Old 10-28-2014, 03:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 15
Niced 133 Times in 110 Posts
Default Heat

I'd like to hear REAL reviews of the disc and not people that didn't hit aces in their last AceRace event.

How is it as a moderate distance driver?

What do you like about it?

What are some good uses for it/Type of shots?

Pros/Cons?

What type do you have (or want) ?

For myself. I got 2 blue discs with 1 Flag stamp and 1 Black/Silver Shatter both 165g.

I liked it as a moderate distance driver. It can be powered to get a nice S shape. I treat it like a Valkyrie when throwing, so I hyzer release so it rides US then shapes back. It would be good for high anhyzers, low hyzerflips, tomahawks, and shaping fast shots around obstacles. Cons: sometimes it would flip over, sometimes it would hyzer like mad (but it was windy when I threw it) It has a lot of glide...that can be + for getting more distance and float on a disc and it skips quite a bit as well...so - is that it can glide off to Narnia and/or skip to Mordor.

Overall I like it, but it may not be a fully committed bagged disc, I will probably always carry 1 to use in tight spots or to let a friend play
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2014, 03:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 135
Niced 243 Times in 179 Posts

well its no sidewinder
Old 10-28-2014, 03:29 PM
Banned

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sounds domey
Old 10-29-2014, 12:31 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 63 Times in 43 Posts

i really like the disc faster then a roadrunner slow and easier to grip then a mamba. if you like how a mamba flies but don't like the shallow rim give this a try.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 83
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

i got a flat orange one and a domey blue one. The flat orange one is overstable at low speeds (stand still 200ft) and very flippy at high speeds (x step 300ft). The domey blue one is understable at low speeds and almost perfectly neutral at high speeds. It kinda doesn't make any sense, but it's true. Expect it to be re-tooled to be more understable for commercial release.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:50 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 30
Niced 25 Times in 19 Posts

Yep, I will withhold any judgement until it is commercially released (or if it's commercially released).

Last year's retooling of the 2013 Ace Race disc to the production Mantis was ridiculous. Very different discs.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:54 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 22.9
Courses Played: 132
Niced 268 Times in 127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrawk View Post
i got a flat orange one and a domey blue one. The flat orange one is overstable at low speeds (stand still 200ft) and very flippy at high speeds (x step 300ft). The domey blue one is understable at low speeds and almost perfectly neutral at high speeds. It kinda doesn't make any sense, but it's true. Expect it to be re-tooled to be more understable for commercial release.
All 80 of the ones we got had uber dome. I didn't know any of them came out flat; that would have been a totally different disc.

I'm throwing one occasionally looking to replace the SL. It's in that ballpark for me.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 83
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
All 80 of the ones we got had uber dome. I didn't know any of them came out flat; that would have been a totally different disc.

I'm throwing one occasionally looking to replace the SL. It's in that ballpark for me.
Yeah we had 80 discs too (40 players... on Oct 25th.. so we got a late batch) Seemed like most of the Orange and Strawberry colored were flat like stalkers. The flight plate felt normal. The Domey ones were all very soft and pliable. The flight plate felt ultra thin on those.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:18 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 59
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 212 Times in 178 Posts

Mine is a 172 with a massive some, looks like half a globe on the ground.

Great glide, and I can throw it hard to get a slowly turning right finish shot, or Hyzerflip it to finish straight or a bit left.

Can't take a full power throw without burning though.

Overall I like it, but not enough to kick my Katana or Hu and I font have much of a gap between them.

I'll keep it since I like the stamp and a lot of my friends who are newer to the game like to borrow it.

Won't be bagging it though.

The Heat is also not a great name. Should have saved that for a real OS bomber.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:47 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 1
Niced 63 Times in 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedV View Post
Yep, I will withhold any judgement until it is commercially released (or if it's commercially released).

Last year's retooling of the 2013 Ace Race disc to the production Mantis was ridiculous. Very different discs.
this real frustrated me in the fact that I really like the ace race version. I don't have any thing against the z form of the mantis but they don't work for the same shots that the ace race one did. Hope they leave this years alone as I think it fits into line up well.