East Bethel, MN
Blue Ribbon Pines DGC Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #16 (Taken 6/2015)

Share URL:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12 13
Good, not great

1    8/9/2016   8/9/2016
Review By: odysseus
This review was updated on 9/14/2017
Pros: -Nice teepads
-Ok mix of Open & Wooded Shots
-Nice baskets
Cons: -Is not a challenge in terms of elevation & water
-Too many 'gimmicky' holes/shots
-Too many open holes without risk of penalty or loss of strokes
-Signage is meh
Other Thoughts: Thought is would be better since it is rated so high

LOVE. THIS. COURSE.

1    8/9/2016   8/9/2016
Review By: Funleavy90
This review was updated on 8/22/2016
Pros: Gorgeous course just on the north side of the Twin Cities.
-Course offers 27 holes with a variety of wooded and open shots, and water in play
- Every shot is as technical as the next.
-Well maintained with almost all holes have "landscaped" features including a hanging basket.
-Course is easy to follow for the most part
-Extended hangle rakes next to water features.
-Two land island greens/One water island - Hole 27 was being altered to be surrounding by water on all sides
Cons: Don't have any cons. Couldn't be more satisfied with my first visit here. For sure won't be my last!
Other Thoughts: This is a pay-to-play course but $5 for an all day pass is very well worth it.
-Well stocked Pro Shop containing variety of discs.
-Snack Shack located half way through the course (only open during weekends :/ )
-Trash/Recycling cans at every tee.

Best course ever!

2-4    7/25/2016   7/26/2016
Review By: Charlie Deville
Pros: Beautiful property, manicured fairways, ladscaping everywhere, uniquely designed holes, lots of par 4s, concession stand at half way point, the list goes on and on.
Cons: Not closer to where I live!
Other Thoughts: I have been told for years to go play BRP. I arrived full of doubt and left a believer! This is the most ideal course you could ever hope for. Every detail has been paid attention to. Every hole is challenging yet memorable. A true disc golf destination.

1    7/6/2016   7/6/2016
Review By: redvinesfrolf
Pros: -Baskets and tees are in great condition. Multiple positions for most baskets, and although there are many tee types (concrete, brick, artificial, circular), the are all immaculate.
-Great variety and every kind of hole. 140-760 feet holes, tight and technical to bomber holes, left- and right-turning holes.
-Benches and trash cans on nearly every hole.
-They had people on the course doing maintenance in multiple places. I haven't seen course work this impressive anywhere I've been.
-Great facilities, huge disc selection, drinks and snacks.
Cons: -Tee signs are pretty basic and not as helpful as they could be. For a course of this level, it's an area for improvement.
-Little elevation, but that's not their fault.
Other Thoughts: BRP is top-of-the-line disc golf. A lot of fantastic holes, especially 4 (the tunnel), 16 (the hanging basket), 18 (760' bomb) and 26 (hole on the rock hill). It's the closest course I've seen to a ball golf course in its maintenance and facilities, which is a high compliment. Everything at Blue Ribbon is done right and it's hard to find negatives about a course like this.

Finally made it here....

2-4    6/28/2016   6/28/2016
Review By: pfpro
Pros: + Great variety. 27 holes, so an extra 9 compared to a "normal" course. I didn't feel like I was playing the same hole over and over again. More wooded than open, but a good mix. I played the short configuration, so the course wasn't overly long.
+ The course design was good. For the most part, the tee placements and routes were fair. The wooded holes were not easy. Some have complained the open holes were boring. I feel like they were different enough, and being able to air it out was refreshing. There is many OBs, well defined - it's easy to know if it your disc is in or out.
+ This course was manicured. The fairways were well defined. Many greens had new mulch. This is disc-golf done well. Many of the teepads were built up and landscaped. Many greens had boulders or pavers. Although you are in the MN woods, the rough was not punishing. When I did end up in the rough, I wasn't worried about not being able to find my disc in overgrown rough. I'm sure there are some spots, but in general, the rough has been beaten back. It looks like they are developing 27 into an "island" green. Since it's under construction, it's not quite up to snuff with the rest of the course.
+ I liked the flow of the course. I feel like there are several points where you could skip forward to get to a shorter round, if you are under a time crunch.
+ Benches at every tee. Garbage cans at most (all?). Port-o-potties in several places throughout the course. Pro shop with a ton of discs (didn't check the prices, assuming they are competitive), snack shop (wasn't open when I was playing).
Cons: These are all nit-picky, as this is the best course that I have played on (in my 50+ courses). There are really very minimal cons, but will put them here.
- There is no/minimal elevation change. There's not much they can do about this. There are a few artificial mounds.
- The black flies are somewhat annoying.
- The signs are descriptive enough, but several times I had to refer to the map on the back of my scorecard to make sure I was throwing to the right basket (the first time through the course).
- It's not super convenient from a location standpoint, but, it is a destination course.
Other Thoughts: My corporate headquarters are in the Twin Cities, so this course has been on my list since I started playing disc golf. Its been 6 years, and my schedule finally worked out. It was a blast, I made it out on a weekday, got there at 11:30, played two rounds in about two hours. The course was not full (maybe a dozen or so groups on the course), and played through about a half dozen groups in the two rounds - everyone was super cool about letting me play through. It was awesome. The course kicked my butt. Was playing with a downsized bag, and threw my driver in the pond the first round (am really hoping I get it back). Didn't matter, had a blast. Of the 27 holes, other than the mando short dogleg right, I felt like they were all legit holes.I met the owner(?) on top of the teepad hill for 19, got to thank him for such a beautiful property. Don't know what the "signature" holes are. #4 (the Tunnel), 440' - brutal. The two pond shots - these seem like "typical" MN holes. The bomber holes? I would love to get to play here with my full bag. I hope to get back before another 6 years. I highly recommend getting the BRP if you are in the area.

Enchanting

5+    6/4/2016   6/13/2016
Review By: iiTANTALiiZE
Pros: Course is very well kept, extremely fun to throw. I find the long corridor holes very challenging and a blast to try to throw properly. Great variety of hole placement, and neat approach designs. very well thought out tee and pin placement/utilization of land. Tees were all very nice and taken care of. Tee to pin markings were accurate. each time I have thrown, there seems to have been changes made to improve overall integrity of the course. Very much worth the 5 dollar day pass to play here. Food/refreshment shack is a nice touch on one of the double tees.
Cons: Not much for cons here. This course attracts very large groups as it is a fun course to throw, in turn potentially slowing play. I would suggest going early if you would like to try to avoid this from happening to you. The only other thing I can think of to improve the course is next hole signage to show next tee from completed hole. Not a necessary but would be nice.
Other Thoughts: I am very impressed with the staff that I have been in contact with. They have all been very accommodating and friendly, and are willing to share knowledge about the growing sport. Additionally, I lost a disc in the pond in front of hole 22, played a second round and saw a stack of discs that had just been pulled from the pond at the food shack. I saw my disc in the middle of the stack, and mentioned that it was mine to the employee working the food stand. She asked for my ID which matched the name on the disc, and she gave the ok to grab it! I was lucky to have seen it, and appreciated retaining that disc :)

Blue Ribbon

1    2/22/2016   2/25/2016
Review By: Spike Hyzer 23
Pros: Exceptional design and flow for 27 holes.
Great mix of distances and highly technical, also featuring some hanging and elevated baskets.
Water in play and lots of OB.
Very large tee pads with paving stones to stop erosion.
Pro shop with great disc selection.
Course dog.
A nice guy named Ray who will stop to chat.

Cons: There really are no cons to a course like this, though there is almost no elevation to speak of, which is not the fault of anyone involved with this fine facility. We all have to work with the land we are given, and this is a spectacular use of the land.
Other Thoughts: If I had a con, it would be those long tunnel holes with a row of trees on either side (why are these so common in MN, when I've never seen them anywhere else in the US?). These holes are simply patently unfair in terms of disc golf. Hole #4 here, in particular, has some sort of access path to the left. A righty will hyzer and finish on that path and have a clear anhyzer to the basket for a second shot (probably under 200 feet). The lefty fades right into deep, dense woods, and any attempt to move the disc forward and leave it on the narrow (10 or 15 feet at most) 'fairway' will be met with another hyzer or kick to the right.

I chose to move it only 50 feet forward, across the fairway and to that cart path to the left of the tree line over there. Then I had a 125 foot hyzer to the pin and got my 4.

Still, unless you can throw 450 on a frozen rope 3 feet off the ground, there is no chance of a deuce and very little chance of a 3.

Holes like this should be banned.

One of the Best

2-4    10/17/2015   11/7/2015
Review By: Airfishey
Pros: + Good shot variety between long open shots and tight control shots.
+ Excellent tee pads, some of which are unique and shared for multiples holes.
+ Concession stand cabin that you will pass multiple times in a round.
+ Big pro shop with lots of discs and merchandise
+ Cool wood carvings throughout the course
+ Creative uses of elevation change with hanging baskets and multi-tiered landscaped mounds.
+ Always has well maintained fairways.
Other Thoughts: Don't miss this course if you are in the area.

Really fun, for the most part

1    9/10/2015   10/6/2015
Review By: Stardoggy
Pros: Blue Ribbon Pines is 27 holes situated on the north side of Minneapolis.

Concrete tee pads, all in pretty solid shape. Grippy, and long/wide as you could need. One tee position per hole.

DGA baskets, all in good repair and caught exactly as you'd expect them to. Most holes had one position, some had two.

Tee signs were solid, with all the information you'd need, and then some. Navigation was pretty easy throughout, which was nice. Some scouting was needed on a few holes, but no big deal there.

Lots of shots to be had here. The wooded areas are used very nicely to force lines, with many holes having a couple possible lines to hit. Straight, left, right...a little bit of everything.

I really liked the longer wooded holes here...especially those with water. You really had to think about placement, or the risk/reward of going for it. Holes 10, 17, and 22 really stood out in this area. I appreciate holes that aren't long, or watered, just for the sake of it. Many of these holes you had to really think about strategy, and execute a decent shot.

The manicuring here is second to none. Wood chips around every basket, built up structures, rock barriers...the list goes on and on. A lot of love has been put into this establishment.

Cons: There's not much elevation here...but at least what they do have is used about as well as can be expected.

One tee pad per hole is a real bummer here. It felt like there was a TON of opportunity to expand this, as there really wasn't a ton of holes crowded together. With the plethora of new courses popping up, single tee pads is a huge downer in my book.

P2P, which isn't really a ding for me, but some people don't love it. $5/head.

The open field holes were ok, but quite repetitious. I didn't hate them, but I didn't love them, either. Wind is a real ass kicker on these.

Some people may love these, but I wasn't a big fan of the "kitschy" holes. Hanging baskets, and miniature golf type dogleg holes don't get my DG blood pumping, and are a negative in my book.
Other Thoughts: BRP really is a great course, and combined with VQ right up the road, it's about as solid a day of disc golf as you can find anywhere. With an on-site pro shop, a (sometimes open...wasn't when we were here on a Friday) concession stand mid-course, and other amenities, you won't want for creature comforts.

My rating isn't so much for what BRP isn't, but more an indication of how other top notch courses are being built. Another set of tee pads here would go a LONG way, and definitely bump up my rating.

All in all, a must play if you're in the area, along with all the other great courses around the Twin Cities.

Blue Ribbon is a fitting name!

5+    9/1/2015   9/10/2015
Review By: Airborn Leiviska
Pros: This course and property has an atmosphere unlike any in the country. Everyone is so excited and happy to be at the place that put pay to play disc golf on the map for MN.
So much thought, care and work has been put into every hole with landscaping, colored woods chips and water features, that really make every hole have a lot of character.
Technically, one of the more challenging courses in the world, with a premium placed on getting off the tee clean. It can make for some long holes if you hit early trees.
A good variety of par 3s and 4s. Regular hole 7 is my favorite on the course (besides hole 4 of course). It requires a straight tee shot that you don't want to hyzer left on or pull right because you are playing to a lay up zone short of a man made pond at about 400 feet from tee. Your shot to the green plays around 400 over the pond, another shot that you need to finish straight instead of hyzering off the green. Green is lined with logs that will prevent you from scooting to far past the basket if you keep it low. This is a hole that even the most skilled players have to play the lay up shot, and it is the definition of a true par 4.
Snack shack halfway through the course where the grills are usually going and beverages are served.
Bonfire pits throughout the course for the cold winter leagues.
Pets are welcome!
This course is always evolving and getting even more character, and it is going to be fun seeing this place continue to grow and get better over the next 10 years and beyond...
Cons: The only con I can think of is that it is getting so popular. On a nice summer weekend day, there are ALOT of players out there and it can get slow at times and can make for a longer round than anticipated.
Other Thoughts: This is where the finals of the MN Majestic were held in 2015, and the skins match. A fitting place for such a large gallery.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12 13