Portersville, PA
Moraine State Park Share
Uploaded By: zapplayer12 Hole #17 (Taken 9/2010)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

1    9/27/2020   9/27/2020
Review By: wolfhaley
Pros: Where to begin. I've had my eye on this course for a long time and finally got the chance to play it. It does not disappoint. I timed it up so it'd be my 500th course played, and first in Pennsylvania as well. I couldn't be happier with this decision. Beautiful park and the course is set in a disc golf exclusive section of the park. It wasn't too busy on a beautiful fall afternoon. Not sure if this the norm, I'd doubt it. But a very peaceful, enjoyable round.

The baskets are nice, new orange Mach X's. These stand out great under the mature tree canopy. Catch great too. These are some of the best baskets I've played on. I'm pretty sure every hole had 3 different pin placements. If not all, then nearly all of them. Offers good variety, especially for local players.

Tee pads are solid. At least the golds and blues. Both of these are nice and grippy concrete. All are level too. Can't really ask for much more from these. The white tees are rubber mats. I didn't play from these, and generally they're not my favorite, but it's better than natural/dirt pads. Three tee pads on every hole.

The course features undulating terrain pretty much all in the woods. A few start in the open before winding through a corridor of trees back into the trees. Besides the iconic hole 15. Overlooking the lake and playing downhill the whole way, 800 plus feet. It's so well known for a reason. Lots of elevation throughout. A few holes are pretty flat, or at least flattish. But not many. It seems like you always throwing up or downhill. Across a side slope, etc. Great variety in the hole design

All shots will be needed to suceed here. I have a garbage forehand and it cost me strokes numerous times, not being able to stretch out from behind a terrible lie and flick it into the fairway. Staying in the fairway is paramount here. A kick in either direction is almost certainly costing most players at least a stroke. There are 2 par 5's, 8 par 4's and 8 par 3's so there's a good mix of everything here.

The tee signs are very well done. Not the best I've ever seen but they have all the essential info on them. Hole #, par, all 3 pin positions, distances to all three pin locations in feet and meters. The locations of the other 2 tee pads on each hole and any applicable OB that may be present. The background is color coordinated for the tee it's for too.

The design of this course is top notch. One of the best I've played. At no point does it let up. You get to a par 3 after a couple tough par 4's and think it'll let up for a second. Nope. All the holes are challenging for the most part and the pars are set accordingly to reflect that.

Cons: A couple of the holes play near each other in a couple spots. If you use a map you should be alright. But it could be easy to walk the wrong way in a few spots if you're not careful or don't spot the next tee sign. Worth noting.

My main con is not having a way to show what pin is in play on a lot/most of the tee signs. With 3 pin positions per hole, and so many uphill, blind shots off the tee. It's mildly annoying not knowing where you're trying to throw. A few signs had them. A little metal piece with 3 holes in it, designated A, B or C. Then a bolt through the corresponding slot. But it wasn't on most. At least not the gold signs.

A couple of the holes felt a little poke and hope. Not many, but a few of them. A couple feet off the intended landing areas and you got a wall of trees in your way. I mean, if I had even a serviceable flick, maybe it wouldn't have been as noticable. But I'll throw one from time to time, and in a few places there was nothing but a pitch out.
Other Thoughts: This is probably one of my top 5 favorite courses played. Not probably, definitely. I'd recommend this course to anyone. It has tees that can suit pretty much every level of player, besides brand new players or children. But this is a championship caliber course, not a pitch and putt. So that should go without saying. I considered giving this one my first 5 disc rating. Really, really, really thought about it. I settled on a 4.5. It really is a phenomenal course. Closer to a 4.75 plus imo. Destination course. Go out of your way to play this one. You won't be disappointed. Like I said earlier, this is the first course I've played in this area, but there's supposed to be some other good to great ones nearby. I'll find out the next couple days. But if they're even half as good as this one it's still destination worthy.

Thank you sir, may I have another?

2-4    10/4/2019   11/20/2019
Review By: shyguy30
Pros: This review is based on a white-level player playing from the blue tees:

Concrete tee pads are spacious and grip well, baskets are all in good condition. Tee signs with pin location indicators on most holes (see cons). 3 pin placements on each hole.

Navigation is intuitive and there are plenty of signs to help out. I would still recommend having a map, but I say that about almost any course.

Moraine is well-kept but not manicured, and I think this adds to its character. Fairways are well-defined and rough is definitely rough. Thorns abound in the rough and there is poison ivy here and there throughout. The prairie grass can really hide some discs; we encountered it on hole #4 in particular. In short, this is not your mama's course and I like it that way!

There are some really cool hole designs here. I'm not a guy who falls in love that easily but I have to admit there are eight holes here that definitely make my list of favorites. (2,4,8,9,10,12,16,18) I didn't even mention the view from the top of the hill on 15. It is quite grand.

Natural beauty on this course is off the charts. Mature trees, rolling hills, grassy fairways, prairie grass rough, and Lake Arthur are all beautiful and the course is secluded enough that I felt like I was in my own little world.

Finally, hole variety is amazing. If you have a shot, this course will force you to throw it. Backhands, forehands, rollers, etc. It may even demand a shot you don't have. Great variety of hole distances as well as fairway shapes. I could go into detail but check out the hole info and pictures for the course instead.
Cons: Many of the tee signs either had no basket indicators or they were missing. With three tee pads and three basket locations per hole, I can see how this would be difficult to keep up with, but I think more than half were missing. This could lead to either some blind tee shots or a lot of extra walking. Some maps on the signs were misleading. For instance, #4 looked like it went to the right when it actually curved quite a bit to the left (to the B placement).

No garbage cans or restrooms on the course. There is a restroom and a garbage can near holes 1 and 18 but nothing in between. This is consistent with the character of the course mentioned in the pros section. You are out in nature and it is up to you to plan accordingly.

I'm not a big fan of hole 11. There isn't much of a line to the basket and it seems like the kind of hole that is an easy 3 but near impossible 2 for the intermediate player.

Risk of disc loss is moderate, and pretty high considering no water is in play. The aforementioned rough and prairie grass can swallow them up. My group of 6 lost 1 disc in 36 holes, so not too bad.
Other Thoughts: I am an intermediate level player at best. But when I go out it is to play disc golf, not to sit on benches or return to my car every few holes. Amenities are nice but completely unnecessary to me. I rate courses primarily on 3 factors; design, fun factor, and replay-ability.

Moraine is now in my top 3 courses, behind only Harmony Bends and Rollin' Ridge, and I'm considering moving it up to #2. I put it ahead of the Selah courses, Idlewild, Flip City, Bucksnort, etc. The golf is fantastic!! You are presented with risk/reward decisions at every turn and hole design is tremendously well done. I actually put off reviewing the course for a few weeks because I knew my 4.5 would drop its rating. I enjoyed this course that much.

Fun fact: Consumption of alcoholic beverages is strictly prohibited in Pennsylvania state parks. We had a tense few holes after one of the workers weed-eating brought that to our attention, especially when it seemed like the two folks with weed-eaters were following us for a few holes. Do yourself a favor and leave it in the car unless you are willing to risk a citation.

This course beat me up a little, but I couldn't wait to come back for more the next day rather than playing a different course. I regret that I won't be able to play it again for some time, as it is a long drive from home. If you are on the fence come to your senses and go play this course!

A course that lives up to the reputation

1    5/4/2019   5/6/2019
Review By: MrFrosty
This review was updated on 2/24/2020
Pros: I travel a lot and wrap my travels with a lot of disc golf , and had my eye on playing Moraine State Park for a long time . I had the course to myself ( started at 6:40 on a Saturday morning so I could take it all in ) the whole time . I pulled up to the parking area ( plenty of parking ) , noticing a nice kiosk , 2 practice baskets , place to drink or fill water bottles .The course sits off to itself , meaning that you should almost never see a non disc golfer on the course There are 3 tee pads per hole . The gold and blue tee pads have larger than normal cement tee pads that are grippy .Some crushed gravel is behind many of the tee pads .along with brooms , which are a nice touch . longer holes . The shorter ( white ) tee pad is a basic rubber . They can be slick when wet . Be careful .There are some benches behind the longer holes . The signage is great , showing the pads and the 3 possible pin positions per hole . The baskets are the newer Mach X that catch fantastic and are easy to see , which is a big plus since you are in the woods most of the time . 3 pin positions that supposedly change constantly , giving you a slightly different look each time The golds rate out at 1000 and blues 950 and it shows .This was the site of the 2015 Worlds . There are 2 par 5s 8 4s and 8 3s , I mixed some golds in with mostly blues , so I will evaluate from this . The course itself boasts elevation( 2,4,7,10 and especially 15 ) , tight but fair fairways , and a chance for some creativity . My advice would be to NOT gamble on throwing your air-it-out driver on these holes in order to make up for the distance . Accuracy is rewarded , and you will be punished a time ( or 5) for taking chances . There are a couple of streams the come into play that you might not see when throwing from the tee . There are also several out of bound areas that are roped off for added aggravation, but in a good way . There are only a couple of par 3's under 300 ft , most in the low to mid 300s . You will face a new challenge with every hole you play , but you will have a fun time doing it . My signature hole should come as no surprise : hole # 15 . a top of the world 847 ' downhill shot with a couple of trees in the fairway to keep your drive honest , to the basket with is on a long level area . A great picturesque view of the lake behind it .
Cons: You shouldn't need a map for this course , but print one anyway . I made a mistake going from 10 basket to 11 tee . This should be the only time you have to cross a tee pad to go to a tee pad . I teed off on 4 , thinking it was 11 .11 is visible as you walk down the path on your right , so remember to walk straight past the 4 tee pad another 120' or so .Only time I was confused . No trash bins on the course , so remember to carry out what you carry in .
Other Thoughts: The course design was superb , The flow was good , even though some walks were long ( a good thing . no one will hit you with an errant shot ) . Lots of care goes into this course , and it shows . I doubt that there is a better course in Pennsylvania than this . A destination course for sure and is going into my favorite course list as soon as I submit my review . My suggestion : The multiple tee pads and changing pin positions are going to be attractive to everyone . Drive Here And PLAY IT !

Moraine better than deer lakes

1    4/4/2019   4/8/2019
Review By: Elderarcane
Pros: Great location
Good mix of wooded to open holes.
Mach x baskets
Cons: A little hilly in some places
Several up hill shots
Other Thoughts: This is a great course at a great location! The view of the lake and surrounding area is amazing from the course. Everyone should put this course on their list to play!

Iconic Moraine - Epitome of Big Woods Golf

5+    8/5/2018   8/24/2018
Review By: armiller
Pros:
- woods distance golf doesn't get better than this; there are lines galore that reward controlled distance with little place for bombs away golf
- love the MachX baskets (new in past couple years) catching ability and visual appeal
- no mandos necessary; trees provide the shot restriction
- beautiful!
Cons:
- can find some ticks, spiders, and plenty of brambles ("bumble") off the fairway
- the only thing missing are water shots (not really a problem)
After watching 2015 Worlds videos, this course was on my radar and became one of the first courses on my wish list. This year I finally got to play it after moving to the region, including from Gold Tees during the PFDO. I love courses where the natural features are used to shape lines, and where mandos are entirely unnecessary. Moraine is the epitome of this kind of course. Here, there are enough elevation changes and beautiful, tall trees that the natural features provide all the shot-shaping challenge one could want. It's a long course that remains technical without being overly tight, hence my title of "Big Woods" golf. Fairways are wide enough that you can pick a line and hit it, with almost no poke and pray element but also with almost no open golf. Holes look and feel somewhat homogeneous, but without players feeling that anything was missing from the round.

I like good "deuce or die" par 3s, but I don't think this terrain is conducive to that kind of golf, and there are only a couple of those holes. The trees are too tall, the expanse too vast, and the fairways too wide for enough of these holes. Designers seemed to realize this, and the par 4s/5s are what make it so special. On the par 4s, especially, I like how variable the second shot can be. On other courses, there's often some kind of initial gap that leaves a similar shot for everyone that makes it. Here, 4 cardmates can all have decent tee shots but still have very different lines to the basket. Holes like 6, 8, 12, 14, and even 18 are good examples. Pick your desired landing zone and your line from the tee, but you'll still need a lot of possible shots to get to the pin. You name the type of shot, and you'll be able to use it out here. Particularly after my tournament here, I came to view Moraine as a worthy foe. It's rare for par 5s to be so hard to birdie, and par felt great for both the par 5s (#6 & #16).

I found I almost never needed my highest speed drivers. Discs like my Teebird and Undertaker get a lot of air time, and I rarely find myself throwing discs over speed 10. When I do, I often regret the decision and should have gone with control.

Even if you can't make it out here, be thankful you can drool over many recorded rounds, e.g. 2017 Pittsburgh Flying Disc Open, 2015 Worlds. They're all enjoyable to watch and do a decent job showcasing Moraine. That said, there's no substitute for being here in person, and the course has always been in impeccable shape when I've been here over the past few months. I routinely notice improvements in the rough or other course features (lines along OB, etc.) even during casual rounds. Pittsburgh Flying Disc (along with others) takes proud ownership of this course and the TLC shows. I got to play one round with J Gary Dropcho (a local legend and TD of 2015 Worlds), and I regret not asking him more about Moraine's history.

As far as the park, getting to Moraine is easy despite a bit of a trek. It's easiest to look up "Lakeview Disc Golf Course" on Google maps, as it's on the north shore, away from the main park entrance. There's no park entry fee, though there may be a fee for camping. The course is right by a park beach, so a dip is a very good idea after a long round (or two). It's been beautiful every time I've played, even with some light rain on a couple rounds. You're likely to encounter some deer, wild turkeys, or other local fauna, and every time out here is restorative for the body and mind.

Rating: I struggled a bit to pick a number for Moraine, and would have liked to give a 4.75 (in between Phenomenal and Best of the Best). It's undoubtedly one of the best courses I've played, a can't miss course for any disc golfer, and one of disc golf's most iconic. I aired on the side of generosity, and Moraine certainly represents the Best of the Best for what it is.

Fantastic!

1    8/13/2018   8/14/2018
Review By: LeftyRob
Pros: What a fantastic course! Well worth the drive down from Canada! I've been waiting to play this course for quite a while, and it lived up to expectations. So many great qualities to find all at one course. Elevation changes, both throwing uphill (2 & 4) and downhill (18th). Very tight fairways. Bomber hole that narrows to the basket( 15th).Dog-leg left (11th) and dog-leg right (10th). Incredibly tree obstructed fairways( 6th). And many having combinations of two or more of these features.
Three different teepads for each hole, as well as three different basket positions!
Good signage at each of the tee positions, and the course seemed to flow nicely from one hole to the next, So even though in a few spots there were signs indicating the direction of the next tee, I would have been fine without them. A good shot was rewarded, and a bad shot was pretty well eaten up by the rough. Happy I got out of Dodge with all the discs I showed up with! A good mix of holes in the woods and open-air shots. Bring your roller disc too. There are a couple of holes that it was a necessity.
Cons: No issues with the course itself at all ! The only thing that would be helpful would be some sort of indication at the teepads of which of the three basket positions is in use. There were a couple of occasions that I had to walk out to see the basket because the difference in location would definitely matter to the shot. Maybe a clothespin on the teepad sign could be used.
Other Thoughts: Amazing place for a round. If you can get around without a cart, give it a try. The ground was very "rooty" and there were spots I wished I had just carried my bag (I"ll know for next time). Plenty of parking, a couple of practice baskets to warm up, and lots of other facilities if you're spending the day. My favorite place to play is Cliff Stephens in the Tampa area, but with this totally different style of course, I think I now have co-favorites!

Great course for any level

5+    7/17/2018   7/23/2018
Review By: LDHagen
Pros: Great, grassy fairways throughout most of the wooded course. Three tee-pads on each hole with three basket positions per hole as well. Gold pads provide very high level difficulty while the front pads provide a challenging yet fair level of play. Same as the basket positions, many of the holes can almost play half or a full stroke different dependent on the spot. Overall, very well maintained. It is also very easy to access 3-5 places on the coiurse from parking lots, which is great if you wish to start at 1 or somewhere else in the course.
Cons: Sometimes if the grass gets too high, it can take out rollers, which are often the best options on several holes.
Other Thoughts: This is the best course I have ever played. I love the atmosphere here and feel it really anchors the courses in western Pennsylvania.

The Kitchen Sink

1    6/10/2018   6/10/2018
Review By: Blobfish
Pros: I'm referring to Moraine as "the Kitchen Sink" because this course throws it all at you... in a great way. It has:
+Crazy distance holes there's an 840 ft (blue tee) par 5 (hole 6) and
+Their marquee vista "lakeview" hole #15 which is a downhill 756 ft par 4.
+Challenging uphill holes
+Lots of trees

But that's just the holes themselves.
What makes this course truly stand out are the other amenities:
+Really nice long concrete tee pads (I played in the pouring down rain, and I thought I was going to play the white tees, but those aren't concrete, but some rubberized pad... slipped and fell while driving hole 1, so I switched to the blue tees and they are fantastic)
+Tees often have brooms to sweep away debris
+Tees have indicators to identify the pin positions. These are on the blue tee. They are a bright orange bolt that fits into slot A, B, or C. Since some of the holes are way far off around a corner, this was especially helpful
+Tee signs are very clear and well maintained
+Mach X baskets are great baskets and they are painted bright hunter orange for high visibility
+Signs for OB or for next hole are ample and visibly posted
+Fairways are kept nice, but the rough is rough as it should be
+Bathrooms are not far away
+Ample parking
+Practice baskets on the other side of parking lot
Cons: I don't know what to put here because this course exceeded every expectation I ever had for a disc golf course. Perhaps the lack of a concrete pad on the white tees... but really, I don't have any cons. I played in the pouring down rain and loved every second of it.
I guess if I had to be really nitpicky, I would say that it doesn't have a water hazard (beyond a couple OB streams), but there's no big pond or anything to throw over, despite being right alongside Lake Arthur. This isn't a big enough reason to lower it from 5 stars though.
Other Thoughts: I have wanted to play the full Moraine Lakeview course ever since I came up here for the 2016 Ace Race, and it didn't disappoint. It taught me a lot about my own game and the shots I need to practice.
Playing in the rain, I learned the necessity of having a towel, especially if you're throwing Discraft elite-Z or Innova champion plastic.
This course requires really good disc and/or throw selection. I'm used to throwing a lot of the same shots over and over, but at Moraine, I needed to do a lot of thinking and I used more than my typical 2-3 discs per round. I ended up using the following:
Crank
Heat
Spectra
Mantis
Hornet
Archer
Roach
Challenger

I mention this because I ordinarily use my Buzzz very frequently (and not at all today!) whereas I rarely get an opportunity to throw my crank or spectra and I seldom have a need for my hornet or the archer, but today I found myself in so many tight situations that I felt like I needed the fade on the hornet or the understability of the archer to make my shot.
I ended up +9 on the round... DGCR gives that a rating of 853 and I mention that only to give you some reference of my perspective for this course.
I was blown away by this course. I really can't wait to come back and play it again.

Must Play

1    4/12/2018   4/16/2018
Review By: Horsman
Pros: I only played from the Gold tees so my review is based on that.

- Some of the best if not the best Tees I have ever played off of in my life. They were long and had great brushed concrete. Since Im very tall I enjoy seeing a long teepad and these were just perfect.

- At the back of most tee pads they had crushed gravel so even if it was wet and muddy there was no sign of it at the back of the teepad.

- Mach X baskets. I dont think I need to explain these but they catch better then 99% of basket out there. They are also painted orange so they are easy to spot from a good distance away.

- Teesigns were on every tee and were clearly marked for all pin locations. I wish there would have been a pin indicator on each tee but it wasnt that hard to figure out which position they were in.

- I played in the morning after a rain storm and the course showed little signs of rain. There was hardly any mud which was a surprise to me. So I assume this course drains very well.

- The course had clearly marked OB with signs and string line to clearly mark OB. There was never a question if you were OB or not.

- There were next tee markers that were close to each basket so that made navigating the course very easy.

- This is a perfect style of course. It was in the dense woods but had more than fair fairways. I think hole 8 was the only hole I thought could have had a more fair fairway but other then that, it was all perfect.

- The course had a very good mix of par 3's, 4's and 5's. I very so thought that par on every hole was the perfect par for that hole.

- I had to use almost every disc in my bag to complete this course and to me that a good sign that the course designers did a very good job. You had to throw a good mix of full power shots, finesse shots, forehands, backhands, pretty much everything. Every tool I had, I used.

Cons: - The road leading to the parking lot was closed so Im not sure if the course was even open yet for the season but I couldnt find anything on the internet telling me it was closed. I had to start on hole 6 because of this but that wasnt too much of a problem.
Other Thoughts: I absolutely loved this course and would recommend this course to anybody who is going to be in the area. This is in my top courses now and I dont think that is going to change for a long time.

Awesome

5+    8/26/2017   10/18/2017
Review By: Jmk5704
Pros: Fantastic course, great variety in all areas, easy to navigate, well thought out course, I have been there several times and it's always clean.
Cons: The rough is way to rough, and the tee signs leave a little to be desired, you have to walk over the fair way of 4 between 10 and 11

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9