Rockwall, TX
Harry Myers DGC Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #1 (Taken 3/2013)
Hole #1 Blue Tee

Share URL:

< Prev 1 2 3
Another Houck classic - and a model for DG in a public park

2-4    6/23/2017   7/17/2017
Review By: armiller
Pros:
-Best course/park interaction I've ever seen (a friend even played with a big weekend park event going on, and that only prevented him from playing holes 1 & 18)
-Good assortment of holes: There are plenty of long shots (mostly with line-carving required) as well as shorter ones. The very tight wooded holes and use of some elevation are a very nice touch. The par 4s and 5s make for good golf.
-Polished: little room for improvement in amenities (tees, baskets, tee signs, course flow, etc.)
-Even without the over-water tournament hole, it's a blast to be able to play the holes you've seen Paul, Simon, Ricky, Jerm, and the other pros throwing on YouTube. Paul's eagle on 2 is already impressive, but just wait til you've thrown it yourself.

Some favorites: 1, 3, 5-9
Cons:
-Can be as frustrating as any other challenging course
-Walking from 8 to 9 crosses 3's fairway
-I didn't like some shots because they basically require going over big trees instead of through (esp. holes 2 and 16 long), but they were still very good holes
First of all, the City of Rockwall has done a great job taking care of this park. Busy public parks attracting many visitors don't always work well with disc golf, but I was amazed by how well Mr. Houck laid out these holes without ever endangering other park users. As my title says, of all the courses I've played this sets the standard for elite disc golf courses on public property/parks. There were some walks between holes that seemed long (1/2, 8/9, 17/18), but I found that an exceedingly small price to pay for such an adeptly laid out course without any squeezed-in holes. The 8 to 9 walk actually crosses 3's fairway, but it's fairly easy for both throwing and walking parties to see one another. The only problem would be if Paul/Simon/Eagle were teeing off on 3. In that case, you're probably not safe anywhere on the course. Overall, I was fine with this, as I'd rather have disc golfers encountering other golfers instead of throwing over paths, playgrounds, or baseball fields.

Overall, I find playing Houck courses interesting as an intermediate player (I played both Trey Texas Ranch and both Selah courses on the same trip). From shorts, I enjoy the golf but am generally able to finish under par and thus desire to stretch my game a little more. From longs, these courses range from reasonable beat-down to straight-up annihilation. Harry Myers was no different, though I was fortunate to escape with just the beat-down. I played a fairly mediocre round from shorts but still managed to shoot one under par. When I came back to play longs, the course ate my lunch. On the par 5 3rd hole, I was punished for not making it over the trees. After a couple escape shots, I took advantage of a very nice approach to get double bogey. On holes 16-17, my already struggling round fell apart, partially due to a substantial headwind which made "over tree" distance difficult. I was 9 up after 16, but gave up keeping honest score on the par 5 17th. Basically, I need to add at least 50' consistent/accurate distance to max drives and improve my pinpoint woods precision to be able to score decently here. I don't think any disc golfer will find this course easy, and the short tees alone will provide sufficient challenge to most of us.

As such, this is the kind of course that is a little too challenging for a peaceful afternoon in the park kind of round. Nevertheless, most golfers who come here know what to expect and this is the right place to challenge or showcase your skills. Whether you discover some weaknesses in your game or are totally up to the challenge, Harry Myers is one that will make you want to return. (As a side note, The Cedars in Fate, TX is only ~4 miles away and was a challenging course as well. Goes well with HM.)

Rating: I settled on 4.5. It's a great course, but doesn't quite hit the 5 mark. I've given a lot of 4s, though, and the quality of the par 5s (especially hole 3) and multiple par 4s make it hard for me to justify anything less. Add to that the fact that there are multiple tees per hole, great signs, multiple signature holes, and an overall great disc golf experience in a nice park... and Harry Myers is undoubtedly special. Many thanks to Rockwall, which I assumed funded the course, and to John Houck!

One of the best courses in the country

1    2/11/2017   2/13/2017
Review By: jeffp
Pros: This is definitely one of the best courses I've ever played. Fairly open with a few wooded holes. Good clear fairways with pretty rough rough if you can't keep it in the fairway. Lots of routes to try, you aren't forced into a specific shot on most holes. A lot of very interesting risk/reward shots. Hole 3 is the best designed par 5 I've ever seen.
Cons: IIRC one of the tee signs was broken? Nothing major.
Other Thoughts: #17 seems to have been redesigned since the pictures on here were taken.

First Time!

1    10/5/2016   10/6/2016
Review By: Shawn K
Pros: As a beginner, this course allowed me to experiment with various discs. Lots of different challenges that require different throws.
Ball golf, or disc golf, I like to get away from the city. Most of the time I felt oneness with the outdoors. Playing at 9am on a Wednesday, only player on the course.
Fairways mowed and very clean. And when I went offline, not hard to find discs.
Cons: Many reviews previously talk about great signage. This was my first time playing and I had to resort to videos and extra walking. Still not sure if I played all blue tees, or maybe a few red tees. Overall, somewhat easy to figure out and I look forward to the new signs supposedly coming.
Other Thoughts: Red tee box, blue tee box. Hey, a little spray paint here would make the world of difference. How about a stripe or spot on each?

Overall, had a great time.

Would like updated information on any mini tournaments. Be good to connect with others and get some tips on playing the course.

Best course east of the mid cities

5+    8/25/2015   9/12/2015
Review By: Tommy2am
Pros: -Grounds kept immaculate year round
-Designed by the greatest course designer in the world, so the course flow is fantastic
-The best teepads, signage, and baskets possible, along with longer and shorter tees, as well as multiple pin positions
-Beautiful course with various trees, rocks, hills, slopes, water hazards, etc.
-Incredible variation which challenges even the best pro players
-There is a water park, kids park, baseball fields, swimming pool, covered tables, great fishing, jogging trails, and more. Just a lot to do at the park
-There are many tournaments here including minis, regular tourneys, and major A-tier pro tournaments
-There are many top level players out here on a regular basis
-Another awesome course is less than 5 minutes away (the cedars)
-There are plenty of things to do around the area from restaurants, bars, retail stores, hotels, etc.
-This course will require every throw there is and in every situation. There are no "throw-away" or "gimme" holes.
Cons: -There is an area that you have to walk from the pin on hole 8 across the fairway of hole 3 that could present an issue...such as a destroyer lodged in your temple. So be careful
-As any top level course, there is a very real danger of losing discs...and on so many holes too.
-There are a fair amount if snakes out there, both in water and on land.
-While some people may appreciate this more than others...there is often a police presence (as rockwall is known for) frequently at the park. Use this info to your benefit.
-There are a couple of areas where walkways come close to the field of play, so watch out for pedestrians
Other Thoughts: This is the best course in any direction for about 45 minutes. If your are east of Dallas, this is where you want to play. It's a gorgeous course that has phenomenal replayability. Having the cedars course only 5 minutes away makes for a great 1-2 punch for those traveling or looking for some great play on the weekend.

This was my home course for a long time, so be good to it.

My favorite NE Dallas course

5+    8/2/2015   8/2/2015
Review By: Tokeeffe79
Pros: Great mid and long holes. Clean Park. Wooded and open at different spots and we'll worn. This is a great course and park for friends and family. The first half is mostly wooded and opens up after hole 9. Has long and short Tees. My favorite is hole 17 just a nice long open hole.
Cons: Ran into a Bob cat once. Ha! He let us play through.
Other Thoughts: On those crazy hot days you can finish with a run through the splash pad. Make room kiddos!

Excellent Place to Play

5+    9/17/2014   9/29/2014
Review By: nateoman5
Pros: Easy to navigate and great signage always pointing you in the right direction.

Beautiful scenery and park with people fishing, running, and splash park for kiddos.

Challenging with variety of hole types with both long and short drive opportunities.

2 driving pads on most hole for your choice of more challenging long drives or easier shorter drives.

Lots of shade to protect you from the hot sun.
Cons: Stay away from course after rain because some of the course sits in a valley and will retain water.

If you're like me, at som point you will throw in the woods, watch out for Poison Ivy.
Other Thoughts: By far the best course I have played in DFW.

great course

5+    3/23/2014   3/29/2014
Review By: JakeGad
Pros: - Good catchers
- Long and short drive pads
- Concrete drive pads
- Excellent variation in shots
- Good use of land / elevation (given it's TX)
Cons: - Some holes are very generous in rating (just knock them down)
- Usually a wait
Other Thoughts: I love this course; good mix on long/short, open/tight, hyzer/annie.

A bit over rated...

1    6/15/2013   6/16/2013
Review By: JeremyKShort
This review was updated on 1/3/2017
Pros: The course is located in a very nice city park with many facilities on site. A mix of holes, including very long ones as well as shorter holes. The holes don't favor any type of thrower over any other, and it makes you pull out a lot of shots. The tee signs, as you would expect on a Houck course, are awesome. For the most part a very easy course to follow.
Cons: Mr. Houck and I seem to have a disagreement on Par on the longer holes. This course has many par 4's and par 5's, and most of those seem overly generous on the par. Hole 1 has no business being a Par 4. In fact, we had someone in our group with birdies or eagles on all of the par 4 or 5 holes, the entire group being first time players at Harry Myers. I'm not sure if the pars are inflated to help people feel better about their score, or to increase the 'Epicness' of the course.

After discussing it with others, I think the par issue is due to both set of tees having the same par. It's a reasonable par for the longs, but the shorts are just absurd with those. It's the same issue you see at other Houck courses, such as McCord.
Other Thoughts: I'm not very big on holes that are extremely long just for the sake of being long. I'm not really entertained by having to hit 3 consecutive 350' drives. And I really thing the inflated par 4 and 5 holes have to knock the rating down a bit.

Could Play Every Week

1    3/23/2013   3/28/2013
Review By: Prafeston
Pros: Walked up to #1 Blue tee and could tell right away I was going to like it. A group of trees obstructs your lines and makes your first throw one you've already got to put some thought into.

The course had a nice mix of tight wooded shots and more open shots. There was also a good use of the land. Couple of the wholes had several elevation changes an turns.

Almost every hole had short and long tees that looked like they provided completely different views of the course. (Except for a few of the really short holes that just used the same tee.) The tees were also very well marked. Signs pointing to them and good hole signage posted at each tee.

Nice big park so the holes weren't bumping into each other a whole lot. Parking lot is setup nice to start on #1 and finish on #18.
Cons: Not a whole lot of negatives to say about this course.

I went on a day that has overcast and a little sprinkling of rain, but I could see how on a nice summer/spring day the park could be crowded and non-DGers might get in the way.

Don't remember the number, but one of the tees you had to walk across the fairway of another hole to get to from the basket of the hole you just finished.

Would have been nice to see the lake come into play a few times.
Other Thoughts: Seems like a really well laid out course at a scenic park. I wouldn't mind this being my home course and playing it every week!

Some really cool holes on the front nine. Loved #6 with the basket tucked behind a tree.

Overall a great course with a nice mix of short, long, open, and wooded holes. Saw some mentioning the back nine being boring, but I liked how it opened up so you could really chuck some drivers. And they weren't so open it was just lame. There were still trees in the field that you had to avoid as well as some more elevation changes.

I was visiting from MO and it reminded me a lot of my home course. I will definitely try to come back here next time I'm visiting my family in the Dallas area.

Go big or go bogey.

2-4    4/16/2012   4/22/2012
Review By: Spookyspence
Pros: HUGE HUGE course
Very well maintained
Holes have long and short tees
Trash cans on nearly ever hole
Water fountains
Bathrooms
Great course for left and right handed players
Cons: None that I can think off
Other Thoughts: This is an amazing course! It is off the main road so its nice and peaceful, they take very very good care of it, all the holes on the course have a good amount of challenge and it doesn't favor right or left handed players more than the other. The first 9 holes are more wooded where you have to follow lines and the back 9 open up for big arm throwers.
Over all if you love disc golf play this course! I would not recommend it to new players because it could be too much for them though.

< Prev 1 2 3