Old 11-12-2017, 12:44 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 0.6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 105 Times in 46 Posts
Default Next step up from a Leopard?

What is the next step up from a Leopard in distance if I've got an average 50 year old man's arm speed and want a perfectly straight flight through tightly wooded courses?

I'm looking at a River but didn't know if there is a better/easier/longer option out there.

I've tried several distance drivers and I am not ready for those so as in tennis, I would prefer to beat opponents/the course with consistency and placement instead of power.

Distance drivers I've tried...152g Sidewinder (turn & burn), 158g Tern (too high of speed for me at this point), 168g Valkyrie (for some reason this throws a lot heavier than 168g), Avenger SS (my favorite of the four but doesn't give me any more glide than my Leopard).

Thanks for any helpful suggestions you can give!

TripleB
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2017, 01:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 32
Niced 113 Times in 68 Posts

Pro Beast? It's a speed 10 like the Avenger SS but will be a little more stable initially and Pro plastic usually = lots of glide.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-12-2017, 01:06 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 29
Niced 29 Times in 19 Posts

I can throw my leopards farther, on average, than my other drivers in my bag. I let the glide do the work. Nose down with a little air under it, i can get 350'.

Old 11-12-2017, 01:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 751 Times in 511 Posts

Sidewinder or Roadrunner in a reasonable weight like 165-170g. Likely Gstar so they will be mellow. They'll be much more stable than the light DX Sidewinder you have, but not overstable. Those two discs are the easiest distance out there I think for a 60-70% throw for me, and Gstar has good glide in general. I think those two discs are pretty interchangeable in flight depending on the specific disc, they do feel a little different in hand. You will likely enjoy Gstar since you like gummy Trilogy plastic.

Old 11-12-2017, 01:21 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 110
Niced 28 Times in 24 Posts

I agree with slowplastic, try an upper 160's Sidewinder, I'd go GStar too.

Old 11-12-2017, 01:24 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 28
Niced 139 Times in 76 Posts

How far are you throwing the Leopard now? I see guys in their 50s/60s that throw around 260' so if you aren't there consistently I would say stick with the Leopard. You can't buy distance, at least not any significant distance, unless you have sufficient form/power.

If you like the feel of the Valkyrie and want to keep trying with it, maybe a StarLite Valkyrie would work for a lighter weight disc. Or maybe a Star Sidewinder or Roadrunner around 160g. Stick with speed 9 and lower if your arm speed is lower.

Niced: (2)
Old 11-12-2017, 01:34 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 28
Niced 139 Times in 76 Posts

Found your "tale of the tape" post from earlier. Get those median distances with the mids and fairways up closer to those max distances. Then you'll see a bump up with the speed 9 discs. Basically revisit slowplastic's advice in that thread.

Niced: (2)
Old 11-12-2017, 01:45 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 54 Times in 31 Posts

Dude. Stop buying discs and learn the few staple molds that you have. Throw your putters and your roc/buzzz. You'll be happier a year from now.

Old 11-12-2017, 01:51 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 24 Times in 22 Posts

Or and S line FD, it’s a smaller step up than the SW, but it has some stability and tons of glide. Very workable disc

Old 11-12-2017, 01:56 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 24
Niced 37 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian.w View Post
Dude. Stop buying discs and learn the few staple molds that you have. Throw your putters and your roc/buzzz. You'll be happier a year from now.
While sound advice, you cannot deny the pleasure gained from disc addiction. I'm about 2 discs shy of needing to start a support group myself. Speaking of which does anyone have ...

OP - I don't really feel like their is a faster leopard equivalent personally. By the time you have the arm speed to throw 9,10, or 11 speed you will likely be turning the discs in that flight rating over with full power throws. Discs like the Sidewinder, RR, TD, etc. Slower speed fairway drivers do not fly like faster discs. Trust me, you don't really want them to, they cover different shots.

If you want to get a faster disc that will be workable but still have enough stability to not turn into a roller on you I would say the Beast, CD2, Escape would all be good choices.