Portersville, PA
Moraine State Park Share
Uploaded By: Brall Hole #8 (Taken 7/2011)
Hole #8 Blue Tee

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

1    4/22/2016   2/16/2017
Review By: Mark R
Pros: Top shelf Western Pennsylvania disc golf. Has a seemingly endless procession of forested tunnel holes that are tons of fun, with a few trees here and there to provide a multitude of throw routes. Many of these holes have compound fairways requiring well-placed drives for carefully calculated upshots. The best of these include Hole 4, with a fairly steep uphill drive leading to an angling, flat, straight but narrow fairway; Hole 6, a 928' flat, fairly wide and straight grassy fairway with plenty (but not too many) tree hazards; Hole 7, featuring a downhill dogleg left drive to a beautiful green; and Hole 12, a long and challenging left-bending drive through a grassy tunnel leading to a basket protected by rows of tall trees. Holes 5 and 14 feature subtly undulated, straight drives with multiple shot paths around narrow lines of trees. Hole 15 differs from the other holes with a wide-open hilltop drive leading to a right-bending fairway which leads to downhill to another large and beautiful green near a large reservoir lake.

Plenty of challenge at this course, with three layouts ranging from 6105' to 8550' feet. Despite the length and challenge, it is not insurmountable by intermediate level players, even from the Gold tees.
Cons: Holes 1 and 18 are nice, forested creek bed holes, but aren't quite up to the standards set by the rest of the course. Watch for roped-off out-of-bounds low lying areas on these holes. Hole 13 is a shorty through tall trees which could also be described as a filler hole. Hole 15, though visually epic, would likely be a painful effort in high winds. Some holes would likely have disc-swallowing rough during some parts of the year.

Unlike the other premier courses in this region, this course is located in a remote state park forest which requires a long meandering drive from the nearest highway exits, which can dissipate some positive energy before reaching the first hole. No nearby stores for snacks, drinks or discs.
Other Thoughts: This course along with Deer Lakes Park and Knob Hill stakes a claim for Western Pennsylvania being one of the world's best disc golf destinations. Unlike those two courses, which are some miles to the South in steeper major river valley hills, Moraine State Park is topographically more similar to upper Midwest courses with more meadow-like holes.

Remarkably consistent throughout, this course has a minimum of lesser holes and keeps you engaged all of the way through. Mentioned as a favorite by none other than pro Steve Rico and others, this great course belongs on your disc golf bucket list.

Best I have played

5+    10/19/2016   10/20/2016
Review By: Jcmb
Pros: Challenging. Easy to navigate. Well maintained. Offers different pin positions and multiple tees. A good mix of easy and very difficult holes. Beautiful course in a nice park. Has lines for different shots on many holes.
Cons: Trees are brutal for beginners. Heavy brush off of fairways.
Other Thoughts: Play this all the time and its my favorite of all the local courses.

Worthy of the 2015 Worlds

2-4    8/21/2016   8/22/2016
Review By: toddnick
Pros: - Well manicured and litter free
- Very nice, descriptive tee signs
- Excellent concrete pads for multiple tees
- Mix of hyzer/anhyzer lines
- Variety of hole length, shorter holes give relief from more challenging holes
- Mix of wooded, semi-wooded and wide open bomber holes
- Comes back somewhat close to parking lot after 9 holes
- Course is isolated from other activities in the Park
- Wonderful use of elevation
- Several great holes (2, 4, 6, 12, 13, 15, 16, 18).
Cons: - Some noise from local highway is noticeable throughout the course
- A few holes that felt like filler (3, 5, 11)
- Not as many memorable basket placements as other courses, missed opportunity here

Other Thoughts: - Played on Friday morning, Saturday afternoon and Sunday early morning...never had more than about 5 or 6 other groups on the course...I was pleasantly surprised....
- Tremendous course and worth traveling to (I did a Pittsburgh disc golf weekend from Buffalo, NY)...played this course 4 times in 3 days and never lost interest)...
- 15 and 16 are just tremendous back-to-back holes...despite the length of #15, I made 5 each time, but never got better than 6 on the somewhat shorter but grueling uphill through trees #16...
- I would like to give this course 4.75 stars; better than a 4.5 course but slightly preferred Deer Lakes over the weekend, so I can't give this one a 5...

Pittsburgh Pride

5+    7/6/2016   7/10/2016
Review By: jjtwinnova
This review was updated on 6/3/2017
Pros: The course is a great, championship style, breathtaking course. It has a large variety of different shots to challenge even the best players. With two par 5's, and a good mix of par 4's and 3's, this course is not a short pitch and putt. It has a few bomber holes (i.e. 15) and some technical holes (i.e. 13) that test everybody. The baskets are discraft Chainstars less than a year old (as of July 2016)
Hole by hole:
1. Short Par 3 with a gateway arch of trees on the left side.
2. Uphill wooded par 4 with an OB creek by the basket, providing trouble with a bad upshot
3. Short Par 3 to 3 pin positions surrounding an OB ditch in the ground with trees to knock discs down into the pit of death. (Discs can be retrieved)
4. Uphill par 4 with a dogleg right and trees scattering the fairway
5. Par 3 that depending on pin can fade left or right with trees guarding a straight approach forcing a hyzer/anny
6. Long Par 5 with trees all down the middle and a thick rough along the edges forcing well executed shots the whole way
7. Downhill par 3 fading left at an open basket with a line over top for rhbh hyzers and a tough straight line for lefties
8. Par 4 with a tough first gap leading to a basket on the right
9. Par 3 that starts out open into a wooded green
10. Par 4 that will require a straight drive through the woods then to a dogleg left uphill.
11. Par 3 with trees around the green. Probably the worst hole on the course. Slightly uphill.
12. Dogleg right starting in the open going to a wooded uphill climb to the basket.
13. Tight as all get out par 3 forcing a well executed straight shot.
14. Par 4 through the woods that will lead to one of teh best holes in disc golf.
15. Par 4 Downhill bomber looking over the lake with an OB road left, trees right and left after the road. OB wooded patch right of fairway at the approach point. Requires distance and accuracy to reach the green at the base of the hill.
16. Par 5 uphill that then goes right with trees scattering the middle and a guarded green.
17. Par 3 starting in the open that moves to a guarded green.
18. A drive approaching an ob creek/trench forcing a decision to lay up or go for it. Green is to the right of another OB trench.

Cons: All trash must be taken out of the course. Not a con because of the policy, con because some people don't follow this rule. Course can get wet following a good rain. Not much wrong with the course at all. Alot of great holes.
Other Thoughts: Pair this course with the other courses in the area included in the 2015 world championships. This course is well executed and most definitely one of the best FREE AND PUBLIC courses in the world.

Best so far...

1    4/25/2016   6/3/2016
Review By: HoosickTony
This review was updated on 7/2/2016
Pros: So many pros, and they're already available to be seen in the reviews below. The biggest single pro... everything on this course was tough but fair. I never felt cheated by the design of the hole. I could always find a possible pathway to success that was not just a game of Plinko. I had to THINK on most every hole about the throw and the landing and what would happen if I strayed from my intended path. Most holes had risk/reward challenge, I felt like I truly accomplished something by playing a round of par disc golf from the blue tees.
Cons: My only con...I don't live close enough to this gem.
Other Thoughts: Bag used/needed: I carried 17 discs, and I used them all.

On a scale of 0 (horrible) to 5 (heavenly):
Scenery:5
Ease of navigation:5
Tee pads:5
Baskets (catchability):5
Baskets (location):5
Variety:5
Bomb factor:5 (loved the 700+ ft downhill bomb best)
Risk/reward opportunities:5
Fairness:5
Use of terrain:5
Amenities:4
Beginner friendliness:3
Non-disc golfer opportunities for fun:5

About the reviewer: I've been playing for over 20 years, and playing seriously since 2007. I throw RHBH predominantly, with a wide arsenal of other shots that I use when I need them; my drives average about 320 feet on flat ground. My PDGA rating hovers around 900, which means on good days I shoot a few below par, on bad days a few above.

About my preferences: In my opinion the perfect disc golf course is an interesting walk in a natural space, with a wide variety of challenging but fair opportunities that test ALL of your shot making skills regardless of which hand you favor for throwing discs. I am happiest when I have to think my way from tee to basket hole after hole after hole and have to weigh risks versus rewards. In my opinion the worst disc golf courses have nothing to offer but holes that a) only test of how far you can throw b) only favor one particular type of throw on the majority of holes c) feature "plinko" lines choked with obstacles where luck is more important than skill d) are so short that a putter is all you need e) are so wide open that the only challenge is one of judging distance f) feature lines that discs were never meant to travel (such as a hole with two 90 degree doglegs in opposite directions) g) force you to lose a few discs if you dare to play. I am saddest when I feel bored or cheated by a hole.

P.S. Kudos to the designers of Morraine for giving me everything I love, and nothing that I hate:-)

A beauty of a course!

1    4/23/2016   4/26/2016
Review By: landon77
Pros: -
-Excellent tee pads
-Excellent signs
-Great baskets
-Good variety of holes (wooded, open, and a few water holes)
-Highly challenging
-Longest hole I've ever played
-Clean and beautiful
-No snakes observed
-Dog friendly, big parking lot, and bathrooms on site
Cons: -
-trash cans are almost non existent
-no score cards on the premise (they were out)
Other Thoughts: -
-A great and beautiful course I had the pleasure of playing.
-It provided many challenging shots
-Some really nice signature holes, hole 14 reminds me of hole 1 of the beast in ludington MI
-Some of the best wooded holes I have ever seen, they were awesome, long, and creative.
-Great layout, the course provided clear paths, errant throws were very punished!
-Pretty good fun factor, not as high on my list as Deer Park but it was still fun nonetheless
-I enjoyed my trip to Moraine, I did not come away overwhelmed.
-I would put this course in my top ten courses I have played
-This course has some really memorable holes in it, I did find myself saying wow a couple of times.
-A destination course, worth playing if in the area and traveling too.

2-4    6/14/2015   7/5/2015
Review By: Jags
Pros: Located in a beautiful park with some nice views. This course will test your skills with about every shot there is. Worth the drive. Lots to do in park.
Cons: Can get rather busy on a nice day. There is usually trash thrown throughout the woods. Not the parks fault. People need to learn to respect the course and all the time it took to install it.
Other Thoughts: Worth checking out. Nice use of all terain.

#1 Course in PA

5+    5/14/2015   6/1/2015
Review By: SoupSizzle
Pros: There is nothing NOT to like about this course! Beautiful Setting, Challenging holes, Good mix of open and technical. Has something for the novice to the pros! Playing here was a privilege for me and I was lucky enough to grow up with 30 min of the course!
Cons: n/a

Moraine: Wow, what a course!

2-4    10/20/2014   10/27/2014
Review By: Billy K2
Pros: Moraine is a very fun, scenic course located in Pennsylvania. The course was so unique, and was really fun to play. The course was in phenomenal shape! I paired up with a couple locals. They were extremely helpful and kind.
Cons: The only con that keeps me from rating Moraine a 5 is the tees. They were not grippy at all, and I had a very tough time keeping my feet from sliding. A few holes I just tees off from next to the pad.
Other Thoughts: If I could give a rating between a 4.5 and a 5 I would. This course is so close to perfect, and is truly an amazing course. If you are looking for a great disc golf expirience, look no further than Moraine.

Morraine on the Brain

1    8/25/2014   9/19/2014
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: It's been over a year since the last review on Morraine State Park, and I'm here to say it's still outstanding. Very challenging, layout with extreme elevation changes at times, some very dense woods that are mainly on the back 9, long distance on several, and after rain, a little water too. Each hole has multiple staggered rubber tees, and signs to help you out. The Mach 3 baskets are still in great condition. From the first hole to the last, interesting technical throws, not repetitive on any stretch. A little more open in some spots, usually at least some elevation change, and requires consistent accuracy. This course is truly outstanding, as so many people have indicated before me. I won't get too into details, but 15 is sick. The fewest trees of any hole, giving a fantastic view of the lake, over 850' from the long tee and way down hill. Two boomers and one putt if you do it right, I had to take an short approach from the rough near the basket, and made a four. 18 is a mother of a final hole, with a lot of trees, that knocked my disc straight into the muddy water in front of the basket. The whole park was very scenic and free of litter.
Cons: There was recent rain leaving behind mud, quite a bit on the last hole. No camping in the park. Leash law in effect.
Other Thoughts: A terrific place for disc golfing, and utilizing th land perfectly. There is very little weakness in this course. Unforgiving, but presents such a great challenge. A must play if you can make it, worth traveling to. I played one round, and went for 76 (+10). Would have loved to try and improve on that, repeatedly. Just not enough time to play it more than once.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7