Conroe, TX
McDade Park Share

Solid Course

1    12/5/2020   12/9/2020
Review By: abochkod
Pros: Good baskets and teepads
Good tee signs with accurate distances
Some distances variety including 2 par 4's
Not many places to lose a disc
Good for beginners with some shots that will push distance but nothing too punishing
Cons: Not a ton of variety in shot shapes
For me there were too many low ceiling shots
A few tweener par 3's that don't offer a ton of scoring separation
Other Thoughts: I played this course in a tournament and the people on my card were familiar with the course so I didn't get a good feel for how clear the flow of the course was.

Bigger and Better

5+    6/15/2019   6/16/2019
Review By: rbsold
Pros: This course has something for everyone, I love to have a course nearby with Par 4's. Also, you will find Hole 3(Old 18) is still probably the most demanding Par 3 I've ever played(only 29 courses played) and holes 14 and 15 are also very challenging as Par 3's. This course makes up for lack in elevation with these challenging holes. I love that there are so many tempting shots, that it really can draw you in to trouble, rather than just playing it safe. Open holes to Heavily wooded(looking at you hole 3). Tee signs are great, and like the new putting area better. It always felt more natural to start from old 16 anyways.
Cons: Baskets are not getting any younger, but still fine. As said before in Pros, lack of elevation, but some of the hole's distance will make up for it. Mainly a RHBH course imo. Only time I break out my RHFH from the tee is on 17(old 14), I used to use it on old 5(now combined with old 6 for par 4, so I throw flex BH) and 10.
Other Thoughts: They took out hyper-"ACE"-able hole 12, and made hole 3(Now 9) not nearly as easy to Ace. Super fun course to play with a group, Layout is well thought-out, cart friendly for you cart folks.

Great Improvement

1    5/26/2019   6/9/2019
Review By: c_a_miller
Pros: Ever since its inception, McDade Park has been one of the better courses in the Houston-area especially on the northside of town. In my opinion, this new layout cements itself as the top course on the northside and top three in the Houston area.

I read my review on the old layout from seven years ago, and the new design addresses some of the cons -- the course uses a new part of the park that has a little bit of elevation, still not a whole lot, but more than it used to be.

I enjoyed the variety of distances from the shorter 200' holes to the holes that need two solid drives for a chance at a 3. I also felt the shot variety is much more improved on.

The new layout is roughly 1000' longer than the older one, and it shows. There is a high level of difficulty here (especially if you're hungover like I was when I played here)
Cons: The concrete tees that were used previously are still in the ground, which can lead to some confusion. Though, a good way to navigate is only use teepads with the tee signs (duh)

Speaking of tee signs, I felt that they did not accurately show the flight path needed. Hole 11' tee sign, the longest hole on the course, shows on its sign that the basket should be straight with a slight finish to the left, and the basket is blind from the tee. I threw and ended up throwing to the wrong basket, because the actual basket had a right turn from the tee pad. It was frustrating being there for my first time.
Other Thoughts: One note is the target player attracted to a course like this has shifted to more experienced players. New players will get frustrated here as it's long and tough.

I really enjoyed my round here. I applaud Andi and the City of Conroe for all the work they did in redesigning this course. Every time this course is mentioned, everyone always has great things to say about it.

Great course all the way around

5+    5/16/2019   5/17/2019
Review By: DTShibley
Pros: Brand new course design. Great variety of shots. Good level of difficulty. Easy to follow with a minimap of each hole at every tee pad. Good mix of open holes and holes with narrow tunnel shots. Located in very popular McDade Park. Good atmosphere and fun to play. There are always people playing this course. Most popular one in town.
Cons: Very few cons. Lots of people play It so sometimes it can get crowded.
Other Thoughts: Great course for intermediate to advanced players. Even some beginners can learn to play this course well after a few rounds. I've been playing a few months and I have yet to shoot below par. Still an awesome course.

Big Improvement

1    4/30/2019   5/5/2019
Review By: Pizza God
Pros: Cement tee pads
new tee signs with maps of the hole
Kiosk with map of the course
new parking lot mostly for Disc Golf
Decent flow
Permanent Port a Potty on site
course has hole 9 loop back near the parking area.
Cons: Honestly, I can't think of any
Other Thoughts: HUGE improvement with this latest redesign. The old course was more "rec" friendly, this redesign made the course more of a challenge by adding over 1000 ft to the total distance.

They moved the "Disc Golf" parking to a different parking lot, while others may still use this lot, it will mostly be disc golfers only now.

Very few of the holes went unchanged. Some had tee boxes moved, some had baskets moved, some were combined and new holes were added.

The course is moderately to heavy wooded in some spots with only a couple of more open holes. Several holes that I would consider par 4's now. At least I feel like I did good getting a 3 on them.

Would I play here again? I enjoyed my round on the old layout last year, I shot several under, it was a mostly pitch and putt course with a few longer holes thrown in. Now it is a much better rounded course, more of a challenge. Yes, I look forward to playing this course again someday.