Raton, NM
Uploaded By: Bpotts Hole #11

Well worth a stop

1    6/1/2020   6/1/2020
Review By: Tim_the_Enchanter
Pros: -Great terrain for disc golf, lots of trees and elevation
-Beautiful views
-Challenging holes
-Clean
-Integrates well with ball golf course
-Free, carts available if needed
-Nice baskets
-Albatross toss definitely worth the extra hike
-Front and back 9 loop back to the parking lot
Cons: -Signage could be improved
-Rugged
-Can be tough to navigate in parts
-Small teepads
-Can get windy
-Lots of snakes--not sure if venomous, but good to keep an eye out
Other Thoughts: My friend and I stopped here on a road trip, seeing as it's the only 18 hole course around for miles. I was a bit leery going into it, because I'm naturally skeptical of ball golf and disc golf together. I was pleasantly surprised though, the disc golf plays alongside the ball golf, but most of the discing is far enough removed to not interfere with the ball golf. We ran into a few golfers, but were able to share the property without issue.

Carts are available, but we decided to walk for the exercise. We didn't have any issue with the walk, but it was a pretty tiring round. You'll definitely want to have plenty of water, conveniently there's a pro shop, and the front 9 finishes at the parking lot so you can resupply if you want.

Navigation was mostly straightforward, but tricky in places. The guy in the pro shop gave us a map, but we found out that it was inaccurate when we got to the back 9. Udisc was essential for us to find our way.

The albatross toss on hole 11 is definitely worth the extra hike, nice top of the world shot and great views of the valley and mountains around (according to udisc, it was a par 5 but we both got 3s with pretty mediocre shots.)

Rubber teepads were in good condition, but a bit on the small side, I'd like to see bigger tees if possible, but not a big deal. More informative tee signs and "next tee" directions would be the best thing to add to help the course IMO.

All in all, a really fun course, I don't know if I'll ever be back in Raton, but if so, I'll make sure to stop by.

Just go... worth it.

1    2/28/2020   5/21/2020
Review By: Bpotts
Pros: -Plenty of variety of shots required
-Up/Downhill mixed with tail/headwinds
-Course fairways well kept
-Albatross Toss (the long teepad) on 11 is a must!
-Should host a tournament (has the facilities)
-Apparently you can use golf carts, found out about this afterwards
-Rubber tee pads
-Hole markers adjacent to teepads
-Close encounters with friendly deer (see pics)
Cons: Gets darker a bit quicker (if not used to mountains)
Go play. It's a great course.
Other Thoughts: Was my first time playing DG on both a ball golf course and in a mountainous course.

Will be back...dang it.