North Bend, WA
South Fork DGC Share
Uploaded By: Getty
Basket 14

Come for the rollers and the pleasant grounds

2-4    10/6/2019   10/8/2019
Review By: webbwebbwebb
Pros:
- Gorgeous, spacious property with levels of maintenance every other course should envy. Beautifully kept short grass (very relevant to my next point on rollers). Bathrooms are also on premises leftover from the era of the ball golf course (must admit I haven't been inside them yet).

- Roller central! You will not find a course more friendly to rollers of all shapes and sizes. The grass is incredible and apparently constantly maintained, and there is nothing in the way anywhere on the course to disrupt your rollers. Even the limited foliage is trimmed very carefully at the ground level. Some of the holes make the strongest case for roller from the teepad that I've experienced (looking at you, hole #2).

- A few holes offer chances to throw far (#2, #13, #18).
Cons:
- Zero elevation change, the entire property is perfectly flat.

- Lack of technical shots and technical greens, not much to be done here with the vast majority of the foliage being rows of neatly manicured trees. Most holes still find ways to generally shape lines to the basket, but the windows and range of available angles are very wide. For me, the bigger gripe with this comes when there aren't any places where bad shots will be penalized scoring-wise AND the up shots are always just a question of distance. To bogey on this course, you will have to botch a wide open shot and/or miss a close putt. The course design uses every element available to prevent the pin positions from being out in the wide open, but the only times I've had to attempt a putt longer than 11ft (udisc enhanced scorekeeping :] ) were the result of approaching the basket from more than 250ft away.

- No multi-shot holes (par 4s), this surprised me about the layout, because the park looks like it has the room (especially on the front 9) to have some longer holes. Some of the Par3s (#13 & #18) are elite-level distance that can feel like multishot holes for lower arm speeds.
Concrete tees have not been poured yet, and until they are, the layout's teepads are mostly ripped up short grass (read: muddy loose soil) so bear that in mind until the concrete arrives.

If You Like Playing On A Lovely, Manicured, Well Maintained Golf Course?

1    9/16/2019   9/16/2019
This review was updated on 9/26/2019
Pros: If you like playing on a lovely, manicured, well maintained golf course, then this is a course for you. The Cascade Golf course in North Bend ( It's just one minute off the I-90 freeway) closed down around January 2019. The forward thinking council members from the city of North Bend quickly passed a bond and bought the wonderful property for a cool million dollars. They seem to have a wonderful, amiable working relationship with designer Getty, seemingly giving him carte blanche control to design a top notch course. There is a caretaker on the grounds who mows one fairway everyday.

So the course is in pristine golf course condition. The Disccatcher baskets are set. The tees are currently marked by ribbons but concrete pads and signs are forthcoming. With no golfers to worry about, designer Getty, is able to cross fairways to design the most interesting and challenging layout. He's still working on the multiple tee design. The course he and I played is probably recreation difficult but with the multiple tees he has planned, I see it playing from beginner friendly up to advanced level. It will never be as challenging as Shelton Springs or Sea Tac but it will be so much prettier and inviting for all. The baskets are set in the most difficult positions Getty could find but it's still fairly open. Mature Douglas Fir and Maple trees abound here. Rollers are and will remain an important skill you'll need to score well here.

There are restrooms on the property. The city has plans for a spray park as well as a playground but I don't envision those affecting the course as well. There is plenty of space for all.

Getty is working hard on his design here to avoid the wide open expansive feel that most of our courses which have been added to ball golf courses have. The good news is there will be no green fees here while the bad news is you won't be able to rent a cart. I guess you could trailer your own cart in.
Cons: The absence of any hills limits what Getty can do.

There is one lake which could possibly come into play on # 10 but no other water.

It will be a no risk type course. There is no nasty rough, no fence you might sail over, no stagnant, brackish water to contend with. Other than missing a Mando and adding a couple strokes to your score, South Fork shouldn't be a stressful experience.

The course might still be a little too open for some player's tastes.

I believe some players might also feel that rollers come into play a bit too much.

Other Thoughts: While South Fork DGC is impeccably maintained and manicured, and very lovely indeed, without any hilly or mountainous terrain, it is missing the big wow, big air downhill factor that many of us love on our courses. But I still believe, when finished, it will be in the top dozen of courses in Washington.

I think I was set to give South Fork a 4.0 but after carefully considering the flatness and relatively tame nature of the course, I'm going with a 3.5. It is still a must play in Washington state.

My new home park

5+    9/4/2019   9/12/2019
Review By: mtsi
Pros: Brand new course, with fun basket placements. I like some of the strategies required to get around obstacles. Clearly, the designer of the course wanted to make it "just" frustrating enough. For a newer player, like myself, the course is just difficult enough to challenge me, while remaining accessible. There aren't really any tunnel shots, so that might not be a pro for the more established players out there.
Cons: Because it's new, the course has been overrun in the last few weeks. I'm sure that will slow down, but it's been a frustrating bear on the weekends. Also, I wish there were a few longer holes, where you had to really unleash to get there in 2, let alone 3. I'm not an old pro, but every hole is quite easy to get to in 2. If you have accuracy, every hole is a potential birdie, especially the "lake" holes.
Other Thoughts: I've found rollers get you a lot of coverage on this course. In fact, I've never played so many holes where rollers were my first choice. The canopy is low and as mentioned before, there are many trees directly in line with the access to the baskets. All in all, a very satisfying course, and one I'll play every week, if possible.

Reviews temporarily disabled for this course!