Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 10-21-2013, 08:51 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by notroman View Post
All the Destroyers coming out now (and for the past few months) have been what you call the PD2 top. The ones you like with the straighter nose were made sometime last year through early this year. The "vulcan topped" ones with the obvious ridge were made in late 2011 into early 2012.

They don't have both tops molded right now, but you can find both tops on the market because they simply haven't sold through all the stock they made over the past year yet.

Seeing how Innova was still sending out random S/DS Destroyers out as early as a year or two ago with the new stamps I would say that it will probably take a long time for them to go through all the Destroyer molds they've made in the past two years.
I had several Echo Star Team Innova Destrulcans back in November 2010.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2013, 08:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.7
Courses Played: 217
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 404 Times in 193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozzz View Post
I had several Echo Star Team Innova Destrulcans back in November 2010.
Yeah, I think the Echo Stars started out earlier. My buddy is still throwing his minty green Echo Star Destrulcan from around that time. Those early ones were super overstable if I remember correctly.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 362 Times in 175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by notroman View Post
All the Destroyers coming out now (and for the past few months) have been what you call the PD2 top. The ones you like with the straighter nose were made sometime last year through early this year. The "vulcan topped" ones with the obvious ridge were made in late 2011 into early 2012.

They don't have both tops molded right now, but you can find both tops on the market because they simply haven't sold through all the stock they made over the past year yet.

Seeing how Innova was still sending out random S/DS Destroyers out as early as a year or two ago with the new stamps I would say that it will probably take a long time for them to go through all the Destroyer molds they've made in the past two years.
Speaking of old stock found and stamped up with current stamps, I snagged an early pearly pfn wraith with the current stamp on it today. Those were ran years ago...thought it was just a nice looking new run till I grabbed it, actually had some grip to it unlike the more recent slick pearly stuff. It was a 170, and pretty much all the pearlies from that batch were in that range and the handwriting was way different than the current ones.

But yeah, we all know this by now...find a run you like and buy a bunch. Personally I think the destrulcan was a legit mold error. I think these are just a weird cooling problem. I ordered a bunch of destroyers this summer for a tournament and they looked just like what's showing up at stores now as stock. Upper 160s and max weight were nice and flat, low 170s all had a weird dome to them. Plastic felt the same across all weights, for whatever reason the 170s had a poppy dome which caused the strange dip where the inner rim met the actual top plate.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Here is a picture of the PLH height differences of the current run Destroyers. The lighter pink Destroyer on the right is from a run they did earlier this summer when they finally reverted back to the old top. Most of the Destroyers from that run were super overstable similar to FAF Firebirds. The brighter pink Destroyer on the left is from a more recent run that I suspect has just started coming out within the past few months. It has the same top, but a much lower PLH. It flies very similar to old pop top S/DS Destroyers from a few years back. Great stable to overstable flight.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 36
Niced 477 Times in 246 Posts

notroman, if you still have those out, would you mind taking a picture of the full domes too? i am curious how uniform they are, and how stiff are they say on a scale of 1-10.

in case you haven't gathered this, i live in rural country. no current stock to fondle, and most of my shopping is done in the MP or online stores, so knowledge is king.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:03 PM
* Ace Member *

actually, a better way to put it would be: what are the defining characteristics of these runs? dome, stiffness, PLH obviously...
Old 10-21-2013, 10:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Newer stable/overstable run on top, older super overstable run on bottom.

Keep in mind that I hand picked the newer run Destroyers and specifically picked up the pop top ones. Most are like the pink one pictured on top, some are a bit more domey. However, I have seen some from the newer run that had a much smaller dome even flatter than the super overstable Destroyer pictured below. There are two variations of markings on the underside of these Destroyers, and both of them share the markings so you can't tell the two apart by that alone.

The super overstable Destroyers I have are all softer than the newer stable/overstable ones.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:26 PM
* Ace Member *

kaiser I just sent you a PM on where/how to get one if you want... For science.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:27 PM
* Ace Member *

thanks, that is perfect. you've just saved me A LOT of time and money.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:38 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dehaas View Post
Speaking of old stock found and stamped up with current stamps, I snagged an early pearly pfn wraith with the current stamp on it today. Those were ran years ago...thought it was just a nice looking new run till I grabbed it, actually had some grip to it unlike the more recent slick pearly stuff. It was a 170, and pretty much all the pearlies from that batch were in that range and the handwriting was way different than the current ones.

But yeah, we all know this by now...find a run you like and buy a bunch. Personally I think the destrulcan was a legit mold error. I think these are just a weird cooling problem. I ordered a bunch of destroyers this summer for a tournament and they looked just like what's showing up at stores now as stock. Upper 160s and max weight were nice and flat, low 170s all had a weird dome to them. Plastic felt the same across all weights, for whatever reason the 170s had a poppy dome which caused the strange dip where the inner rim met the actual top plate.
Yeah, I got an old school pearly wraith as the CFR disc from last year's STLDGC Club Championship. Finding old stock with a new/CFR stamp is pretty cool for sure.

The 168g Destroyer I got from your tourney is a great one, it's got the "normal" top with an evenly rounded, high shoulder and a flat top. It looks identical to my other 168g that's in the bag.