Old 06-08-2017, 09:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.3
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 57 Times in 44 Posts
Default Pro Payouts Stagnant to Dismal over the Years

Was just checking some of the results of tournaments across the country. Smaller a tier and was amazed that pro turnout was small along with payouts.

For example, two days in May at the Blockhouse was in that category. We all know the am side is growing, but man the open division pay and turnout is looking so lame. Unless of course it is a big tourney like a pro tour event.

But with those events, you got so many good people coming in to play. The scores are tight.

Hold on, let me slap myself, I forgot dg the Rodney Dangerfield of sports. What was I thinking that we might ever get some serious sponsorship for our sport
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2017, 10:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.2
Courses Played: 215
Niced 136 Times in 72 Posts

Uhhh....so your premise is that the sport is suffering a professional decline? Unless it is a big event, then lots of good player show up? Pro turnouts locally here don't seem to be in decline.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 81
Niced 33 Times in 19 Posts

I guess I see it as a twofold problem. If I'm running an event and a vendor myself the best shot at making money back is through the markup in plastic used as payout. This has been discussed a ton, and although it allows some opportunity for the TD to recooperate money it doesn't really do anything to help the amateur mentality of I show up so I must get a bunch of free stuff. From a business perspective it makes sense to cater to the ams.

I can't say I'm a pro, but if I only see 3-4 other open players preregistered for an event I don't see how that is going to be a financial gain. Now not everybody is looking to get rich off of DG but if I'm going to play for money I'm going to play in an event that might make it worth my while. High entry fees for open players in small fields means those open fields will dry up and you'll see everybody gravitating to the larger events with more money up for grabs. Smaller TDs won't mind because those are the guys you aren't making money off of anyway.

It goes back to the should TDs get paid. The work involved with a successful event definitely warrants some type of compensation, but we're really talking about two different levels. Smaller events that are am heavy I think the TD has a chance to make a couple bucks back off of the disc markup. You just have to run it like a business and stick to your guns. Something like a DGPT or DGWT event is a whole other level in terms of complexity and planning.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:30 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 42
Niced 41 Times in 15 Posts

Decrease the minimum am payout table, wean ams off of extravagant player packs and fun-bucks, pay pros.

Of course, I am biased.

Niced: (4)
Old 06-09-2017, 12:07 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 132
Niced 422 Times in 321 Posts

Disc golf is a hobby for most luckily.

Ive heard about next big pro stuff and once thought it was real but f it.. Only co's making "real" $ off events or tours etc.

Last edited by Aim For The Chains; 06-09-2017 at 12:09 AM.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.6
Courses Played: 135
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 354 Times in 176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova P View Post
Decrease the minimum am payout table, wean ams off of extravagant player packs and fun-bucks, pay pros.

Of course, I am biased.
Interesting concept, but the big question to answer (and it's the one that non-elite pro events have to answer regardless) is where is the money coming from to pay these pros? Right now, isn't it most frequently coming from the retail mark-up of those extravagant player packs and fun bucks? Taking that away doesn't necessarily mean the pros benefit at all.

IMO, the OP's perception is not a new one. The struggle has always been where to come up with the money to pay the pro division. But it has little to do with amateurs and the growing value they receive.

The key to significant payouts to pros at smaller events is the same as it is for the elite events...sponsorship. Getting sponsors is a lot harder to do for non-elite events where the audience is pretty much the field of players. The DGPT can sell sponsors on the visibility they'll have on the live stream, the post-produced videos, at the disc festival, and a variety of other places that people other than the tournament participants are going to see (potentially thousands of eyes). Your local A and B-tiers don't have nearly that kind of selling point to bring to sponsors (maybe 100 people?), so they're relying on generosity and maybe a sense of community good will to raise money.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.1
Courses Played: 124
Niced 416 Times in 236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Smooth View Post
Hold on, let me slap myself, I forgot dg the Rodney Dangerfield of sports. What was I thinking that we might ever get some serious sponsorship for our sport
It's a great participation sport.

It's a poor spectator sport.

It's not about respect. Serious sponsors care about spectators---in person and live broadcast---so don't hold your breath.

In the meantime, pros are playing for each other's money, and whatever TDs care to beg from the community to give them.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:33 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 59
Niced 114 Times in 41 Posts

I don't understand why there would be an expectation that smaller tournaments or even A tiers would be increasing in their payout and why this would be tied to the way the sport is perceived.

Tours like the disc golf pro tour, national tour, dg world tour are the way that the sport gains more professional exposure and pros get better payout. And its working. The media coverage of the big events is great - members of my family that have never seen me play email me disc golf clips they see on sports center. The payout model of the pro tour is helping more guys play this season and travel around.

But the idea that payouts would get better for local tournaments seems silly to me. Where would that money come from? I think that if the pro tour continues to be successful, people will see a greater divide between the touring pro and other players get bigger and bigger.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:39 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.1
Courses Played: 124
Niced 416 Times in 236 Posts

The notion probably comes, in part, from our extravagant use of the word "pro".

Old 06-09-2017, 08:40 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 59
Niced 114 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova P View Post

Of course, I am biased.
I don't believe that the relationship between am payouts and pro participation is anything like this posts seems to suggest. There are few, if any, ams that are walking around with a pro skill set and deciding not to play pro because they want to win plastic. If anything there are many more ams who are given a hard time for winning am events and pressured to play pro when they are not competitive.

Am payout worries are misplaced. Am participation is what fuels disc golf at the local level and funds all manner of things for clubs and TDs. Pros at the local level are just trading money with each other.