Old 07-03-2014, 06:28 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Air Zoo Course Closed

I have just been informed that the Air Zoo has permanently closed its disc golf course and will be removing the baskets tomorrow. Thank you to everyone who made playing on that course so much fun.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2014, 06:54 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 16 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan McGee View Post
I have just been informed that the Air Zoo has permanently closed its disc golf course and will be removing the baskets tomorrow. Thank you to everyone who made playing on that course so much fun.
Why is it being pulled?

Regardless of the reason, sorry for your loss.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:12 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 9
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glide View Post
Why is it being pulled?

No real reason was given, just a notice given to the different league managers. I'll update as more information becomes avaiable.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 63
Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

Damn... was hoping to bag that one during world's next year.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:48 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 28.2
Courses Played: 124
Niced 5 Times in 3 Posts

It was a great course for a quick, carefree round. Easy, but still interesting. I'll miss it greatly.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:12 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 5 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glide View Post
Why is it being pulled?

This was our area's busy/easy course that had more than its share of punks. In the four years the course has existed, the Air Zoo (which is an aviation museum) has always threatened to pull the course due to rampant vandalism, drinking, shirtless-playing young a--holes.

It pains me to see the sport becoming overrun with these ne'er-do-wells. When I was in my early twenties two decades ago, Disc Golf was reknown for the opposite effect, taking trashy public parks and transforming them into safer areas due to the increased positive traffic.

When you have something awesome and inexpensive, it's going to bring 'em out of the woodwork, especially now that we're nearing the critical mass it's going to take before there are pay-to-play options feasibly operating in bigger quantities.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:35 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 5 Times in 3 Posts

I remember, though, the surly crowds that used to inhabit Brewer Park near Grand Rapids when I played there a lot in the '90s. It was that type of atmosphere here sometimes, but next to an A-level museum where they had an image to uphold for the general public.

I knew this day was coming, but wished it never would.

I'd love to see Prairie View Park get those baskets, now that they're available...
Old 07-04-2014, 02:27 AM

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 14
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
I remember, though, the surly crowds that used to inhabit Brewer Park near Grand Rapids when I played there a lot in the '90s. It was that type of atmosphere here sometimes, but next to an A-level museum where they had an image to uphold for the general public.

I knew this day was coming, but wished it never would.

I'd love to see Prairie View Park get those baskets, now that they're available...
Brewer is where I learned the game around 10 years ago. Even then, it was still a bunch of teens and low lifes just looking for a place to get high without persecution. I recently started going back to it about 2 years ago, and seems to be better. More of a police presence for sure. Couple regulars said that Kent County had started putting under cover cops there to see who was actually discing and who was just there to get high.

I live a couple miles away from it now. the new two 18 hole course configuration took some time to get used to for me.

back on topic though, I never did get a chance to play at the Air Zoo course. How was it?
Old 07-04-2014, 07:21 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 29
Niced 24 Times in 7 Posts

That sucks, but I'm not surprised. Of all the courses in the area, I have ran into more dip****s there than anywhere else.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:54 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 5 Times in 3 Posts

We used to joke that you could enjoy Brewer if you got there before the metalheads woke up at noon. Maybe it's different now; I haven't played it since they first redid it maybe 12 years ago or so? I'll never forget playing through a group of 17. I counted them. Lots of 40's in paper bags (which might've been liquor bottles instead?). When I got 200' ahead of them, the Discs started landing around me. Typical.

The Air Zoo was super easy but with some interesting woods holes. I used to be a mediocre Am-1 player 15 years ago, have no power by today's standards and have shot -10 there. I would imagine pros would be upset if they didn't deuce 9/10 holes.

It was fun, though; that's the key. Some open holes, some wooded holes, and someone like me who throws no more than 300' got to pull my driver out on a couple of them.