Old 07-28-2017, 03:32 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 77 Times in 54 Posts
Default Wrist Activation

Story: So at course yesterday a couple guys were warming up throwing about 20 ft apart or so throwing back and forth... they really seemed focused on keeping their wrist in what appeared to be a curled or cocked position as they were throwing to each other. I didn't think too much of it because you see people do weird stuff all the time. But then one of the guys took some warmup throws on hole one and man the disc was ejecting with pretty incredible launch speed. They were nice enough guys and I would have asked him what the hell he was focusing on with his wrist but my buddy arrived and we got chatting and next thing you know, they were off and playin... opportunity blown, I guess.

So, to speculate and also to find out what's proper, you think he was trying to focus on not allowing wrist to be too loose and/or keeping hand on outside of disc at hit?
What's the proper technique with the wrist? Do you want to resist allowing wrist to slop forward too soon thereby creating a better final lever with your wrist? Is that the idea?
I also assume you want to somewhat resist the curl on the inward pull too, no? I.e., Do you keep a fairly firm wrist through the entirety of the throw? Or at least until the ejection point...?

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2017, 04:22 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 246 Times in 174 Posts

Paul and Sexton have something to say about it here:
https://youtu.be/U0gzNIRxRbY?t=3m17s

But plenty of players do it. Seppo is one of the bigger arms on tour and he curls:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FBrEP4gs9s

Niced: (1)
Old 07-28-2017, 06:11 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 34 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Howl View Post
Paul and Sexton have something to say about it here:
https://youtu.be/U0gzNIRxRbY?t=3m17s

But plenty of players do it. Seppo is one of the bigger arms on tour and he curls:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FBrEP4gs9s

I would beg to differ a bit on Seppo. He really is just bending his elbow in more, not just the wrist. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F5VROQkROI at the 1:23 mark of the start of his reachback shows this. At the 1:24 mark the max reachback, his wrist is straight. Then when he brings the disc back in to his pec at 1:25 you can see that massive elbow angle. He has a long upper arm which makes a huge lever.

I think the massive power he develops does make the wrist bend a bit, but like Sexton said, it's not a conscious thing that players should be doing. The dynamics of the proper throw will generate all the snap you need.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:17 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 31
Niced 246 Times in 174 Posts

^^^ yeah, I guess he does straighten it at the apex of his reachback. He keeps it really cocked right up to that point though...
Old 07-28-2017, 06:49 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyo7 View Post
So, to speculate and also to find out what's proper, you think he was trying to focus on not allowing wrist to be too loose and/or keeping hand on outside of disc at hit?
What's the proper technique with the wrist? Do you want to resist allowing wrist to slop forward too soon thereby creating a better final lever with your wrist? Is that the idea?
I also assume you want to somewhat resist the curl on the inward pull too, no? I.e., Do you keep a fairly firm wrist through the entirety of the throw? Or at least until the ejection point?
Tossing a disc during warmup may involve a lot of wrist action, think of a spin putt, since you aren't planning on throwing it too far or hard at your friend. But for long full tee shots you shouldnt be thinking about your wrist as things will be moving way faster than you can consciously process.

Also, if you haven't check out the sticky thread on disc gold videos. I'm thinking Brad Walkers More Snap #1 and #2 videos might help you visualize the wrist movement. Been awhile since I watched those.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:34 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 77 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted View Post
Tossing a disc during warmup may involve a lot of wrist action, think of a spin putt, since you aren't planning on throwing it too far or hard at your friend. But for long full tee shots you shouldnt be thinking about your wrist as things will be moving way faster than you can consciously process.

Also, if you haven't check out the sticky thread on disc gold videos. I'm thinking Brad Walkers More Snap #1 and #2 videos might help you visualize the wrist movement. Been awhile since I watched those.
Yeah but... this guy seemed very conscientious of his wrist position, like that was what he was working on... As he lined up at the tee he seemed to be making a conscious effort of keeping his wrist locked (it may not have been curled per se, just appeared slightly bent in/wrapped around disc.) Maybe he was focused on keeping wrist locked or maybe he was trying to ensure that he kept his hand on outside of disc (like in closed shoulder snap drill). But forgetting those guys...

**what is proper technique of the wrist?** (I respectfully disagree that one can't or shouldn't think of what wrist is doing. For example, I can let it slop all over the place if I let it). I'm not saying that it's the quintessential piece of the throw but has to have some significance.

So, what's the proper technique with the wrist? [As arm is extending forward] do you want to resist allowing wrist to slop forward too soon thereby creating a better final lever with your wrist? Is that the idea? I also assume you want to somewhat resist the curl in on the inward pull too, no? I.e., Do you keep a fairly firm wrist through the entirety of the throw? Or at least until the ejection point...? What do you guys do?
Old 07-28-2017, 10:01 PM
Par Member

I'm definitely not a teacher or swing guru, hopefully some of our resident experts here can chime in. But my two cents is that the important thing is the pinch between the thumb and forefinger on the disc. This will add some natural wrist stability. In a perfect world, you would want the loosest wrist possible AND the strongest pinch you could have. If you throw correctly, the force will be so strong that the disc will rip out of your hand no matter what you do with your wrist or how hard you pinch. See Heavy Disc's water bottle drill...

Your body rotation whips the arm, which is composed of levers at primarily the elbow, but also a little bit of the shoulder and wrist. So loose muscles are faster than tense muscles, but you need enough tension to keep a grip and everything in the right place. It's hard to describe, I'm sorry. But if you watch the pros on video, you will eventually see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkPwHUVInes&t=17s Watch this video at 0:15 to 0:18 mark. Pause the video and use the period and comma keys to forward or back frame by frame. You can really see Paul's wrist and arm muscles working. Working to hang on to the disc as his elbow swings open and releases the disc down the line. The disc just rips out! He's not cocking or uncocking his wrist...it's pretty much all in line with his forearm the whole time. The elbow is the major hinge. You will get a little tendon bounce in your wrist which adds to the throw, but it's not a conscious hinging or unhinging of the wrist. Watch his follow thru! The wrist stays in line!

Last edited by Inverted; 07-28-2017 at 10:04 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 122
Niced 358 Times in 236 Posts

I curl my wrist on every backhand throw, and putt. Adds spin IME.

Old 07-28-2017, 11:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 185
Niced 625 Times in 464 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
I curl my wrist on every backhand throw, and putt. Adds spin IME.
MVP discs are harder to spin.

Niced: (2)

Old 07-28-2017, 11:07 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 133
Niced 490 Times in 369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
MVP discs are harder to spin.
No they just spin longer and better gotta activate that ****.

(with good technique)