Old 07-13-2017, 04:28 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 125 Times in 92 Posts
Question Vector vs. Matrix

So I went my local DG shop today to reclaim a lost disc and decided to treat myself to a new toy to justify the trip. Much to my surprise that disc punched #10 on my buy 10, get 1 free plan.

I choose a Vector, even though I am quite happy with my Matrix. On paper, they look almost identical but I needed a brighter mid, so I grabbed it. How do they compare, especially for a noodle arm who throws ~50-55 mph at release?

TIA.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2017, 05:26 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 96 Times in 79 Posts

Vector has more solid HSS but not much fade, while the Matrix has a moderate fade but less HSS. So basically the Vector is a teebird while the matrix is an eagle... kinda. I prefer the flight of beaded mids (they fly different in my eyes, maybe not actually but to me it's different lol) so I wasn't really fond of the matrix as its HSS just wasn't what I wanted

Niced: (2)
Old 07-13-2017, 09:48 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 16
Niced 80 Times in 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsammons View Post
Vector has more solid HSS but not much fade, while the Matrix has a moderate fade but less HSS. So basically the Vector is a teebird while the matrix is an eagle... kinda. I prefer the flight of beaded mids (they fly different in my eyes, maybe not actually but to me it's different lol) so I wasn't really fond of the matrix as its HSS just wasn't what I wanted
This is a very good example, but I'll give another. Vector is almost exactly a roc3 where the matrix flies like a buzzz with a little more fade at the end. Both are great mids, but finding flat vectors is a pain.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-13-2017, 09:53 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 54 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwindacatcher View Post
This is a very good example, but I'll give another. Vector is almost exactly a roc3 where the matrix flies like a buzzz with a little more fade at the end. Both are great mids, but finding flat vectors is a pain.
Whereas flat matrix is the norm, no? Mines flat as precision ground steel. Loooooove that disc!

Old 07-13-2017, 09:54 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
Whereas flat matrix is the norm, no? Mines flat as precision ground steel. Loooooove that disc!
Yep. I've only seen domey matrix from the curcuit.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 146
Niced 445 Times in 249 Posts

My lazy comparisons:

Domey Matrix = Like a Z Buzzz
flat Matrix = Like a Buzzz SS (eventually)

Domey Vector = Like a really beefy Roc
flat Vector = Like a Roc, Roc3

I think the Vector is a better mold, a bit more versatile. I think the Matrix feels better and is great for straight lines but not much else.

Old 07-14-2017, 05:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 122
Niced 351 Times in 235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBokor View Post
So I went my local DG shop today to reclaim a lost disc and decided to treat myself to a new toy to justify the trip. Much to my surprise that disc punched #10 on my buy 10, get 1 free plan.

I choose a Vector, even though I am quite happy with my Matrix. On paper, they look almost identical but I needed a brighter mid, so I grabbed it. How do they compare, especially for a noodle arm who throws ~50-55 mph at release?

TIA.

Vector is a little slower and more overstable.

Matrix is a bit faster, straight to fade at approach distance, with a tiny bit of high speed turn before fading when crushed. It gets noticeably better skips than Vectors do , especially on low flying flicks.

Vector is an old school Roc style wing with a flatter top and slightly more aerodynamic wing profile compared head to head against a Rancho Roc.

Matrix is a more modern, beadless rim shape that I find more comfortable than the Vector.

I think both are good molds, but for how I use mids in this slot I prefer the Vector. It also feels incredibly similar to the Axis I bag.

Old 07-14-2017, 06:30 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 43 Times in 26 Posts

i can not stress this enough: the matrix is a failed mold. just like the tensor. neither of them improved on the godlike disc that is the vector, and in todays world of skinny grip bags, there simply isnt room for that crap.

Old 07-15-2017, 02:34 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeMH View Post
i can not stress this enough: the matrix is a failed mold. just like the tensor. neither of them improved on the godlike disc that is the vector, and in todays world of skinny grip bags, there simply isnt room for that crap.
HAHAHAHAHAH

No.

Old 07-15-2017, 12:40 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 29
Niced 44 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeMH View Post
I somewhat agree. The Matrix isn't what people wanted for the most part. It's not a bad mold, just not as good as others already out there. I like the Alias better for similar lines, and already have 2 of those.

Now the Roc globe, aka Vector, I hate it as much as I hate Rocs, which is, quite a bit. They don't feel right in the hand and just don't fly all that great. Nothing my Envy can't do better.

What we need is a true Verdict clone. That is the best OS disc ever made. Would love an OM version.