Portersville, PA
Moraine State Park Share
Uploaded By: Brall Hole #6 (Taken 7/2011)
Hole #6 Gold Tee Sign

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
The Kitchen Sink

1    6/10/2018   6/10/2018
Review By: Indy
Pros: I'm referring to Moraine as "the Kitchen Sink" because this course throws it all at you... in a great way. It has:
+Crazy distance holes there's an 840 ft (blue tee) par 5 (hole 6) and
+Their marquee vista "lakeview" hole #15 which is a downhill 756 ft par 4.
+Challenging uphill holes
+Lots of trees

But that's just the holes themselves.
What makes this course truly stand out are the other amenities:
+Really nice long concrete tee pads (I played in the pouring down rain, and I thought I was going to play the white tees, but those aren't concrete, but some rubberized pad... slipped and fell while driving hole 1, so I switched to the blue tees and they are fantastic)
+Tees often have brooms to sweep away debris
+Tees have indicators to identify the pin positions. These are on the blue tee. They are a bright orange bolt that fits into slot A, B, or C. Since some of the holes are way far off around a corner, this was especially helpful
+Tee signs are very clear and well maintained
+Mach X baskets are great baskets and they are painted bright hunter orange for high visibility
+Signs for OB or for next hole are ample and visibly posted
+Fairways are kept nice, but the rough is rough as it should be
+Bathrooms are not far away
+Ample parking
+Practice baskets on the other side of parking lot
Cons: I don't know what to put here because this course exceeded every expectation I ever had for a disc golf course. Perhaps the lack of a concrete pad on the white tees... but really, I don't have any cons. I played in the pouring down rain and loved every second of it.
I guess if I had to be really nitpicky, I would say that it doesn't have a water hazard (beyond a couple OB streams), but there's no big pond or anything to throw over, despite being right alongside Lake Arthur. This isn't a big enough reason to lower it from 5 stars though.
Other Thoughts: I have wanted to play the full Moraine Lakeview course ever since I came up here for the 2016 Ace Race, and it didn't disappoint. It taught me a lot about my own game and the shots I need to practice.
Playing in the rain, I learned the necessity of having a towel, especially if you're throwing Discraft elite-Z or Innova champion plastic.
This course requires really good disc and/or throw selection. I'm used to throwing a lot of the same shots over and over, but at Moraine, I needed to do a lot of thinking and I used more than my typical 2-3 discs per round. I ended up using the following:
Crank
Heat
Spectra
Mantis
Hornet
Archer
Roach
Challenger

I mention this because I ordinarily use my Buzzz very frequently (and not at all today!) whereas I rarely get an opportunity to throw my crank or spectra and I seldom have a need for my hornet or the archer, but today I found myself in so many tight situations that I felt like I needed the fade on the hornet or the understability of the archer to make my shot.
I ended up +9 on the round... DGCR gives that a rating of 853 and I mention that only to give you some reference of my perspective for this course.
I was blown away by this course. I really can't wait to come back and play it again.

Must Play

1    4/12/2018   4/16/2018
Review By: Horsman
Pros: I only played from the Gold tees so my review is based on that.

- Some of the best if not the best Tees I have ever played off of in my life. They were long and had great brushed concrete. Since Im very tall I enjoy seeing a long teepad and these were just perfect.

- At the back of most tee pads they had crushed gravel so even if it was wet and muddy there was no sign of it at the back of the teepad.

- Mach X baskets. I dont think I need to explain these but they catch better then 99% of basket out there. They are also painted orange so they are easy to spot from a good distance away.

- Teesigns were on every tee and were clearly marked for all pin locations. I wish there would have been a pin indicator on each tee but it wasnt that hard to figure out which position they were in.

- I played in the morning after a rain storm and the course showed little signs of rain. There was hardly any mud which was a surprise to me. So I assume this course drains very well.

- The course had clearly marked OB with signs and string line to clearly mark OB. There was never a question if you were OB or not.

- There were next tee markers that were close to each basket so that made navigating the course very easy.

- This is a perfect style of course. It was in the dense woods but had more than fair fairways. I think hole 8 was the only hole I thought could have had a more fair fairway but other then that, it was all perfect.

- The course had a very good mix of par 3's, 4's and 5's. I very so thought that par on every hole was the perfect par for that hole.

- I had to use almost every disc in my bag to complete this course and to me that a good sign that the course designers did a very good job. You had to throw a good mix of full power shots, finesse shots, forehands, backhands, pretty much everything. Every tool I had, I used.

Cons: - The road leading to the parking lot was closed so Im not sure if the course was even open yet for the season but I couldnt find anything on the internet telling me it was closed. I had to start on hole 6 because of this but that wasnt too much of a problem.
Other Thoughts: I absolutely loved this course and would recommend this course to anybody who is going to be in the area. This is in my top courses now and I dont think that is going to change for a long time.

Awesome

5+    8/26/2017   10/18/2017
Review By: Jmk5704
Pros: Fantastic course, great variety in all areas, easy to navigate, well thought out course, I have been there several times and it's always clean.
Cons: The rough is way to rough, and the tee signs leave a little to be desired, you have to walk over the fair way of 4 between 10 and 11

Shattered My Expectations

1    9/29/2017   9/29/2017
Review By: DiscinOhio
Pros: Where do I even begin... I guess I'll intro the course.

So Moraine State Park (AKA Lakeview DGC) is a beautiful public course that is set right in the middle of this beautiful treasure of a park. Rolling hills, dense woodlands, a large lake, and of course, an abundance of wildlife. This is the most beautiful course I've played so far.

After taking the exit on to North Shore Dr. you know you're in for a real treat. Winding roads guide you towards the heaven of Pennsylvania disc golf.

Very nice kiosk with an information board, trash can, etc. There is plenty of parking here for large tournaments.

Each hole has three concrete tee pads for the Blues and Golds. The white tees have very nice rubber material.

After my first drive hit a tree and shot deep into the wilderness, I expected a 20 minute search through thorns, underbrush, etc. That was not the case! The clearing of the rough here is the best I've seen. It's really tough to lose a disc to an errant shot.

There is a terrific custom tee sign for each individual tee pad. They're customized just for that specific tee, so you don't have the distances of all tees on one sign. They're also very descriptive.

Forces use to use about every shot you have. Each hole stands a part from the other, and offers a hole different set of challenges.

#9 has a sign and path directing you to the parking lot if you only wanted to play 9 holes.

One big thing I took away from Moraine was that it wasn't overly difficult. I was expecting to get absolutely slaughtered here, but it was really a calm, enjoyable round.

Course is maintained very well. I don't think I saw a single piece of trash the entire round.

The extra signage here really sets this course apart from the rest I've played. Long holes have metal distance marking signs every 100 feet. There's OB signs everywhere with rope marking each hazard. These are quality metal signs, not the cheap stuff.

Most holes have a broom at the tee box, I thought that was a nice touch.

Elevation is used really well here. Not too many exhausting Hills to walk up and down, but there are a few that come into play.

Lots of variation in terms of distances. Very well designed.

#15 was a great view, and one of the best holes I've ever played. You could see the Lake and rolling hills in the distance. Long, downhill shot that gives you a break from the woods.
Cons: I'll pick on a few minor things;

I'd like to see something on each tee sign that indicates what the current pin position is. Idlewild has something like that.

I was kind of expecting the Lake to come into play at some point, but it never did.

It's tucked right in the middle of the massive park, so it takes a while to get to the course itself.

All of the creeks were dried up when I played, so I didn't get that part of the experience. Out of anyone's control, obviously.
Other Thoughts: I haven't typed up a review this long, and I probably won't do it again. Moraine State Park made me want to set up camp right by the first tee and live here forever, it's just that damn good.

It's hard to say a course rated 4.6 is underrated, but I'm going to say it. Moraine is underrated.

This place is easily deserving of a top 5 spot. The beauty, challenge, and fun here is overwhelming, and really made me smile. I'll take the two hour drive any day, it was well worth it.

Best of the Best!

2-4    5/4/2017   9/4/2017
Review By: Superpolski
Pros: Truly is the best of the best! A championship level course inside Moraine State Park. This course is not a beginner friendly but has a set of short tees for easier play. It also has a set of long concrete tee pads which allows all skill levels to be challenged. It requires a variety of technical shots to score well. Hole 15 is the signature hole of this course which has been used to film the PDGA's commercial. There are some holes that have roped areas which are OB but getting off the fairways will produce a natural OB. Great course design with multiple pin locations makes this challenging course even longer and harder.
Cons: Absolutely nothing.
Other Thoughts: This course is in my top ten must play courses! Very beautiful and scenic property. I live in another state and have traveled there to play a tournament. I was not disappointed.

home of 2015 PDGA Worlds

1    8/10/2017   8/10/2017
Review By: globetrotter
This review was updated on 11/26/2017
Other Thoughts: Moraine is an excellent course set in a mature woods with a mix on two-shot holes and long and short par threes. There are some tighter shots, but most of the fairways are well defined and leave room for shot shaping. There are some open holes as well. Every hole has a unique feel and challenge. There are opportunities to gain strokes through intelligent, controlled play and also by making big, aggressive shots, including an excellent risk reward shot on Hole 18.

The tees and tee signs are showing their age (but still do the job), and it would be great to have multiple baskets, but really this is just an excellent course.

It is kind of in the middle of nowhere, but it's definitely worth making the trip.

2-4    10/22/2017   2/16/2017
Review By: Mark R
This review was updated on 12/15/2017
Pros: Top shelf Western Pennsylvania disc golf. Has a seemingly endless procession of forested tunnel holes that are tons of fun, with a few trees here and there to provide a multitude of throw routes. Many of these holes have compound fairways requiring well-placed drives for carefully calculated upshots. The best of these include Hole 4, with a fairly steep uphill drive leading to an angling, flat, straight but narrow fairway; Hole 6, a 928' flat, fairly wide and straight grassy fairway with plenty (but not too many) tree hazards; Hole 7, featuring a downhill dogleg left drive to a beautiful green; and Hole 12, a long and challenging left-bending drive through a grassy tunnel leading to a basket protected by rows of tall trees. Holes 5 and 14 feature subtly undulated, straight drives with multiple shot paths around narrow lines of trees. Hole 15 differs from the other holes with a wide-open hilltop drive leading to a right-bending fairway which leads to downhill to another large and beautiful green near a large reservoir lake.

Plenty of challenge at this course, with three layouts ranging from 6105' to 8550' feet. Despite the length and challenge, it is not insurmountable by intermediate level players, even from the Gold tees.
Cons: Holes 1 and 18 are nice, forested creek bed holes, but aren't quite up to the standards set by the rest of the course. Watch for roped-off out-of-bounds low lying areas on these holes. Hole 13 is a shorty through tall trees which could also be described as a filler hole. Hole 15, though visually epic, would likely be a painful effort in high winds. Some holes would likely have disc-swallowing rough during some parts of the year.

Unlike the other premier courses in this region, this course is located in a remote state park forest which requires a long meandering drive from the nearest highway exits, which can dissipate some positive energy before reaching the first hole. No nearby stores for snacks, drinks or discs.
Other Thoughts: This course along with Deer Lakes Park and Knob Hill stakes a claim for Western Pennsylvania being one of the world's best disc golf destinations. Unlike those two courses, which are some miles to the South in steeper major river valley hills, Moraine State Park is topographically more similar to upper Midwest courses with more meadow-like holes.

Remarkably consistent throughout, this course has a minimum of lesser holes and keeps you engaged all of the way through. Mentioned as a favorite by none other than pro Steve Rico and others, this great course belongs on your disc golf bucket list.

Best I have played

5+    10/19/2016   10/20/2016
Review By: Jcmb
This review was updated on 10/15/2017
Pros: Challenging. Easy to navigate. Well maintained. Offers different pin positions and multiple tees. A good mix of easy and very difficult holes. Beautiful course in a nice park. Has lines for different shots on many holes.
Cons: Trees are brutal for beginners. Heavy brush off of fairways.
Other Thoughts: Play this all the time and its my favorite of all the local courses.

Worthy of the 2015 Worlds

2-4    8/21/2016   8/22/2016
Review By: toddnick
Pros: - Well manicured and litter free
- Very nice, descriptive tee signs
- Excellent concrete pads for multiple tees
- Mix of hyzer/anhyzer lines
- Variety of hole length, shorter holes give relief from more challenging holes
- Mix of wooded, semi-wooded and wide open bomber holes
- Comes back somewhat close to parking lot after 9 holes
- Course is isolated from other activities in the Park
- Wonderful use of elevation
- Several great holes (2, 4, 6, 12, 13, 15, 16, 18).
Cons: - Some noise from local highway is noticeable throughout the course
- A few holes that felt like filler (3, 5, 11)
- Not as many memorable basket placements as other courses, missed opportunity here

Other Thoughts: - Played on Friday morning, Saturday afternoon and Sunday early morning...never had more than about 5 or 6 other groups on the course...I was pleasantly surprised....
- Tremendous course and worth traveling to (I did a Pittsburgh disc golf weekend from Buffalo, NY)...played this course 4 times in 3 days and never lost interest)...
- 15 and 16 are just tremendous back-to-back holes...despite the length of #15, I made 5 each time, but never got better than 6 on the somewhat shorter but grueling uphill through trees #16...
- I would like to give this course 4.75 stars; better than a 4.5 course but slightly preferred Deer Lakes over the weekend, so I can't give this one a 5...

Pittsburgh Pride

5+    5/18/2018   7/10/2016
Review By: jjtwinnova
This review was updated on 5/31/2018
Pros: Moraine State Park is the perfect place for a disc golf course. Mature trees, Rolling hills, scenic views. When matched with a world class design and spectacular amenities, Moraine State Park takes disc golf up a notch.

To start, there is a complete variety of challenges. Holes that require shot shaping to the right, shot shaping to the left, throwing uphill, throwing downhill. There is so many different shots to throw, you will never throw the same shot twice when you play this course.

Each hole has three tees, two concrete and a shorter rubber tee. The Golds are insanely difficult, and challenge the best pros across the World. However, for mortals who want the best experience, the Blue Tees encompass what this course is, and takes a score of only par to play 900 rated golf.

As of recent, the course replaced the Discraft Chainstars that were put in place for 2015 Worlds, and put in bright Orange Mach X baskets, which are, in my opinion, one of the top baskets. The course has three pin positions per hole, and the baskets are changed frequently, so locals never get the same course twice.

Hole 15 is the signature hole of Moraine State Park, the signature hole of Pittsburgh, and quite possibly the most signature hole in disc golf, well recognized from the PDGA commercial, with Paul throwing over the trees with the gorgeous lake in the background. A beautiful downhill drive, forcing either a layup giving a difficult approach, or a long drive to play for an easier upshot.
Cons: This course is easily a course that should make your must play list. There is such variation, beauty, and uniqueness to make this a destination.

The short tees could be concrete, as they get slippery, and are harder to play on for wet tournaments.

This is a wooded course, so you will not have a super wide open hole other than hole 15, and most holes require controlled distance, not grip it and rip it distance.

There are a few par 3's that don't meet the standards of the rest of the course, but are still great holes. Just not absolutely fantastic.
Other Thoughts: Moraine State Park is one of the best courses in my repertoire, and I am lucky to have it as the course I play the second most. I have ran a tournament here, helped install the new baskets, and put in countless hours of work. However, when put up against the other great courses I have played, not much can compare.

Play this course!