Old 07-16-2017, 04:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 22 Times in 18 Posts
Default Full power grip

I started out with a 3 fingered power grip, leaving the pinkie curled up off the rim. I felt it gave me better control, and reduced grip-lock 100%.

However, this year I've been working on the 4 fingered power grip, and have worked through the awkward feeling of it, and damn, it has added 30-40 feet to my drives. I'm bumping a Tern to 320, whereas 300' was always the top of the tops.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2017, 09:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 68
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 221 Times in 129 Posts

I need to make some adjustments to my grip as well...Got any pictures of what you are talking about? I think I know what a power grip should be but I'm not entirely sure...
Old 07-20-2017, 09:44 PM
Par Member

Niced 25 Times in 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
I started out with a 3 fingered power grip, leaving the pinkie curled up off the rim. I felt it gave me better control, and reduced grip-lock 100%.

However, this year I've been working on the 4 fingered power grip, and have worked through the awkward feeling of it, and damn, it has added 30-40 feet to my drives. I'm bumping a Tern to 320, whereas 300' was always the top of the tops.
Grip lock is actually a misnomer. And it's not caused by your grip.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-27-2017, 05:35 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 20 Times in 16 Posts

I recommend the first portion of this clinic by Will: https://youtu.be/0Vrqk5dUgU8

Of equal quality are his recommendations for the modified power grip (i.e. with the pointer knuckle resting on the bead of the disc, or lack thereof) and the fan grip.

For absolute max D I would be curling all 4 fingers with fingerprints on the inner wall of the rim. However since watching this video I don't really use that grip in rounds, preferring his suggestion.

Also @ discanarchy, to a great extent I disagree - throwing without a good hit and power gripping can/will cause griplock; preventing the disc from ripping from your grip consistently at the correct moment. Yeah there are other things that will cause you to shank a drive, but griplock is a real thing.

Last edited by Alexplz; 07-27-2017 at 05:39 PM. Reason: to DA
Old 08-03-2017, 09:20 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 41
Niced 37 Times in 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
I recommend the first portion of this clinic by Will: https://youtu.be/0Vrqk5dUgU8

Of equal quality are his recommendations for the modified power grip (i.e. with the pointer knuckle resting on the bead of the disc, or lack thereof) and the fan grip.

For absolute max D I would be curling all 4 fingers with fingerprints on the inner wall of the rim. However since watching this video I don't really use that grip in rounds, preferring his suggestion.

Also @ discanarchy, to a great extent I disagree - throwing without a good hit and power gripping can/will cause griplock; preventing the disc from ripping from your grip consistently at the correct moment. Yeah there are other things that will cause you to shank a drive, but griplock is a real thing.
If your body positioning is correct, you will not physically be able to grip lock. The disc cannot stay in your hand long enough.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:17 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 20 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhhNegative View Post
If your body positioning is correct, you will not physically be able to grip lock. The disc cannot stay in your hand long enough.
Yeah well A. not everyone's body positioning is correct 100% of the time and B. one's grip will impact the moment the disc rips out regardless.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:54 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

My power grip feels so weird but ima try what will said in the video with my pointer finger