Old 08-28-2017, 07:15 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default Top card pure push putters

Hey.

I've been working on my putting form lately after starting the season attempting a pure push/shovel putt ala Feldberg. I have switched to more of a spush putt, allowing my elbow and wrist to break, while sticking with a low stroke.

I've noticed that all the disc golf I've watched on Jomez and CCDG has involved lead cards with 3-4 players who either throw a pure spin putt, or an arguable spush like McBeth or Ricky.

Seems like the putting form gurus preach pure push putting, but the proof is in the pudding on these lead cards. What's the deal?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2017, 07:41 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I could have created this thread myself. I have been working on push putting the last few weeks.

I headed up to Cincy to watch the Idlewild Open and hung out near the practice basket for several hours. I didn't see even one pro pure push putting.

It's really giving me some pause on spending tons of time on it seeing as the guys who do this for cash must not think the benefits of push putting are worth the drawbacks.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 144
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 415 Times in 232 Posts

I think a lot of this boils down to how much time you have to devote to practice. Spin putting is arguably a superior style *IF* you practice it religiously. Otherwise you'll either be super hot or super cold. Push putting is a better style for players wanting quick improvement without as much practicing to get a consistent feel. The top pros are doing this for a living so the edge that spin putting has is worth the effort. Push putting is a bit more slump-proof so it's preferable for a lot of players that really struggle with consistency, less moving parts, etc.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 166
Niced 131 Times in 67 Posts
Send a message via AIM to New013

The top guys tend to encounter wind a fair amount. Spin putting is far superior in the wind than push putting. I'd guess that has something to do with it. I'd say most of them spush which is a mixture, I vote go with that.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:22 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 49
Niced 10 Times in 8 Posts

I went through this about a year ago, and am still trying to settle on a definitive style. What I have found is that what Feldberg describes in his clinics and what he does are two different things, and no top pros use a strictly push style. I think the closest you may find is Barry Schultz. Bottom line is your putt will need some sort of spin to stabilize its flight. How much is up to you and your comfort level. I tried to make the strictly push work for a while. I was great inside 20ft, iffy from 20-30, and almost couldn't get it to the basket outside 30. I started to incorporate more wrist and a more aggressive snap and that helped quite a bit. Accuracy went down at first but with practice it got better. As mentioned before, as you have time to work on your accuracy, and it takes practice, incorporating more spin is beneficial. I like Ricky's style as it incorporates the leg muscles and weight shift to propel the disc forward instead of straight spin stabilization like MJ, Simon, Eagle, or Kj Nybo. I'm using a mostly Ricky style putt now and my accuracy is about the same from 20-50 ft, inside I just have to think about releasing lower.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 34
Niced 153 Times in 99 Posts

Ricky's putt is much more of a push putt than a spin putt, no? Not sure I'd even call it a spush
Old 08-28-2017, 11:36 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 156
Niced 31 Times in 19 Posts

I think the rise of the spin putters (if that's even what's happening), has a lot to due with the evolution of basket design. When I think of push putters, I'm thinking Climo, Schultz and Feldy. When those guys started playing, there were still a lot of 1st and 2nd generation baskets out there. Some or most of these had a single layer of chains. If your putt was coming down as it contacted the chains, there was a greater likelihood of it sticking. The faster spin putt, with a flatter trajectory, was riskier with the baskets of the day.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-28-2017, 11:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 49
Niced 10 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by @iDiscGolf View Post
Ricky's putt is much more of a push putt than a spin putt, no? Not sure I'd even call it a spush
The prep is definitely push, but the release is a low spin.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:50 AM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 57
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 142 Times in 124 Posts

Ricky's is the closest to a push, but his wrist action has some snap.

The most pure push guy is Feldburg but with his injuries and whatnot he's not been playing as much.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:12 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 62
Niced 125 Times in 45 Posts

This is a topic that i have thought about a lot because I feel like the push putting philosophy that certain pros... push (heh) screwed me up for a long time.

People like Stokely or Feldberg who have said that push putting is superior to spin putting and the only real way to putt are just wrong. Straight up. When people like Feldberg were preaching push putt or die, Anthon was winning putting championships with pure spin putts. As far as i can tell there's not an increase in the number of guys spin putting, there have been really good spin putters for a long time they just weren't as vocal about it.

I gave up the push putt, have more spin in my spush these days, and my putting is much better for it.