Norman, OK
Griffin Park Share
Uploaded By: Heathen Hole #12 (Taken 4/2009)
Hole #12 Approach

Farewell Tour

1    7/22/2018   7/23/2018
Review By: MadGame32
This review was updated on 3/29/2021
Pros: -Logical flow
-Good tee pads
-Good goals
-Tee signs were accurate
Cons: -Goal on hole 15 is missing.
-Tough round when it is hot outside.
Other Thoughts: Griffin Park has every box checked for what a good disc golf course should be. It has great tee boxes, the goals are old, but are in good shape and do the job, the tee signs are accurate, and the flow makes sense.

It found it to be a very challenging course from the Gold tees which is probably the intention. There were very tight windows, and the holes required you to be able to work discs on different flight paths over distance. You get punished if you miss fairways, which I believe you should be.

Between all the disc golf I have been playing lately, and the heat, I was absolutely wiped out about half way through the course. But that is not the course's fault.

I would say if you want a good challenge without requiring mandos and imaginary OB on each hole, the gold tees are here for you. Playing this course will definitely make you a better player, so go for it.

3/29/21 Update:

Out of the 68 courses I have reviewed, this is where this course ranks along with similarly rated courses:
Rank-Course, Location
30-The Firecracker, Fountain Inn, SC

Griffin Park

1    2/27/2016   3/2/2016
Review By: tkmcdougal
Pros: Griffin Park was a fun and challenging course that makes you use all shots in your bag. There are straight shots, right to left and left to right holes. The park makes good use of the elevation provided and has good basket placement to make the course challenging. There are good teepads and Mach baskets that were in good shape. The course makes use of a small creek on a few of the later holes as well. I really liked the elevated basket on hole 8 that others have mentioned. I really enjoy when a course has a "signature" hole/ shot and that is what hole 8 is.
Cons: I wasn't a fan of holes 2 and 3 as they are completely open shots across a big field. This course can be very windy so make sure to bring the appropriate discs. The course needs additional signage. There are painted arrows under the baskets to point in the general direction for the next hole. However, the signs at each tee should show the distance and a hole map to let you have a better idea how to approach the hole. As mentioned by others the walk from 18 to the parking lot was pretty long.
Other Thoughts: Griffin Park was a fun course but I prefer Lions and Noble. This is a long course that will test your ability to show disc control in the wind and playing next to thick woods and by a creek. I didn't bring a course map but I was lucky and was playing behind two people so it was easy navigating the course. If you have never played here before I would print off a map.

Great Tourney Course

5+    9/5/2013   9/16/2013
Review By: rd.bittle
Pros: Amenities:
Dual Tees on almost every hole.
Concrete tees for Longs (Gold)
Good Baskets
Practice Basket near entrance
Some Teesigns
Baskets marked for next tee (tape on basket)
Plenty of benches/trashcans

Hole Variety
Some right/left/straight
Some open/technical/tight
Some up/down/flat
Awesome risk/reward on most holes

Feel:
A great course to test your skill set.
Some chances to Bomb and great to work on line-shaping.
Good for intermediate to Advanced/Pro
Very challenging almost frustrating

Favorite Hole(s): #13 red, #13 gold
This hole is very fun and totally different from each tee. Both are challenging and will make you play smart.

Cons: Dirt Tees on shorts (Red)
Few real, useful Teesigns
Several holes feel repetetive in the middle of the round
Dog Park next door (some people think the course is leash-free also.)
Trash not rare enough (C'mon people use the trashcan, there's one at the next tee.)
Could use navigational aids
Looooong walk from 18 to the Gate/parking
Other Thoughts: Overall, this course makes for a round of challenge, triumph, and frustration. Is set up well for Tourneys and will cause great scoring differences. Good to take a group to.

Its just missing something. This is a hard course to review for me. I base my "disc rating" heavily on fun factor and this course falls a little short of what it could be. Still a great course to play, but if I'm playing by myself, I will go to one of the more "fun" courses in the area. If I'm looking to challenge myself or see how I play against others in my group, we'll come here. I'll have fun in spite of the course instead of because of the course.

If you want the oppurtunity to play one of the most challenging courses in OK, swing by or make this trip. Make a full day of it and play the other Norman courses along with Noble for some serious DG Fun.

PM me and let me know how my reviews can be "more helpful."

Griffin - Too Narrow and Thick

3/11/2008   3/11/2008
Review By: DG_Wizard
This review was updated on 3/14/2008
Pros: This is a convenient place to play. It is a challenging course, and has adequate facilities (trash cans, benches, bathrooms, etc.) It has a nice flow, and the holes are out of the way of joggers, etc. Most of the time there is a copy of the course map at the entrance. Concrete tee pads and signs are nice.
Cons: This course is long. #2 is about 800+ feet. It is also extremely thick in summer months. It is very easy to lose discs. Some fairways are too narrow in very wooded areas in my opinion. I also don't like the fact that there seem to be a group of vandals that like to come out and trash the baskets. They have been known to be bent, covered in graffiti, missing chains or tops, or even dug up completely. I know of a couple that have been replaced several times. If you aren't going to play, at least don't ruin it for the rest of us! Some parallel fairways are too close together.
Other Thoughts: I like this course, and I play it occaisionally for a change of scenery. I like Lion's Park better, which is practically across the street. Entrance to the Griffin DGC is right next to the fenced in dog park.