#1  
Old 05-25-2017, 10:50 AM
jjtwinnova's Avatar
jjtwinnova jjtwinnova is online now
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 37
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 841
Niced 63 Times in 45 Posts
Default Lemon Lake, Crown Point, IN

I am visiting the Valparaiso area mid June, and I would really like to play the Lemon Lake complex, but there has not been many recent reviews/updates. Is the course in good shape? Still open? Worth the stop? Also open to other suggestions for the area. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-25-2017, 11:03 AM
wjgray2 wjgray2 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Urbana, IL
Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 75
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 13
Niced 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Its worth the stop to play Lemon Lake. The Red Course is closed for course re-design due to the loss of all the ash trees. The Gold / Silver course and the Blue course are fun. The White course is shorter in length but also has some fun holes. Lemon Lake is worth the visit.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-25-2017, 11:10 AM
numbernine's Avatar
numbernine numbernine is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: indiana
Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 70
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 407
Niced 49 Times in 24 Posts
Default

If you're in Valpo and have only one course to play, then you need to play Rogers Lakewood in Valpo. IMHO, it's in the top 3 courses in the state. Legit, make sure you go check that out.
Lemon Lake is fine, but I think that the only draw is that there are 4(5 with gold) courses on site.

Rogers is a better course than all of the courses at LL.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1773

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-25-2017, 11:13 AM
jjtwinnova's Avatar
jjtwinnova jjtwinnova is online now
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 37
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 841
Niced 63 Times in 45 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbernine View Post
If you're in Valpo and have only one course to play, then you need to play Rogers Lakewood in Valpo. IMHO, it's in the top 3 courses in the state. Legit, make sure you go check that out.
Lemon Lake is fine, but I think that the only draw is that there are 4(5 with gold) courses on site.

Rogers is a better course than all of the courses at LL.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1773
I used to live in the area, and the people I'm staying with live 2 miles from Rogers. I will be going there. Probably multiple times. Thought a daytrip to Lemon Lake would be a good idea too.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-25-2017, 11:15 AM
BogeyNoMore's Avatar
BogeyNoMore BogeyNoMore is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Walled Lake, MI
Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 225
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 8,081
Niced 291 Times in 185 Posts
Default

I agree Rogers Lakewood is probably better than LL Silver, but not by that much IMHO.... really enjoyed my round on the Gold Silver course.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-25-2017, 11:16 AM
numbernine's Avatar
numbernine numbernine is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: indiana
Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 70
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 407
Niced 49 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjtwinnova View Post
I used to live in the area, and the people I'm staying with live 2 miles from Rogers. I will be going there. Probably multiple times. Thought a daytrip to Lemon Lake would be a good idea too.
It's fine. White isn't worth playing, IMHO. Red is OK. Blue is OK. Silver and Gold are the most fun for me. Just don't expect to have your mind blown.
The number of courses is why the PDGA pimps that place so hard. They aren't super amazing courses.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-25-2017, 11:22 AM
Cgkdisc's Avatar
Cgkdisc Cgkdisc is online now
.:Hall of Fame Member:.
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Twin Cities
Years Playing: 28.3
Courses Played: 648
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 10,940
Niced 276 Times in 161 Posts
Default

Rogers has more blue level holes (24) than LL Silver (18). IMO, LL Silver is a bit better than Rogers even if you play the best 18 at Rogers unless you like a few more open holes and more OB including some water.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-25-2017, 11:25 AM
notroman's Avatar
notroman notroman is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Highland Park, IL
Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 194
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,339
Niced 42 Times in 35 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Rogers has more blue level holes (24) than LL Silver (18). IMO, LL Silver is a bit better than Rogers even if you play the best 18 at Rogers unless you like a few more open holes and more water OB.
Do you mean Silver holes are better statistically?

They're both fine courses but I enjoy playing Rogers Lakewood more because there's a bit more variety.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-25-2017, 11:49 AM
Cgkdisc's Avatar
Cgkdisc Cgkdisc is online now
.:Hall of Fame Member:.
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Twin Cities
Years Playing: 28.3
Courses Played: 648
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 10,940
Niced 276 Times in 161 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by notroman View Post
Do you mean Silver holes are better statistically?

They're both fine courses but I enjoy playing Rogers Lakewood more because there's a bit more variety.
I come from the premise that fundamentally disc golf hole design is about shaping shots using trees and elevation when available (definite drawback of Fairfield despite how well players rate it). Water can be a net negative depending where it's placed when potential disc loss can exceed challenge and aesthetic benefits. I've tried to judiciously use water in design despite these misgivings because it's "expected". It's this designer calculus above why I would personally consider LL Silver as just slightly better than your "pick 18" at Rogers even though I would agree that you get more golf and variety playing 24 at Rogers if LL Silver stood alone without other courses. But I would play either anytime I was passing through.
Reply With Quote
 

  #10  
Old 05-25-2017, 12:16 PM
notroman's Avatar
notroman notroman is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Highland Park, IL
Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 194
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,339
Niced 42 Times in 35 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
I come from the premise that fundamentally disc golf hole design is about shaping shots using trees and elevation when available (definite drawback of Fairfield despite how well players rate it). Water can be a net negative depending where it's placed when potential disc loss can exceed challenge and aesthetic benefits. I've tried to judiciously use water in design despite these misgivings because it's "expected". It's this designer calculus above why I would personally consider LL Silver as just slightly better than your "pick 18" at Rogers even though I would agree that you get more golf and variety playing 24 at Rogers if LL Silver stood alone without other courses. But I would play either anytime I was passing through.
I can see your point. Silver definitely has a more "clean cut" feel to it. The shots are right there in front of you. The reason I prefer Rogers is because I feel the shots require a slightly higher level of control. Aside from the obvious elevation changes, Rogers also has holes that require a hyzer release that slowly flips up flat, gentle turning shots that pan out, etc. Any time a course forces me to go beyond the usual straight/hyzer/anhyzer shots I appreciate it more. For instance, many people disagree with hole 12 at Fairfield but I love it. You don't run into too many holes where the shot requires a nose up angle on a disc or incredible speed control.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.