Cedar Hill, TX
Lester Lorch Park - Beaver DGC Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #14 (Taken 3/2013)

1    6/25/2011   6/26/2011
Review By: yourmomrhymes
Pros: Excellent Course
Each hole is different than the one before it.
I really liked how some of the holes would start off in the trees then open up, or vice-versa.
Lots of shade for those hot Texas days
Cons: Briars and thorns in the brush, supposedly snakes (we didn't see any).
Just keep your disc in the fairway and none of these are problems.
Other Thoughts: Great course, we drove from northern Dallas down to play it and it was well worth it. Even if you don't play the second course on site, its still worth the drive.
Cannot wait to go back

Lea/e it to Bea/er

1    1/18/2011   6/7/2011
Pros: 1) Excellent layout on this di/erse property. Water comes into play, some tighter technical holes, some ele/ation change, some longer more open holes,a nd some longer parklike holes too . . . all in all a nice di/ersity of hole types.

2) Turf is in pretty decent shape on this course e/en in the woods. It almost seems like whoe/er did the design/install of those wooded holes knew to use a special type of grass seed because it was healthy under what I would think is /ery minimal sunlight and growing turf in the woods is no easy task . . . trust me I ha/e been doing it my whole life.

3) Shade is pre/alent on this course and the other course which I am sure is welcomed in season. I played it in winter and it was pleasant!

4)Concrete tees are nice.

5) Tee signs on both courses are helpful in na/igation and they ha/e all the information needed. Hole # Par, Distance, and a hole map with OB's indicated. A welcome site for a tra/elling disc golfer.

6) Garbage cans all o/er the place which is nice to see . . . if only e/eryone used them!

7) Chainstar baskets in great condition. I lo/e these baskets!!!

Cons: 1) Lots of areas on the course would be slick and muddy after a rain, but the turf is in pretty good condition on most areas of this course.

2) Small parking area lot but it is only for disc golfers since that is all this park has to offer.

3) Snake Preser/e seriously . . . I wish I knew that when I played it. Seems like a risk to play when the snakes are acti/e but I suppose when I was there in January they weren't really acti/e.

Other Thoughts: It sounds like I missed out on a lot of the complaints about this course because of the time of year I was there. Another perk to be a tra/elling disc golfer like myself . . . plus I didn't ha/e to deal with the 100 degree temperatures.

A great course, a great design, great /ariety, and 36 holes on site . . . what more could we ask for . . .other than bathrooms and a bar and grill with air conditioning, but that is just not going to happen.

This is on the low end of the 4.5 and the high end of the 4.0 rating, but I feel like a 4.0 rating is a disser/ice to such a fun course.

5+    4/14/2011   5/14/2011
Review By: Frank-Flyer
Pros: This course is great like its counter-part Coyote. This course is more open, for the most part especially the front 9. From 10 - 13 it gets kind of tight like Coyote. The trees do block that hot Texas sun, but that means you'll have to have really good lines on those holes or your next shot could be bad. For the rest of the course, you'll be throwing through some less threatening trees and some open ares.

The tees are concrete and in great shape, the baskets are solid, and the signs are great. The signs have the distances as well as a map showing OBs and the occasional MANDO. Holes 8,9, and 17 utilize the small fishing pond very well.
Cons: If you're playing after a heavy rain expect mud, but the bigger problem will be hole 9. If you happen do turn a disc over to the right you'll be trudging through a swamp to find it. This hole if very fun, but just be mindful of the swamp after a rain.I've also come across a very big snapping turtle there... careful.

Trash is also a slight problem. There are plenty of trashcans so this is mostly due to players not being responsible.
Other Thoughts: This course also has new short tees marked with the irrigation flags as well. For some of the holes the short tee will be a huge relief for newer players, or weaker arms. (ie. #1)

Enjoy the course, take care of your trash, and be friendly around. You'll probably meet some really great folks! :)

5+    4/15/2011   4/19/2011
Review By: Riceman
Pros: unlike some disc golf courses that share the land with a park (picnic tables, walking path, etc.), lorch park is strictly for disc golfers.

two 18 hole courses together.

great scenery.

unlike many courses, wind has little effect because of all of the trees.
Cons: poison ivy....that is about it

Other Thoughts: i have lived within seven miles of this park since it has been opened and never noticed it. i have only been playing for six months, and i still get angry that i didn't discover disc golf sooner. this is a great location well worth the drive, and cedar hill has many great restaurants. parking lot is not that bad. my car is lowered and i have no problems.

5+    2/19/2011   1/10/2011
Review By: sheamous
This review was updated on 8/3/2011
Pros: Wide variety of hole types. The longest fairways on the front nine will try to deceive you, as the back nine gets tree heavy and approaches become increasingly more difficult. Overall, I really like Beaver. The course sits in a very secluded deep and woody park which makes for beautiful scenery. The hole types and design of the course is one of the best in the state. Lots of trash cans. Great cement teepads. Three water hazard holes. Great use of terrain. Porta-John in the parking lot is always clean.
Cons: Limited parking. The back nine can get a bit wet if it's rained recently, watch out for briars and poison ivy, but that's pretty typical for most courses in the area.
Other Thoughts: Well worth the drive. Sort of centrally located for all DFW disc golfers. A must play if it's on you wish list and if it's not then you better put it on there, cause you're missing out.

Great Mix

1    7/27/2010   10/18/2010
Review By: lazy42
This review was updated on 3/25/2011
Pros: Course seems to be dedicated to DG. Porta-John in parking lot. Kiosk near hole 1 with good information. Course was clean and maintained well. Another DG park on same grounds.

Concrete tee pads. Tee signs with layouts. Trashcans throughout course. Benchespicnic tables to sit and relax. Navigation through course was pretty intuitive, even without map. Some elevation, but nothing extreme.

Great variety of holes on one course. Open, semi-wooded, heavily wooded, tunnel shot, water obstacles, a few blind tee shots, long and short holes too. Multiple pin locations available.

Never once did I feel like I was going to lose my disc in the rough, though may have been due to the time of year I played.
Cons: Parking lot was tore up and small. Not that big of a deal, but worth noting.

Hole 5 was pretty spongy, hole 9 was all but unplayable due to high water over path, had to walk through woods to get to pin after tee shot.
Other Thoughts: Besides holes 11, 12, and 13, this course felt a lot like the courses in the Midwest, it was hard at times to remember I was in Texas while playing. And that's not a bad thing since that's where I live, just thought I would note it for those who haven't played any Midwest courses.

Interesting thought: If there would be a swap of holes between Beaver and Coyote: 11, 12, and 13 of Beaver fit in better on Coyote, and 1, 14, 15, and 16 of Coyote fit better on Beaver. Not a negative comment, but that would make the courses completely different than each other, however, this just makes you want to play both courses during a visit.

Overall, I had fun playing, but there weren't really enough holes that just blew me away. The water holes are more difficult mentally than they are a throwing challenge, fun nonetheless, but not overly challenging.

Couple of holes worth noting: Hole 1 is a very long (480') uphill hole. Not as easy as it looks as the trees in the fairway force you to keep your shots down, but combining the two makes for a great challenge. Hole 10 is fantastic. It's a great tunnel shot through a bunch of trees, then turns left @ around 300' or so.

Yet another terrific course

1    10/3/2010   10/5/2010
Review By: TerrenceJackson
Pros: This course is stellar. It is well mapped out, goes through some very scenic territory, and it is actually challenging, which I believe helps build confidence. Met some great guys out there, and since I didn't know the course, they let me join their game. Overall, it was a great experience, and I will go back to play again.
Cons: You have to be really good at throwing over the pond. I threw too early and lost a disc in the pond, and then a friend borrowed a disc from me and proceeded to do the same. The pond is disgusting, and the area has water moccasins, so I won't be walking in to get my discs. This isn't really a con, so much as you simply need to have good throws on hole 17.

Good Drive for a Good Course

1    8/1/2010   8/16/2010
Review By: goodolrebel
Pros: Makes you throw every kind of shot, from long bombs across the pond on three holes to finesse shots on the back 9. Still working my flicks and forhand shots so the back 9 eat me lunch, but still had a good time. The course is easy to follow. The Course has good Tee-Boxes and good shade for those hot summer days
Cons: Out in the middle of no where so make sure you bring plenty of fluids. #2 Tee-Box is in the parking lot
Other Thoughts: This a fun course to play. there's 2 courses at Lester Lorch The Beaver and the Coyote we where going to play The Coyote course also but it was 102 the day we played and ran out of water. I really enjoyed playing the Beaver Course. Nice, Fun course will definatly be playing this course again.

DFW's best

5+    7/6/2010   7/6/2010
Review By: Pizza God
Pros: Cement tee pads on every hole.

Tee Signs on every hole.

Great use of the varied land. 3 shots over the edges of the pond. (my disc landed on the Beaver Dam today)

the open holes have some length to air it out.

Has a few good tunnel shots thrown in.

Benches/picnic tables on several of the back up holes.
Cons: It was dry today, but hole 5 can be VERY muddy in the spring.

Tee pads need to be cleaned off on a few holes. I think it was 13 that was totally covered by dirt.

Poison Ivy
Other Thoughts: When ever I play Cedar Hill, I play both courses back to back. (Beaver 1 - 16, Coyote 2-1, Beaver 17-18)

This is why I call it DFW's best, when both courses are taken into consideration, it is THE place to play in the DFW area.

Out of the 2, the Beaver may be the better course. however I tend to shoot better on it than the Coyote.

I always enjoy listening to the birds as I play. Other than someone mowing there yard today, It was very quiet.

Great Course!!!

2-4    5/31/2010   6/9/2010
Review By: AequitasVeritas
This review was updated on 7/5/2010
Pros: -Great water shots! They can be extremely intimidating.
-Plenty of bombing holes.
-Some really great dogleg/tree holes
-Concrete boxes
-Has an info kiosk
-The locals are great
-2 excellent course right there!
Cons: -Can get hot during the summer, but hey, it is Texas!
-Parking lot is rather small
-#2 tee pad
Other Thoughts: Decided to go out there and play on Memorial Day. Ran into some guys I have played with at Z-Boaz a few times. All around fantastic course. The first 3 holes ate my lunch since I did not warm up. I would highly recommend warming up! And definitely bring something to drink during the summer. It can be a scorcher on the few holes that are in the open!

There aren't any restrooms here so plan accordingly.

The #2 Tee Pad is on asphalt parking lot. I slipped pretty good there. Its not bad, I just wish it was concrete. Still a badass tree hole though!

Can't wait for fall to play it when I am not drenched in sweat. :)