Old 04-30-2013, 08:27 PM

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Beginner Equipment

Hey everyone,
I've been playing disc golf for probably around 5-6 years on a casual basis, ie. anywhere from a couple to a dozen times a year. This year I've gone full force into the world of disc golf. I play at least two full games a week and I work close to a park, so I play two to three holes on my lunch break. I would by no means consider myself a good player; however, my goal this summer is to get better. I would say I am around a 150-175ft driver and a mediocre putter.
I have been playing with Innova for some time now, mainly because it is the primary disc available in my area. I've tried a few disccraft as well (haven't noticed a big difference). Currently, I run with 3 discs; an Innova Champion Groove, an Innova Champion Roc3, and an Innova Champion Rhyno.
In the past I have owned and used a Star Kite, Champion Teebird, T-Rex, and several Valkyries (probably my favorite and sadly most owned and lost disc). Over the course of years I've lost many of these and am looking to expand my collection again. I am not a power thrower, as much as I would like to be. The more power I put into a throw, the less accurate I seem to be. I've seen some MVP discs that look pretty interesting; however, I'm wondering if a power throw is needed to achieve the gyroscopic effect intended for these.
If anyone could give some suggestions on what discs would be great additions for an intermediate player looking to improve their game would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time and thank you in advance! Have a great day!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2013, 08:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 201
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Read the technique section and sticky's. At that driving distance you should lose the Groove and just work with putters and mids for a while. You need to work on form with a few slower discs before you worry about buying new equipment. I think there is a build a bag thread also for newer players that will help you.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:45 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 24
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ditch the groove. You need to focus on the proper technique which you can find in the techinque section as a stickied topic. When you are putting more power into the drives, you are trying to stong arm it. It's counterintuitive, but in order to throw well you need to throw smooth and with your whole body working as one. I second working with your mids, but if you are just itching to get a new disc, I suggest either a latitude 64 river in goldline in the 160g range, or an innova leopard in the same weight range. The river is more nose sensitive, so it will be aggrivating at first, but will help with your form and the glide will amaze you. You can also get a leopard which is more forgiving than the river and easy to throw.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:52 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought the groove thinking that the 'Glide' on it was high. I guess that's not the case though. The terminology still throws me off a bit. If I had to weigh my game, I'd say my putting and mid game is much better than my drive. My drive is equivalent to most other's mid throw. I would like to get better distance, so I can get near the basket in one throw, and rely more on my mid/putt as I feel much better in that aspect.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:55 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

There are a lot of open threads you can pick from on this subject...but I would say take a z buzzz out to an open field, set an object 150 ft away or set your sights on a different colored patch of grass, and throw away. Study the **** out of technique threads before you go buying discs. Take the advice from someone who did it backwards
Old 04-30-2013, 09:20 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 81
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Groove - Less

Riptide , drill a hole in the middle of that Groove so it's illegal and throw a clock mechanism in it so you can watch the time pass as u become a better DGer !

Please follow the advice above so u can learn how to LEARN ! Sounds weird but..

I haven't met anyone who got their drivers license at Daytona or on the F1 circuit , guess why ?

I'm only in my 3rd year of 5 days a week playing ( minimum ) and I'm starting over ! Not playing as many rounds this year ( missing doubles as we speak ) but really trying to push my field work to re-learn everything properly !

MY GOAL is to move up in tourneys this year , and I have realized that many, many rounds does not equal practice . Even after 150+ rounds on my home course last year , I barely finished in the discs in our Tourneyment last September . Very disappointed , really thought I would be near the top...

Stage 1 is not knowing u don't know (but having fun with buddies )
Stage 2 is knowing u don't know (and want to learn )
Stage 3 is not knowing that u know ( and are damn good without help , not me!)
Stage 4 is knowing that u know ( and are prolly field-working ur brains out becuz
damn stage 3 will catch u if u don't work ur ass off to stay ahead ! )

But that's only if u want to be able to play tourneys and travel to disc golf courses all over America and be able to put in a good show when u r there !

See u on a course somewhere !
Old 04-30-2013, 09:35 PM
Maryland State PDGA Coordinator

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 249
Niced 16 Times in 7 Posts

find a putter and mid you like. I suggest not buying anything over speed 11 (I only have 2 discs over speed 7 in my bag). Get a lighter understable disc and work with it until you can subtly turn it without anyhzer.

There are so many discs that will work well for you. trial and error is fun
Old 04-30-2013, 10:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 24
Niced 22 Times in 14 Posts

If you're intrigued by MVP, try the Anode and Axis. They're pretty easy to throw, very versatile, and driving with the Anode has improved my snap on all discs. Tossing my buddy's Axis is very similar to my Buzzz, but goes farther with less effort for me.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:40 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am researching now, and I think the Speed rating has thrown me off. I was under the assumption that Speed meant the faster and further it would fly; however, it seems to be the opposite, in that the higher the speed the faster you have to throw the disc.
I see you suggest finding a good mid range disc. I have a Roc3 that I rather enjoy throwing. Is this sufficient as a driver for my skill level? If so, can I throw it like shown in the driving video's I've watched (ie. throwing level forearm, throwing your elbow in first, across the chest, and following through)?
Thank you all so much for your help! This is the greatest thing about the sport, I have yet to meet a cynical or condescending disc golf player. Everyone is so eager to help out!

Old 04-30-2013, 10:48 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Out of curiosity, would the new 'Blizzard' Innovas be good for a beginner? On the courses I play, I have a lot of water obstacles and tend to lose discs often. I need something that floats (which I have read lower weight blizzards do).