Chattanooga, TN
The Sinks Share
Uploaded By: JohnnyWang Hole #1 (Taken 10/2011)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Quirky, fun, something for everyone

1    7/24/2018   7/28/2018
Review By: Jakenewcomb44
Pros: Very, very well maintained. Lots of options for players of all ability levels. Excellent signage. Really cool layout. All woods course, but not too tight.
Cons: Sinkholes filled with water can be treacherous, and I got confused about where the basket was on one hole, but otherwise it's one of the best I have played.
Other Thoughts: Must play.

The Sinks = Unique

1    6/22/2018   6/22/2018
Review By: KenanFlagler01
Pros: The Sinks is a fun, unique track that I recommend playing if you're in Chattanooga or just passing through.

+ Very unique property and landscape, with sink holes dotting the course much like sand traps in ball golf.

+ Lots of opportunities to change things up on this track. Dual tees (both concrete and adequate size). Dual basket placements on many holes (and some with 3 positions). Rec to Advanced players will find plenty to challenge them and to enjoy here.

+ Good navigation, with tee signs with layout, yardage, and pin placements (I do think that many of the yardage estimates seemed to be off and in need of updating). Next tee signs and easy walks between holes.

+ Lots of left to right holes (more than the average track), so lefty friendly or good for practicing anhyzer lines. Also nice variety with hyzer lines and more technical and straight lines.

+ Nice extras here: practice basket, driving range area (with basket), benches throughout, trash cans.

+ Despite being a heavily wooded course, there isn't a lot of underbrush or briars. Low risk of disc loss.

+ The fun factor here is pretty high. It's unique, it's pretty, it's well-maintained. It's more of a technical, finesse course, but back up to the long tees and the challenge increases. Plenty of ace runs from the shorts. Not much not to like about this course!
Cons: I would say The Sinks is a very good course, but lacking the wow factor or signature hole to make it an excellent course.

- While navigation is intuitive and the tee signs helpful, the multi pin placements can get confusing, especially with the yardage being off (in my opinion) on some signs. It would be nice if there was some type of explainer or indicator of pin locations on holes with only one basket that switches between positions.

- Drainage and mosquitoes are issues in the summer and after rain.

- Not a *super* challenging course, but decent.

- Lots of fun and unique holes, but I wouldn't say there's a memorable standout.
Other Thoughts: Definitely one to check out. No issues that would cause me concern. Fun and decent challenge.

Fun Course

5+    5/1/2011   6/2/2018
Review By: Nigel_Tufnel
Pros: Great Course with a lot of fun technical holes. Good community of locals. Well maintained. Secluded. Lots of places to sit. A good putting area to warm up. By far the best course in Chattanooga.
Cons: *Easy to lose discs.

*Can get crowded

1    3/28/2018   3/29/2018
Review By: wericsson
Pros: Before you even hit the course, it boasts a nice course map, announcement board, and even a small driving range/practice basket for warming up. There was also a dude in a camper selling discs in the parking lot, but I didn't have time to look into that.

On the course, there are decent tee signs, plentiful directional cues, and well-maintained Chainstar (I thought they were Mach V, whoops) baskets. Some holes have multiple baskets down, and all have at least two sleeves which appear to make for fairly different holes. All holes also have two tees - one that seems rec level, the other somewhat longer. (Disclaimer: I only got to play the short tees, but I will try to go back and update this when (not if) I play here again)

Every hole on the course is in the woods, and every fairway is fair, but not massive and boring. There are a fairly even mix of bends left/right and straight shots. Demanding technical work, and holes which separate smart golfers from, well, me.

The sinkholes all over the course are probably its most unique element. Some are shallow, some are ten feet deep, and they're often used near greens to suck errant discs down and force tough putts.

Never noticed anything I would consider a safety issue at all. Nothing but the course is in this chunk of the park, which is nice.
Cons: Tees are definitely short, but they are close enough to flush that hopping up on then isn't a big deal.

There were several deja vu moments playing this for the first time. There's only so much variety you can have with nearly all sub-300 woods holes, especially when all are flat aside from the sinks (one hole gains five feet, another drops about as much, but that's pretty much it). Water only comes into play once, and it's in the form of two glorified mud puddles.

Fairly short, with a couple ace runs more than I would've hoped from the short tees, but I guess that's what the long tees are for. Even those measure up barely past a mile.
Other Thoughts: I went on a Wednesday afternoon, before peak getting off work time, and there were probably 40 people there. Good vibe, I had a group adopt me before we even teed off.

The signs list also a novice par for the short tees (4 for many holes). I don't know how to feel about that; my usual advice to beginners is to play the hole however you think best and not worry about the number on the sign.

Plays quick - smartly laid out.

The Class of Chattanooga

1    11/23/2017   1/26/2018
Review By: wellsbranch250
Pros: (3.575 Rating) A fully wooded gem that's cherished by the locals and beyond.
- CHARACTER - I loved all the great amenities at The Sinks. It starts when arriving. There's a course map, community board and locked disc return box. The community board is used and has event and league info. I loved the sign calling out those who litter. There's a practice basket and the spacing around it looks ideal. Lots of alternate basket locations and a few holes actually have two baskets in place. I was informed that the extra baskets rotate around. Also a potta-potty on site and an open practice range.
- TEEING EXPERIENCE - Two adequately sized concrete tees on every hole. Every tee had its own signage and ninety percent of them had nice large benches as well. There are basket placement indicators using screws and sharpie lettering. All of the tees are shaded and there are trash cans and brooms at a few holes as well. In all, one of the better teeing experiences in all of my travels.
- RAW BEAUTY - Staring down (1) I had a hunch that this course was going to be looker, and the remainder of the layout didn't disappoint. Visually speaking only, the view from each of the tees ranged from average to excellent. I paused to pull out my camera several times to snap photos of the fairway designs. I'd put The Sinks in my top 40 for beauty (219 courses played as of this review) but outside my top 20.
- CHALLENGING - I started off playing the back tees and as an intermediate level player, I struggled to keep pace with par. The fairway lines are well defined and tight in many instances. I often found myself scrambling for par outside of a hundred feet due to hitting a tree way too early. Numerous holes require a good amount shot shaping and hitting 10 to 15 foot gaps 200 feet down fairway. With many of these wooded holes being over 350 feet in length from the backs, advanced players are going to be adequately challenged here. The front tees appear to be the perfect challenge for rec players or a fun birdie fest for higher skilled players.
- NAVIGATION - Other than walking over to tee (9) after finishing (1) I didn't have any issues traversing this layout. As stated under the pros for character, great course map and also adequate hole signage. The hole signage has next tee direction arrows and there are other navigational cues along the layout as well.
- SINKHOLES - What an awesome element to be able to design a course around. The depths of the sinkholes ranges from just a few feet to almost fifteen feet. Several baskets are positioned around these disc suckers and it made my plan of attack that much more interesting.
- SKILL LEVEL FRIENDLY - Due to the two tee set-up this course works well for advanced players through recreation. Not long enough to be pro difficult and also probably not the best place for beginners, although both of these skill level may still enjoy a round here due to all the other aspects of the course.
Cons: No issues of substance with The Sinks.
- VARIETY - About average, but for courses I've rated this high it would fall below average among those courses. The sinkholes are definitely a unique aspect. However, after this element there really isn't much to distinguish the holes amongst themselves. 18 fully wooded holes with a couple nice benders in both directions. The course is comprised of all par 3s varying from 450 feet to sub 200 feet. Water never comes into play or at least I never saw any. Perhaps some of the sinks fill with water. There is no elevation other than playing from the bottom of a sink. I played Camp Jordan the same day I played The Sinks and I could still visually remember every hole at Camp Jordan months later. I couldn't do that with The Sinks and I had to refer to my notes and pictures a bunch of times to write this review. A lot of the holes here will blend together in memory with just the one play.
- ELEVATION - Great for those with a disc golf cart and adequate for those with bad knees, however not so great for those itch'n to throw 30 to 40 foot down shots. As mentioned above, the only elevation is really in the sinks themselves. I found myself at the bottom of one of the larger ones on (12) and it was definitely an interesting blind putt to the basket.
- DRAINAGE - A few areas look suspect. Hole (4s) fairway was very muddy and I didn't recall any rain in the area in the days prior to my visit. As flat as this course is, I suspect that the play can get dicey after a heavy rain.
Other Thoughts: My favorite of the five courses I've played in Chattanooga as of this review and clearly the local and visitor favorite as well. Players traveling along I75 or I24 should highly consider swinging by this course as it's only a 10 to 15 minute drive off of the interstate. The course is great for larger groups due to the two tees but also perfect for solo players as well. I personally started out solo on my round but ended up finishing the last 7 holes with fellow DGCR member helix_rider. What a great guy to talk about disc golf with in addition to throwing a round. In addition, on (18) we mob golfed it out with at least ten players where apparently four different groups had merged. That's the sign of a great course.
- TIME TO PLAY - The Sinks falls right in the middle in the time required to play. Figure just over two hours for a group of four. A solo player that can finagle their way through other groups should be able to complete this in about an hour.

The Sinks

1    10/19/2016   10/24/2016
Review By: lazrman778
Pros:
Has practice basket

Has concrete tee pads

Has tee signs with locations of the various basket placements

Multiple basket placements on every hole

Has many benches and trash cans throughout course

Wooded fairways with some doglegs which will be challenging to the casual player

Almost all of the holes are under shade where this can be really appreciated in the hot and humid summers

Course flows pretty good

Park is exclusive for disc golf and you won't see other parkgoers

Really no water hazards here to lose your disc (currently there's a drought)

Nice split of the front and back nines in case you want to start on hole #10 first

Well-maintained

Porta potty

Free Parking
Cons:
Old tee signs could use some updating - had to use a lot of math in calculating the distance from tee to basket

Multiple baskets on some holes can be confusing for the first timer

Baskets can be hard to locate from tees until you find the orange paint on the poles

Needs more next tee signs at some baskets

Course is mostly flat

Course can get crowded at times as it's popular with the locals

Lots of mosquitos here (even during a drought in mid-October) - bring some insect repellent
This is a nice course that I enjoyed playing while visiting Chattanooga. Seeing the collection of sinks at the putting area gives the course its uniqueness that you won't find at other courses. I went during a Wednesday morning and was surprised to see other players there as well - I can't imagine how busy the course is on the weekends. I wish the course had more of a mix of open and wooded fairways but they're mostly wooded. Also, a par 54 for the long tees is setting the bar pretty high here...should be more of a par 56 in my opinion. Given the length of 561ft and a narrow fairway, hole #15 just seems to be impossible to get a par 3. Definitely a must play if you're in the area.

Get your putters and mid ranges ready!

2-4    5/25/2016   5/25/2016
Review By: Taylor510ce
Pros: Battle your short game technique and consistency! Helps dial in your tight and technical shots, teaches you to use your putter as a driver. Also teaches you how to throw straight.
Cons: Could get boring if you're into a variety of distances and obstacles.
Other Thoughts: You really don't even need a distance driver at all, so if you're into variety, you'll enjoy it, but want more.

Fun Course - Will Be Back

2-4    5/22/2016   5/24/2016
Review By: SuperDave1981
This review was updated on 5/28/2016
Pros: Some courses may feel as though a pin and tee pad were randomly placed and called a hole, but not here! It's obvious that a lot of time and thought were put into the design of nearly every hole. Each hole has not one, but two tee pads (one amateur and one pro). Signage and benches are at every hole, and trash cans are at most, which keeps the course mostly clear of litter. The course is also very well maintained. The fairways are clear and stump free and trenches have been dug to clear areas where standing water may accumulate. Another great feature to this course are the friendly locals. My fist time playing, I ran into a group of 6 or 7 at the first hole. When they found it was my first time playing there, they let me play the entire course with them. This course might be challenging for beginners because some holes require an accurate line through some trees. Others have narrow fairways and out of sight pin placement. Each hole has at least two pins and many aren't visible from the tee pad. Another great feature are the practice pins located near the parking lot. They're great for warming up before playing, or for practicing afterward.
Cons: Each hole has at least two pins - While I listed this as a pro, because I feel it adds variety to the way the course is played, I also feel it adds confusion to the way the course should be played. The signage at every hole indicates a "Novice Par 4" and "Advance Par 3" but does that mean that it's a Par 3 if you play the closest pin and a par 4 if you play the furthest? Is it solely determined by your skill level? Or is it dependent on which tee pad you throw from? I've only been playing a few months, and finished this course 11 - under par according to the Novice Par 4 standard. Had I calculated each hole a Par 3, I would have finished 7 over, which is generally closer to where I finish at other courses I play more often. Some of the holes are in very close proximity to others, which can make it fairly easy to accidentally throw a stray disc and interfere with someone else's game. This seems to be a fairly popular course among the locals, so don't be surprised if its a little crowded at times.
Other Thoughts: The first time playing any course, I expect to finish poorer than I would after becoming more familiar with it - so I was surprised when I finished as well as I did my first time here. I like the fact that there was signage at every hole because not every course offers that, but I think some updating can be done on their design. I also think it'd be nice if each pin had the hole number and direction to next tee on them. Being that there are more than one on each hole, they should also be labeled "A","B", or "C" etc. I try to be hard on my critique because I think pointing out areas of improvement will really help to improve the course, but there's really not a whole lot you can complain about with this course. Can't wait to come back and play again!

1    9/23/2015   9/23/2015
Review By: mattdabbs
Pros: This course has a feel unlike any other course I have played. It feels very down home, super nice people, driving range and putting area right by the parking and super easy to navigate. There were a lot of people there but they were all very friendly and were good about letting me (by myself) play through. I was concerned that it might be hard to navigate but the course runs all through the woods and it is very well marked so that I only got confused in one spot where I could see 3 baskets all in the same general area. The map wasn't all that helpful because the layout was so easy to follow that I didn't really even need the map.

The fairways are pretty technical with a definite line on each hole that makes an advanced player have a look at quite a few birdies. Everything is pretty short but not in a ridiculous sense. The challenge is in shaping your shot and playing quite a few blind holes. The course is also very flat and I found it pretty easy to find my discs even in the rough (which was pretty rough in a few places).

The driving range and putting area is a huge plus and is a pretty unusual feature for a DG course.

Tee pads were adequate as was the signage...not outstanding but helpful and enough to give you an idea. This is an all around good course with plenty to keep you coming back and convenient access off some major roads. I would definitely play it again on the way through town.
Cons: Spot a snake on 1's fairway and from other reviews and updates looks like there are a fair amount of snakes on the course. No big deal. Hard to know where the nasty puddles were on my first time through. Managed to miss them all but could have easily ended up in them. A few mosquitoes on the course in the rough that surprised me...I think that was around hole 16.

No major cons...nothing major to write home about on the down side.
Other Thoughts: The park could use some updated signs. Other than that I think they did a great job with the space they have. Some great people on this course that are very helpful. Definitely play this if you are in the area trying to decide which course to play.

Very Good Wooded Coarse

1    4/5/2015   4/5/2015
Review By: markmcc
Pros: This is a fine example of a wooded course that has been designed to be challenging, but fair. In my mind the width and shape of the fairways is just right. No so tight as to be ridiculous, but tight enough to require accurate drives. A good mix of straight, left-finishing and right-finishing holes.

Two concrete tee pads for each hole. The pads are good and level, with a nice texture. They are not exceptionally long, but the course doesn't require big run-ups. Tee pads even have mud scrapers embedded next to them to wipe the mud off of your shoes. Nice touch.

Two or three pin positions for each hole. The morning I played there were two, and sometimes three baskets actually in place on some holes. That made it a little confusing for a first-time traveler like myself, but for the locals I can see that it adds flexibility.

Navigation was pretty straightforward, with several "next tee" signs in strategic locations.

Most of the holes are in the 200' - 350' range, and all drives are down a wooded fairway with fairly thick woods on each side. Some of the brush hadn't leafed out yet, but I imagine it gets thicker later in the season.

Nice large parking lot, with a big bulletin board, Practice basket and driving range next to parking give a great spot to warm up.
Cons: The tee signs have seen better days. Much of the detail has been faded off of them, so they are basically there to give hole number, par, and distance info. Many have been "updated" with a sharpie to show line to the basket.

There is a sort of single dimension to the course. I think that the design is very good for the area they are working with, but there was no elevation to work with, really no water significantly in play, and not a lot of length.

The ground can obviously get muddy. There were low spots that were quiet mushy and a little standing water.
Other Thoughts: Hats off to the local club that maintains this course. It was in great shape, with plenty of benches and trash cans. No trash on the ground the day I played.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7