Wentzville, MO
Quail Ridge Share
Uploaded By: fairweather_fan Hole #13 (Taken 3/2009)
Hole #13 Red Tee (basket roughly 200' ahead situated on small hill near right side tree line)

Share URL:

< Prev 1 2 3 4
 One of the best in the STL area

5+    3/4/2017   3/4/2017
Review By: Thestlmo314
Pros: This is probably my favorite course in St. Louis. The amount of variety here is unmatched, with two sets of concrete tees for am and pro (they really do mean PRO...more on that later) and multiple pins for most holes.

As a result, this course ranges from very beginner friendly and not too difficult to absolute championship caliber. I'm pretty sure a par round from the pro tees and furthest pin placements would be rated close to 1000. .. Whereas the shorter pins and am tees offer a great park for the casual player. There's also some OB to contend with but nothing too crazy. Only negative here is lack of any par 4s or huge wide open bombs.

Many holes will have a pretty wide open line from am and then the pro tees will almost always either be further down a hill or make you go through some sort of tunnel to get to the pin(some of them are just ridiculous...think 5 foot wide gap 100 feet in front of you that you must hit to avoid oblivion).

Something I recommend (after playing a few times and familiarizing with the course) for an intermediate player such as myself would be to play half am tees and half pro tees... I usually do hole 1, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 16, 17 and 18 from am tees and the rest from pro... It gives a great mix of simple and challenging shots and offers a round that shouldn't get out of hand too quickly.

There's a practice hole and bathrooms right before hole 1, and I haven't gone yet in the middle of summer when everything is grown in yet... But judging from the quality of the park itself I'm sure it is maintained very well. Also nice decent sized baskets that are pretty catchy.
Cons: I'm going to get real nitpicky here so just note that all of these are very minor things that would in no way deter me from coming back again and again.

-Course gets pretty crowded, so best to go early. Also plenty of people jogging/walking their dogs on the OB walkpaths so gotta watch out for that
-all par 3... I really feel like this course would be hands down the best around if they had added a few par 4s.
-if you're bringing a dog, you'll pretty much have to leash them up unless you have them extremely well trained... I only say this because I usually bring my dog with me all the time when I play and this course is the only one where it becomes a hassle if I do.
Other Thoughts: This course is a must play if you live in st Louis or are even visiting. You will not regret it one bit, no matter your skill level.

Quail Ridge DGC

1    7/11/2016   7/11/2016
Review By: willwilkins
Pros: -Well seasoned and maintained
-Multiple pin positions and alternate tees
-Generally good flow between holes/mid-round vehicle access
-Fantastically challenging
-High risk/reward shots
Cons: Basket visibility from tee
Other Thoughts: Quail Ridge is a fantastic course. I'm glad I made the trip out there and I look forward to doing so again. This was my first time and played it alone, so had some issues with knowing my line from the tee (baskets are hard to see). That is and will remain my only complaint.

The short tees make the technical nature of the environment manageable, but the big boy tees really make this place shine. You'll use a wide variety of your known shots and innovate a few new ones as well.

From the alternate pads I still found myself mostly driving with Rocs and putters with the occasional Firebird/Destroyer crank. That said, it'll make you think and make you work.

Before Quail Ridge I'd have said my favorite course in the area was Jefferson Barracks (still a dope course), but the sheer scope and challenge of woods, elevation change, and blind tee shots pushed QR to favorite status. Tons of fun.

In the minority....

2-4    5/20/2016   5/20/2016
Review By: mrbro855
Pros: With the exception of the first two and last three holes, it is a very wooded course, so those who like that will love it.
Multiple concrete pads, and the occasional third marker offering a variety of tee shots.
Signage at each of the short tee pads.
Cons: Got a bit confusing in the woods.... got turned around a couple times. Some of the paths are not in the best shape and could actually be dangerous if wet.
After a while the woods shots seemed the same... get it past the first wave of trees...
Other Thoughts: Have played this course three times and never finished it... (once-rain, once- darkness, and once- time to be somewhere else...)
Read lots of good reviews about this, but not my type of course.... Could be that I was tired.... eighth course played in a three day stretch....
Ultimately, it's decent (2.5) but not anymore than that...

Quail Ridge

5+    4/24/2016   5/9/2016
Review By: jvbh792
Pros: Some course you go to a have only one or two really signature tee shots. This course brags at least 9 very unique tee shots. Not to mention beautiful. I love the big valley woods holes. Makes you feel like your playing golf in middle earth.
Cons: A majority of the holes favor a RHBH anhyzer shot. So if you don't have the arm strength to turn a disc you'll have a tough time getting a par. Forehand works well if you can throw that.
Other Thoughts: One of my favorites and worth the drive for me. Always well maintained. The field holes reward bigger arms and the woods holes reward shot placement and risk management (I've had a few putts miss a basket and roll into oblivion). One of the best the St. Louis area has to offer.

Quality wooded course

1    3/15/2016   4/20/2016
Review By: Chained Evil
Pros: Quail Ridge offers multiple pin placements and dual tee pads.
The signage is good and the tee pads are ample allowing for a proper run up.
Excellent elevation changes here with a lot of uphill/downhill shots.
There is a nice mix of short, moderate, and longer holes here as well.
Most of the holes are of the technical/wooded variety with a few open holes towards the end to balance things out a bit.
Other amenities close by like playground, walking trails, etc.
Many of the tee signs have a bolt that is placed in the A B or C position to indicate which placement the pin is in.
Dog leg L and R holes here and low ceilings are present as well. A few holes have guarded pins to add to the challenge of the round.
Lines need to be shaped here and the golfing is quality.
Benches and trashcans are present throughout the course too.
Cons: Hard pack can get slick after heavy rain making footing an issue.
Long walks from 12's basket to 13's tee, 13's basket to 14's tee, and 18's basket to the parking lot slow the flow of round down a bit.
It can be hard to find discs when there are a lot of leaves on the ground. Keep a watchful eye to where you land to be sure.
Other Thoughts: This is a great older course that stills has a lot of good golf to offer its guests. There are ACE runs here and birdies should be attainable as well. This course will test your accuracy and your mental game as well. If you get off the fairway a well placed upshot will be needed to save your par. Thus a variety of shots will be needed on this course.
This course isn't overly technical but it will challenge your game. It is a good course and if you are close it goes great with Fort Zumwalt park down the road. I would play both of those 2 courses if I were in the area again. Its worth your time to play this course. I'm sure there is something here for most all disc golfers.

Excellent Course

1    3/24/2016   3/27/2016
Review By: CatPoopie
Pros: Excellent variation in the type of holes and superb fields. Plenty of obstacles without seeming too cluttered. Very clean course.
Cons: Nothing to say. Loved it all.
Other Thoughts: I've only played through it once, so maybe I'll have a different opinion after a few more tries

Quail Ridge Is A Lovely Piece Of Land!

1    10/21/2015   10/31/2015
Pros: One can tell that an tremendous amount of work has gone into making this course the excellent disc golf experience that it is today. The terrain perfectly suits disc golf with it's lovely rolling hills, wooded hillsides and sparse undergrowth. I appreciate the engineering of built up tee pads, bridges crossing steep ravines, benches, raised baskets and the nicely oversized concrete tee pads. The Titan baskets by Gateway are fine but a little hard to spot in the woods sometimes.

There are multiple positions for each basket but I found no way of knowing which position the basket was in on this particular day. Some kind of a system would really be beneficial here. The older wooden signs are fine.
Cons: There were a few wide open throws which I found a little boring.

I understand the course can get busy although there were few players out when I played.

Gateway baskets are difficult to spot in the shade and from a distance. Nice brightly colored DGA models that I've played lately would be so much better here.

Needs a system to indicate which position basket is in.

I could see this course being treacherous after rains.
Other Thoughts: I liked this course a lot. I would be real happy to claim this as my home course. It has a nice variety of throws needed. The park is lovely, safe, inviting, relatively free from other park users. Basically, it's just a really nice place to come and enjoy a round of golf.

Amazing round!

1    10/5/2014   10/7/2014
Review By: jjw4ucm
Pros: First off, this is a gorgeous course situated in a very pretty multi-use park that's easy to access. The woods were beautiful in fall.

True, there are more wooded shots than open, but it's not overwhelming and most of the holes are a blast to play.

The signs are not perfect -- but I love the old wooden signs. It seems to fit perfectly with the rest of this woodsy, beautiful course!

I really liked the shot variety here a lot. There are some ridiculously tight shots that need more than just a fairly straight drive to nail (15).

While this is clearly a very multi-use park, the course designers did a great job keeping the fairways away from populated areas for the most part. There are some trails snaking around the area, but generally you won't throw a drive on them unless you're way off.

Multiple tee positions on many of the holes help add some length and/or variety, depending on what you're looking for.

Lots of nice amenities on the course. Not only are there benches and trash cans everywhere, I was happy to see a bridge has been built over the ravine near 9 and 10, along with a "USE THIS PATH" marker. Thanks for keeping us safe!

The course makes great use of the elevation and nature present. Given the land that exists, you can't help but feel they squeezed most of what they could out of it.

Navigation is not ideal, but not horrible if you watch for the "next tee" arrow present on the signs. 3-4 was the only area I found it easy to get lost. 14 is also a bit of a hike if I recall correctly.

Ample parking, and in what I presume is a very safe neighborhood.

Course seemed very well maintained when I was there. Everything was neatly mowed, trimmed, and garbage was emptied and picked up.

Overall, the use of elevation, trees, nature, and shot selection are what make this such a fun play, in my opinion. Wish I was closer so I could play more often!
Cons: Baskets are dull and can be hard to spot, even in full sun and broad daylight due to the dense tree canopy. Contrast this with Rosedale Down Under in KC with the bright orange baskets.

Not a ton of opportunities to open up and throw -- most of the holes here are fairly short. Not a problem, but at least one long bomb would have been nice!

Hole 14 (I believe it is) plays fairly close to the parking lot, and a very errant shot can end up over there. I recommend parking on the right side of the lot when you pull in! (No, we didn't hit anyone)

I did not see any active pin marking system in place. With lots of dense shade, it can be very hard to see where you're shooting and this can get frustrating. 18's FIVE pin positions are, in my opinion, ridiculous, especially with no way of knowing which is active without running up.

Course can get very muddy when it rains. Not much they can do about it, but just be aware.
Other Thoughts: When I rate courses, I mainly look at how much fun it was to play, the amount of different shots required, the scenery, etc. It's hard for me to find a lot of faults with this course, and the ones I did mention are getting nit picky.

I realize I'm on the very high end of the spectrum with this rating, but I do feel it's justified. The natural beauty and use of elevation and trees really make this an incredible play in my opinion. Furthermore, the shots are all fun in their own way, and I did not get bored here at all.

With that being said, I have to give this course a 4.5. The course alone is probably a solid 4.0, but the park itself and setting really are what push it over the edge. After I play more courses in STL, I will be happy to re-evaluate, but this is my first impression, and it was a great one!

Hometown Course

5+    7/20/2014   8/4/2014
Review By: stlstretch2
Pros: Well laid out
Clean course
Good mix of trees and open throws
Good walk through the park
Cons: Baskets are dull and hard to spot
Trees! Lots of trees
Steep hills on a few throws
Last 3 holes are confusing
Other Thoughts: I love this course. This is my go to. It's easy to learn and easy to play. All the holes are Par 3, but some can be tricky to throw on. The course goes all over the park, which, personally I like. It's worth playing on.

Hunting for birdies at Quail Ridge

1    4/19/2014   4/24/2014
Review By: BogeyNoMore
Pros: Plays through the woods in a busy, well-maintained, county park with a decidedly suburban vibe to it.
Disc Play: Primarily woodsy and hilly, leaning toward the short and technical end of the spectrum, with a few open/lightly wooded holes and some moderately wooded ones providing a nice balance. Holes 1-3 ease you in with open fairways over gently rolling terrain. Placement and control from the tee become more important starting with #4, and pretty much stay that way through 12. The back end of the course opens up bit more, but still requires decent control. Nice variety of hole shapes requiring a fairly well-rounded shot-making repertoire. Although there are several routes to the pin through the trees, some will seem more obvious (if not more natural) depending on your preference for throwing BH turnovers, FH, etc., but most of the holes encourage decision making and demand good execution. Features tight woods, plenty of elevation changes, and treacherous pin placements. Things open up a bit here and there on #'s13-18, but The Ridge definitely favors placement over distance.
Mutiple tees to add distance and difficulty, and multiple pins to keep locals from getting bored.
Splendid use of elevation throughout: downhill, uphill, gulleys, rises, slopes... Risk/reward payoffs all over the place - lots of dicey pin placements on steep slopes or near drop-offs reward playing smart (i.e. within your game). Get too aggressive for your ability, and long come-backs will add strokes to your score quickly. Execute well off the tee and you can set up some decent putts for birdies. Bouncing off trees can be a nasty double whammy, not only taking you off the fairway, but likely sending you rolling down the steep hill... sometimes a waaay down the hill, resulting in a comeback from hell.
Equipment: Concrete tees for reds, natural for whites/blues were in good shape, as are the baskets. Simple wooden signs with distance for reds and whites also show relative locations where holes have multiple pin placements. Blue and white tees marked with shorter posts. Baskets in good shape, caught well. Scorecard with map at the kiosk off the parking lot.
Routing/Nav: Holes 1, 2, and 13 were the only tricky spots, but the map was a big help for those. The rest flowed pretty intuitively. # 9 comes loops back to parking.
Aesthetics: With the constantly rolling terrain and earthy feel, I found The Ridge quite appealing, but nothing spectacular. Tee pads near slopes nicely dressed up with landscape stones to combat erosion and give the course a well-cared for appearance. Definitely a pleasant walk through the park.
Memorable holes: #1's a fun, open shot at the pin, but nose-up RHBH shot that sail long have a long way to fade (perhaps OB), with a long uphill comeback. 9 has you throwing over a deep gully through numerous trees, all vying for the chance to send your well-intentioned quest for the pin aaallll the way down to the bottom, where you'll have to fight your way back up for a likely bogey... mebbe a double. # 11 is a short downhill ace run with a pin placement that has trouble written all over it. 15's a short deuce or die hole that dares you to hit a tiny window. #16 is perhaps the most open hole on the course, but the uphill makes it play much longer than it is - also a beautiful hole visually.
Restrooms close to several holes.
Cons:
No truly long holes, seems they could have worked one in toward the end.
Baskets hard to spot in the woods - please splash some color on 'em, add flags... something.
Mostly segregated from other activities, but a few holes play near walk ways; dog walkers, joggers, baby strollers, etc. Not bad over all, but high flying RHBH hyzers on #1 are probably the biggest concern because pedestrians may not see it coming from above at all, and many people seem clueless when you yell "FORE!"
The middle holes (set on steep, hilly slopes in the woods where no grass grows) have to be treacherous to traverse when wet.
Gets busy - arrive early to avoid the crowds.
Other Thoughts: With fabulously varying terrain and a spectrum of shots ranging from very well wooded to open, and plenty in between, The Ridge rates very high on my personal fun factor scale - but it's probably not for everyone. If threading short shots through tree trunks, or hitting metal on your putt, only to have it roll way downhill (where you'll need another couple of shots to hole out) turns you off, I can't see how you'll enjoy playing here. The Ridge is full of holes that could be easy deuces (or aces for that matter), but could just as well end up as bogeys or doubles if you go long or bounce off the numerous trees and end up at the bottom of a chasm.

Not championship caliber, The Ridge is appropriate for beginners to advanced players, but seems particularly well suited to the intermediate player. Playing here is all about mitigating risk while creating opportunity; finding the line/release angle combo that reduces the chance of getting into trouble, yet still has a chance of setting up a good look at deuce. I shot 53, but this course plays to my strengths like few others. This is a course you could shoot -7 on, but could easily shoot +10 going for it at every opportunity.

Objectively, I see this course as 3.5 - 3.75, but awarded a 4.0 because of where it rates on my personal likes/dislikes, the great condition it was in, and how much fun I had playing here. If I were local, I'd be here all the time.

< Prev 1 2 3 4