Rockwall, TX
Harry Myers DGC Share
Uploaded By: ERicJ   (Taken 4/2009)
Park Map: for disc golf park in the rightmost lot, tee #1 is located by the loop in the drive

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
My Cerebral Cortex Is Tingling

1    4/6/2018   5/31/2018
Review By: wellsbranch250
Pros: (4.099 Rating) A top tier large well maintained city park course.
- DESIGN - No other designer makes me consider tee shots better than a John Houck designed course. Time and time again he delivered on this layout and I went back to the bag several times to grab another disc after second guessing my attack on a hole. Great use of the trees on the lightly wooded back 9. An average designer would have had me throwing down the center of a lightly defined lane. Houck gives me risk reward choices nonstop by layering the obstacles and by having consideration for the naturally changing arc of the disc's flight path.
- UNIQUENESS - Outstanding. Just about every hole type is here. Par 3s, 4s and 5s. Doglegs, abrupt pockets, continuous arcing fairways, windows, tree gaps and "S" lines. Heavily wooded holes through open holes. Open bomb-it opportunities and short tight technical holes. Minor water elements and mild elevation changes. This course layout with require every disc a player's bag and his partner's bag. I'd put the overall variety roughly in my top twenty (274 courses played as of this review). I do wish however, that the large pond played more of a factor on a shot or two. My playing partners told me that for tournaments they have a temporary hole that does just that. Elevation I wish was a little more epic as its limited to about 30 to 35 feet on any one hole. The elevation that is here is used really well, but it's a shame that Houck couldn't work his magic and grow some mountains in there.
- CHALLENGING - Our group played the short tees and I found the difficulty to be lower recreational. I personally shot 8 down, but a vast majority of the pin placements were in the easiest position. I could see the back tees with the harder placements challenging upper intermediates and perhaps lower advanced players to keep pace with par. A player's entire game will be tested here, but the layout will need more length to challenge the higher skilled players.
- CHARACTER - The basics are done well and there are a bunch of extra amenities as well. To start, a fantastic course map and community board near tee (1). There is also a restroom building, pavilion with picnic table and a practice basket nearby. There's a box for scorecards. Unfortunately, none were in the box on my visit. The tees are great, 6 feet by 12 feet with about half under shade. Eleven holes had multiple tees. Great signage, although it appeared some didn't have all the current info for the numerous extra pin placements (see cons signage). A majority of the holes had benches and the baskets are DISCatchers.
- NAVIGATION - To be honest, I'm not entirely sure as I had a guide and I wasn't too observant for this aspect like I normally am for my blind solo rounds. It seemed good. As stated above, there's a course map. Plus if I recall correctly there are a bunch of directional cues on the layout as well. Hole signage does not indicate next tee direction.
- SKILL LEVEL FRIENDLY - This course should please a wide swath of skill levels due to the two tee configuration. I figure the ideal target audience is 800 to 950 rated players, but it could go beyond that range depending on personally preferences.
- MAINTENANCE - Mowed thought-out, landscaped and little trash. The whole park looked marvelous.
- NATURAL BEAUTY - In addition to being well maintained, lots of beautiful lines to throw down with the front 9 leading the way. Holes (3) and (5) were my favorites. Hole (3) is a huge dogleg par 5 over a valley. The hole starts very wide and continuously narrows and narrows all the way to the pocketing basket location. Hole (5) is a super technical 15 foot down shot that can be easily deuced or foured. The only drawback on this hole is the boggy surroundings. I also highly enjoyed the stunning beauty on (6), (7), (9) and (17).

Cons: It's hard to knock this course for anything of substance.
- POISON IVY - Like many East Texas courses in the spring there are some patches of poison ivy here. I spotted this awful plant a few times but I don't think it's as bad as many other courses in the region.
- OUTDATED TEE SIGN INFO - They look amazing as stated above. However, they don't show all the newly added pin placements and distances.
- FORGIVENESS - I could see some newer players not liking holes (3) thru (9). Just too technical and too punishing.
- TIME PLAY - Not a quick play. My group of 3 was out here for 2 1/2 hours and I thought we were moving quick and we had no one in front of us.
- WIND - The back nine is a bit too open and could be plagued by howling winds on some days.
- BOGGY - A couple holes don't look like they drain well after a heavy rain.

Other Thoughts: This was my first round ever played in the Dallas area and I had the privilege to throw it with a good friend of mine, DGCR member gotoguy. He was the first disc golfer I met in Austin in 2014 and we've thrown a lot of rounds together over the years. It does pain me to say that I whooped him, but it was probably due to the fact that the adrenaline of being turned away at Saleh two hours earlier hadn't worn off yet. As for the course, it's awesome. I'd play Harry Myers every day if I lived nearby. Definitely a destination course that I'd surmise is among the best courses in the Dallas area. It has all the things I enjoy about disc golf; variety, aesthetics, fun, challenge and amenities. However, it was the overall encompassing design that I enjoyed the most. Player's traveling to the Metroplex should have this course high on their wish list.

Professional Level Course for Everyone

5+    4/28/2018   5/15/2018
Review By: JosephHBrowning
Pros: Multiple teepads and the baskets move fairly frequently to new positions which helps keep the course fresh. Extremely challenging from the pro pads and approachable from the Am pads. This course is fully functioning with many other amenities for the Rockwall so it's almost always in it's best shape. Great tee signs and even wooden navigating signs to show where the next teeboxes are for both long and short pads.
Cons: Since the course is situated around a lake/pond and parts of the course utilize the spillways/overflow areas it can be extremely muddy in many spots on the course. 5-7 can be unplayable if a good rain has happened anytime within a week or so.

Not as good as reviews

1    2/25/2018   3/31/2018
Review By: 34blast
Pros: Lot's of places to air it out
Lot's of long holes
Some really nice wooded holes
Cons: wind tunnel on many holes
Some hole you feel like you are just airing it out in an open field
Other Thoughts: Not as good as the hype, but good
Not a great course for noodle arms. This is where the big arm guys go to bury the noodle arms
Don't go here on a windy day

Love this course

1    11/22/2017   11/22/2017
Review By: Jmk5704
Pros: Great course awesome use of landscape, great variety, really challenges you in all areas, good for beginners and experts, there is always people playing this course no matter when you go. The new tee signs are big and well detailed. The tee pads are also big.
Cons: The baskets here are aweful, I know the issue is vandalism and as soon as the get a new one it will get broke, but it does suck when baskets come up missing or the basket has been broken off and your trying to play. Also holes 2-9 are muddy in the spring and summer because of poor drainage. This park is packed there is always people walking around in this park and they don't stay on the path so people can easily be in the middle of your shot not paying attention or caring that you are playing. Hole 1 and 18 have lakes beside them so photographers are always using them and it can be really annoying.

Another Houck classic - and a model for DG in a public park

2-4    6/23/2017   7/17/2017
Review By: armiller
Pros:
-Best course/park interaction I've ever seen (a friend even played with a big weekend park event going on, and that only prevented him from playing holes 1 & 18)
-Good assortment of holes: There are plenty of long shots (mostly with line-carving required) as well as shorter ones. The very tight wooded holes and use of some elevation are a very nice touch. The par 4s and 5s make for good golf.
-Polished: little room for improvement in amenities (tees, baskets, tee signs, course flow, etc.)
-Even without the over-water tournament hole, it's a blast to be able to play the holes you've seen Paul, Simon, Ricky, Jerm, and the other pros throwing on YouTube. Paul's eagle on 2 is already impressive, but just wait til you've thrown it yourself.

Some favorites: 1, 3, 5-9
Cons:
-Can be as frustrating as any other challenging course
-Walking from 8 to 9 crosses 3's fairway
-I didn't like some shots because they basically require going over big trees instead of through (esp. holes 2 and 16 long), but they were still very good holes
First of all, the City of Rockwall has done a great job taking care of this park. Busy public parks attracting many visitors don't always work well with disc golf, but I was amazed by how well Mr. Houck laid out these holes without ever endangering other park users. As my title says, of all the courses I've played this sets the standard for elite disc golf courses on public property/parks. There were some walks between holes that seemed long (1/2, 8/9, 17/18), but I found that an exceedingly small price to pay for such an adeptly laid out course without any squeezed-in holes. The 8 to 9 walk actually crosses 3's fairway, but it's fairly easy for both throwing and walking parties to see one another. The only problem would be if Paul/Simon/Eagle were teeing off on 3. In that case, you're probably not safe anywhere on the course. Overall, I was fine with this, as I'd rather have disc golfers encountering other golfers instead of throwing over paths, playgrounds, or baseball fields.

Overall, I find playing Houck courses interesting as an intermediate player (I played both Trey Texas Ranch and both Selah courses on the same trip). From shorts, I enjoy the golf but am generally able to finish under par and thus desire to stretch my game a little more. From longs, these courses range from reasonable beat-down to straight-up annihilation. Harry Myers was no different, though I was fortunate to escape with just the beat-down. I played a fairly mediocre round from shorts but still managed to shoot one under par. When I came back to play longs, the course ate my lunch. On the par 5 3rd hole, I was punished for not making it over the trees. After a couple escape shots, I took advantage of a very nice approach to get double bogey. On holes 16-17, my already struggling round fell apart, partially due to a substantial headwind which made "over tree" distance difficult. I was 9 up after 16, but gave up keeping honest score on the par 5 17th. Basically, I need to add at least 50' consistent/accurate distance to max drives and improve my pinpoint woods precision to be able to score decently here. I don't think any disc golfer will find this course easy, and the short tees alone will provide sufficient challenge to most of us.

As such, this is the kind of course that is a little too challenging for a peaceful afternoon in the park kind of round. Nevertheless, most golfers who come here know what to expect and this is the right place to challenge or showcase your skills. Whether you discover some weaknesses in your game or are totally up to the challenge, Harry Myers is one that will make you want to return. (As a side note, The Cedars in Fate, TX is only ~4 miles away and was a challenging course as well. Goes well with HM.)

Rating: I settled on 4.5. It's a great course, but doesn't quite hit the 5 mark. I've given a lot of 4s, though, and the quality of the par 5s (especially hole 3) and multiple par 4s make it hard for me to justify anything less. Add to that the fact that there are multiple tees per hole, great signs, multiple signature holes, and an overall great disc golf experience in a nice park... and Harry Myers is undoubtedly special. Many thanks to Rockwall, which I assumed funded the course, and to John Houck!

Excellent course in Rockwall, TX

2-4    3/24/2017   4/19/2017
Review By: Chained Evil
Pros: This is a very nice disc golf course set in a scenic city park. The tee pads are ample and provide for a proper run up and there are multiple pads for each hole. Also there are multiple pins placements to keep things from getting stale.
Good directional signage to keep you on the correct path. Good mix of short, moderate, and longer holes. Good mix of dog leg L and R shots as well. There are protected pins and low ceiling shots here as well. Bridges in the correct places to assist you as well as benches.
This course has many holes in which you can air out your drives but at the same time there are holes with good lines to be hit in order to score well. There are a few holes that will give you a birdie look too. Some holes have baskets on the slope of a hill or up on a mound to give you the threat of a roll a way putt to add to the pucker factor. This course uses the present elevation as best it can. The downhill shot on hole 17 will be a long throwers dream.
Favorite holes 1, 3, 5, 16.
Cons: Some of the interior holes have hard pack in the fairways or sit in a bit of a low lying area of the park so after a heavy rains those areas can become slick.
Upon my first visit there wasn't any signage at the tees, but for the AM weekend of the 2017 Nick Hyde Memorial there was very nice, fully detailed signage. Don't know if they were being updated prior to this tournament or not so I hope they are now a permenant fixture.
Walking across 3's fairway to get to 9's tee box needs to be done with caution.
Other Thoughts: This is a great park style course that has a solid balance of technical holes, short holes, and long holes to make you work on your overall game. This course gets a lot of traffic and there is a good reason for that. Its a very solid play in the DFW and a local favorite. I was lucky enough to play a practice round and then a competition round for the 2017 Nick Hyde Memorial AM weekend. I really enjoyed my round here and feel this course offers a little bit of everything. I will revisit this course again and suggest you play this course if you are in the area.

One of the best courses in the country

1    2/11/2017   2/13/2017
Review By: jeffp
Pros: This is definitely one of the best courses I've ever played. Fairly open with a few wooded holes. Good clear fairways with pretty rough rough if you can't keep it in the fairway. Lots of routes to try, you aren't forced into a specific shot on most holes. A lot of very interesting risk/reward shots. Hole 3 is the best designed par 5 I've ever seen.
Cons: IIRC one of the tee signs was broken? Nothing major.
Other Thoughts: #17 seems to have been redesigned since the pictures on here were taken.

First Time!

1    10/5/2016   10/6/2016
Review By: Shawn K
Pros: As a beginner, this course allowed me to experiment with various discs. Lots of different challenges that require different throws.
Ball golf, or disc golf, I like to get away from the city. Most of the time I felt oneness with the outdoors. Playing at 9am on a Wednesday, only player on the course.
Fairways mowed and very clean. And when I went offline, not hard to find discs.
Cons: Many reviews previously talk about great signage. This was my first time playing and I had to resort to videos and extra walking. Still not sure if I played all blue tees, or maybe a few red tees. Overall, somewhat easy to figure out and I look forward to the new signs supposedly coming.
Other Thoughts: Red tee box, blue tee box. Hey, a little spray paint here would make the world of difference. How about a stripe or spot on each?

Overall, had a great time.

Would like updated information on any mini tournaments. Be good to connect with others and get some tips on playing the course.

Best course east of the mid cities

5+    8/25/2015   9/12/2015
Review By: Tommy2am
Pros: -Grounds kept immaculate year round
-Designed by the greatest course designer in the world, so the course flow is fantastic
-The best teepads, signage, and baskets possible, along with longer and shorter tees, as well as multiple pin positions
-Beautiful course with various trees, rocks, hills, slopes, water hazards, etc.
-Incredible variation which challenges even the best pro players
-There is a water park, kids park, baseball fields, swimming pool, covered tables, great fishing, jogging trails, and more. Just a lot to do at the park
-There are many tournaments here including minis, regular tourneys, and major A-tier pro tournaments
-There are many top level players out here on a regular basis
-Another awesome course is less than 5 minutes away (the cedars)
-There are plenty of things to do around the area from restaurants, bars, retail stores, hotels, etc.
-This course will require every throw there is and in every situation. There are no "throw-away" or "gimme" holes.
Cons: -There is an area that you have to walk from the pin on hole 8 across the fairway of hole 3 that could present an issue...such as a destroyer lodged in your temple. So be careful
-As any top level course, there is a very real danger of losing discs...and on so many holes too.
-There are a fair amount if snakes out there, both in water and on land.
-While some people may appreciate this more than others...there is often a police presence (as rockwall is known for) frequently at the park. Use this info to your benefit.
-There are a couple of areas where walkways come close to the field of play, so watch out for pedestrians
Other Thoughts: This is the best course in any direction for about 45 minutes. If your are east of Dallas, this is where you want to play. It's a gorgeous course that has phenomenal replayability. Having the cedars course only 5 minutes away makes for a great 1-2 punch for those traveling or looking for some great play on the weekend.

This was my home course for a long time, so be good to it.

My favorite NE Dallas course

5+    8/2/2015   8/2/2015
Review By: Tokeeffe79
Pros: Great mid and long holes. Clean Park. Wooded and open at different spots and we'll worn. This is a great course and park for friends and family. The first half is mostly wooded and opens up after hole 9. Has long and short Tees. My favorite is hole 17 just a nice long open hole.
Cons: Ran into a Bob cat once. Ha! He let us play through.
Other Thoughts: On those crazy hot days you can finish with a run through the splash pad. Make room kiddos!

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7