#1  
Old 07-16-2017, 04:21 PM
Monkeypaws's Avatar
Monkeypaws Monkeypaws is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SE Minnesota
Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 3,024
Niced 22 Times in 18 Posts
Default Full power grip

I started out with a 3 fingered power grip, leaving the pinkie curled up off the rim. I felt it gave me better control, and reduced grip-lock 100%.

However, this year I've been working on the 4 fingered power grip, and have worked through the awkward feeling of it, and damn, it has added 30-40 feet to my drives. I'm bumping a Tern to 320, whereas 300' was always the top of the tops.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-16-2017, 09:24 PM
davetherocketguy's Avatar
davetherocketguy davetherocketguy is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Southwest Michigan
Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 68
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,543
Niced 221 Times in 129 Posts
Default

I need to make some adjustments to my grip as well...Got any pictures of what you are talking about? I think I know what a power grip should be but I'm not entirely sure...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-20-2017, 09:44 PM
DiscAnarchy DiscAnarchy is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 101
Niced 25 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
I started out with a 3 fingered power grip, leaving the pinkie curled up off the rim. I felt it gave me better control, and reduced grip-lock 100%.

However, this year I've been working on the 4 fingered power grip, and have worked through the awkward feeling of it, and damn, it has added 30-40 feet to my drives. I'm bumping a Tern to 320, whereas 300' was always the top of the tops.
Grip lock is actually a misnomer. And it's not caused by your grip.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-27-2017, 05:35 PM
Alexplz's Avatar
Alexplz Alexplz is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 342
Niced 20 Times in 16 Posts
Default

I recommend the first portion of this clinic by Will: https://youtu.be/0Vrqk5dUgU8

Of equal quality are his recommendations for the modified power grip (i.e. with the pointer knuckle resting on the bead of the disc, or lack thereof) and the fan grip.

For absolute max D I would be curling all 4 fingers with fingerprints on the inner wall of the rim. However since watching this video I don't really use that grip in rounds, preferring his suggestion.

Also @ discanarchy, to a great extent I disagree - throwing without a good hit and power gripping can/will cause griplock; preventing the disc from ripping from your grip consistently at the correct moment. Yeah there are other things that will cause you to shank a drive, but griplock is a real thing.

Last edited by Alexplz; 07-27-2017 at 05:39 PM. Reason: to DA
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-03-2017, 09:20 AM
UhhNegative UhhNegative is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Courses Played: 41
Posts: 162
Niced 37 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
I recommend the first portion of this clinic by Will: https://youtu.be/0Vrqk5dUgU8

Of equal quality are his recommendations for the modified power grip (i.e. with the pointer knuckle resting on the bead of the disc, or lack thereof) and the fan grip.

For absolute max D I would be curling all 4 fingers with fingerprints on the inner wall of the rim. However since watching this video I don't really use that grip in rounds, preferring his suggestion.

Also @ discanarchy, to a great extent I disagree - throwing without a good hit and power gripping can/will cause griplock; preventing the disc from ripping from your grip consistently at the correct moment. Yeah there are other things that will cause you to shank a drive, but griplock is a real thing.
If your body positioning is correct, you will not physically be able to grip lock. The disc cannot stay in your hand long enough.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-03-2017, 01:17 PM
Alexplz's Avatar
Alexplz Alexplz is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 342
Niced 20 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhhNegative View Post
If your body positioning is correct, you will not physically be able to grip lock. The disc cannot stay in your hand long enough.
Yeah well A. not everyone's body positioning is correct 100% of the time and B. one's grip will impact the moment the disc rips out regardless.
Reply With Quote
 

  #7  
Old 08-09-2017, 09:54 PM
westdisc91 westdisc91 is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 59
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

My power grip feels so weird but ima try what will said in the video with my pointer finger
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.