Old 06-27-2017, 11:10 AM

Years Playing: 0.1
Courses Played: 20
Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default What helped you break through to the next level?

Asking players 950+ rated what helped them break through? At what point in your development did you feel like you broke through to a new level and what helped facilitate that? I just got my first pdga rating at 884 but I feel like I have the potential to get above 950. How long did it take you guys to get that far? Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2017, 11:21 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 70
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 49 Times in 24 Posts

Get off of the course and go throw in a field.
Learn your discs.
Take video of you throwing and correct one thing at a time.
Stay off of the course and go throw in a field.

Rinse.
Repeat.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-27-2017, 11:23 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 7
Niced 22 Times in 14 Posts

putting.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:28 AM

Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

I would imagine that's the case for most people, but putting is actually the strongest part of my game. It's tee to green that I struggle with
Old 06-27-2017, 11:45 AM
*Administrator*

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 127
Niced 179 Times in 111 Posts

if you can consistently drain putts at ~30' then you have a great advantage over many players. Discing down can help with the tee to green issue. I'm not sure what you are bagging and choosing to throw off the tee... but, if you are picking out a speed 10+ you are likely making a bad choice and are throwing wild. Try going all the way down to a good driving putter and slowly working your way back up. Most players don't need anything above a speed 9 (innova speed rating so whatever is comparable to the makes you are throwing)... discing down will also help reveal any errors you are making when driving and approaching.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:23 PM

Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noill Golf View Post
if you can consistently drain putts at ~30' then you have a great advantage over many players. Discing down can help with the tee to green issue. I'm not sure what you are bagging and choosing to throw off the tee... but, if you are picking out a speed 10+ you are likely making a bad choice and are throwing wild. Try going all the way down to a good driving putter and slowly working your way back up. Most players don't need anything above a speed 9 (innova speed rating so whatever is comparable to the makes you are throwing)... discing down will also help reveal any errors you are making when driving and approaching.
In Practice I average about 7-8/10 from 30 feet. In actual rounds its likely a little less, but still much better than most people at my rating. Could definitely improve still. Ive done that on a couple holes at my local courses. I now throw midrange at a reachable par 4 because it isn't worth the risk of throwing driver. I really struggle with short putter holes oddly enough. I have a bad tendency to release really early on those tight short throws which on the heavily wooded courses of western NC spells trouble. Unfortunately we don't have a lot of long open shots where it might make sense to disc down and play safe. I'm just not hitting lines. Having a solid flick putter would also benefit me I think
Old 06-27-2017, 12:44 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 142
Niced 31 Times in 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethoho View Post
In Practice I average about 7-8/10 from 30 feet. In actual rounds its likely a little less, but still much better than most people at my rating. Could definitely improve still. Ive done that on a couple holes at my local courses. I now throw midrange at a reachable par 4 because it isn't worth the risk of throwing driver. I really struggle with short putter holes oddly enough. I have a bad tendency to release really early on those tight short throws which on the heavily wooded courses of western NC spells trouble. Unfortunately we don't have a lot of long open shots where it might make sense to disc down and play safe. I'm just not hitting lines. Having a solid flick putter would also benefit me I think
If you live near Sawmills Veterans Park in Sawmills NC, Catawba Meadows is not far from you. That course is mostly wide open. A good place for you to work on discing down. Glenn C. Hilton also has a few open holes mixed in with the tight wooded ones.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 123
Niced 105 Times in 69 Posts

Besides putting, throwing straight

Niced: (1)
Old 06-27-2017, 12:52 PM

Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
If you live near Sawmills Veterans Park in Sawmills NC, Catawba Meadows is not far from you. That course is mostly wide open. A good place for you to work on discing down. Glenn C. Hilton also has a few open holes mixed in with the tight wooded ones.
The courses I play most are Sawmills and Glenn. I rarely play Catawba this time of year because of the heat but will definitely be heading that way more often in the fall. Glenn has some open holes but only one that requires a driver (#7) and there's no reason not to throw it there. I've only really gotten into trouble there once or twice in the last 30 rounds there. Probably a couple of wooded holes where I could still disc down at Glenn (#13 and #16). I will give it a go

Old 06-27-2017, 12:54 PM

Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbernine View Post
Get off of the course and go throw in a field.
Learn your discs.
Take video of you throwing and correct one thing at a time.
Stay off of the course and go throw in a field.

Rinse.
Repeat.
Field work is definitely at the top of my list. Going today actually. Do you think it would also be helpful to set up on a tight hole and throw it over and over trying to hit a particular line?