Old 05-15-2013, 05:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26
Courses Played: 386
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 23 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwingles View Post
On another note, the post earlier (forgot who, not gonna go back and quote it tho) basically sounded like making SnD a mando on some holes/shots, did i read that right? If so, thats a really, really terrible idea. It makes no sense. Its almost the same as dictating what type of shot to throw from individual teepads, or something of that nature that absolutely nobody thinks is fair or fun.
It is indeed a terrible idea that makes no sense....just like designating some areas as OB.

In OB, you are dictating a certain type of throw (no throw at all) AND making you pick up your "play it where it lies" disc and marching it over to some other spot to throw from (often with no run-up since the OB back up to some obstacle) AND you are making the player add a throw to their scorecard that wasn't even a throw!!

Oh.....this S&D idea is actually not as terrible as the OB idea after all.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by Dave242; 05-15-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
But is it really more challenging or difficult? Everyone throws shorter, and on some holes, especially long holes, take more strokes. But is it harder to shape shots or hit tight lines?
I have a very hard time throwing anhyzers well with S&D. I am actually much more accurate in tight lines (escaping from jail for instance) with S&D....but just not nearly the power/D.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:07 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 31.2
Courses Played: 704
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,960 Times in 866 Posts

Here's how I see it going down in the future but I also don't see that future materializing for our sport. In this possible future, a rule or play change relating to foot faults will become necessary if there's ever big money involved. Spectators, especially paying ones, will not tolerate seeing rules infractions on video that are not called. We already have the ball golf incidents where people have called in regarding rules infractions. A few rule changes will be required to mostly eliminate the need to make certain rules calls or make infractions so obvious they are easy to call.

I'm not saying S&D in particular will be one of the solutions. But only in that improbable future do I see it being seriously discussed as an option. So I think players can rest easy because S&D won't be coming soon and likely never.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 72
Niced 27 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave242 View Post
It is indeed a terrible idea that makes no sense....just like designating some areas as OB.

In OB, you are dictating a certain type of throw (no throw at all) AND making you pick up your "play it where it lies" disc and marching it over to some other spot to throw from (often with no run-up since the OB back up to some obstacle) AND you are making the player add a throw to their scorecard that wasn't even a throw!!

Oh.....this S&D idea is actually not as terrible as the OB idea after all.
Who said anything about OBs, what are you talking about?

Sometimes OBs are necessary due to a number of factors, a lot ofthem have little to do with golf. Poor course design/flow, odd property lines, private property, safety/liability issues etc.

Can we get back to the topics ofthe thread and your terrible idea?

SnD areas just might be the silliest thing ive ever heard. What would the point of it be?

Making SnD mandatory "to make the game more challenging" is a joke. Whats next? Making everyone putt with zephyrs because putting is too easy?

Regarding Dave242's S&D zone, we were looking into creating some hazards where the player pretty much had to s&d. One option is to scatter boulders 12-18 inches in diam spaced about 18-24 inches apart in an area. Another was to position timbers in an area sort of like giant pick up sticks with similar spacing to the boulders so players could stand there. Another was a trap filled with pea gravel instead of sand where you couldn't get decent footing.
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by garublador View Post
I agree that it would make things a bit more interesting in some cases, it's also super gimmicky and not really the type of rule that most serious sports utilize. It's fun, but not horribly professional.
I'm calling BS on this argument. Football has the no bump rule after 5 yards, the no going downfield on passing plays for O linemen, golf has no touching your club to the ground in sandtraps and you can't touch your ball except on the green, track has a DQ for leaving your lane until the break point, cycling has no drafting during time trials, NASCAR has no passing under caution and the lucky dog rule, soccer has offsides except if you are not involved in the play, and the list goes on......

None of these are perceived as gimmicky or unprofessional.....well, except for the lucky dog rule.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:17 PM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 1
Niced 1,300 Times in 643 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
But is it really more challenging or difficult? Everyone throws shorter, and on some holes, especially long holes, take more strokes. But is it harder to shape shots or hit tight lines?
That's what I'm saying. Good players, especially top young guys, would adjust to the stance very quickly. It might change scores by a couple strokes a round, if that.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 72
Niced 27 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave242 View Post
I'm calling BS on this argument. Football has the no bump rule after 5 yards, the no going downfield on passing plays for O linemen, golf has no touching your club to the ground in sandtraps and you can't touch your ball except on the green, track has a DQ for leaving your lane until the break point, cycling has no drafting during time trials, NASCAR has no passing under caution and the lucky dog rule, soccer has offsides except if you are not involved in the play, and the list goes on......

None of these are perceived as gimmicky or unprofessional.....well, except for the lucky dog rule.
What the hell are you rambling about? How are any of those things comparable to what were talking about?
Go home Dave, youre drunk
Old 05-15-2013, 05:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwingles View Post
Who said anything about OBs, what are you talking about?
It is called an analogy, comparison, correlation, parallel or similarity. Read the post again without the angry glasses and you might see it.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:23 PM

I believe scores would actually go down not up if S&D were in place. Players would be more grooved in their throwing motion and throw more accurately. You see it all the time on wooded holes. If you can s&d even from the tee pad, you'll likely be more accurate over time since there's less going on mechanically. That's one of the first things I suggest to newer players struggling in the woods. They're sometimes doing full run-ups and flailing as much as they do out in the open.