Billings, MT
Diamond X Share
Uploaded By: lteppen   (Taken 7/2008)

< Prev 1 2 3
Beutifully frustrating!

1    7/13/2011   6/13/2019
Review By: takman
Pros: -Breathtaking scenery and totally unique layout
-Short and long layout depending on your skill and time constraints
-Ultimate physical and mental challenge
-Chance to tie for the longest ace ever

Cons: -Hard to navigate without a local
-Tees were less than desirable on the holes that I played
-Very little shade during most of the day, but that's X
Other Thoughts: Another Mecca course for me after seeing photos over the years. played about 2/3 of the short tees but could only dream about the longs for now. Feels more like a nature hike than a round, would like to spend all weekend there on my next trip out west.

A Diamond You Can Dig

1    8/26/2018   11/11/2018
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: What an amazing place for playing disc golf. Diamond X is located in Phipps Park, around an incredible rocky bluff that provides an excellent hiking area that is really beautiful. There are extreme elevation changes, and rolling hills covered with tall grass and scattered trees. Rocky boulders and wild basket locations will also be in play.

The tee signs on the red portion of the course were ok, indicating the hole number and distance. The tees are dirt, and were not muddy or slick at the time. I liked the pin placements relative to the tees, almost all of them having some elevation difference, and usually tricky lies when you get near the basket.

The easier red portion covers the bottom part of the course, using the hills, and lower edges of the ridge. Holes 1 and 2 are kind of in a ravine, with fun drives that are reachable for birdies. Holes 4 and 5 run along the bottom of the ridge with downhill looks that are fun. 5 is fairly short. 6 is a longer hole, over a low area, with a pin on top of the other side. There are trees that make the approach a little more difficult. Hole 8 is once again running along the side of the ridge, and the target has little room for error. Steep slopes can cause nasty roll aways, and rocks and trees block the lane.
Cons: I was not familiar with the layout, and could have used some help finding the tee for hole 9, even with a map. More baskets were visible atop the mesa, and I am sure I didn't get to play some of the best holes. The climb to the top looked potentially dangerous for my dog (he is getting older), and I didn't want to waste time searching for the path with rain moving towards us.

The tees are not perfect, and the signs could be better. I will overlook this usually, but a little directional help or a guide could have let us get to play more of the course possibly. If the older reviews are still accurate, half of the 36 holes have tone poles. I have never played a course featuring these targets, but it seems like they might not be as satisfying as a normal basket.

There is a lot of potential to lose discs here, with all of the tall rough, and cracks and crevices in among the rocks and boulders. Not great for a new player.

Cell phone service could be poor to non existent (mine was anyway).
Other Thoughts: Diamond X was the first course on day two of my road trip. I didn't get to play every hole, but saw enough of the course to know there are some very cool holes. I camped in Harden, packing up my gear as the rain began to fall. I drove through constant rain to Billings. The weather was behind me when I got to town and the course was in decent shape.

I was really enjoying the course, but the rocky transition between hole 8 and 9 was hard to find, and my big old dog didn't really have the rock climbing skills to make it up the bluff. I wanted to continue, but poor weather and a very long drive across Montana were still in front of me. I chose to cut the round short, with hopes I will be able to return one day and finish it off.

The limited parts I played were very good, and the parts I didn't get to looked incredible. Bring good shoes for hiking, and find a guide if possible. On a nice day this would be a great place to be. If I had played the entire course, I might be tempted to give it a 4.5, but no lower than 4.

One of a kind Mountain Excellence

5+    10/8/2017   1/26/2018
Review By: Mtn Huckin
Pros: All 5 of the 9 hole layouts are super cool!
It is truly a one of a kind experience. The only thing close to it is Base Camp on the Colorado river outside Moab.
This is consequential risk/reward disc golf at its finest.
Tunnels, Cliffs, Steep uphill and downhill shots.
Pins bolted to the sides of rock faces and greens placed on 275' cliff edges are just a couple of the things that make this place AMAZING.
It truly is a mountain golfers dream!
Cons: Rattlesnakes in the warmer months.

Tees are natural and not great and navigation is challenging.
I state this only as a observation. Ask yourself if you would want to chisel out tees from solid rock and/or drag concrete around.

It is a TRUE mountain golf experience and once you have been around the layouts, navigation is simple and straight forward.
Other Thoughts: The X is notorious and deservedly so.
It is a bucket list destination that any serious course bagger MUST have checked off on their list.

GO. Your perception of disc golf will never be the same.

The Black (lower left) layout which is the OG layout has been taken out due to the cliff face falling down and destroying holes 2 and 3. The city has made the call to remove it for safety reasons. Quite a bummer as it was easily my favorite of the 9 hole layouts.
A White layout was put in for Spring Fling (annual event) in 2017 but was temporary and promptly removed.
Its not quite as great as it once was without Black but still an absolutely amazing place to huck plastic.

So much potential

1    7/4/2017   7/7/2017
Review By: Stvnmjones
Pros: Elevation change. Challenging. Scenery
Cons: Poorly marked. Not maintained.
Other Thoughts: I was anxious to play this course ever since I knew I was going to Montana, even driving out of my way to get there. When I got there I noticed the local map posted was different than the DGCR map, with the DGCR being the better of the two. As a newcomer to this course, I came with no prejudgment, but hoping to have a blast playing.
Even with using the DGCR map, it was EXTREMELY difficult to navigate my way around the park (I started playing the red side).
The tee boxes are all dirt and only marked by small flags (same size used to mark gas/water lines).
Each of the baskets has a small arrow pointing in the general direction of the next tee box, but the park isn't well maintained and the tee boxes aren't easily identifiable (by hole number or general location).
I spent an excessive amount of time to go from hole-to-hole. I actually was only able to play about 12-123 holes because the others I couldn't find the tee box.
This course has the scenery and the challenge to be a top notch course but because it is poorly marked, I felt it was a little less superb.

Something special

1    8/13/2016   3/12/2017
Review By: SpencerK
Pros: If you haven't experienced a lot of elevation change, get ready for a party. I've played quite a bit of mountain style golf, and Diamond X still stands out among the rest. If you count it as 2 18 hole courses, hole 18 on both sides have 272' and 350'+ of elevation drop from tee to basket on the final hole. Incredible shots.

Well done effort to be challenging, but still have enough fun holes built in to keep everyone involved. Definitely not a beginner course, but anyone with a little experience is going to have a good time here, not just reserved for the big arms.

Lots of hole variation. Some interesting short technical shots, some big hyzers, some turnovers of forehand holes, holes throwing off the cliffs, holes throwing to the cliffs, up the cliffs, around the cliffs, and some great use of risk/reward line options on different holes.

What sets Diamond X apart from the rest and really makes it something special is how they used the rimrock that the course is built on. After playing close to 70 courses, I have never found anything like it. Absolutely something special, and any fans of disc golf will not regret making the stop if you're ever close by.
Cons: Very rugged terrain. You will be going up and down lots of hills, over rocks, and a couple of times I actually had to take my bag off in order to feel completely safe climbing up or down part of the terrain. Not exactly a bad thing, but you are going to get a workout in, so come prepared for that.

On several holes it would be extremely easy to lose a disc. On the huge shots off the cliff, its not uncommon for your disc to be 300-400' off the line if you get a bad tee shot, which can lead to losing them, or just having to do a lot of walking to pick everything up. There are also several holes that play very close to the edges at the top of the rimrock, and if you miss you line or get a bad roll, your disc may end up at the bottom while you're still at the top. It's really just something that is going to happen when you play a course this extreme, there's not much that can be done to avoid it, and I wouldn't change the holes at all to make it safer, but come prepared.

There are a lot of cacti. Not giant cacti, but little cacti all over the grounds that hide in the grass and have no problem going through tennis shoes. There aren't a lot in the fairways, but it's pretty easy (especially on the cliff shots) to end up wandering around and step on some, so boots are probably a good plan.

Some of the holes in the bottom part of the valley, before you get up top, can feel a little boring or repetitive due to a lack of obstacles, but all in all they did a very good job with the space.

Other Thoughts: Some holes had to be removed last year due to landslides, and have not been permanently replaced yet. I believe that they will now be adding par 4's and maybe a par 5, but nothing is set in stone. The map linked here will be out of date soon, but I'm excited to see how the local club does with replacing the retired holes.

All in all this course is a little rugged, doesn't have the greatest tee signs or perfect grooming, but it's an incredibly special course that you will not regret checking out. It is the only course of it's kind that I have ever heard of, and stands alone as some of the most extreme disc golf I have ever played. Not for the faint of heart, but if you are ready, it's a course you will never forget.

Now I know what "Very Hilly" looks like!

1    4/17/2014   4/17/2014
Review By: markmcc
Pros: This course is located on an exceptional piece of land. The topography and elevation really make it special.

This course takes full advantage of a tall circular bluff by running holes up, down and along the steep face. The first six holes (I played the Red Tees) start off in the "bowl" below the bluff, but still offer significant elevation changes. Not much in the way of trees down here, but the holes are challenging.

Starting at Hole 7 you go up the bluff, and start encountering more trees. The terrain is very rugged, and you need to closely watch where your discs land or you may not find them.

Depending on which holes you play at the top, you'll either be up on mostly flat ground, or playing holes which drive across canyons to baskets perched on the other side. There are a couple of amazing basket placements on the left (east) side.

The final Hole on each side is an epic drive from the top of the bluff to the basket below. Watch where it goes, because it will take you a while to get down there!

Teepads are natural, but were surprising good. For the most part they were flat and even.

I played just a few days after a weekend B-tier tournament and many of the additional signs and flags leading to the next tees were still in place, so navigation wasn't bad.
Cons: This course will work you physically. If you are not in shape it will beat you up. My wife finally gave up and went back to the truck at Hole 8.

The permanent signs are very small and mounted low to the ground. I was able to take advantage of additional taller signs left over from a weekend tournament. Without those signs I would have been hard pressed to locate several of the tees.
Other Thoughts: I would generally rate a course down for dirt tee pads, poor signage, and difficult navigation, but this one is so special based on the terrain and basket placements that I didn't use my normal criteria.

Wear boots, take water, and a spotter would be useful on a few of the holes. This would be an easy course to lose a disc or two on.

Arranging to play with a local might save you some looking around.

Badass course!

1    5/20/2013   5/27/2013
Review By: Masonian
Pros: This course is stunning and has a lot of diversity in holes. It starts behind the rimrocks and climbs all the way to the top of the rim with a sweeping view of Billings. Then it quickly works its way down the rim culminating in a 720ft 18th hole that can be birdied or maybe even aced. This course combines disc golf, hiking and rock scrambling through beautiful cowboy country.
Cons: I played alone with the downloadable map, but still couldn't find 2 of the tees. This is because many of the tee markers are small and only rise a few inches off the ground even if the grass is tall or boulders surround it. Need poles instead of these little tee markers. The wind was relentless on top of the rimrocks, with hundred foot cliffs on either side of you, so I actually chickened out on one of the holes. Many of the holes cross seas of boulders so your discs will probably take a pounding.
Other Thoughts: This is one of those courses you will never forget!

A Rough Little Diamond

1    6/30/2011   1/7/2013
Review By: windsurf17
Pros: Fun, diamond-in-the-rough course. Some tees were hard to find, but the course is beautiful, rugged, playing in a bowl with some small sandstone cliffs. Fantastic place to play. Some great holes off the hill, some with drop-offs, around trees. One of the tee boxes is a big slab of rock. Fun course. Watch where the discs go, though, if there is tall grass they can be hard to find.
Cons: You'd have to be pretty picky to find a con beyond the difficulty finding some of the tee boxes and baskets. I had a printed map which helped. Part of the problem is that it's just a rugged course with lots of rocks and shrubs that can make it hard to find the next tee or basket.

Phipp's Park

1    8/12/2012   8/16/2012
Review By: warmastar
Pros: *Hole layout is amazing
*Challenging drives (hyzer & anhyzer)
*Beautiful scenery
*Unique experience
*Great information on each tee as where the hole is in distance / height
Cons: :*Map was impossible to read due to age / dirt
*Even with the greatly informed signs on the tees it was hard to find the next tee
*Not a lot of shade
*Not a relax course (you will want water)
*No garbage cans or facilities
*The name of the course is deceiving. It's in Phipp's Park, so why not call it Phipp's Park?
Other Thoughts: You will want to save around 3 hours if it is your first time playing this. Finding the holes and the hike to each hole / tee is going to take about this long for an 18 hole game. We only had about an hour and a half to play and got tired of looking for the tees after hole 9. If I lived in the area I would make this a common trip once I learned all the hole positions but wouldn't suggest this to anyone wanting to sneak a game in between other vacation events.

1    7/25/2012   7/31/2012
Review By: toucan2306
Pros: -What great scenery
-Unique shots you will never see anywhere else.
-Signs are very detailed to where the hole is compared to the tee.
Cons: -It can take upwards of 20 minutes to find the next tee.
-The map is not correct at the entrance of the course.
-No tee pads
Other Thoughts: My wife and I only made it through 12 holes on this course before marking it off our list as a waste. We walked around looking for tees more than we actually were able to play disc golf. The map being incorrect was frustrating and the signs were near impossible to see when put on the ground. The concept was fantastic and the holes were very well placed. I wish they could just put it all together and make it a great course.

< Prev 1 2 3