Greer, SC
Century Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #18 (Taken 9/2009)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Sunday Doubles!

2-4    8/19/2018   8/20/2018
Review By: MadGame32
Pros: -Good tee boxes
-Good goals
-Most tees had signs that were great.
-Good use of trees to shape shots.
Cons: -Not much length
-Not all tee signs were in place
Other Thoughts: I am a little torn on Century Park DGC. I played it for the first time this weekend, and it checks a lot of boxes for what a really good disc golf course should be. There are plenty of trees that are used to force the shaping of shots. The tee boxes are great. The flow seemed pretty good. Most of the tee boxes had signs, but a handful were no longer available.

I guess the main thing I miss on this course was length. There were only 1 or 2 holes that called for distance drives. I am more accustomed to having to shape long distance shots, so that may be what I find lacking about this course. That being said, I really did like it, and I see it as being the best option I have seen in the area so far to get a quality round of disc golf in the afternoon after work. I will definitely be playing here again.

Very fun and challenging course

1    1/6/2018   2/1/2018
Review By: Kcjohnson87
Pros: Clean course with long, concrete tee pads. 18 holes with good amount of variety.
Cons: Basket locations have never changed. Wooden stairs in creek at hole 11 are is desperate need of repair and have bolts sticking out them.
Other Thoughts: This is a very good course overall and not too frustrating for new players.

Fragile leaves hit the ground

1    11/26/2017   11/26/2017
Review By: Bennybennybenny
Pros: -Century is a good course. The park seems to be often crowded on weekends because I played on a Sunday afternoon. There were tons of locals playing the course, so that shows that it is a good, fair course.

-The baskets are blue. A different color always appeals to me, don't know why it just does. The baskets are disc catchers and catch well. There is a practice basket in between holes 1 and 9.

-Shows some promise on the front nine with a few good holes. Most of them are pretty short. I love the back nine here. It's still pretty easy to me, but quite pleasing with some unique holes around a creek. I love hole 12. It's a long significant downhill tunnel shot, it has to be more than what the signage says (it's probably 350'). What's really cool is that the ball field is to the right, so it's fun to chuck a hyzer right to left and try to get it down there without clearing the tunnel. All around great hole. But my favorite hole was...........

-#14. This was my favorite hole. The signage says it's a par 4, but it's a 3. It's 305' and straight, but the creek is in play completely so you don't want to go left. An interesting asset to this hole is the fact that you see a small pond made from the creek and a tunnel past the basket. There's graffiti on the inside of the tunnel. I thought it looked really cool since it was on the inside of the tunnel, and not on the course. The hole was just very unique I thought.

-Nice hole diagrams and tee signs. The tee-pads were nice too. Course is easy to navigate. You'll see the next tee sign once you are done with each hole.

-All fairways are very well defined, so the course isn't hard. Every hole is a par 3 in my book, because they are all reachable. But since this is more of a rec/intermediate course, I think the par on the tee signs is accurate for beginners.
Cons: -It's in a rougher part of town. I'm totally fine with that, but not everyone is. The first three holes are beside an apartment complex, and there was field work being done when I played.

-I personally do not think that the front nine is at its optimum level. The first hole is awfully close to the parking lot, and even offers an anhyzer throw over it. The second hole is a boring flick shot. Hole three is a good 410' foot driver throw, but holes four and five are just kinda boring. Especially #4. It's a dinker that you'd see on a school course. Once you play #6, you see promise as that is a fun hole. But holes #7 and #8 are back to bland and boring. Open ace runs that have no excitement.

-When I played, it was extremely leafy on most holes. If your disc gets a slide, it very well might go under a bunch of leaves. A local actually helped me find my truth on #6 when I couldn't see it in the leaves. Awesome guy.

-A local was playing behind me on #17, and he wen't long. On the busy road that is. The fence is like 20' past the basket. I almost ace this, and go right through a slot in the fence and can't tell if I'm in bounds or not. Anyway, this hole has you throwing toward the road with cars going 45 mph. Loved the hole itself though in all fairness.
Other Thoughts: -Century is a good course. A few really great holes here that I thoroughly enjoyed. Nothing was amazing in my opinion, but that doesn't mean you'll think the same as I do. You might think this course is incredible! Holes 12, 14, 15 and 16 were all really fun holes. They are mostly the reason why I love the back nine. With all holes being par 3s, it does try to change the tone a bit. For instance, #15 is a 387' bomb with the basket on the left side of a hill, and #16 is a tough downhill ace run (175') over a creek with many trees to avoid. A two can turn into a four in an instant on some short holes, but those are always fun holes to enjoy.

-This is one of those courses where pros can kick back and have fun working on their short game and where newcomers can get interested. This course isn't as good as Pipeline or Tyger River overall, but the worst holes here are better than the worst holes at Tyger and Pipeline. There isn't a "bad" hole at Century. Most starters will love the holes that I thought were a bit bland. Anyways, come on out.

1    12/29/2016   12/30/2016
Review By: EROPPER
Pros: Nice Blue rimmed Discatcher Baskets
The back 9 is scenic and interesting with a small river in play
The grass/fairways were nice on the back 9

The signage seemed decent
Cons: Extremely muddy with erosion problems on the front 9

Rather large construction project going on next door, contributes to the erosion problem

basket #2 is directly against a construction fence

Front 9 seems like a cluster of mud/dirt- boring layout

Other Thoughts: maintenance on this course didn't seem like a priority- maybe because it's winter and there is a messy construction project going on directly next to the course

Won't be going back anytime soon- Pipeline and Tyger River are far superior courses in the area- Even Timmons park is better

1    4/1/2016   4/29/2016
Review By: bjreagh
Pros: Century Park features an 18-hole course that I would describe as city park style, but a really good one as it is not super easy or boring. It is set on a generous portion of land that is pretty much used only for disc golf. I liked that it was not crammed into a small area, and when you are finished you feel like you saw a lot of different scenery.

Surprisingly, there is quite of bit of variety here for a parks course as I felt each hole was different than the rest. Most of the obstacles are throwing around trees. Distance control is critical if you want to get some birdies and score low. Though mostly flat, there is some elevation used. No hole is super long, but there is good variation in distance from hole to hole and overall. Most of the holes have plenty of options of how to attack the basket allowing for creativity and different shot styles to be utilized. There are many holes that play along some creeks- including a pretty large creek on holes #14 and #16, and these holes provide good risk/reward of getting close to the basket vs ending up in the water.

The grassier fairways were mowed, and unless you land in a deep part of the creek, you are likely not losing any discs here with little to no tall rough or undergrowth.

Navigation was a breeze first time here without a map. Large parking area and obvious kiosk and entryway to the course area that proves the city and the park are supportive of disc golf. If needed you come back near the parking lot after 8 holes. Nice concrete tees. Tee signs are small but effective. The blue Discatchers work good here not being in a thick woods course so they are easy to see, and I like to see baskets that aren't yellow every now and then.
Cons: This course has a lot of dirt fairways (rather than grass) for being a non-forest area, which means it will be muddy after a rain, and there are several areas that seem to stay pretty soggy near the creeks and drainage areas.

Though flow is generally good and the course uses a lot of land, there are a couple of longer walks: #13 to #14 around to the other side of the creek is necessary because they are great holes, but a closer bridge would be better (maybe one got washed out recently?) #18 does not end right at the parking, but ends around the playground area.

#12 especially, but also #13, has the possibility of landing on the baseball fields. Just because there is a mando and o.b. doesn't mean people are going to throw perfect shots. So these holes could be tricky during games and potentially a safety hazard- I do believe this hole had a 2nd tee, so I would probably not play #12 from the long/elevated tee if there was a game going on.

For the most part other park activities do not interfere. But if busy and crowded you may have to deal with walkers, cars on the park road around 17 and 18, kids on playgrounds, and stuff like that.

Nothing is really epic or super special about this course, it is just a nice standard course that is playable by all skill levels.

For some this might be a con, there is a chance of losing discs on the holes around the big creek when the water is high.
Other Thoughts: I found this course really fun and relaxing. I would recommend this course to just about anybody. If you can only play 1 or 2 courses in this area than skip this one in favor of Grand Central, Tyger, or Pipeline, but definitely not a waste if you have time. I would play here again if in the area. It was actually a nice change of pace from some of the tougher courses I played that week.

It seems #16 is in a different spot now than the pics on DGCR. There was a big wooden bridge between the tee and basket. The hole still plays over the creek. Maybe the bridge is new or the hole is new to replace the one from 13-14? No biggie, still a good hole, it just didn't look like the picture here.

Excellent Course

1    8/18/2015   8/20/2015
Review By: trotline32
Pros: Length of Course
Variety of Holes
Concrete Tee Boxes
Cons: It gets a little muddy in places when wet
No bridge from the basket of 13 to the tee at 14.
Other Thoughts: This is an excellent course! Wonderful layout with plenty of variety. You don't have to have a strong arm with a ton of distance for this course. This is a very forgiving course as well. There are plenty of trees but no overly thick brush to deal with if you land off the fairway. There are a few holes that are close to each other so it could get a little cramped if it's crowded. Also, when we played it was raining and there were several places that became slick. Nothing a little sand or mulch couldn't fix. I'd like to see a bridge added at the basket of 13. As it stands you either have to rock hop across a shallow creek or walk down to the 16th hold a use that bridge to cross over. Overall this is a wonderful course to play and I will visit it often.

Fun Park Style Course

5+    2/7/2015   6/30/2015
Review By: Streetcar
Pros:
1. Well laid out. Nice use of available space around a municipal park and ball fields.
2. Good variety of holes.
3. Technical game emphasized over long game.
4. Great place to walk.
5. Spacious, concrete tee pads with tee signs and good navigation markers.
6. Kept up reasonably well.
Cons:
1. Space required puts players on No. 2 and No. 7 tee within the hyzer throwing line on No. 1. Some tree cover is available.
2. No. 8 is not much of a hole, just kinda connects 7 (which is a great hole) to No. 9 tee.
3. Must share the park with non players who will spill over into the course just to take a stroll, seemingly oblivious to flying discs.
4. This course can get very crowded at times.
5. One bridge was out in February between 13 and 14.
Other Thoughts: Century was the second course I played when I first started, so it is somewhat of a sentimental favorite of mine. My first impressions have not changed. It is a great layout, a reasonably good test of skill and sufficiently challenging for beginners and intermediates alike. Pros will not find much challenge here, but for the rest of us.....The creek holes (13, 14, and 16) make use of the creek hazard very well. I would say 16, though an approach putter throw, is the signature hole at Century. I am always tempted to make the ace and birdie run, but the shot has to be accurate. Easy par playing safe or risky birdie, take your pick. As in life, it's not so much the situation, but the decision that adds to the level of interest.

Very nice course.

1    5/15/2015   5/19/2015
Review By: Rappel_Welch
Pros: Well maintained trails, tees, and signage. The course is well-shaded for the most part with only a few holes in the open. The course was clean with very little litter.
Other Thoughts: I truly enjoyed this course and the area. It is wel-maintained, which makes playing a pleasure.

Moved to my favorites!

2-4    2/28/2015   3/1/2015
Review By: lexxerd
Pros: Took a four day trip to Greenville to check out all the disc golf courses in the area with my girl friend. Out of 6 courses we got to play, we just kept coming back to Century Park every day for our 2nd round of the day.

The course has nice sized concrete tee-pads, good signage, trash cans and benches at most holes, and the park was very clean and well broken in. The course is packed into a small area but plays very smoothly and has many different types of shots. There are a few par fours on the course where you can really launch your discs and there are many tricky shots around the trees. The front nine only has a very small creek that runs through the course and is almost not worth mentioning. The back nine has a larger creek near by, but not in play. Holes twelve, thirteen, and fourteen are near the larger creek but play around it. Hole four and sixteen were two of my favorites holes to play, and I almost got an ace on both! There is an active train track near by which adds to the very cool scenery of Century Park. There are bathrooms and water fountains by the playground and to the right of the parking lot. Century Park has made it into my favorite courses to play and I will be revisiting soon to attempt to beat my own score!
Cons: Everyone always finds something to put in the Cons section, but I really can not think of anything I disliked about this course.
Other Thoughts: In wet conditions, the course can be a little muddy, but it is manageable and not swampy.

Fun course

1    1/31/2012   1/31/2014
Review By: BobbyCorn
Pros: It has been a while since I have played this course and realized I never reviewed it, forgive me for not being on point.

This course is in a good area, has concrete pads and easy to see baskets. This course is well thought out and a good usage of the land available. I dont recall a hole I did not think was a good hole or invalid. Good signage and a good course flow overall.

I'm from out of town and I played with some locals and they were great guys and very helpful.
Cons: A few hole seems squished in and played a long ball fields, I remember a long downhill shot with a mando on a light pole to keep players from throwing over the ball field, since I'm from out of town I bombed a big hyzer for fun, but a few holes were close to ball fields.
Other Thoughts: Fun course, good locals, good pads and signage what else do you need???

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5