San Francisco, CA
Golden Gate Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: Mavurick Hole #10 (Taken 4/2014)

Share URL:

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12
Meh....

1    9/25/2017   9/26/2017
Review By: adamtheviking5
Pros: The course us well maintained. Folks are mostly friendly. Good quality baskets. Some variety of shots. Overall a pretty good disc golf experience.
Cons: Unless you live near by, this course is very inconvenient to travel to or park at. Not a whole lot of shot variety because of the lack of space. Holes are dangerously close together and close to lots of other activities going on in the park, such as adults playing kickball with a keg in the middle of the infield. I might look into this actually because ALL the participants were having a LOT of fun. Lots of vagrants and bums and just generally un- hygienic people walking and standing around.
Other Thoughts: I went to golden gate with the hope of playing a great course based on its rating but its really closer to a 3 than a 4. There just wasnt any WOW factor and the course wasnt that difficult.

One of my Favorites

5+    8/29/2017   9/7/2017
Review By: KMBreith
Pros: Great location in the middle of San Fransisco
Frequent hole movement, some have up to 4 placements
Tee pads are consistent and don't slip
Good variety of shots; short, long, left, right, etc
Multiple practice tees with log benches
Garbage cans at a majority of holes
Dogs are allowed
Friendly people
Cons: Busy on the weekends if it's nice out
Walkers and bikers frequent the trails along some of the course
Other Thoughts: This course will go down as one of my favorites for as long as I live.
Since the first time I played to the last; I am always challenged and I always have fun! Great place to play for visitors and out of towners.
Message me if you need a guide sometime :)

Gem of a Course, Well Laid Out, Decent Challenge, Nice Elevation Mix

1    7/21/2017   7/28/2017
Review By: Treeplant
Pros: - Beautiful, mostly wooded course inside of Golden Gate Park in San Francisco. Considering how tight real estate is in San Francisco, this is one heck of a course.

- Unless you air mail a drive into outer space, it's an open forest floor so there aren't a lot (though there are some) places to lose discs. Not nearly as bad for losing discs as other forested courses.

- Baskets were in decent shape, concrete tee pads in decent shape as well. Not brand new, but no complaints.

- Good signage, though it could be confusing to tell which pin position was in play. I got the impression that the club marked it properly then on a few holes people goofed around with the pin markers.

- Easy to navigate between holes with a course map, without a course map might be a little bit tricky.

- Nice mix of elevation and a few open shots in spite of the course mostly being situated inside the forested areas.

- Most holes had some sort of seating, which is great considering it seems like it would be impossible to play this course without waiting a bit.

- Intermediate players would play this at close to par (the average intermediate player would be a few strokes over par would be my guess), advanced players below par, though there aren't many gimme ace runs or short holes on this. Conversely, there aren't any major bomber holes, you're not going to be able to open up a bunch of wide open drives, but there are a few spots to rip 400'+ drives downhill. Overall a nice mix of distance, however, nothing felt overly repetitive.

- Okay course for a cart, but awkward in a few spots. If it were raining I don't think I'd play with a cart. There are some stairs.
Cons: - Flight paths are close to other tees and public areas. You really need to pay attention to where you're throwing and what's going on around you. They have netting set up in a few spots, but it's limited coverage and there are lots of opportunities to get hit or hit others if you're not careful.

- Possibly the busiest course we've ever played, though in fairness we did play it on a Saturday in the summer. I'm told the course is pretty much busy all the time, not a big deal though, it's worth a bit of waiting.
Other Thoughts: - If you're looking for local info, the club has a webpage at www.sfdiscgolf.org and also a facebook page that can be searched.

- We played five courses in California, this was a close second favourite behind Whale Rock.

Amazing scenery

1    3/21/2017   4/9/2017
Review By: The Katana Kid
Pros: Wow! I was told this was a great course but seeing is believing.
The holes are all challenging in different ways: height, trees, technical, and more.
Cons: Because the park is so nice there's a lot of people, but the layout is fine to avoid people concentrations but still you've got to be on the lookout.
Other Thoughts: I'm really glad I took the time to visit!

Golden Gate Park DGC

1    12/8/2016   1/9/2017
Review By: lazrman778
Pros:
Has practice basket

Has concrete tee pads

Has nice tee signs with alternate basket placements and indicators

Has a bench at every tee pad if I'm not mistaken

Has multiple basket placements for all holes

Has some elevated baskets

Has next tee signs

Has some mandos

More wooded than open fairways with slight elevations - which will be challenging to the casual player

Has two loops of the front and back nines

Nice scenery

Well-maintained

Free parking

Restrooms
Cons:
Baskets are hard to locate on some holes

Walking path cuts through on some holes - one can expect some delays on a nice day

Course can get crowded at times as it's popular with parkgoers and players

Course design and flow could use improvement as there are awkward transitions between holes 6-8 and holes 16-18
This a nice, challenging 18 hole course in San Francisco that I enjoyed playing while vacationing out here. I probably would have had more fun if it wasn't raining on the day I played. The course is really beautiful and a joy to play even when it rained. I took note from the earlier revIews and played on a rainy Thursday morning and almost had the whole course to myself. First thing that I noticed was that there are a lot of trees here that are mature and massive which will challenge many drives, approaches, and even your footwork for putting. As with most DGA baskets, some are hard to spot from the tee pads especially for a first-timer. There were some awkward transitions between holes 6-8 and 16-18 where you had to do some walking and backtracking afterwards. I can see where these transitions could slow down play if the course had a lot of traffic at the time. Add the nearby walking paths on a nice day and the playing time will increase for good reason. All in all, this is a nice course not to be missed and definitely worth bagging if you're in the area.

Thumber of Love

1    10/17/2016   11/24/2016
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Iconic Golden Gate Park is full of beauty and fun recreational activities. The disc golf course was the reason for my visit, and it didn't disappoint. 18 holes that have a great mix of fun and technical shots. There are usually plenty of trees making things interesting on the fairways, and moderate elevation changes on a few of them. A couple of the baskets are lifted off the ground a bit on tree stumps or a landscaped riser. The tees and boxes are in decent condition, and the grounds were litter free and surprisingly mud free, despite significant rainfall that weekend. Signs at each tee nicely illustrate what is in store for you. There are multiple pin positions in play, and a few are not visible or hard to spot from the box. Gentle rises and falls without a lot of elevation change on a lot of the front nine, and larger drops off the tee give some nice downhill drives on the back. Only one par 4 on the card, so distance is not extreme.
Cons: A lot of people were on the course, understandably, which can result in waiting for other parties moving at a slower pace. There are a few places where holes are very close together, and care must be taken to avoid people on or in between other holes. The layout is a little confusing in spots, and if you're not familiar with the park I would recommend printing a map to avoid wandering aimlessly. I forgot mine, and paid with time spent searching and asking directions.
Other Thoughts: I had a great time in San Francisco, and the disc golf course was no exception. Thanks to Scooter for joining me for the front nine. His guidance was needed and appreciated. All of the players I talked to on the course were very friendly and helpful. I started out poorly, and was 4 over par after 5 holes, but once I warmed up got a couple of birdies and finished the day at 4 over (59). If you get the chance to play here, do not pass it up. It is not perfect, but the pros outweigh the cons for sure. I wish I was able to give more details, but memories from the visit are a little hazy for some reason. I'm sure other reviews here will more accurately describe why this is a wonderful place to be a disc golfer. I can't pick a favorite hole, but there are several really nice ones. Holes 3, 11, 15, and 17 stood out to me. I hope to return for more disc golfing here, and to explore the city a bit further. What a fantastic town!

A Joy to Play

1    10/10/2016   11/22/2016
Review By: wellsbranch250
Pros: (3.738 Rating) A beautiful course in the middle of San Francisco's Golden Gate Park.
- UNIQUENESS - The thing I found best about this course was the course layout and the uniqueness of the holes themselves. Although there was a bit of repetitiveness to weaving in and out and threw the trees, the direction to angle my shot and shot style seemed different on every consecutive hole. From pocket left to pocket right to sweeping angle. Slight ups and downs, and a bunch of blind baskets to name a few. Most players will really have to visualize every shot they take. Advanced players will definitely feel challenged by this course. Unfortunately no water elements in play to force a line.
- NATURAL BEAUTY - The beauty was the second biggest thing I took away. Most courses I've played it's just an afterthought... not here. The park as a whole is just absolutely amazing. I've never played a course with such stoic trees. Perhaps it's a California thing.
- CHARACTER - The course has a lot of the character items that you'd see at an older established course. There's two picnic tables at the junction of holes 1, 9, 10 and 18, - the ideal setup in my opinion. There's seating at every hole, and all the tee areas are shaded well. There's a course map and community board at tee #1 as well as a practice basket. There's probably about 50 total pin placements and well designed tee signs with a pin placement location wheel.
- DIFFICULTY - The more challenging of the two courses I hit on my California trip. I think as a whole, it will definitely challenge the game for everyone but pros. You'll have to tactically attack each hole differently and be willing to settle or scramble for par when things don't go your way.
- SKILL LEVEL FRIENDLY - Although not necessarily a beginners course or a pro level course, the course somehow manages to provide a prefect middle ground. the odds of losing a disc is low, great for beginners. The fairways are tight enough to provide a challenge to upper advanced players and lower tier pros.
- SIGNATURE HOLE - Without a doubt hole number 11, I won't spoil it.
Cons: Really all the cons below (except the first one) I'm nit picking a bit.
- TIME WAITING - This course appears to get heavy use. I had read a bunch of previous reviews regarding waiting being an issue. So I took the tip and played on a Monday morning. The course still had several groups already playing. In addition, I ended up waiting several times for walkers in park "just staring down at their phone". I can't imagine what kind of delays would be expected on Saturday and Sundays.
- NO BOMB IT HOLES - If you're the type that likes to bomb it 500 foot down the fairway, this isn't your course. Most holes require a controlled low trajectory technical shot that bends at the end.
- TEE BOXES - During my visit there was damp silt/sand on many of the tee boxes which caused me to slip a few times. It would be nice to have brooms at a few holes where the issue is more pronounced.
- SPACING - Slightly below average. a couple of hole combinations get awfully close together. Holes 6/7/8, 15/16 and 17/18 specifically. Be sure your aware of other groups teeing off on these holes. Thankfully 8 and 18 tees are protected by nets.
- ELEVATION - A surprising lack of Elevation on this course. It's by no means flat as a pancake, but it probably varies by no more than 40' on the entire course. I was expecting a lot more. There are some holes that probably slide down 30 feet or so. I'll also add that the elevation that is there is generally worked into the layout of many of the holes.
- ACEABILITY - Very few, if any gimme holes. Aceable holes are few and far between for everyone but pros.
Other Thoughts: One of the top 10 courses I've played to date (68 as of this review) Highly recommended to everyone visiting the Bay area. Just be prepared for a long round if playing on prime times.

Nice

1    7/26/2016   7/27/2016
Review By: Mr72datsun
This review was updated on 7/28/2016
Pros: Imagine going to pebble beach ball golf course and no one is there. No one to take your money. No one else playing the course. That is how it felt to me this morning. Golden gate park is great in general and the disc course is really a nice bonus. Played the 18 hole course twice. 3 over and even par. Where was everyone? No problem with crowd on Tuesday morning. We completed the first 18 prior to the next people showing up. The people we saw on the 2nd round were all nice and moving along nicely.
Super easy to navigate.
Nice amount of elevation change.
Good for beginners. My wife played all but one hole.
Challenging course for me.
Nicely maintained by locals. Really quite impressive.
Not too many homeless. We saw about 5, but they were all fine.
Perfect weather.
Cons: The fog horns. Come on guys can't you do something about that?
Other Thoughts: I wanna play again tomorrow.

There are a number of holes which are labeled as par 4. Some under 400 feet which seems odd to me.

Welcome to San Francisco

1    1/11/2016   2/1/2016
Review By: todd9500
Pros: First Impressions: What an impressive park system this disc golf course is located in. It was early Monday morning and I had the course to myself so read other reviews to learn about conditions when the course is crowded.

Amenities: There was a portable toilet near hole #1 provided by the Golden Gate DG Club.

Course design/difficulty/obstacles/out-of-bounds: This is a wonderful technical course that takes advantage of the massive trees and some elevation changes. There are some natural hazards to avoid on some holes. There was a good mixture of distances to makes things interesting.

Local DG involvement/navigability/ signage/maps: It's easy to tell that this course has received much TLC in many areas - paths, benches, protective nets, mailbox for maps & scorecards, etc. The course was easy enough to follow with a DGCR map. The signage was good. The San Francisco Disc Golf Club has a website, http://www.sfdiscgolf.org / and a Facebook page.

Tee pads/benches/shelters/picnic tables: Cement tee-pads, benches and trash bins on every hole. There are multiple basket locations.

I highly recommend this course.
Cons: I hear the course gets extremely crowded on weekends and can be a bit dangerous with errant shots.
Other Thoughts: Remember the Disc Golfer's Code:

1) Play Smart - Never throw into a blind area or when players, spectators, pedestrians, or other facility users are within range. Use a spotter.

2) Respect the Course - Observe all posted rules. No littering, graffiti, or abuse of equipment or flora.

3) Represent the Sport - Be positive and responsible. Teach others.

1    10/12/2015   10/12/2015
Review By: bobmcnelly
Pros: - easy access right in SF
- great tee signs that give you all the info that you could need
- great concrete tee pads
- gods variety of distances with shorter 200 foot shots to around 500 feet
- tons of large mature trees to offer quite the challenge
- a truly beautiful place to play disc golf
Cons: - navigation of the course can be a little difficult
- the course can get very crowded
- the layout is very "tight" and with lots of pedestrians wondering the course I could see some injuries happening
- baskets are getting a little beat and can be difficult to see from some of the tee pads
Other Thoughts: Great course, but I was lucky to play with a local, otherwise I feel I would have been wondering the course quite a bit.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12