Madison, AL
Asbury UMC DGC Share
Uploaded By: wellsbranch250 Hole #6 (Taken 11/2018)

Oh Joy, InStep Baskets

2-4    11/1/2018   11/16/2018
Review By: wellsbranch250
Pros: (1.206 Rating) A Novice level park style course.
- NAVIGATION - Surprisingly not to bad on my early November 2018 round. There are no maps online of the course and the tee sign at one is missing. But once getting to tee (2) the navigation was easy. Tee signs are on all the remaining holes. Please note that the material quality of the sign is poor and likely won't last more than a year. The see signs show next tee direction, plus the tee is always nearby and within view of the prior basket. I did not make one navigational mistake other than skipping (1) and starting on two. In hindsight, I should have known by experience that the tee and tee post with a missing sign next to the parking lot, was hole (1).
- BEGINNER FRIENDLY - Not as beginner friendly as nearby Dublin Park but close. Mostly open and forgiving. There are however some heavy overgrowth areas with thorn and vines. There typically plenty of bail out room, but seemingly always to the left.
- QUICK PLAY - I whipped through two round in 45 minutes. Granted I ran hole to hole on the second round, but also took pictures on the first round. A course bagger should have this wrapped up in 20 minutes. Those that can somehow manage to convince a group of four to play here will be done in 45 minutes to an hour.

Cons: Needs more infrastructure and some tweaks
- CHARACTER - I've played to InStep basket at least a handful of times now. If there's one thing I've learned about these baskets, other than being cheap and poor quality, it's that the course project was done on the cheap all together. The Asbury course was probably slapped together for less than a thousand bucks. There's just about no money in the tees and signage. Other extras, like course maps, practice baskets, alternate basket locations and seating, don't exist here.
- LACK OF CHALLENGE - There are a couple 300 footers and some minor obstacles to avoid. It's not easiest layout I've seem by any means, but Advanced players will probably shoot between 20 and 21 often. IMO the course appears to be geared to Novice level players. All recreational players should average below par out here if they play Asbury a few times. I personally did not play well, but I attribute that to wind, drizzle and my office clothes apparel.
- HOLE 8 - This is not a good hole. A play 50 straight, than a 90 degree right bend, and then another 100 to 120 feet straight again. Perhaps I'm not good enough, but I don't see how a disc can fly that route without some help from the wind at the correct angle
- UNIQUENESS - Mostly park style shots with a spattering of trees or heavy overgrowth to the right. There is very little elevation change and seemingly no water. Although I managed to find some on (1) with a bad wind carry well right of the basket. Thankfully a very shallow creek. There are no tunnel shots and the only good bender is on (8), which as stated above, its bend is unreasonable. The course seems to favor RHFH shots as the heavy overgrowth is on the right on five tee shots.
- NATURAL BEAUTY - Below average. No elevation, water or nice backdrop views from the layout. The course plays though several open fields that have buildings in view. There are a few backyards that can be seen and that can come into play on hole (5). I scored the course a 1.75/5 for beauty.

Other Thoughts: I immediately played nearby Dublin Park again after visiting here as I wanted to be able to freshly compare these two somewhat similar courses. Asbury is a longer and flatter version of Dublin. Although I have scored both courses a 1, IMO, Asbury is clearly a better course and would be the one I'd play if I didn't have time to play the also nearby, Indian Creek. Id actually bump this course to a 1.25 rating if we could give those scores. No need for the casual Huntsville area player to stop by hear unless they feel the need to play every area course. For the course bagger, Huntsville has become a goldmine for checking off courses. There are 14 DGCR listed courses within a 20 minute drive of downtown. There is also unlisted Knox Creek, and three other area courses being built or proposed. Talk about a honey hole.