Newport, OR
Twisted Pine DGC Share
Uploaded By: mturley Hole #13 (Taken 7/2020)

Twisted Pines-Itís Like Playing A Entirely New Course!

1    10/6/2020   10/13/2020
Pros: I last played here five years ago when it was called South Beach and the course was a great little putter course, perfect for chasing ACES. Of course, I was always a little confused by how cold it was as I wrongly thought I was in South Beach, Florida.
The state parks system has now eliminated the little putter course and given the course an entirely new makeover. The course is now named Twisted Pines and features both an AM and a PRO course. Due to (1). My age (2). Total exhaustion and (3). The fact that this was my fourth 18-hole course today, I chose to only play the AM. So therefore, my review is basically for said AM course.
South Beach State Park (Oregon version not Miami) is a long flat piece of sandy land with some scattered Madrona Groves and other coastal plants. The course starts and plays 9 holes out before the back 9 loops back to the starting area with the kiosk. There is a course map here as well as online.
The tee pads are nice sized concrete. There was no sign here at # 1 but later holes did have signage. There are lots of next tee signs pointing you in all the right directions. I did, however, find some of the signs to be downright confusing, especially when referring to the PRO course. The AM course is a total average recreational course. Distances are in the 175' to 300' range. Most holes are similar and feature a few trees to navigate around or maybe a smallish gap to hit.
I didn't find any exciting or signature holes here although I did get all fired up with PRO 4's basket placement. It's a hanging basket in this very cool, old Pine? Madrona? Tree that has seven branches/trunks growing out from the original tree.
Cons: Mostly a blah 18.

Totally flat.

Oftentimes windy here by the beach.

Most other reviewers complain of mosquitos.

Some semi-confusing signage when regarding both courses.
Other Thoughts: I liked the previous little putter course more. It was unique and played to an otherwise mostly neglected clientele of disc golfers. I wish they could've figured out a way to leave it while adding the big and bigger boy courses. Then, I think you would have had a real unique disc golf experience with something for all.

Great addition to OR Coastal disc golf

1    6/17/2020   6/22/2020
Review By: travisov
Pros: Very nicely defined fairways and greens.
Terrific course design.
Challenges for all levels.
Accurate pars.
Cons: Mosquitos!!! Bug spray will not save you.
Twisted Pines (Pinus Contorta) will grab your discs, bring a telescoping pole or something you can throw...we couldn't find any rocks to knock out discs down from the trees.
Other Thoughts: ***Research the layout on udisc/keosk before playing***

I liked this course a lot. The design uses the land in a very cool way. The pro 18 circuits the course twice, so you can stop by your car or campsite mid round for a snack or to re-up on suds.

The course is super windy (1/3 mi from the beach), but mosquitos have full shelter in the woods...so if you're not standing in the sun, you're getting destroyed by pests. The wind is a pro by my opinion, it's in your face for half the round and at your back for half. Play your greens smart!

Combined with Wilder and Waldport, the Central Oregon Coast is becoming a destination for disc golf. Kudos to the designer of Twisted Pines, you've created a good one!