Layout Extinct

Clute, TX
Clute Park - Old Layout Share
Uploaded By: ERicJ Hole #8 (Taken 8/2009)

If it was fixed up, it would be so fun !

2-4    7/24/2019   7/24/2019
Review By: Chukster
Pros: This is a short coarse that is fun to play and practice your midrange or putting .you could play the whole thing in 20 minutes just to keep your skills in check. A great coarse if your in a hurry. Hard to lose a disc.
Cons: No concrete tees, basket numbers are hard to find. It isn't maintained very well. If it were, it would be a super fun coarse.
Other Thoughts: It doesn't seem like it would break the municipal budget to have markers and signs to make this easier to play.

Old school 20+ year old course

1    3/13/2018   3/16/2018
Review By: Pizza God
Pros: Using a map, easy to find tee's
Old school Disc Catchers, single chain variety still catch good but look horrible.
Great course to bring the family
Cons: grass tee pads
signs are in bad shape, but all the polls are still there.
Not much distance for a seasoned player
Other Thoughts: This is what you would consider a 90's course, back when a 300+ hole was a rarity.

Nice park, HUGE tree's with disc golf tucked back out of the way of everything else. Park does have a restroom.

not quite a pitch and putt, but not too long so bringing out the family or new players to this course is a positive. The course does make you throw more than just 9 hyzer shots.

Would I play here again?

no, but not because the course isn't any good, but because it is not quite challenging enough to drive out of the way. You have much more challenging course not to far way at the Church of the Nazarene.

Another Niner in a park

1    10/2/2013   10/9/2013
Review By: uwdiscgolf
Pros: The Pros:

1. Signage and tee signs.

2. Baskets are in good shape.

3. Fairly easy to navigate.
Cons: The Cons:

1. The holes are basically all the same.

2. Hole 3's basket is missing...

3. only one hole is over 250 ft. This doesnt really constitute a down grade since its a nice thing for beginners, but considering that if you are not form the Clute/ Lake Jackson area, this course is nothing special.

4. This course is a breeding ground for mosquitoes. Park is not always well kept. Grass is getting long.
Other Thoughts: Clute is nothing more than a warm up to Dunbar. Clute is for beginners period. Basically hyzers and anhyzers are all you need. Natural tee pads and sigange at each hole are about all i can this course has going for it. I really wish i could say more but leave the dirvers in the car and take only midrange discs and putters.

2-4    6/24/2013   7/8/2013
Review By: c_a_miller
Pros: The course is in a small town and it is very easy to find. All tee posts are present and have the distances marked that are fairly accurate.

The baskets are old but in fine shape. The course is a finesse course that weaves in and out the big trees that are throughout the course. With the trees the course is shady and is a huge benefit in the hot summers that Texas is known for.The course is good for newer players which in my opinion is good for a town this size to introduce people to the sport. The course is also small and short enough that it does not interfere with other park go-ers or takes up substantial space.
Cons: The course is very short and it can feel repetitive quickly.
If you are not careful you can lose your discs on holes 5-6 that play parallel to people's yards. The area can feel unsafe with individuals walking around and being in a more run down part of town. An errant shot also could hit an unsuspecting kid on the playground or a jogger on the trail or exercise machines that are near hole 2.
Other Thoughts: I was impressed by this course because I was not expecting much. Obviously, there are more challenges elsewhere but this course can be tough with the numerous trees.
The course will test your mid range game and all that is needed is a mid range and a putter which is what I brought.

Playing this course along with Dunbar Park a few miles away is a good, fun and relaxing day of golf with no long holes or hazards to contend with.

It's Okay...

1    4/28/2013   4/28/2013
Review By: KimD
Pros: * Yellow bands on the baskets.
* Nice fitness park
* Tees/Signs for each hole
* Plenty of Trash Cans
Cons: * Short cramped course
* The order of the holes is a little confusing
* Short shots, lots of trees
* Too many mosquitoes
Other Thoughts: Nice park with a track, playground and fitness tips spread around. There are quite a few trashcans and a gazebo in the middle. The course is short and cramped, and a little confusing to follow. Most of the holes are short and surrounded by trees.
The park is surrounded by a neighborhood, and there are quite a few barking dogs.

Joran Vander Clute

1    1/11/2011   2/7/2011
Pros: 1) Nice clean park in a small clean little town. There look to be all sorts of activities within this park but the beautiful thing is that the disc golf is fairly isolated from all other activities. Pavilions, palygrounds, horseshoes, Bball, etc.

2) Bathrooms available near the parking lot and close to the start and finish of this 9 hole course.

3) Nice grove of old trees establishes the challenge on this course. They force you to create shots that are shaped both directions.

4) #'s are on the back of the tee signs help you to navigate the course.

5) Tee signs are very simple with the Hole # distance and the par, normally a map is appreciated but this course is short enough it is easy enough to see where you are supposed to be throwing.

6) Garbage cans are available along the path that runs along the outside of the disc golf course.

7) There is nice turf on this course, it seems to be in good condition which would lead me to believe this course is well maintained and/or not used frequently.

8) Discatcher baskets. I wrote down nice new discatcher on my sheet but for the life of me I cannot remember if it was just a couple baskets or if the whole course had been replaced, but the only picture I can see shows an older beat up basket.

9) Very beginner friendly but also presents them with a challenge, something I think is underused when designing beginner friendly courses. Too many course are just set out in the wide open and are boring. How do we expect beginners to want to come back when they are not challenged much at all.
Cons: 1) Small short course will not present a ton of challenge to average and above players.

2) This course is completely flat and has no elevation changes to add any interest to these holes.

3) Grafitti is visible on many of the signs and a few of the baskets also.

4) Fenceline should be considered OB and that might be a little rough because it is fairly close to the fairways and on the side that beginners will most often miss. This could lead to lost discs in the neighbors yard, and some of those places would definitely keep me from going near them to try and retrieve my discs.

5) Grass/dirt tees are never a positive. These are somewhat worn out and compacted, and I am sure they would be slick and dangerous after a rain or on a dewy morning.

6) No benches available and no garbage cans immediately on course would probably lead to litter being a problem.
Other Thoughts: This was a decent little course for my wife and I to enjoy together. It was short enough for her to not get frustrated and short enough to give me some fun runs at the baskets. There are plenty of trees to create some shot shaping and you can sometimes choose your route, sometimes the trees dictate the type of shot needed which I always like to see on a course. i would be back if I ever visit south texas again and I know I can beat the -2 I shot.

Better Bring Bug Spray!

1    7/24/2010   9/20/2010
Review By: tsupak
Pros: Nice trees... keeps the workout a challenge.
Cons: MOSQUITOES are terrible! Better bring your Off!

I really dont care for the grafetti on the markers, they could use some polishing up, but its an okay course.

Cramped - Yet Still Good Fun.

1    6/25/2010   6/26/2010
Review By: srm_520
Pros: This is a great beginner level course that you can take your time on to help people learn their game. It was the perfect type of course for my wife and kids because we could relax, replay holes, and practice putting without having to worry about other golfers. Being nine holes, this park gets less use than Dunbar Park, which is equally beginner friendly.

It's a nice park that you can make a day in with playground equipment, bathrooms, and even some horseshoe pits. There is a walking trail to the left of the first three holes, but it only comes into play if you have a very errant shot left. This is the place if you want to practice your midrange and putting with some challenge of trees, but no worries of losing a disc.

BEST HOLE/S: #3
Cons: Coming in at under 2000', the course is very short so if you are decent expect more of an ace run than a big challenge. Only one hole is over 250' feet, so you won't need more than your midrange or putter. Hole #3 is the biggest challenge and just keep walking since the tee box is way back by the fence. The tee signs are adequate with number and distance, but the natural boxes gets muddy fast. The various older DisCatcher baskets are in average to below average shape.

The course layout itself, although fun, was very cramped in one corner of the park area and would be hazardous if it were packed. You couldn't ever have a small tournament there because people would be getting hit left and right.

WORST HOLE/S: #4
Other Thoughts: If you're in the Lake Jackson area, and are looking for a relaxing day, both Dunbar Park and Clute Park are nice courses to get a quick fix. Don't expect to be wowed, but I will say that when I wasn't hoping for much, both courses were more fun and better than expected. My recommendation is hit the Dairy Bar on Plantation Road west of Dixie after your round and get a homemade corn-dog or burger to complete your day.

Putt, Approach, and Ace Runs

1    4/29/2010   4/29/2010
Review By: Martin Dewgarita
Pros: On arriving at this course, I didn't immediately see the baskets so I wandered around for a minute, found the baskets all crammed into one corner of the park. On finding a tee box (number 3) it took me another 10 minutes to find the basket associated with it, and another 10 minutes to find number 1. Then on returning to my car I thought it would be silly to carry my entire bag for this course from what I'd seen, so I considered doing the two disc thing, but in the end I figured what the heck, one disc should be sufficient, so I looked in my bag and picked the one midrange disc that I figured I could drive and putt with, and I needed the most work on. I headed over to hole one with my Hawk in hand.

Layout. Actually quite clever use of trees give this very short and otherwise uninteresting course a unique challenge.

Number of people. I was the only person on the course, and during my time spent in the park after playing the course I never saw anybody else play it, expect to have the course to yourself, besides a few other people wandering around using the playground or exercise equipment.

Putt and Approach. A perfect place to practice accuracy shots around and through trees.

Ace Runs. Come get your first Ace, every hole is an opportunity if you can weave it through the trees.
Cons: Cramped. A very small area for a disc golf course, good thing there wasn't anybody else playing or it could have gotten dangerous.

Short. No length, like I said, a mid range was all I needed to play this course, leave the drivers home.

Navigation. Like I said, I had a difficult time finding hole one (on the other side of the playground from the first parking lot on the left) then from each tee I could see nearly every other basket, it was a guessing game of which one to throw at, of course I could have walked up and checked, but was too lazy and a couple times ended up throwing at the wrong basket.

Signage. Signs could of course help with navigation, each hole had post with the hole number, some of them had a distance and a rough sketch drawn on in a marker. These posts are perpendicular to the hole (if you're looking directly at the number, the hole should be directly to your right?) this confused me on several holes, as usually the numbers are parallel (looking directly at the number should also be looking towards the basket) this may be why I had a difficult time figuring out which basket belonged to which tee.

Tee boxes. Dirt is sufficient I suppose, I wouldn't expect anything more from this course.

Multiuse park. People all over, most of them totally oblivious to the fact that I'm throwing a disc around.
Other Thoughts: A good place to work on putt and approach, a good opportunity for an ace, bring only one disc for a decent challenge, I found it kind of enjoyable though I would not go out of the way to play it.

Favorite Hole:

Number 2. An Accuracy shot between two trees in the shape of a V, I found it rather enjoyable even though I couldn't make the hawk do what I would have liked it to do.

Putt putt

2-4    2/13/2010   4/4/2010
Review By: kuhlmarl
Pros: Shady, pretty easy to find your way around it. Nice little park with walkers and joggers. Good practice for short game and putting
Cons: When it rains, this course stays under water for a long time. No driving holes. 9 holes are packed into a small area, so you don't really feel like you're going anywhere.
Other Thoughts: I live nearby so I have gone here a few times, but the course at Dunbar in Lake Jackson is much more interesting to play.