Palmyra, VA
Hole #9 Mid-Fairway

A Pleasant walk in the Grove

5+    5/13/2020   5/21/2020
Review By: Olorin
Pros:
+SERENITY: Fluvanna county is a rural area, so the course is quite serene. As soon as you get into the woods, starting on hole 2, you are out in soul refreshing nature, and you feel secluded and away from everything.

+BEAUTY: there is an inherent aesthetic beauty to the woods and land that I find pleasant and refreshing. I especially like the rock and boulder formations on holes 6 and 10.

+There is an active maintenance team that has been keeping the course in immaculate condition! When the leaves fell last fall, they were quickly blown off every fairway and path. I think this was largely the work of one dedicated guy out with his leaf blower!

Design
+FAIRWAY SHAPE VARIETY- There are very solid bones in place with nice fairway shape variety! 7 Left/ 3 Right/ 6 Straight/ 2 S shape.

+All fairways are well cleared and fair.

+ELEVATION VARIETY: The ideal mix of 9 up and 9 down. Most elevation changes are moderate.

+TERRAIN VARIETY: predominantly wooded with some more open holes. 13 Woods/ 5 Mixed. They vary in openness from the mostly open hole 1 to the tight tree corridor on hole 16, to the more open hole 18 bordered by thick trees, thorns, and rough. The other holes are on a spectrum of woods shots (2-11, 15-16) and more open with mowed grass surrounded by trees and rough (12-14, 17-18)

+NICE GREENS: especially on the woods holes. My favorite green is hole 5 where the basket is surrounded by trees. I also like the approach into basket 10 with the rocks and small boulders.

Amenities
+BENCHES- There are already a few benches (on 1, 4, 7), which is nice on such a new course.
Cons:
Since this is a new course you need to give it some grace. There is still work to be done, and there have been course work days. Since the course is still in progress, there are undoubtedly plans to work on many of the following areas...

Design
-BLIND BASKETS: 8 holes have baskets that are not visible from the tee (1, 6, 9, 10, 13, 15, 17, 18) so they require some scouting up the fairway. That makes these holes low on being First-Time-Friendly (FTF).

Basics
-NAVIGATION is the most outstanding difficulty, so this is one of the biggest challenges for first timers (low FTF rating here). Since there are many hiking trails that cross there is great potential for confusion because at intersections you don't know whether to turn or continue going straight. This may change one day with next tee arrows. [I have posted navigation notes on the Wall and in the Course Description.]

-ROUGH, especially THORNS. On some holes you do not want to go off the fairway because you will land in thick thorns! Hole 13 has many thick thorns on the right and left where your drive could land, and hole 18 has thorn patches for short drives and closer to the basket. Hole 1 has a thorn patch too, on the approach on the right side. I would highly recommend only playing in long pants, and make sure to stay on the fairway. Many thorns have already been cleared out, so I am hopeful that ongoing course work will get rid of even more.

-TEES are currently only wood frames filled with fine gravel. They are wide enough and long enough, so they work fine for now, but over time they may get uneven. They also may be improved in the future.

Amenities
-Restrooms are minimal. There is a pit toilet fairly close to the course, near the playground. This is a minor factor to me.

Items to work on:
-HOLE LENGTHS: 8 holes still needs lengths measured and marked on the tees (1, 4, 10, 11, 13, 15, 17, 18). I'm confident that this will be completed before long.

-TEE SIGNS: as of May 2020 there are no signs, but they will most likely be added in the future. Right now the course is still in it's initial settling in period.

-NAVIGATION AIDS: a COURSE MAP would help tremendously, and Next tee signs would be a great help.
Course Level = White (most suited for Intermediate players rated 875-925)

You be the judge-

My FAVORITE HOLE is 16. Even though it is only 160 ft, and one of the shortest holes on the course, it also has the tightest fairway in a narrow tree lined corridor. It is easy to kick off a tree into trouble, so it still takes great finesse and a well-executed drive to get to the basket. I also enjoy hole 5, a slightly downhill woods shot. Hole 18 is a nice challenging finishing hole; you must keep it in the more open fairway. It is a short par 4, really a tweener, but you have to execute two exceptional shots to get a birdie 3.

CEDAR TREES: there are quite a few disc eating cedar trees scattered around. They are very scenic obstacles, but it is easy for discs to get stuck in them as well. Holes 1, 13, and 18 have quite a few.

MUD: the dirt walking paths can get muddy and slippery after rains, so watch your step. The trail to hole 10 and then tee 10 are on low spots that collect water.

WIND frequently blows very strong, so it can be a factor. Wind is strongest on hole 1 because it is the most open, and it is usually a head wind in your face on an uphill drive. Wind also comes into play on all of the more open holes such as 13-14 and 17-18.

WATER: there are no permanent water hazards; there are only dry creek beds for seasonal storm runoff.

My rating is currently slightly inflated because I gave the course lots of grace for what it will become. I assume that one day there will be tee signs and with them hole lengths for every hole. My rating is actually 6.8 out of 10, so it is currently just short of a 7, or a 3.5 on DGCR. I also expect to increase my rating when the resources are there to add some more of the Basics.

DISClaimer- this is my new home course, but I am trying to be objective and overcome home-boy bias. The course has great terrain, nice elevation variety, and a solid challenging design. I really enjoy the course, so I am thankful to the designers and the crew who did all the work to install and keep it maintained! Even though the course is kind of out in the country, it is well worth making a trip to play. If you can make the time to play Walnut Creek on the same day that is a very satisfying combination

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A note about my rating: My rating is a subjective measure of my enjoyment of the course, on the day I played it, and it is NOT intended to be a measure of the quality of the course. My Enjoyment Ratings are given "on the curve" in relation to all other courses I've played.

Look in the "Links/Files" section for my files with Hole-by-hole ratings and more detailed Overall review notes. You can also read more of my review philosophy and rating notes at Disc Golf Course Reviews
----------
I'm always trying to improve my reviews, so if you mark this review unhelpful or if you find a mistake, please send me a Personal Message here on DGCR to tell me what is wrong with it. I'll be grateful for the feedback.

Nice challenge

5+    3/2/2020   3/2/2020
Review By: hurler23
Pros: Relatively new course so not much traffic. Many narrow lanes that require accurate throws. Nearly all holes are wooded. No significant water hazards so much less chance of losing a disc.
Cons: Signage is lacking. Lots of thick rough including brambles and cedar trees eager to eat a disc. Can be very muddy along paths.
Other Thoughts: Come and play this course!
This course has great potential. The narrow lanes demand accuracy and the more open holes pit the player against the wind. Not too many gimmes here. Shot shaping is key to many of the wooded holes with limited alternate throw lanes.
This is a really nice park and the trails are shared by hikers, horses and bikes though the course is pretty much relegated for golf. The county parks and rec has done a great job clearing the course and maintaining it. I am certain that in the near future there will be top notch signage.

Lots of Potential

2-4    2/15/2020   2/17/2020
Review By: boyreplaced
Pros: Course is a lot of fun, majority of holes are heavily wooded making this short course still fairly challenging. I say short course because most of the holes are 220-250 ft long, but there is a lot of walking in between, I consider this a pro because it provides some exercise. Unlike some other courses there doesn't seem to be a lot of dog-walkers, so dog droppings don't seem to be a problem. There are walking, riding and biking trails connected though, so be aware during warmer months.
Cons: Course is very poorly marked. It took us a long time to find the course itself as it is part of a larger park. Throughout the course some of the holes had a plaque on the tee to indicate the hole number and length, but the majority did not, and arrows to next hole did not exist at all.

This can be a pro for newer or more casual players, but there is no water hazards to speak of.
Other Thoughts: This course needs to add plaques to each hole (preferably with some detail on the layout of each hole) and signs to the next hole and you have yourself a great course. Its new and they just added the back nine, so I'm sure these improvements won't be far off.

If you struggled to find the course like we did, go to the main park (not the dog park), proceed toward the main brick building, but turn right before you get there, go down past the "end of state maintenance" sign, past the playground and you'll see the first tee down below what I believe is a ball field. First hole is fairly long compared to the rest, and doglegs to the right at the top of the hill, after that good luck!