Portersville, PA
Moraine State Park Share
Uploaded By: Dr_Johnson Hole #16 (Taken 7/2015)
Hole #16 Blue Tee Sign

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Must Play

1    4/12/2018   4/16/2018
Review By: Horsman
Pros: I only played from the Gold tees so my review is based on that.

- Some of the best if not the best Tees I have ever played off of in my life. They were long and had great brushed concrete. Since Im very tall I enjoy seeing a long teepad and these were just perfect.

- At the back of most tee pads they had crushed gravel so even if it was wet and muddy there was no sign of it at the back of the teepad.

- Mach X baskets. I dont think I need to explain these but they catch better then 99% of basket out there. They are also painted orange so they are easy to spot from a good distance away.

- Teesigns were on every tee and were clearly marked for all pin locations. I wish there would have been a pin indicator on each tee but it wasnt that hard to figure out which position they were in.

- I played in the morning after a rain storm and the course showed little signs of rain. There was hardly any mud which was a surprise to me. So I assume this course drains very well.

- The course had clearly marked OB with signs and string line to clearly mark OB. There was never a question if you were OB or not.

- There were next tee markers that were close to each basket so that made navigating the course very easy.

- This is a perfect style of course. It was in the dense woods but had more than fair fairways. I think hole 8 was the only hole I thought could have had a more fair fairway but other then that, it was all perfect.

- The course had a very good mix of par 3's, 4's and 5's. I very so thought that par on every hole was the perfect par for that hole.

- I had to use almost every disc in my bag to complete this course and to me that a good sign that the course designers did a very good job. You had to throw a good mix of full power shots, finesse shots, forehands, backhands, pretty much everything. Every tool I had, I used.

Cons: - The road leading to the parking lot was closed so Im not sure if the course was even open yet for the season but I couldnt find anything on the internet telling me it was closed. I had to start on hole 6 because of this but that wasnt too much of a problem.
Other Thoughts: I absolutely loved this course and would recommend this course to anybody who is going to be in the area. This is in my top courses now and I dont think that is going to change for a long time.

Awesome

5+    8/26/2017   10/18/2017
Review By: Jmk5704
Pros: Fantastic course, great variety in all areas, easy to navigate, well thought out course, I have been there several times and it's always clean.
Cons: The rough is way to rough, and the tee signs leave a little to be desired, you have to walk over the fair way of 4 between 10 and 11

Shattered My Expectations

1    9/29/2017   9/29/2017
Review By: DiscinOhio
Pros: Where do I even begin... I guess I'll intro the course.

So Moraine State Park (AKA Lakeview DGC) is a beautiful public course that is set right in the middle of this beautiful treasure of a park. Rolling hills, dense woodlands, a large lake, and of course, an abundance of wildlife. This is the most beautiful course I've played so far.

After taking the exit on to North Shore Dr. you know you're in for a real treat. Winding roads guide you towards the heaven of Pennsylvania disc golf.

Very nice kiosk with an information board, trash can, etc. There is plenty of parking here for large tournaments.

Each hole has three concrete tee pads for the Blues and Golds. The white tees have very nice rubber material.

After my first drive hit a tree and shot deep into the wilderness, I expected a 20 minute search through thorns, underbrush, etc. That was not the case! The clearing of the rough here is the best I've seen. It's really tough to lose a disc to an errant shot.

There is a terrific custom tee sign for each individual tee pad. They're customized just for that specific tee, so you don't have the distances of all tees on one sign. They're also very descriptive.

Forces use to use about every shot you have. Each hole stands a part from the other, and offers a hole different set of challenges.

#9 has a sign and path directing you to the parking lot if you only wanted to play 9 holes.

One big thing I took away from Moraine was that it wasn't overly difficult. I was expecting to get absolutely slaughtered here, but it was really a calm, enjoyable round.

Course is maintained very well. I don't think I saw a single piece of trash the entire round.

The extra signage here really sets this course apart from the rest I've played. Long holes have metal distance marking signs every 100 feet. There's OB signs everywhere with rope marking each hazard. These are quality metal signs, not the cheap stuff.

Most holes have a broom at the tee box, I thought that was a nice touch.

Elevation is used really well here. Not too many exhausting Hills to walk up and down, but there are a few that come into play.

Lots of variation in terms of distances. Very well designed.

#15 was a great view, and one of the best holes I've ever played. You could see the Lake and rolling hills in the distance. Long, downhill shot that gives you a break from the woods.
Cons: I'll pick on a few minor things;

I'd like to see something on each tee sign that indicates what the current pin position is. Idlewild has something like that.

I was kind of expecting the Lake to come into play at some point, but it never did.

It's tucked right in the middle of the massive park, so it takes a while to get to the course itself.

All of the creeks were dried up when I played, so I didn't get that part of the experience. Out of anyone's control, obviously.
Other Thoughts: I haven't typed up a review this long, and I probably won't do it again. Moraine State Park made me want to set up camp right by the first tee and live here forever, it's just that damn good.

It's hard to say a course rated 4.6 is underrated, but I'm going to say it. Moraine is underrated.

This place is easily deserving of a top 5 spot. The beauty, challenge, and fun here is overwhelming, and really made me smile. I'll take the two hour drive any day, it was well worth it.

Best of the Best!

2-4    5/4/2017   9/4/2017
Review By: Superpolski
Pros: Truly is the best of the best! A championship level course inside Moraine State Park. This course is not a beginner friendly but has a set of short tees for easier play. It also has a set of long concrete tee pads which allows all skill levels to be challenged. It requires a variety of technical shots to score well. Hole 15 is the signature hole of this course which has been used to film the PDGA's commercial. There are some holes that have roped areas which are OB but getting off the fairways will produce a natural OB. Great course design with multiple pin locations makes this challenging course even longer and harder.
Cons: Absolutely nothing.
Other Thoughts: This course is in my top ten must play courses! Very beautiful and scenic property. I live in another state and have traveled there to play a tournament. I was not disappointed.

home of 2015 PDGA Worlds

1    8/10/2017   8/10/2017
Review By: globetrotter
This review was updated on 11/26/2017
Other Thoughts: Moraine is an excellent course set in a mature woods with a mix on two-shot holes and long and short par threes. There are some tighter shots, but most of the fairways are well defined and leave room for shot shaping. There are some open holes as well. Every hole has a unique feel and challenge. There are opportunities to gain strokes through intelligent, controlled play and also by making big, aggressive shots, including an excellent risk reward shot on Hole 18.

The tees and tee signs are showing their age (but still do the job), and it would be great to have multiple baskets, but really this is just an excellent course.

It is kind of in the middle of nowhere, but it's definitely worth making the trip.

2-4    10/22/2017   2/16/2017
Review By: Mark R
This review was updated on 12/15/2017
Pros: Top shelf Western Pennsylvania disc golf. Has a seemingly endless procession of forested tunnel holes that are tons of fun, with a few trees here and there to provide a multitude of throw routes. Many of these holes have compound fairways requiring well-placed drives for carefully calculated upshots. The best of these include Hole 4, with a fairly steep uphill drive leading to an angling, flat, straight but narrow fairway; Hole 6, a 928' flat, fairly wide and straight grassy fairway with plenty (but not too many) tree hazards; Hole 7, featuring a downhill dogleg left drive to a beautiful green; and Hole 12, a long and challenging left-bending drive through a grassy tunnel leading to a basket protected by rows of tall trees. Holes 5 and 14 feature subtly undulated, straight drives with multiple shot paths around narrow lines of trees. Hole 15 differs from the other holes with a wide-open hilltop drive leading to a right-bending fairway which leads to downhill to another large and beautiful green near a large reservoir lake.

Plenty of challenge at this course, with three layouts ranging from 6105' to 8550' feet. Despite the length and challenge, it is not insurmountable by intermediate level players, even from the Gold tees.
Cons: Holes 1 and 18 are nice, forested creek bed holes, but aren't quite up to the standards set by the rest of the course. Watch for roped-off out-of-bounds low lying areas on these holes. Hole 13 is a shorty through tall trees which could also be described as a filler hole. Hole 15, though visually epic, would likely be a painful effort in high winds. Some holes would likely have disc-swallowing rough during some parts of the year.

Unlike the other premier courses in this region, this course is located in a remote state park forest which requires a long meandering drive from the nearest highway exits, which can dissipate some positive energy before reaching the first hole. No nearby stores for snacks, drinks or discs.
Other Thoughts: This course along with Deer Lakes Park and Knob Hill stakes a claim for Western Pennsylvania being one of the world's best disc golf destinations. Unlike those two courses, which are some miles to the South in steeper major river valley hills, Moraine State Park is topographically more similar to upper Midwest courses with more meadow-like holes.

Remarkably consistent throughout, this course has a minimum of lesser holes and keeps you engaged all of the way through. Mentioned as a favorite by none other than pro Steve Rico and others, this great course belongs on your disc golf bucket list.

Best I have played

5+    10/19/2016   10/20/2016
Review By: Jcmb
This review was updated on 10/15/2017
Pros: Challenging. Easy to navigate. Well maintained. Offers different pin positions and multiple tees. A good mix of easy and very difficult holes. Beautiful course in a nice park. Has lines for different shots on many holes.
Cons: Trees are brutal for beginners. Heavy brush off of fairways.
Other Thoughts: Play this all the time and its my favorite of all the local courses.

Worthy of the 2015 Worlds

2-4    8/21/2016   8/22/2016
Review By: toddnick
Pros: - Well manicured and litter free
- Very nice, descriptive tee signs
- Excellent concrete pads for multiple tees
- Mix of hyzer/anhyzer lines
- Variety of hole length, shorter holes give relief from more challenging holes
- Mix of wooded, semi-wooded and wide open bomber holes
- Comes back somewhat close to parking lot after 9 holes
- Course is isolated from other activities in the Park
- Wonderful use of elevation
- Several great holes (2, 4, 6, 12, 13, 15, 16, 18).
Cons: - Some noise from local highway is noticeable throughout the course
- A few holes that felt like filler (3, 5, 11)
- Not as many memorable basket placements as other courses, missed opportunity here

Other Thoughts: - Played on Friday morning, Saturday afternoon and Sunday early morning...never had more than about 5 or 6 other groups on the course...I was pleasantly surprised....
- Tremendous course and worth traveling to (I did a Pittsburgh disc golf weekend from Buffalo, NY)...played this course 4 times in 3 days and never lost interest)...
- 15 and 16 are just tremendous back-to-back holes...despite the length of #15, I made 5 each time, but never got better than 6 on the somewhat shorter but grueling uphill through trees #16...
- I would like to give this course 4.75 stars; better than a 4.5 course but slightly preferred Deer Lakes over the weekend, so I can't give this one a 5...

Pittsburgh Pride

5+    7/6/2016   7/10/2016
Review By: jjtwinnova
This review was updated on 6/3/2017
Pros: The course is a great, championship style, breathtaking course. It has a large variety of different shots to challenge even the best players. With two par 5's, and a good mix of par 4's and 3's, this course is not a short pitch and putt. It has a few bomber holes (i.e. 15) and some technical holes (i.e. 13) that test everybody. The baskets are discraft Chainstars less than a year old (as of July 2016)
Hole by hole:
1. Short Par 3 with a gateway arch of trees on the left side.
2. Uphill wooded par 4 with an OB creek by the basket, providing trouble with a bad upshot
3. Short Par 3 to 3 pin positions surrounding an OB ditch in the ground with trees to knock discs down into the pit of death. (Discs can be retrieved)
4. Uphill par 4 with a dogleg right and trees scattering the fairway
5. Par 3 that depending on pin can fade left or right with trees guarding a straight approach forcing a hyzer/anny
6. Long Par 5 with trees all down the middle and a thick rough along the edges forcing well executed shots the whole way
7. Downhill par 3 fading left at an open basket with a line over top for rhbh hyzers and a tough straight line for lefties
8. Par 4 with a tough first gap leading to a basket on the right
9. Par 3 that starts out open into a wooded green
10. Par 4 that will require a straight drive through the woods then to a dogleg left uphill.
11. Par 3 with trees around the green. Probably the worst hole on the course. Slightly uphill.
12. Dogleg right starting in the open going to a wooded uphill climb to the basket.
13. Tight as all get out par 3 forcing a well executed straight shot.
14. Par 4 through the woods that will lead to one of teh best holes in disc golf.
15. Par 4 Downhill bomber looking over the lake with an OB road left, trees right and left after the road. OB wooded patch right of fairway at the approach point. Requires distance and accuracy to reach the green at the base of the hill.
16. Par 5 uphill that then goes right with trees scattering the middle and a guarded green.
17. Par 3 starting in the open that moves to a guarded green.
18. A drive approaching an ob creek/trench forcing a decision to lay up or go for it. Green is to the right of another OB trench.

Cons: All trash must be taken out of the course. Not a con because of the policy, con because some people don't follow this rule. Course can get wet following a good rain. Not much wrong with the course at all. Alot of great holes.
Other Thoughts: Pair this course with the other courses in the area included in the 2015 world championships. This course is well executed and most definitely one of the best FREE AND PUBLIC courses in the world.

Best so far...

1    4/25/2016   6/3/2016
Review By: HoosickTony
This review was updated on 7/2/2016
Pros: So many pros, and they're already available to be seen in the reviews below. The biggest single pro... everything on this course was tough but fair. I never felt cheated by the design of the hole. I could always find a possible pathway to success that was not just a game of Plinko. I had to THINK on most every hole about the throw and the landing and what would happen if I strayed from my intended path. Most holes had risk/reward challenge, I felt like I truly accomplished something by playing a round of par disc golf from the blue tees.
Cons: My only con...I don't live close enough to this gem.
Other Thoughts: Bag used/needed: I carried 17 discs, and I used them all.

On a scale of 0 (horrible) to 5 (heavenly):
Scenery:5
Ease of navigation:5
Tee pads:5
Baskets (catchability):5
Baskets (location):5
Variety:5
Bomb factor:5 (loved the 700+ ft downhill bomb best)
Risk/reward opportunities:5
Fairness:5
Use of terrain:5
Amenities:4
Beginner friendliness:3
Non-disc golfer opportunities for fun:5

About the reviewer: I've been playing for over 20 years, and playing seriously since 2007. I throw RHBH predominantly, with a wide arsenal of other shots that I use when I need them; my drives average about 320 feet on flat ground. My PDGA rating hovers around 900, which means on good days I shoot a few below par, on bad days a few above.

About my preferences: In my opinion the perfect disc golf course is an interesting walk in a natural space, with a wide variety of challenging but fair opportunities that test ALL of your shot making skills regardless of which hand you favor for throwing discs. I am happiest when I have to think my way from tee to basket hole after hole after hole and have to weigh risks versus rewards. In my opinion the worst disc golf courses have nothing to offer but holes that a) only test of how far you can throw b) only favor one particular type of throw on the majority of holes c) feature "plinko" lines choked with obstacles where luck is more important than skill d) are so short that a putter is all you need e) are so wide open that the only challenge is one of judging distance f) feature lines that discs were never meant to travel (such as a hole with two 90 degree doglegs in opposite directions) g) force you to lose a few discs if you dare to play. I am saddest when I feel bored or cheated by a hole.

P.S. Kudos to the designers of Morraine for giving me everything I love, and nothing that I hate:-)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8