Southaven, MS
Uploaded By: Conar7 Hole #17

oh hum

1    2/27/2011   3/6/2011
Review By: Pizza God
Pros: Very nice Tee pads

good baskets.

pretty good use of the land given.

Several long holes for those that really like to air it out.

Pretty easy to follow course, with one exception listed in the con's.
Cons: The course has recently been redesigned or something, some of the tee signs did not reflect the hole.

A few of the tee signs were damaged.

Ok, hole number 5 is a good hole, but after playing the hole, you have to walk back behind 5's tee pad to play #6 that tee's off the other direction. That really annoyed me. It took me more than 5 min to figure it out because it was not marked anywhere.

Long holes are long just to be long. They are OK holes, but I am NOT a fan of 600ft holes. (BTW, I 3'd both of them)
Other Thoughts: I would not play this course again. I did not enjoy my round.

There were two major design flaws, the tee for #6 is 100 ft behind the tee for #5. I figured that #6 tee was #7 when I saw it. I mean who designs a hole that throws one way, then you walk back past the tee to tee off on the next hole?

The next design flaw was #14's basket vs #15's fairway. It was not a crossing fairway, but a direct flight to the basket would nearly go over #14's basket. There was no mando marked on any of the tree's or the tee sign. Even then, it still would be a bad design because rec players don't play mando's (or out of bounds for that matter)

Don't get me wrong, there were several good holes. #3 and #5 come to mind right off the bat. The rest were not horrible, just not memorable.

In general, I would say play one of the other courses in the area like Latimer Lakes, Shelby Farms, Shelby Forrest or Bud Hill.

1    10/4/2010   10/4/2010
Review By: mattdabbs
Pros: This course offers several challenges. The first is the length. There are several holes that you are going to be either very luck to get par or else have a cannon for an arm and accuracy. I like the feel of the park. Some courses just don't feel like they used a very nice piece of land for the course and just put it wherever it could be out of the way. This course is on an excellent and well maintained piece of property.

The course has a nice flow and gets you close to your car to start the back nine. It is a bit of a walk from 18 to your car but nothing outrageous. The park also has nice facilities as it is a multiuse park on the periphery of the course.

I loved the use of elevation. Being from Florida I am not used to that. It didn't overdo the elevation changes like Wall Doxey.
Cons: The length would be a con to some. There were city workers all over hole 4 and they blocked the only really viable line to get par. So we had to shoot way around them which made this 625 foot hole play like it was 725.

This course was very, very dirty when I played it. This may just be being from Florida and being used to sand but the wind would kick up all kinds of dirt. It was not nearly as lush as when these course photos were taken.
Other Thoughts: This park was very enjoyable. The creek was dry when I played it and that would have made for more challenge. Hole 17 is the signature hole, especially if water is present. I would gladly play this course again if I am back in the area.

1    10/8/2009   10/12/2009
Review By: shyguy30
This review was updated on 7/12/2019
Pros: -Good variety of hole lengths and shapes, especially on the front 9
-Several pin placements that take full advantage of the landscape, particularly 5 and 17.
-Well-maintained park
-Nice tee pads
Cons: -Back 9 seemed to get redundant as it runs down one side of the creek and then back (creek was on the right of every hole)
-Signage was a little lacking, took some time to find the #6 tee
Other Thoughts: Really nice course that seems to get quite a bit of traffic. It seemed like a few holes really suited my eye while others really did not. Has some long holes (all marked par 3) that will force you to throw some accurate, long shots to get there in 2. Fortunately no one was behind us when we played 15, as other reviewers mentioned the only route goes right past the #14 basket. Definitely stop by if you are in the area.

A tale of two courses

1    10/8/2009   10/11/2009
Review By: odysseus81
Pros: A very interesting and fun front 9 with a couple of great holes and the rest are high quality. Extremely challenging...the course is park like setting throughout with very few elevation changes (with the exception of one hole) but they made the best with what they had. # 5 is a blind shot straight uphill..with water behind it...very cool. Really liked 17 as well...kinda plays like a poor mans island green. Attacking the green on 17 can be high risk/reward. There were NO mosquitos...which was a major change from most of the other areas courses. It was very easy to navigate the course....
Cons: The back 9 really flopped compared to the front 9. Holes became redundant and kinda boring...and much easier. Would much rather it have been the reverse. Quite frankly, I was ready to be done by the time we got to 17 which was the one highlight of the back nine for me.
Other Thoughts: It is definitely worth playing...another nice course in the memphis area, but this is the most redundant course I played. A longer version of the course at Arkabutla Dam.

Fun Course

1    8/1/2009   8/6/2009
Review By: rolltidegopokes
Pros: The front 9...long distance throws and challenging. Water hazards all over the place. 5 is a pretty fun blind shot. Fun for long distances, and then the back 9 is fun for short, accurate throws. ALSO THE LOCALS ARE VERY FRIENDLY! Thanks for the conversation guys.
Cons: Potential flash flooding in the ditches could lose discs. No restrooms, and when I went, the grass was about 16" tall in some places due to excessive raining lately.
Other Thoughts: Southaven is a stopping point in our trip from Alabama to visit family in Missouri and Oklahoma. Even though there is no restroom, there is a great gas station with awesome fountain drinks and clean restrooms less than 1/4 miles away. It's also a great warm up round for our stops later down the road in Tupelo.

Long, man, long.

5+    5/22/2009   7/8/2009
Review By: Thtcat
Pros: Reasonably well maintained. Nice big tee pads. Plenty of parking. There is a nice mix of distances on the course.
Cons: No Bathrooms! No Water Fountain! There are times when the grass gets pretty high before it gets mowed. The course closes down for close to 3 months leading up to Christmas and through the new year for a community light show.
Other Thoughts: The front of the course is better for longer arms, and can be frustrating for newer players. #8 is un-parable for anyone that can't drive 400+ feet. #5 is an interesting blind over-hill drive. The back nine are shorter (which is more fun for me). They play along a creek that fills up during and after rainstorms, so one has to be careful to avoid grip-lock, else they get wet. The course is worth playing to be sure, but not my favorite in the area.

Give it all you got

1    3/28/2009   5/21/2009
Review By: Dillon_Gourley
Pros: Links style type course.

Front 9 is throw as far as you can as opposed to some of the shorter holes on the back 9. Need to be able to throw atleast 350'+ for a good score.

Some of the holes aren't only long, but tricky. The trees on this course come into play to force good shots.

Every long shot is not the same, course is very well layed out making each hole unique, not the typical 400'+ bomb shot over and over.

There is an OB walking track going around a few holes.

However, like I said, you can erase some of those strokes on the back 9.

Concrete tee pads with signs on every hole.

There is a deep creek/stream that comes into play on the majority of the holes. The time I played it it was filled up with fast moving water.

Park is well taken care of and the baskets are in good condition.
Cons: Not sure if there are any bathrooms around. I did not see one when I was there.

No benches, some of the walks are tiring.
Other Thoughts: Played this course during a tournament round. Wind was blowing 40mph with a constant drizzle which might affect my rating unfortunately.

I would recommend stopping by and playing to see what it is like even if you can't throw 400'+. You will enjoy it and respect the design.

Fun course but...

1    4/23/2009   4/23/2009
Review By: tdortch
Pros: This is a fun course to play. It's mostly open, but the trees that are there are used well. There are 200' ace runs and 650' bombers. The blind shot on 5 was fun, as several folks have mentioned, although it made me kind of nervous because I could hear, but not see, little kids playing. Luckily, they were far off at a house. #4 was pretty cool too. Longish downhill to the left thru some trees and over a creek. 7 was a neat hole too - curved to the right with just enough limbs and trees to make you really think about your shot. If I remember correctly, the shorter holes are almost all on the back 9. On to why I only gave it a 2.5...
Cons: To me, it seemed like a different course front to back nine. I got the impression that they had lots of room to work with and was having a great time until I got to 16. In a park that had probably 300 people in it playing soccer, walking their babies, jogging, etc,, you don't need to install a disc golf hole that (1) runs right along the road and (2) has a basket 25' from a main parking area. I had to wait for a team of baby walkers to get close enough to me that I wasn't afraid to kill them, then there were several rows of SUVs parked within easy striking distance. Really poor design there, when there is so much room to work with.
Other Thoughts: Overall, i really liked the course, It looks like a wide open deal, but when you start lining up your shots, you realize that you have to be accurate. Just didn't like #16. I would have given it a 3.5 aside from that one hole. Someone had mentioned the lack of benches too, but there are about 4 or 5 now.

1    9/21/2008   9/24/2008
Review By: bazkitcase5
Pros: Nice tee signs and long concrete tee pads. The course was fairly easy to navigate. The design is also good, with mostly long open shots (lots of shots in the 350-400 range), as well as some short technical shots. There is very little elevation, but plenty of scattered trees and a large ditch that runs through most of the course, giving most holes an extra challenge and rewarding well placed shots.

The half way point of the course does loop back near the front of the course.
Cons: Although I do not know the area, I did not see any bathrooms near or on the course. There are no benches. There were a few holes where I felt like the landscape of the land could have been better suited for better design. On one particular hole, the best shot was directly over the previous fairway/basket. I'm not really sure what they were thinking there, considering the rest of the course is spaced out nicely.
Other Thoughts: Overall, I really liked the course. There were some really great pro level holes, with decent variety, and a couple of pro par 4 shots that are listed as par 3. Unfortunately, I left feeling like something was missing from the overall design of the course. With a little more thought, I believe this could be an awesome course. It is a fairly new course from what I understand and the club seems to be growing rapidly, so I look for some positive changes in the near future.

I like it....

5+    8/29/2008   9/4/2008
Review By: mcdavis17
This review was updated on 9/24/2008
Pros: As others have said, well-thought out and laid-out design. It flows with the landscape very well and is a logical course to follow. I would consider 5 (blind shot over hill) a signature hole for the course. Some holes are straight-forward in their approach, and others offer numerous risk-reward scenarios, especially as you play the course more and start to see some varying options.
Cons: Grass is usually kept well-mowed, but sometimes it seems to rain right after a mowing, so the grass can grow pretty quick and get high before the next scheduled mowing.

There are also some trees I have personal cons with....

It would also be nice to see more trash receptacles and benches installed around the course.
Other Thoughts: This is my home course. Yes, some of the holes on the front 9 are LONG. However, I still play them as a 3. Will I ever par # 4 or # 8? I like to think so....

On the back 9, there are some definite birdie and ace opportunities.

EDIT -- Several trees have fallen since I posted my review, and several more are currently marked for removal before they fall as well. This is mainly on the back 9 around the ditch, but their removal should offer some interesting alternate routes.