Old 03-12-2013, 08:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.7
Courses Played: 119
Niced 8 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
Not flight path, lies. That's different. (And it probably should have said "positions".)

"804.02 Mandatories
E. ...A line connecting the lies for the hole must pass to the correct sides of all mandatories for the hole.
..."
Oof, that's horrible wording. But it can't possibly mean a line consisting of straight line segments for each throw. I mean, if you hyzer around the good side of a mando, a straight line from your throwing location to the disc can easily pass the wrong side of the mando.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2013, 09:38 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.4
Courses Played: 677
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,464 Times in 662 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
Not flight path, lies. That's different. (And it probably should have said "positions".)

"804.02 Mandatories
E. ...A line connecting the lies for the hole must pass to the correct sides of all mandatories for the hole.
..."
I had pointed that out to the RC a while back. It was supposed to be "flight path" not "line." That will be corrected in the next rules update.

Last edited by Cgkdisc; 03-12-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:15 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

So this throw is ok? Double mando between three and lightpole.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:24 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 35.3
Courses Played: 111
Niced 17 Times in 11 Posts

Nope. It didn't pass between the mandos in the intended order-from tee to target. You either now have to throw from the marked drop zone, or if no marked drop zone, from the last lie (tee). Once the disc is past the line between the mandos, it is deemed fair by passing through between the mandos (in the intended order). Once it passes the line and didn't go between, it is considered to have missed the mando and the above throw scenarios are ineffect and a stroke penalty.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:31 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

But the throw hasnt ended up on the wrong side of the mando line

Ref:

A throw has missed the mandatory if it passes the incorrect side of the mandatory from the direction of the tee, and establishes a position completely beyond the mandatory line.

In the case of a disc crossing the 'missed' side, the mando has not been missed unless the disc ends up at rest across the 'missed' side. if it first crosses the 'missed' side but then bounces or rolls back to the tee side of the line before it stops, the mando has not been missed but it also has not been 'made' yet.

Some players mistakenly think they have missed the mando on their tee shot if they don’t cross the good side of the line on that throw. as long as their throw hasn’t ended up across the 'missed' side of the mando line, the player is safe. the player then just tries to throw across the 'made' side on their next throw. there are even tricky mandos where laying up short of it on the tee shot then trying to throw across it on the second throw might be a good strategy.

Last edited by jgrlars; 07-18-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:53 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 35.3
Courses Played: 111
Niced 17 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrlars View Post
But the throw hasnt ended up on the wrong side of the mando line

Ref:

A throw has missed the mandatory if it passes the incorrect side of the mandatory from the direction of the tee, and establishes a position completely beyond the mandatory line.

In the case of a disc crossing the 'missed' side, the mando has not been missed unless the disc ends up at rest across the 'missed' side. if it first crosses the 'missed' side but then bounces or rolls back to the tee side of the line before it stops, the mando has not been missed but it also has not been 'made' yet.

Some players mistakenly think they have missed the mando on their tee shot if they don’t cross the good side of the line on that throw. as long as their throw hasn’t ended up across the 'missed' side of the mando line, the player is safe. the player then just tries to throw across the 'made' side on their next throw. there are even tricky mandos where laying up short of it on the tee shot then trying to throw across it on the second throw might be a good strategy.
Yup, you're right, I'm wrong. The disc has to establish a position at rest, so this disc is still waiting to establish a position beyond the mando line, so it's in great position to pass it now. It is the result not how it got there. it's just like laying up in front of it!!!
Old 07-20-2013, 11:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 210
Niced 244 Times in 151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrlars View Post
So this throw is ok? Double mando between tree and lightpole.

SO, y'all are saying the answer is yes, it is a legal throw, but be advised that the disc has not yet made the mando. The mando must be made on a future shot. (It's just like laying up in front of the mando).

I think I agree with that.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:16 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 21
Niced 50 Times in 32 Posts

Not everyone is saying that. I do however agree that that is how the rules are written. However, in a discussion on another forum the I believe the rule commitee disagrees with their own rule, according to Chuck if remember correctly.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 42
Niced 92 Times in 57 Posts

I like that they removed the "imaginary" drop zone from the rule. We had a tourney a few years ago with a couple of mandos that didn't have a specified drop zone, and some of us played from the "imaginary" drop zone, which I am pretty sure was the correct thing to do, while others that didn't know the rules as well re-teed. I think a re-tee if there is no drop zone specified simplifies the rules, and I am all for simplification.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:47 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Got a answer from the PDGA:

"That's a good question. We should probably add a Q&A about it since it's not something we
considered when writing the mandatory rules.

My ruling would be that the disc has missed the mandatory. The ruling hinges on what it means to be "beyond" the mandatory line. In my opinion, the only mandatory line you worry about is the one on the side where the disc first crossed. The line on the other side of the mandatory should not be taken into consideration. In that way, the disc in #3 has gone beyond the mandatory line on the incorrect
side.

The player goes to the drop zone. The rule to use is 804.02.B.

-Conrad"

"Answer from Conrad edited to just show answer for the situation on the picture"

Last edited by jgrlars; 07-24-2013 at 02:49 AM.