Old 10-24-2017, 06:47 PM
Par Member

Niced 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default Backpack Recommendations

I'm wondering what experiences people have with backpack bags. Right now I use a bag with shoulder straps attached but it's weight is too low on my back; even with the straps as tight as possible the weight is just too low on my spine and it starts to bug me when I play long rounds or play rounds with lots of hills/canyons/up and down trails.

So, I'd prefer something that would sit up higher on my back, if possible.

I've taken a look at the MVP Voyager, the Innova Heropack, Ranger packs, etc. I'm really big on Discmania stuff so if anyone has experience with Discmania bags I'd be MORE than appreciative to hear about them but I'm open to all suggestions.

Currently, my top 3-4 based on reviews are: the Voyager, the Lat 64 Luxury Bag, the Grip AX15, and the Discmania Grip EQ bag.

Would love to hear thoughts though!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2017, 10:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 117
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 192 Times in 148 Posts

I'm totally qualified to answer this since I don't have a backpack. I've got my eyes on an Upper Park Designs bag for when I upgrade, but I'm guessing you want a bigger bag than that?
Old 10-25-2017, 10:26 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 19
Niced 20 Times in 17 Posts

Depends on how many discs you need to carry, extra storage, water, and if playing in tournaments. I have a Grip C15 (Carries 15) for casual weekend rounds and a pound OctoHaul (Carries 20+ and lots of extra stuff) for Tournaments.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:01 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 49
Niced 278 Times in 193 Posts

If you're concerned with weight, the Upper Parks Designs Shift is a great option for a fantastic price. You can get a look at them in footage of Michael Johansen or Gregg Barsby.

I've had mine for about 2 years and can testify to it's solid construction through HEAVY use. Rain or shine, 7-10 rounds per week, 10-12 tournaments per summer, and 3 leagues per week. It's still in ship shape. I carry about 16-18 discs, 40oz Hydroflask, 4-5 towels, and can still fit a light jacket and snacks in the bottom (under the vertical discs) I use the hip pockets for keys, wallet, and my phone - an S7 Edge, so fairly large.

It is by far the lightest bag I have used (and I've used damn near everything on the market) Moreover, the vertical storage makes things so much easier. Set your bag on the ground or a stool, and the discs are more easily visible and a little higher for easy access. The mini-holder in the very top also makes for easy access if you're like me and hate the feeling of a mini in your pocket. I store four putters in the right hand side pockets (when wearing the bag) so I can easily reach back and grab whichever putter I want without taking the bag off. It is very well padded, easily adjustable, and fits my 6' 200lb athletic frame very well.

There are cons. I won't lie. If you don't have a bottle in the drink holder or if you face the bag the wrong direction on a steep slope, the bag can tip, spilling the vertical storage discs. However, I always have a hydro flask and I know to face the bottle holder downhill and never have an issue with this anymore (one of those quick lessons learned moments) Also, if you overstuff the bag, the vertical storage discs can catch on each other, but again, even with 16 discs, it's rarely an issue for me. The final issue that I actually have the biggest gripe with and haven't found a good solution for is the lack of an umbrella/stool holder. I tried to rig up a carabiner with one stool leg in one of the outside pockets, but it didn't work great and I still ended up carrying my stool most of the time. I have back issues and nerve damage causing severe leg pain, so a seat is a must for me and I ended up getting a cart that I can sit on. However, the Shift is still my #1 carry bag and my quick round bag.

Grip bags are great, there's a reason they're the industry standard. However, they are not the lightest and you definitely pay more for them. I've had several friends with L64 bags and every one has had quality issues even after replacements. I will say however, that L64/DD/WS have the best freaking customer service in the sport! Hot damn those guys care about their customers! I've only tried a L64 bag that a friend uses and they look great, seem to be well made from my little experience with it, but are a little lacking in storage room. Similar issue to the Shift, but I find the bottom of the Shift to have amble large open space for my needs.

Anyways, that's my 2!

Niced: (1)
Old 10-25-2017, 11:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 42
Niced 238 Times in 174 Posts

UP Rebel. There's no downside unless you need to carry a lot of extra stuff like clothing. The way the discs are pulled up instead of out with no material blocking the discs is the best part. The second best is the way the bag weight disappears when you wear it.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 78
Niced 124 Times in 93 Posts

Another vote for the Shift and the Rebel. Depending on your loadout. These are pretty much perfect bags. For a smaller guy like me (5'6" 160lbs) and my loadout (17 discs + 1 40oz hydroflask and other typical gear) the Shift fits/rides so much better than anything else on the market.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 145
Niced 190 Times in 111 Posts

My experience with the Shift and Pinch has excellent. I like using the Pinch if I'm carrying 12 oz of water or less. It features a low bag weight and a small footprint, yet can holds 20+ discs with ease if needed. As far as riding high, I don't know if there's another a bag on the market that rides as high as a Pinch.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:13 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 17
Niced 123 Times in 99 Posts

A black AX15 is going to be my next purchase, just waiting for the next deal from Grip -- unless I find a clean used one in the meantime.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:22 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 19
Niced 20 Times in 17 Posts

If you can shell out the extra cash go with Pound for sure...best bag out there....lots of storage, 5 putters up top, bladder system, and light weight even when full.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 100
Niced 114 Times in 70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consult20 View Post
A black AX15 is going to be my next purchase, just waiting for the next deal from Grip -- unless I find a clean used one in the meantime.
Hurry up... code for 17% off --> GripHallo17

Good through October 31st.