Ashland, OR
Frog Creek DGC @ Shale City Share
Uploaded By: jasonandsharon Hole #5 (Taken 8/2015)

Baskets Would Only Make This Course More Awesome!

1    6/19/2018   6/19/2018
Pros: The Frog Creek Disc Golf Course is about 10 miles up a mountain road. It's fairly well off the beaten path. I've always been able to pass it by partly because of it's isolation but more because of the "Tone Targets." I've never been a Tones fan and probably won't be one anytime soon. The Frog Creek course plays through a beautiful Southern Oregon forest with great elevation changes, majestic Pine and Fir trees and scattered underbrush. It's a really great locale for a disc golf course.

The course is borderline rustic. The tee signs are handwritten and attached to the trees. The pads are natural but placed in some awesome positions. The tones are constructed by taping three one pound cans together. These make a rather dull thud when struck by your disc. The exception was # 7 which uses an old propane tank for the tone. It makes a much more pleasing melodic sound when hit. Blue paint markings on the trees help guide you through the course.

Obviously, the draw of this course is not the Tones, it's the lovely forest and some really great golf holes. The course has a nice variety of hole lengths as well as different challenges.

Two holes really stand out, # 8 and # 12. They're both similar and both are beautiful, treacherous and would challenge any player. # 8 is 480' slightly downhill through a gap with the Tone visible from the tee. It's just a stunningly beautiful disc golf hole. Then # 12 is so very similar. It's 469' slightly downhill. The Tone is very visible through this tiny gap in the trees. This gap is about 15' across and appears to be the only reasonable way through the trees to the Tone. The gap is almost 400' from the tee. It's truly magnificent.

The course is long and arduous. # 10 is 420' Par 4 and plays up a hillside. Just walking up is a huge workout. I think i'd make it about a Par 8 for me.
Cons: For me, the Tones are a major Con.

Some of the Tones are coming apart.

For some (not for an impressive physical specimen like me) the course make me a little over the top physically.

I got a little lost after # 16.

Course is pretty rustic for some people's taste.

Other Thoughts: I'd hate to really crush my drive 475' on # 12 and possibly have it just skim the Tone and have no way of knowing for sure whether you Aced it or not. But first I'd have to be able to drive more than about 250' so this is actually a combination between a dream and and a hypothetical question?

I've been considering a trip up here for some time for have kept putting it off, mostly because of the Tones. I think I've always been intrigued because of the cool name. After finally getting here, I'm impressed. The two awesome downhill holes, 8 & 12, are worth the drive by themselves. Now, I just need to play here with someone who could @actually challenge those two holes.

Lots of Trees

1    7/10/2014   7/11/2014
Review By: sayler12
Pros: Beautiful course with a great view at the end of hole ten. Holes were challenging and very diverse. It was basically a two hour hike through the woods. The trees provided great shade for the 95 degree weather we were in.
Cons: The course was pretty difficult to find and locating hole 1 was tough. There were lots of trees that got in our way and finding the next hole was hard at times.

Beautiful

1    1/5/2014   1/5/2014
Review By: Kamper76
Pros: Beautiful wooded course, perfect amount of obstacles and elevation change to add a challenge, get a little work out while walking threw the course, natural look with minimal signs of human tampering,
Cons: A little hard to find the holes if it is your first time, some of the signs telling you where holes are and their par are missing or worn down, can loose a disk or two if you aren't careful.
Other Thoughts: A great course, exactly what I would imagine if I pictured an Oregon style disk golf course, and possible to do without a guide, so don't be afraid to try regardless of some of the reviews, it just might take you a little wondering around at first to figure it out.

Fun Course

1    6/9/2013   6/11/2013
Review By: ogdenmoles10
Pros: Remote location in the woods so nice and quiet. Even if there are people on the course you either don't see them very long or you don't hear them. The toms are perfect for this course. I agree with others baskets on this course would take away from the nature setting of this course. You will get a great workout during this course.
Cons: If you are coming from Klamath Falls past Hyatt Lake on Dead Indian road when you turn onto Shale you need to follow it down to the other end because that is where the course is. It's hard to find the next hole on some for example we got to 5 and we thought the basket was to the right and when we got to the toms we discovered we were on hole 8 so we skipped 5-7. Again I believe it was hole 13 it's confusing where tee 14 is and where the tom is.
Other Thoughts: Make some new signs for each tee and at the end of each hole have a sign showing you which way the next tee is. Or at least have a map of the course online so you can print it out before you go.

Ashland course

5+    6/15/2011   6/15/2011
Review By: wildrivers
Pros: Gorgeous old growth with some meadows to hike through. Lots of elevation changes. Water shots! Lots of OB areas. Pretty clean area. Quiet too. Most shots are under 400ft. Lots of varity for throwers, up hill, down hill,over trees and around obstacles.
Cons: Finding the first tee may be hard for newbies. Once the first tee is found it is fairly easy to find the trails to the next tee. Can be wet and marshy in spring or shortly after wet weather. No baskets. No cement tees. Its a BLM forest and the locals made the best use out of it.
Other Thoughts: This course is a rough one in an old growth forest. Be prepared to hike and look around for the toms/baskets. Some tees have signs some do not. At this time I could not find hole 18 and it may not exist. The rock pile on hole 17 has been removed. Not an area for strollers. It is a great spot to take the dog! Very challenging course. Enjoy.

SO MUCH FUN!

2-4    3/5/2011   5/6/2011
Review By: snoopysports
Pros: Frog Creek was the first disc golf course I ever played and what started my love affair with disc golf. To me THIS is disc golf in Oregon: real, rugged, deep in the woods on a mountain. It had started out as a hiking trip, but the road up to grizzly peak was blocked by snow, so we decided to pull-over near where we saw other cars parked near this little tree on the side of the road. Trekking into the woods, we saw all these posts with coffee cans with yellow and pink neon tape. "You know what this is?" Jeff asked. "Some sort of logging territory?" I guessed.
"No, this is a disc golf course!"
We had both seen the discs at Magic Man, so we knew where to get them. Armed with only a leopard and a dragon, we returned to Frog Creek only to experience the funniest, most enjoyable day in the woods ever!
This course is like an adventure. Every hole feels like it's own nook of the forest. If you're into hiking and the Great Outdoors like me you'll just love it. It does take a some tracking to find the next hole/tee sometimes. When we played, there was snow in some parts, but it was no problem. You toss over the creek, downhill, around the trees, every kind of hole you could want! Since it's never crowded, it's a good course for bringing a picnic and taking your time and making a whole day out of it. I only wish I could find more courses as rugged and deep in nature as this!
Cons: We went back to play again a few weeks later after a storm and this time the snow was up to my thighs! One of my discs sliced down into the snow and almost completely disappeared! But we also found a disc in this pile of snow and the disc was all faded out and looked like it had been stuck up in a tree for years. We had to stop at the fourth hole because we couldn't tell where the creek was and had stepped in it a few times and our feet were turning to ice. So yeah, in winter it can be VERY extreme conditions. The road up there can even get iced and snowed out so you have to turn around. It varies.

Another con, I compare every course to this one and all the others seem too tame and urban.
Other Thoughts: There's also a little note bag by the tree near the tee on the first hole where it says when there's going to be a meet-up or if anybody lost a disc and stuff.

It's funny that the sign calls the pond "poo water" it sure does look like it! Bleh!

Don't let the tones deter

5+    10/10/2009   12/14/2009
Review By: trashmonster1985
Pros: -Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, I love this place. If it were all about location, this would be one of my favorites.
-Fun and unique course. Lots of stuff you don't see at your average disc course. Water hazards, gun traps, you name it.
-Great for those days when you want to get out and hike around while you disc.
-For where it is, the pathways are pretty easy to follow.
-Quiet, secluded, very peaceful.
-Fun elevation changes throughout. Dogleg lefts, rights, fades. A little of every shot.
Cons: -Not so great if you want a quick mellow round.
-Some trash from local riff raff, I believe scorchy may have pegged the culprits.
-DON"T GO IN THE WATER! If a disc goes in just say good-bye. You don't want some nasty disease.
-Might not want to play course during hunting season. I used to hunt up that very road with my dad when i was a kid. This last year while we were up there playing we heard a few rifle booms, so decided to play it safe and head down to Bear Creek.
Other Thoughts: I'm really partial to wooded courses in the first place, so for me this place is borderline perfect. Even the tones don't seem to bother me out there. Most courses they are kind of a bummer, but at frog creek, it almost seems to work better. If it were to get 18 baskets, this place would immediately shoot to a 4. Get some tee-pads and it's a 4.5. I can't say it enough how much I like this course. Really mellow people at the course. If you even see anyone else while you are there. So don't let the tones deter you, this is a spectacular course worth playing all summer long.

Frog Creek Rules

5+    9/29/2009   9/30/2009
Review By: Scorchysrevenge
Pros: -Great location
-Diverse terrain and even some year round water!
-No waiting on others even on weekends
-Great layout
-Good workout

-Very challenging-makes every other course seem much easier
Cons: Easy to lose a disc (or find one!) Need to have a spotter on several holes...
Lots of gun nuts shooting on or near the course
Some pin locations obscured by trees and brush from tee
Cows on the course-shooing works great
Need a guide to navigate the first time or two
Hole 18 tee pad shrinking (top of gravel pile)
Other Thoughts: Tone poles and dirt tee pads take some getting used to, but you are in the woods-waddaya want?
Some of the people that use the course also like to leave trash around for others to pick up after-this sucks and is disrespectful-pack yer shit back to white city assholes. Its not like there arent trash bags throughout the course.

this one is out there

1    8/30/2009   8/30/2009
Review By: orghitman
Pros: unlike any other course i have ever played but this is also the first course i have played since moving to the west coast. great scenery and very peaceful atmosphere. only course close to ashland, or which is where i now live. thats kind of a bummer.
Cons: hard to find the first tee. no baskets but the coffee cans are a very cool idea. if something happens out there you are screwed. i have a feeling the little white signs showing each tees direction dont stay in the same place very long. if you play for the first time w/o someone who knows the course you really need to have a spotter for some of the holes or you can spend a while looking for your disc. DO NOT PLAY ALONE!
Other Thoughts: went out after a long day of sitting around my crappy hotel after the electric lock broke with all my stuff (keys, wallet, bike, money, etc) locked inside. drove right past it at first and almost gave up but then we saw a small pull off and noticed a beam with something shinny on it from the road. turns out it was the second goal. we only got threw the first 6 holes before having to go back bc of darkness. you can easily get lost once it gets dark. everything said i am really happy i played it and plan on going back out there once i find someone that can show me around. if you can find the course it is worth it in my opinion.

A Diamond in the Rough?

2-4    8/15/2008   8/14/2009
Review By: discgolforegon
Pros: - Situated in a beautifull valley deep in the woods.
- Old Growth forest, mixed with dryer high desert terrain
- Small water hazards present in the fall / spring
- Great views of shasta and surrounding mountains
- great mix of elevation and land usage
- Not much Poison Oak
Cons: - No restrooms
- Signage is incorrect on alot of holes
- Navigating this course is hard even with maps
- Heavy mosquitoes when the pond has water in it
- Short Natural tees, no room for runup on long holes
- hard to find the next tee sometimes
- Super Gnarly rough
Other Thoughts: This course considering its location and remoteness earns it a 3 in my book. If this course were to ever get some baskets, teepads its an instant 4.
Once you make the drive out there you will see what makes this a great course.
Bring lots of water there is NONE available.
Bears have been spotted in the area, but hey its Oregon.