Old 03-01-2017, 01:47 PM
I think I'm important

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 230 Times in 150 Posts
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_
Default Should Tee Time Rounds Be Rated?

I've often thought that tee time rounds should be rated, or in the least not compared to each other.

Conditions greatly change throughout the day. Even if drastic things such as rain, wind, snow, etc don't change, temperature and moisture certainly does.

Should someone who played a course 4 - 6 hours before you have the same rating as you when you shoot the same score on the same layout?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2017, 01:54 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 16 Times in 10 Posts

I have often wondered about this. I have watched tournaments Where the wind is blowing like mad for one card, and then calm as can be for chase cards? Doesn't seem very fair.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:55 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 28.6
Courses Played: 654
Niced 342 Times in 200 Posts

I think you're asking the wrong question. If the conditions are competitively different, is the competition format itself fair versus shotgun starts or doing groupings the way they do it in ball golf to mitigate this issue?
Old 03-01-2017, 01:56 PM
I think I'm important

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 230 Times in 150 Posts
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
I think you're asking the wrong question. If the conditions are competitively different, is the competition format itself fair versus shotgun starts or doing groupings the way they do it in ball golf to mitigate this issue?
Fair question.

I personally don't like tee time rounds until at least one round of competition has been completed for this very reason.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:57 PM

Courses Played: 38
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Can't control the weather. Same can be said for someone that starts on a water hole with crazy wind then 2hrs later the card in front plays it as their last hole its calm

Niced: (1)
Old 03-01-2017, 02:07 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 113 Times in 72 Posts

Shotgun is without a doubt more "fair" but logistics outweigh the fairness for sure. This is an age old conversation in stick golf as well, but I feel like game play is far more affected by weather in our sport. Maybe not in all areas. Wet vs Dry ball golf greens is a very big deal. For us, 15 MPH of wind is a total game changer though.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:19 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 53
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 10 Times in 7 Posts

It's no different than a shotgun start as conditions can change dramatically in couple hours. Say hole 1 is the hardest hole on the course and the first group to play it has calm sunny conditions and the last group later in the day come to it and they have rainy, windy conditions. No different than a tee time scenario.

Niced: (2)
Old 03-01-2017, 02:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.8
Courses Played: 139
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 596 Times in 292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Can't control the weather. Same can be said for someone that starts on a water hole with crazy wind then 2hrs later the card in front plays it as their last hole its calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by olkok View Post
It's no different than a shotgun start as conditions can change dramatically in couple hours. Say hole 1 is the hardest hole on the course and the first group to play it has calm sunny conditions and the last group later in the day come to it and they have rainy, windy conditions. No different than a tee time scenario.
I think this is the start and end of the debate, IMO. If the goal is for every competitor to play the course in exactly identical conditions, the only way to do it is to send them out in one huge group at the same time.

That said, as far as tee time starts go, I think one thing that disc golf hasn't gotten correct yet is balancing the first two rounds of play in a four round event. We always re-sort by score after one round, and I think we should do it like ball golf and maintain the groupings through two rounds while also reversing the order of tee times on the second day. If you tee off early on day one, you tee off late on day two, and vice versa. And include the women in that equation. Is there a reason that the lead FPO card at the Memorial, for example, is teeing off before 8AM every day aside from they all have to go out before the men?

Niced: (3)
Old 03-01-2017, 02:30 PM

Courses Played: 38
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
I think this is the start and end of the debate, IMO. If the goal is for every competitor to play the course in exactly identical conditions, the only way to do it is to send them out in one huge group at the same time.

That said, as far as tee time starts go, I think one thing that disc golf hasn't gotten correct yet is balancing the first two rounds of play in a four round event. We always re-sort by score after one round, and I think we should do it like ball golf and maintain the groupings through two rounds while also reversing the order of tee times on the second day. If you tee off early on day one, you tee off late on day two, and vice versa. And include the women in that equation. Is there a reason that the lead FPO card at the Memorial, for example, is teeing off before 8AM every day aside from they all have to go out before the men?

Agree 100%! This needs to happen

Old 03-01-2017, 02:31 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 20
Niced 66 Times in 25 Posts

Funny that this ad should show up for me at the top of this thread.