Cumberland, MD
Central Assembly of God DGC Share
Uploaded By: Jimb Hole #7 (Taken 11/2019)
Hole #7 White Tee

1st Course in Allegany County, MD

5+    1/13/2020   1/19/2020
Review By: Jimb
This review was updated on 1/31/2020
Pros: Less than a 5 minute drive off of I68 in Cumberland, MD. Right across the street from Sheetz with gas and food. Within a 5 minute drive from many other places to eat, shop, sight see, etc., in historic, downtown, Cumberland. About a 15 minute drive to an excellent 18 hole course at Covenant Village.

The course starts close to the parking lot. Parking to the right of the three crosses (in-between the crosses and the gym) and walking up towards the crosses from that side is the easiest way to access hole #1. Basket #9 is just a short walk from the parking lot.

Using the map, and the directional "next tee" tape on the basket rungs, the course is pretty easy to navigate, even with the tee markers being at ground level. The tee markers show the hole #, length, and par. Depending on your level of experience, this can be a very quick play. I can finish 9 in about 20-25 minutes, and I don't move that fast any more. The course basically moves up the hill and into the woods, with the last couple of holes playing onto and across the sports field.

If you are new or newish to the sport, the course should play well for you. The holes are mostly short, especially from the red tees, with some distance and challenge added by the white tees. The course makes good use of the hillside as there are uphill, downhill, flat, and across the valley throws. The course is mostly open, with the scattered trees coming into play on most holes. #6 is the only truly wooded hole on the course.

Due to the open nature of the course, from the reds, you can pretty much pick a line and throw whatever you want on almost every hole... RHBH, RHFH, hyzer, anhyzer, etc. However you want to shape the shot is up to you. The white tees require a bit more length off of the tee and more accuracy. Most holes still give options off of the tee from the whites.
Cons: The fact that the course is designed for new and improving players could be a con if you require a difficult, long, course to have fun.

The natural tees can be soft and muddy when the ground is wet. The tee markers are at ground level and can be hard to find if you don't pay attention to the directional tape on the baskets and to the map. The baskets are InSteps, with an added inner set of chains. The tees, tee markers, and baskets all serve the purpose, but aren't special in any way. Being on church/school properly limits the course availability/hours of operation.

When you finish #9, be careful, as you do have to cross the fairways of #3-4 on the short walk back to the parking lot.
Other Thoughts: Hi, I'm Jimb, the course designer. I received approval to install the course at my church/children's school, and have done so over the last several months. Other than our maintenance staff mowing the grass, I am basically responsible for the course.

The course was installed for the school, church, and local community to use. I designed it to introduce new players to the game and to serve to allow players some room for growth and improvement. Anyone is welcome, though, for sure, and I've already had the opportunity to meet three players from outside of our immediate area on the course. I think that the Red and White labels on the tees should be pretty indicative of the course difficulty. It would probably fall into the easier range for both red and white skill levels. The school gym class has already used the course and I introduced disc golf to the church youth group, too.

I was pleased to see that mstevens06 reviewed the course before I did. It made me feel good to know that the design and work put into the course were paying off. She is a newer player and it's great to know that she had a good time on the course. This is really what I was hoping to achieve.

If you come to Central as an experienced player, expecting a super challenging course, you will probably be disappointed. If you want to play a quick 9, and have some fun, though, hopefully you will.

Finally... I wanted to explain my 2 rating. I have been playing over a dozen years and have played over 100 courses in 20 states. I'm trying to look at the course as if I found it on DGCR, and not designed/installed it. I think that I would have been glad that I played it as long as my expectations were reasonable. Yes, I'd love to give it a 3 or 4. But compared to other courses, based upon my experience, it wouldn't be right, or serve any productive purpose, for me to do so.

Again, for a newer player, I would hope that it would prove quite fun. I learned to play on a relatively short course like this (Shawnee SP) myself, and loved it. It still holds a special place in my memories. Hopefully, someone else will be able to look back on Central fondly like that.

If you have any questions, please feel free to send me PM here on DGCR, or to post on the courses feed. (I do have a longer, harder, layout in the works. I don't want to put it up on the site yet, but would be glad to give out details if interested.)

Thanks for reading and be blessed. Jim

Great beginner course!

1    1/11/2020   1/11/2020
Review By: mstevens06
Pros: Great for beginners! Mostly open course but has a couple holes that play in the woods to add a little difficulty. Has some good terrain differences. Something a little different for every hole but not too challenging. Nice confidence builder. Will definitely be back!
Cons: Flat tee markers were hard to find in some places but I had a great guide (Jim who designed the course)! Once you've played a round you'll get the hang of the layout.
Other Thoughts: Happy to have a local course (about 20 min from where I live). Nice place for a quick 9 holes!