Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: Do you like hybrid ball/disc golf courses?
Love them! Wish all ball golf courses offered disc golf! 30 28.85%
They're okay, would play if free, but generally not worth the extra $ 32 30.77%
Don't like them very much, but don't mind playing tournaments on them. 13 12.50%
They are awful, wish the trend of using ball golf courses would stop. 29 27.88%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-23-2017, 04:35 PM

Courses Played: 46
Niced 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default Do You Like Hybrid Ball Golf/Disc Golf Courses?

Seems like most people I run into really like playing hybrid ball/disc golf courses, or tournaments set up on a ball golf course for a weekend etc.

It's a bit of a thing of mine that I really hate these layouts and it drives me nuts when a good tournament is hosted at a ball golf course. I think maybe it's because I'm a semi-serious ball golfer as well, but the whole process feels bastardized.

My main thing is that ball golf courses are architecturally designed to funnel each tee to the green. The 18 greens are the focus of the entire layout, and as disc golfers, we're not allowed on them. It's like going for dessert at the Cheesecake Factory and being told that the cheesecake is off limit and that you're not even allowed to look in the display case.

If baskets were on the greens I'd feel differently, but every layout I've personally played has the greens as OB and the baskets tucked into the fairway/bush lines for the most part.

Also, in my experience disc golfers are absolutely horrendous with golf course etiquette, and while I'm not normally a big etiquette guy, the last couple of rounds have driven me a bit nuts with people not allowing others to play through, taking multiple throws from the same spot in the fairway, driving their carts literally everywhere (including somehow onto and over elevated tee boxes) and generally not having any understanding/appreciation of/respect for traditional ball golf course etiquette.

That said, I played a course in Washington (Tall Firs) that was an old golf course that was purchased and redesigned into pure disc golf course, and I loved that. As ball golf declines and more courses are sold off around the country, I'd love to see a few bought and converted to true disc golf courses. Those would be great places for tournaments.

Wondering how others feel about this? Am I just turning into a curmudgeony old man?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2017, 04:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 37
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 346 Times in 182 Posts

It definitely makes for boring tournaments to watch.

Old 08-23-2017, 04:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 132
Niced 216 Times in 160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
It definitely makes for boring tournaments to watch.
Its almost as boring to play.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-23-2017, 05:06 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 132
Niced 17 Times in 9 Posts

Depends on the course, but it sure is fun playing DG a golf cart.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:21 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 72
Niced 78 Times in 41 Posts

One of my favorite disc golf courses is on an abandoned real golf course. It is possible to do it well. Real golf and disc golf seem to coexist pretty well at Wild Horse DGC in Las Vegas and the course is fun one to play.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 378
Niced 8 Times in 5 Posts

I've only played about 3 that I would play again.

It's really hard to design an interesting difficult layout on most of them because they are so open.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 138
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 497 Times in 243 Posts

My feeling depends 100% on the design of the course.

Disc golf on a ball golf course that more or less follows the layout of the ball golf course or only utilizes the open space of the ball golf fairways...gross.

A disc golf course that is designed without regard to the ball golf layout (except, of course, where safety and flow is concerned) can be good. At that point, it's really no different than a course anywhere else. If it was set up competently and is maintained properly, you'll get no complaints from me (and probably repeat business).
Old 08-23-2017, 05:36 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 26
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 49 Times in 26 Posts

When watching DG on ball golf courses, I find the the golf green and sand trap OBs to be stupidly random to how a good hole would be designed. Also, many of the courses on ball golf courses tend to place too many baskets on inclines/knobs and often near OB in addition. Leads to too much safe play.

I'm not sure if any courses require a player to use a cart, but I like to walk when I play and like the health benefits of walking.

I'll probably never play a disc golf course located on a ball golf course because I have zero interest in being affiliated with ball golf and its social history. Golf courses also waste huge amounts of water and contaminate biosystems with chemicals (better products are being used more now) which I find to be a problem for a sport that has a stiff penalty for destruction of living plants. I guess I should give some credit for the 2-for-1 benefit of a ball/disc golf course as compared with using land to build an entirely new course.

Repurposing abandoned ball golf courses as disc golf courses sounds likes an excellent idea.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-23-2017, 05:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21.4
Courses Played: 135
Niced 116 Times in 68 Posts

We have one here https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=8981, but I don't care to play it much. I think it's a pretty good course, and I'm glad it's available for those around here that do like that type of thing, but wide open, long, somewhat boring (to me) holes are just not my cup-o-tea. Give me a nice wooded course with some fair lines any day.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:00 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 64 Times in 38 Posts

I've only played one, and that was at Ledgestone last year (Sunset Hills). Every time I picked up my disc, it was covered in wet grass clippings.