Billings, MT
Diamond X Share
Uploaded By: filmwalrus Hole #5 (Taken 10/2010)
-- / --   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

< Prev 1 2 3
So much potential

1    7/4/2017   7/7/2017
Review By: Stvnmjones
Pros: Elevation change. Challenging. Scenery
Cons: Poorly marked. Not maintained.
Other Thoughts: I was anxious to play this course ever since I knew I was going to Montana, even driving out of my way to get there. When I got there I noticed the local map posted was different than the DGCR map, with the DGCR being the better of the two. As a newcomer to this course, I came with no prejudgment, but hoping to have a blast playing.
Even with using the DGCR map, it was EXTREMELY difficult to navigate my way around the park (I started playing the red side).
The tee boxes are all dirt and only marked by small flags (same size used to mark gas/water lines).
Each of the baskets has a small arrow pointing in the general direction of the next tee box, but the park isn't well maintained and the tee boxes aren't easily identifiable (by hole number or general location).
I spent an excessive amount of time to go from hole-to-hole. I actually was only able to play about 12-123 holes because the others I couldn't find the tee box.
This course has the scenery and the challenge to be a top notch course but because it is poorly marked, I felt it was a little less superb.

Something special

1    8/13/2016   3/12/2017
Review By: SpencerK
Pros: If you haven't experienced a lot of elevation change, get ready for a party. I've played quite a bit of mountain style golf, and Diamond X still stands out among the rest. If you count it as 2 18 hole courses, hole 18 on both sides have 272' and 350'+ of elevation drop from tee to basket on the final hole. Incredible shots.

Well done effort to be challenging, but still have enough fun holes built in to keep everyone involved. Definitely not a beginner course, but anyone with a little experience is going to have a good time here, not just reserved for the big arms.

Lots of hole variation. Some interesting short technical shots, some big hyzers, some turnovers of forehand holes, holes throwing off the cliffs, holes throwing to the cliffs, up the cliffs, around the cliffs, and some great use of risk/reward line options on different holes.

What sets Diamond X apart from the rest and really makes it something special is how they used the rimrock that the course is built on. After playing close to 70 courses, I have never found anything like it. Absolutely something special, and any fans of disc golf will not regret making the stop if you're ever close by.
Cons: Very rugged terrain. You will be going up and down lots of hills, over rocks, and a couple of times I actually had to take my bag off in order to feel completely safe climbing up or down part of the terrain. Not exactly a bad thing, but you are going to get a workout in, so come prepared for that.

On several holes it would be extremely easy to lose a disc. On the huge shots off the cliff, its not uncommon for your disc to be 300-400' off the line if you get a bad tee shot, which can lead to losing them, or just having to do a lot of walking to pick everything up. There are also several holes that play very close to the edges at the top of the rimrock, and if you miss you line or get a bad roll, your disc may end up at the bottom while you're still at the top. It's really just something that is going to happen when you play a course this extreme, there's not much that can be done to avoid it, and I wouldn't change the holes at all to make it safer, but come prepared.

There are a lot of cacti. Not giant cacti, but little cacti all over the grounds that hide in the grass and have no problem going through tennis shoes. There aren't a lot in the fairways, but it's pretty easy (especially on the cliff shots) to end up wandering around and step on some, so boots are probably a good plan.

Some of the holes in the bottom part of the valley, before you get up top, can feel a little boring or repetitive due to a lack of obstacles, but all in all they did a very good job with the space.

Other Thoughts: Some holes had to be removed last year due to landslides, and have not been permanently replaced yet. I believe that they will now be adding par 4's and maybe a par 5, but nothing is set in stone. The map linked here will be out of date soon, but I'm excited to see how the local club does with replacing the retired holes.

All in all this course is a little rugged, doesn't have the greatest tee signs or perfect grooming, but it's an incredibly special course that you will not regret checking out. It is the only course of it's kind that I have ever heard of, and stands alone as some of the most extreme disc golf I have ever played. Not for the faint of heart, but if you are ready, it's a course you will never forget.

Now I know what "Very Hilly" looks like!

1    4/17/2014   4/17/2014
Review By: markmcc
Pros: This course is located on an exceptional piece of land. The topography and elevation really make it special.

This course takes full advantage of a tall circular bluff by running holes up, down and along the steep face. The first six holes (I played the Red Tees) start off in the "bowl" below the bluff, but still offer significant elevation changes. Not much in the way of trees down here, but the holes are challenging.

Starting at Hole 7 you go up the bluff, and start encountering more trees. The terrain is very rugged, and you need to closely watch where your discs land or you may not find them.

Depending on which holes you play at the top, you'll either be up on mostly flat ground, or playing holes which drive across canyons to baskets perched on the other side. There are a couple of amazing basket placements on the left (east) side.

The final Hole on each side is an epic drive from the top of the bluff to the basket below. Watch where it goes, because it will take you a while to get down there!

Teepads are natural, but were surprising good. For the most part they were flat and even.

I played just a few days after a weekend B-tier tournament and many of the additional signs and flags leading to the next tees were still in place, so navigation wasn't bad.
Cons: This course will work you physically. If you are not in shape it will beat you up. My wife finally gave up and went back to the truck at Hole 8.

The permanent signs are very small and mounted low to the ground. I was able to take advantage of additional taller signs left over from a weekend tournament. Without those signs I would have been hard pressed to locate several of the tees.
Other Thoughts: I would generally rate a course down for dirt tee pads, poor signage, and difficult navigation, but this one is so special based on the terrain and basket placements that I didn't use my normal criteria.

Wear boots, take water, and a spotter would be useful on a few of the holes. This would be an easy course to lose a disc or two on.

Arranging to play with a local might save you some looking around.

Badass course!

1    5/20/2013   5/27/2013
Review By: Masonian
Pros: This course is stunning and has a lot of diversity in holes. It starts behind the rimrocks and climbs all the way to the top of the rim with a sweeping view of Billings. Then it quickly works its way down the rim culminating in a 720ft 18th hole that can be birdied or maybe even aced. This course combines disc golf, hiking and rock scrambling through beautiful cowboy country.
Cons: I played alone with the downloadable map, but still couldn't find 2 of the tees. This is because many of the tee markers are small and only rise a few inches off the ground even if the grass is tall or boulders surround it. Need poles instead of these little tee markers. The wind was relentless on top of the rimrocks, with hundred foot cliffs on either side of you, so I actually chickened out on one of the holes. Many of the holes cross seas of boulders so your discs will probably take a pounding.
Other Thoughts: This is one of those courses you will never forget!

A Rough Little Diamond

1    6/30/2011   1/7/2013
Review By: windsurf17
Pros: Fun, diamond-in-the-rough course. Some tees were hard to find, but the course is beautiful, rugged, playing in a bowl with some small sandstone cliffs. Fantastic place to play. Some great holes off the hill, some with drop-offs, around trees. One of the tee boxes is a big slab of rock. Fun course. Watch where the discs go, though, if there is tall grass they can be hard to find.
Cons: You'd have to be pretty picky to find a con beyond the difficulty finding some of the tee boxes and baskets. I had a printed map which helped. Part of the problem is that it's just a rugged course with lots of rocks and shrubs that can make it hard to find the next tee or basket.

Phipp's Park

1    8/12/2012   8/16/2012
Review By: warmastar
Pros: *Hole layout is amazing
*Challenging drives (hyzer & anhyzer)
*Beautiful scenery
*Unique experience
*Great information on each tee as where the hole is in distance / height
Cons: :*Map was impossible to read due to age / dirt
*Even with the greatly informed signs on the tees it was hard to find the next tee
*Not a lot of shade
*Not a relax course (you will want water)
*No garbage cans or facilities
*The name of the course is deceiving. It's in Phipp's Park, so why not call it Phipp's Park?
Other Thoughts: You will want to save around 3 hours if it is your first time playing this. Finding the holes and the hike to each hole / tee is going to take about this long for an 18 hole game. We only had about an hour and a half to play and got tired of looking for the tees after hole 9. If I lived in the area I would make this a common trip once I learned all the hole positions but wouldn't suggest this to anyone wanting to sneak a game in between other vacation events.

1    7/25/2012   7/31/2012
Review By: toucan2306
Pros: -What great scenery
-Unique shots you will never see anywhere else.
-Signs are very detailed to where the hole is compared to the tee.
Cons: -It can take upwards of 20 minutes to find the next tee.
-The map is not correct at the entrance of the course.
-No tee pads
Other Thoughts: My wife and I only made it through 12 holes on this course before marking it off our list as a waste. We walked around looking for tees more than we actually were able to play disc golf. The map being incorrect was frustrating and the signs were near impossible to see when put on the ground. The concept was fantastic and the holes were very well placed. I wish they could just put it all together and make it a great course.

Extreme!!

1    3/2/2012   3/3/2012
Review By: BalataGrande
Pros: 1-Views......this is a breathtaking course with unbelievable views. My phone died after about 5 holes so I didn't get near the photos I wanted.
2-Physical challenge......this course is like mountain climbing meets disc golf. It is a great workout and requires some cautious planning to reach your disc for the next throw.
3-Elevation change.....extreme elevation changes makes shotmaking a blast, even on "flat" holes, there's the fear of a shot going errant and falling off a 300 foot ridge!!
Cons: The only con I have is it was difficult to know where the next hole is. When you could follow the path, it was easy, when you got into the rocks, I ended up lost, wandering around looking for any teebox.
Other Thoughts: This was a great experience for me, I had a great time but this is NOT a course for a beginner, or an out of shape moderate player!! It was extremely windy the day I was there as well, making it even more challenging but if I'm ever in Billings again, I will RUN not walk to play this course again!!

Amazing use of the landscape

1    11/7/2011   11/7/2011
Review By: Joey Pauley
Pros: - great use of the natural landsscape
- unbelievable views
- a full 36 holes
- 18th hole
Cons: - finding discs. you may pay for this course in plastic. We lost one on 18.
- route finding is a bit rough
- a few signs could be a bit better. For instance where to go on 18.
Other Thoughts: It was the perfect was to see the landscape. Unbelievable course. Reminded me a lot of Whistler with a Mesa flair to it. The holes all used creative use of the natural landscape. Also very clean.

Cant add too much more that has not been written except
- We played in the snow. Since most of the course in north facing it was slow to melt out.
- I would gladly pay for a spotter on almost every hole.
- I would also enjoy a rappel from 18. It would cut the walk by 15 minutes.

Strange Lights in my Mouth

1    7/9/2011   11/2/2011
Review By: Martin Dewgarita
Pros: The description of a 4.5 rating is "Phenomenal" that about sums it up.

I do not give this rating for "golf challenge" but for the "awe factor." Any other course that I've rated this high has a variety of wooded holes forcing different lines or with different options for lines. This course has a small variety of trees that shape some of the holes, but most of the challenge doesn't come from tight technical fairways but from navigating through the desert canyons through the boulders and rough terrain. Then as you get up on the rim of the canyon the risk/reward factor comes into play where an errant shot may lead to a half hour hike down the side of a cliff if you want your plastic back, if you can find it again.

This is an adventure course at its best, not for the faint of heart. Get a good night sleep, put your hiking boots on, pack plenty of water, bring some snacks, bring a couple discs you might lose, wear jeans, bring a camera and plan for a full day of disc golf. If you're not prepared or not in good shape all 36 holes might be a bit too much to tackle in a day.

Amenities. Plenty of parking, a dumpster and a info kiosk down the trail are all this course has, make sure you're prepared before heading out there.

Variety. Though many of the holes are open, the variety of boulders, trees, canyon walls, and trees come are used to create a variety of challenging holes. 36 holes, not one seems like another and each one is just perfect for this course. From short and technical to long and wide open.

Secluded. I saw a few other people walking their dogs and exploring this beautiful scenic area. But they never impeded on my game. I often felt that I was by myself on a great journey through the canyons.

Scenic. Beautiful, assuming you're not attached to the lush green scenery of the typical forested courses.

Baskets. 36 of them, in good condition.

Awe Factor. I said bring a camera, several times along the way I found myself pausing to sit and enjoy the view, as you're working up the side of the cliff the view just keeps getting better. Then of course there's the 2 holes 18, it looks like an awesome place to empty the bag but finding the first disc is challenging enough.
Cons: Wears on plastic. The rough terrain and rocks will chew up discs, especially base line plastic, plan accordingly.

Tee. For a rough secluded course, this is about what I expect. Most teepads do the job, some are pretty rough, and a couple have broken ankle written all over them.

Navigation. Get a map, study it, pay close attention, spend plenty of time walking around looking for the next tee, prepare to get lost. With some detective work I was able to find all of the holes. Or ideally, get a guide, personally I waited for an hour or so, not many other "Folfers" out there (and before you slam me for the term, you must realize that this is the sport they play in Montana, took me a while to get used to hearing "Folf").

Losing plastic. Lots of nooks and crannies for discs to hide, a spotter might be useful, playing by myself was tough, several places had me looking for my discs for a long time, even though they were right in the "open."

Not for the faint of heart. If you're out of shape, the steep climbs and rough terrain may make this course less than ideal.

Not many other courses nearby.

Not for beginners. The holes in the lower part of the canyon could be a great place to practice and learn the game, but the holes along the rim offer plenty of chances to turn a disc off into oblivion. Personally I had what I thought was a "perfect" shot on the blind basket 15 along the left side, all I can determine is that it rolled off the cliff, never to be seen again.
Other Thoughts: This course isn't necessarily on my top 10 list of favorite courses for design/challenge reasons. But on my list of phenomenal courses that one should experience in life, this is number 1. If you're ever presented with the opportunity to play this course, don't pass it up.

< Prev 1 2 3