Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 12-09-2016, 04:56 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Control Driver between Teebird and Destroyer

I have been throwing teebirds and destroyers for a long time now. When I started throwing them it didn't seem like most people threw anything in between them. Now it seems like everyone who can throw far throws either a PD or a thunderbird in that control driver slot. I have thrown both of these and they both seem to be barely longer than a teebird. Is the control driver slot really necessary for me? Am I throwing the wrong ones? For reference I can throw around 450-500 feet.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 12-09-2016, 05:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 78
Niced 125 Times in 94 Posts

I'd still say that a PD or thunderbird would be a good addition. Could throw the same distances as a teebird with one, but on lower lines most likely. I don't even carry a stable speed 7 (only a patriot) and most of the time I can get a PD to do what I need in that range straight or hyzer.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:13 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 110
Niced 24 Times in 21 Posts

I don't think its strictly necessary but it sure wouldn't hurt to give a PD a try and see what it can do for you. Fantastic disc, you'd have no problem moving it if you didn't like it.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 103
Niced 452 Times in 246 Posts

I dropped from Teebirds/Eagles to Gazelles when I started leaning heavily on the Speed 9s. Teebirds got too close. But I throw my OLFs way more than I throw my Destroyers. Although I don't have the distance you do.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 8
Niced 528 Times in 424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgesummers View Post
I have been throwing teebirds and destroyers for a long time now. When I started throwing them it didn't seem like most people threw anything in between them. Now it seems like everyone who can throw far throws either a PD or a thunderbird in that control driver slot. I have thrown both of these and they both seem to be barely longer than a teebird. Is the control driver slot really necessary for me? Am I throwing the wrong ones? For reference I can throw around 450-500 feet.
The right disc, and whether it's necessary or not, depends on the courses you play and the type of shots you like to throw.

So slightly faster than the Thunderbird will be the Orc and the Starfire. And faster than those are the Wraith, Avenger, Teerex, DD, etc.

Old 12-09-2016, 05:36 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 1
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'd say the shot I am really missing is the distance driver shot that doesn't finish either left or right. When I am playing longer par fours through the woods its hard for me to throw a destroyer and not have it finish left or right. It'd be nice to have a driver that got a little more distance than a teebird, but I could still make finish straight. Has anyone thrown a CD2 for this role?

Also, the Inbounds chart has a PD flying about 40 feet further than a teebird. Is it really that much longer?
Old 12-09-2016, 05:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 8
Niced 528 Times in 424 Posts

Quote:
I'd say the shot I am really missing is the distance driver shot that doesn't finish either left or right. When I am playing longer par fours through the woods its hard for me to throw a destroyer and not have it finish left or right. It'd be nice to have a driver that got a little more distance than a teebird, but I could still make finish straight. Has anyone thrown a CD2 for this role?

Also, the Inbounds chart has a PD flying about 40 feet further than a teebird. Is it really that much longer?
For a straight driver, you might look at the Krait. Very straight with an almost straight down dump fade.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:49 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 127
Niced 79 Times in 40 Posts

Quote:
I'd say the shot I am really missing is the distance driver shot that doesn't finish either left or right.
Unicorn, by I wish I had one too Discs.

Old 12-09-2016, 06:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 607 Times in 424 Posts

Quote:

Watching enough McBeth footage, he seems to use worked in Thunderbirds for that shot. He can throw Teebirds or Thunderbirds on 400' shots regularly, but will typically use Teebirds for the 330-400' range and they will start to turn over, whereas a Thunderbird will have more of a hyzer at the low end of that range, while being a power straight disc near 400'.

I don't have your power, so I would use those discs for fairway shots that have more consistent stability and a little more wind tolerance. Although I have thrown a mellow Thunderbird or two that had a milder HSS and good carry until a sweeping end...I imagine someone with 50'+ more power than me would find it would be mellow the entire flight. Have you tried a worked in champ Thunderbird?

Old 12-09-2016, 06:21 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 176 Times in 84 Posts

SL might do what you're looking for, especially if you beat the low-speed stability out of it. By the flight numbers the thunderbird looks like it should be straight, but I mostly see people using them for shot-shaping type throws especially when they're seasoned.

The vulcan is the straightest fading distance driver that I've thrown. However, that's even faster than a destroyer so not really what the OP was asking about.