Old 08-04-2013, 11:23 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 136
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default L64 River tips

I just got a River from L64 (gold line 167g) after reading some really positive reviews. The disc sounded stable and predictable. I usually throw RHFH and can get decent flight on most discs.

I have only played a few rounds with i but it seems to turn on its side very easily and land on an edge either rolling or coming to a stop. It seems like my flick throw is just killing it. Other drivers or fairway drivers work great for me and are usually fairly predictable.

Any advice on this disc would be great? I was hoping for this disc to be somewhere between my distance drivers and my mids off a sidearm but it seems to crash and burn or at least fade hard hard left.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2013, 11:25 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 10
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by StopHammerTime View Post
I just got a River from L64 (gold line 167g) after reading some really positive reviews. The disc sounded stable and predictable. I usually throw RHFH and can get decent flight on most discs.

I have only played a few rounds with i but it seems to turn on its side very easily and land on an edge either rolling or coming to a stop. It seems like my flick throw is just killing it. Other drivers or fairway drivers work great for me and are usually fairly predictable.

Any advice on this disc would be great? I was hoping for this disc to be somewhere between my distance drivers and my mids off a sidearm but it seems to crash and burn or at least fade hard hard left.
I throw backhand,but I can tell you this. The River is a very nose angle sensitive disc,meaning if you throw it wrong it's gonna turn and burn on you. If you throw it right it's one of the most straight discs you will ever throw.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 15
Niced 40 Times in 32 Posts

Agreed ^^^ If it's turning over on you, slow it down and make sure you throw it clean. It's not really designed to be a straight with fade type disc. It is reliable, just not in the way you may have thought. My river always turns for me, thats what I love it for.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:34 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 16
Niced 53 Times in 28 Posts

Also, FH throwing is inherently more prone to off axis torque and other issues, which is generally why predominately forehand oriented players throw more over stable plastic. Not to say that you can not get it to fly correctly forehand, but the River rewards smooth, proper form, so it may take some work to get down!

But the river would be a pretty good driver for learning backhand with if you so desired!
Old 08-05-2013, 12:32 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 21
Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
I just got a River from L64 (gold line 167g) after reading some really positive reviews. The disc sounded stable and predictable.
Until you really learn it the River is no stable at all and isn't predictable either. What others have said is 100% true. You have to throw it clean. Go slow. The River likes some snap but doesn't like a ton of power on a flat throw.

If you throw it perfectly flat it's one of the longest straightest discs out there.
If you get some air under it or throw it over a valley it will hyzer out to the left with quite a bit of fade.
If you throw it flat with power it will either turn and burn or just keep tracking to the right and forward, not really turning.
If you hyzer flip it hard it will go out straight, track right for 10-15 feet then go dead straight with a little bit of fade at the end. Give it enough height or distance and you can always get it to fade back.
I've also found that if I hyzer flip it hard with keeping my back very upright I get a beautiful long right turning arc. Great for dog leg right shots.
It's also a great almost fishhook hyzer shot disc.

The River has so many odd lines for me and I can get it to do some odd stuff I can't get other discs to do but the more you work with it the better you'll get with it.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:57 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 44
Niced 31 Times in 21 Posts

I haven't thrown the thing in awhile but I used to love it! It's the best disc Latitude offers in my mind (bold statement, I know). Throwing it flat the thing is a beauty. Enjoy the disc man!
Old 08-05-2013, 02:16 AM
Par Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks all for the suggestions. I will try toning it down, power might have been my problem before. I feel like my FH form is pretty good. My overstable drivers generally go where I want and I can absolutely bomb my L64 Bolt accurately (most of the time) which is understable.

Would a good assumption be to take off some power and throw it w/ a slight anhyzer? tilt intended to fade from left to right?
Old 08-05-2013, 02:48 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Thanks all for the suggestions. I will try toning it down, power might have been my problem before. I feel like my FH form is pretty good. My overstable drivers generally go where I want and I can absolutely bomb my L64 Bolt accurately (most of the time) which is understable.

Would a good assumption be to take off some power and throw it w/ a slight anhyzer? tilt intended to fade from left to right?
Pardon, I might be mistaken but I believe you meant to say hyzer. "throw it w/ a slight hyzer". Assuming good form the River should flip up and fly right(straight with a gentle fade). I love my 170g Opto River. Great utility driver.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:06 AM
Par Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

yea i think that's what i meant, i sometimes forget it reverses from BH to FH. should the tailing fade move from L-R or R-L? Thanks

Old 08-05-2013, 08:06 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 32
Niced 44 Times in 37 Posts

I can't throw mine
I should dig it out and work with it
Might help me out a little