Hitchcock, TX
Jack Brooks Park - Gulf Meadows Share
Uploaded By: ERicJ Hole #3 (Taken 6/2012)
Hole #3 Approach: New, longer position

Share URL:

2-4    4/25/2010   4/27/2010
Review By: Martin Dewgarita
Pros: A friendly course with seemingly mystical properties, ie. you may randomly run into some guy that you don't know, but actually do know and had planned on meeting him later that week, or that some of the baskets are cursed (hole 8, nearly all of us had a 3 putt). But that's all besides the point, in all, I really enjoyed this course, enough to play another round as soon as I finished my first round.

Parking. A decent parking lot, large enough to fit as much traffic as they seem to get, with a porta-john, an information kiosk with scorecards (no map), and a picnic table.

Variety of holes. I did like the decent variety offered here. There are several open holes with nice ace runs, and some with decent length (500+ feet), several dog legs, both directions with the either the basket or tee tucked into the tree line. And several accuracy shots through the trees. The holes offered a decent challenge, yet a reasonable chance at shooting a 3 on each basket and many opportunities for ace runs and birdies.

Tidy. For the number of people playing, and low number of garbage cans I saw, the park was relatively well kept with very little litter. The fairways were all well maintained, whether it was mowed grass or most of the brush was removed from the fairways. Some pesky little bushes on several of the wooded holes made skip shots more of a challenge.

Layout. Despite the lack of a map, I was able to navigate fairly easily, though I did have to ask a local where hole 10 started (on the right side of hole 1, about halfway down the fairway). The overall layout is nice as the front 9 and back 9 occupy two separate sections of the park, and you pass right through the parking lot between the two to restock on supplies from the vehicle.

Number of people playing. A decent drive from Houston kept the crowds down, there was a steady flow of traffic in and out of the course but it never got backed up. As a solo golfer I was able to pass a couple groups and had the course mostly wide open.

Friendliness. Being from Minnesota, I hear the term "Minnesota Nice" all the time, but don't always see it in action. Not that people in MN are mean, but I don't get the vibe that I felt here in Texas, and it's probably not just this course, but I'm going to include it here. Everybody I came across was extremely friendly and helpful.

Multiple courses on site. Though I didn't play the other course, it's always nice to have multiple choices, or to be able to play two different courses in the same park.
Cons: Tees. Though sufficient, there's room for improvement here. Entirely natural (I think) many had a layer of almost kitty litter (I guess I didn't look too close, it must have been dry dirt clumps, or possibly a gravel), this made the dirt slippery and I lost my footing on a couple of drives. Some of the tees don't offer quite enough room for a full run up (though those holes a full run up shouldn't be necessary). Also a couple of the tees are confusing as to which one you're supposed to use (namely hole two), I guess really you can use whichever you feel like, but every hole doesn't have a long and a short tee, though for a few holes I did find a hidden gold tee.

Signage. Most of the holes had a post with a rough diagram, hole number, and yardage. Some of them only had the hole number. Improvements could easily be made, I'd be completely satisfied if every hole gave me the yardage and a rough diagram, though nice tee signs with maps would be excellent. Also, there was rarely any direction given for navigating the course, occasionally I questioned myself, or had to look around for a minute or two, or ask a local, a couple strategically placed arrows would be nice.

Multiple Baskets Visible. On a couple of holes, there were two baskets visible from the tee that appear to be in range, pay attention to the distance and the direction the tee is facing and it shouldn't be a problem, though I questioned myself on a couple instances, I always ended up at the correct basket.

No Map. A map at the beginning, or a map on the score card would help with navigation.

Baskets. The baskets definitely do their job, but some of them are falling apart in places, or the chains are so corroded they look as though they may fall apart soon.

No practice basket. I saw many people using hole 18 as a practice basket, which may be fairly dangerous, as it is a blind hole and somebody could easily throw at you while practicing there, a practice basket would alleviate that problem.
Other Thoughts: An overall enjoyable course with a decent challenge, though relatively easy to par (no I didn't par it, I shot 6 over, but could easily see myself parring it). Definitely worth a stop if in the area, make a day out of it and play both courses in the park.

Favorite hole:
I enjoyed firing a big sweeping hyzer towards the 'blind' basket of hole two. It's not entirely blind though, as after the shot is thrown you can view through a lane seemingly cut out of the trees directly at the basket, so if you can see your disc land, you know you had a perfect shot, if you can't see it, you may have to spend a moment searching for it. I got a thrill from watching my disc park at the base of the basket through that lane after releasing the huge hyzer shot.

Nice hike with discs

1    4/3/2010   4/4/2010
Review By: kuhlmarl
Pros: Nice mix of annies and hyzers, long open shots and tight short shots. Course is relatively easy to navigate. I prefer the well-marked dirt tees featured by courses like this one to concrete ones. Surrounded by a beautiful park with picnic area, playground, tennis courts, walking/biking trails. In fact, the last 3 holes trace along a hiking trail, requiring short, accurate throws. Convenient design for completing 9 or 18 baskets. #18 is available for putting practice for warm-up.
Cons: Scorecard does not have a "mini-map" on it, nor is a course guide available. There is only one set of tees/pins, so there's only one way to play it--I don't think this would be great as a "home course".
Other Thoughts: I banked a birdy putt in off of a tree on #15--any course that has a helpful tree is a good one in my book! It was not hot when I played, but in the heat of summer, you will be out in the hot sun for a good part of the course--bring sunscreen and water.

the little sister of cedar hills

1    1/31/2010   2/10/2010
Review By: hognosesucker
Pros: -this course has a decent amount of hole variety anhyzers, hyzers straight shots, as well as wide open holes and fairly wooded holes
-double loop design making for a stop at the parking lot to get drinks, food etc.
-decent length variety ranging from 185-->500(?)
-some of the holes that ended in the woods had nice pin placement that were either decently protected or kind of risky (on small hillsides)
-Nice, champ level course on site.
Cons: -natural tee pads were kind of sloppy when I played here, probably not a continual problem, but nasty after rain.
-better signage would have been nice, course just has 4x4 posts with hole number, length and routes. We had a pretty excellent guide here but I'd imagine we would have been wandering around a bit looking for pins and navigating btwn holes had he not shown us around.
-While there was some shot variety here, a lot of holes seemed either throwing from outside the trees to a basket slightly tucked into the trees or throwing from <100 inside the trees to a wide open pin. Then there were also completely open holes and wooded holes. I guess I would like to have seen some more variety in the holes throwing into and out of the woods ie throwing from outside the woods in, but make it a tight opening and put the pin 100' in.
-The wide open holes were pretty boring with very few trees and flat.
Other Thoughts: I think while reading reviews for this course, I hyped it up a bit too much in my head, that it was kind of a let down for me. I had a similar experience at McDade on the big Houston trip.

But this is certainly a fun course that would be challenging for a low level am player. So in that way it serves it's purpose now that cedar hills is in place. I would recommend playing the course and making a day of Jack Brooks.

5+    1/6/2010   2/4/2010
Review By: bobbeno
Pros: Nice layout, throwing blind in the woods to the open on a couple of holes is a nice effect, a few long holes, finishing up in the woods is a nice feel, baskets and tee boxes are in pretty good shape. A little out of the way but worth it, especially when the second course is all the way done.
Cons: Gets muddy after it rains, especially in the wooded areas;
Other Thoughts: First timers - print a map and bring bug spray

My First Course

5+    6/26/1999   10/26/2009
Review By: Trampy1
Pros: Good variety of holes. Some tight wooded holes on 16 and 17. Hole 18 has a blind curve over a stream that has eaten a few of my discs. Hole 12 is a rip-it hole. Alot of fun. This is where I learned to play and try different throws. Haven't been back to play since leaving college, but have always loved this course.
Cons: When it rains.....it floods. Bring skeeter spray!
Other Thoughts: Want to try the new 18 they just put in!

Party Time Down in Hitchcock Tx.

1    6/2/2009   6/2/2009
Review By: SpringDgLover
This review was updated on 12/23/2009
Pros: Jack Brooks #1 is a well laid out, challenging, unique course about 30 miles south of Houston. It resides in a large park complex that houses not only two of the best disc golf courses in Houston but also some of the best mountain biking trails this side of Austin. Being that I reside in North Houston I am used to playing through pine trees. This course on the other hand is full of cypress, oak, and dogwoods, this may not sound like a big deal, but the difference in trees gives this course a very unique feel. It almost felt like playing some of the courses up in Austin like Searight and Brushy Creek. The hole variety is excellent, with tight technical shots into small "cubbies" and long open bombers from 400 to 500 feet and I love the use of elevation on a course you would think was basically flat. The last three holes are as tight as they come and offer another challenge in an already varied course.
Cons: The cages at this course are starting to show their age, although they are still serviceable. The natural teepads can be bothersome, but are nowhere near as bad as those at Agnes Moffit. The bugs out here can get big real BIG and the spiders can be even bigger, so be careful when reaching for those stray discs. The aforementioned trees provide beautiful scenery but also can eat or catch your discs in their dense branches. I have heard other reviewers talk about the mosquitoes and I can definitely see them being a problem out there, but luckily I didn't encounter any on my first trip out, but as always keep that can off Deep Woods Off handy.
Other Thoughts: First off this is an excellent course, I can't stress that enough. It is extremely playable with challenges a plenty and will keep you interested the whole way through. It can be a drive to get there especially depending on where you're coming from. But don't let that dissuade you. Jack Brooks #1 is well worth the trip.

Jack Brooks is a one-two punch.

2-4    6/6/2009   5/14/2009
Review By: srm_520
This review was updated on 3/28/2010
Pros: Jack Brooks - Gulf Meadows makes two big loops in a fairly clever layout that uses great pin placement to maximize the minor elevation changes. Each hole is marked with a simple wood post designating the number and yardage, and some even have the hole layout drawn on the post.

Holes are diverse, ranging from tight wooded tunnels to wide-open 500' bomb shots. With the average hole length a bit under 300', the course focuses more on accuracy and disc placement rather the big arm drives. However, the back nine opens up with a little more length for people who aren't fans of technical shots.

There are ample cool seating areas at most holes, lots of shady overgrowth, a port-a-john by hole one, and trash cans spread throughout area. Gulf Meadows is very well maintained even if the baskets are showing their age. The final three holes are strong finishers that are short but frustrating. The 230' blind curve right on #18 is deceptively hard and the dense shrubbery on the left will eat your disc if you're not careful. Note that hole #18 also makes an excellent practice basket for warming up.

BEST HOLE/S: #16; #17
Cons: The tee boxes are natural which felt right in the short technical holes under the trees, however the long open holes could certainly use concrete boxes for a player trying to maximize distance.

Mosquitoes were abundant and there wasn't even standing water, so I highly recommend bringing the bug spray. Some transitions from one hole to another can be tricky the first time out, so bring a map and watch for signs.

Note for first timers: Hole #12 pin is the one on the right.

WORST HOLE/S: #7
Other Thoughts: Jack Brooks was an extremely enjoyable experience. The holes were diverse and challenging, yet at the same time rewarded accuracy with multiple looks at birdie attempts. It serves as a good companion to the freshly installed new course down the road. Given the comparison to the two courses, new players may prefer this course to the longer and much more challenging Cedar Hills.

Note: the Jack Brooks Cedar Hills course now has baskets completely installed, however there are no marked tee boxes, posted yardage, maps, or numbers on the baskets yet - so if you're headed to the course, you had better take someone who has previously played it.

Great Course

5+    4/29/2009   4/30/2009
Review By: bobpanico
Pros: Fun course for both beginners and veterans. Great layout with variety of holes in open and wooded areas.
Cons: Bring lots of mosquito spray. They can be really bad as they are now (4/30/09).
Other Thoughts: Thanks to the volunteers who put in many hours to keep the course in shape.

Good Saturday...

5+    1/10/2009   2/18/2009
Review By: jlow54
Pros: Great mix of long, short, left, and right shots. It provides a challenge to anyone. Couple of holes in the trees, then a couple in the open. I personally love the mix.
Cons: You could get discouraged if you dont have the arm to make some great drives. If you go too far into the woods it is hard to retrieve your disc if you didnt see exactly where it went in.
Other Thoughts: My friends and I gladly make the 50 minute drive to play this course. This is probably one of the groups favorite out of town courses. Must-play at least once.

Jack out da box

2-4    12/26/2008   12/28/2008
Review By: gsuslikesme
Pros: It is fun. Granted I am not a disc golf veteran, but this was a very fun, very challenging course. There is a great mix of heavily wooded tunnel-like holes as well as wide open let-her-rip holes. There are other disc golfers out there all of the time. It is definitely an adventure to play this course with many challenges.
Cons: Don't play this course alone...you WILL lose a disc. There were 5 of us with a couple of spotters on a few holes and we almost lost discs. If you can't find your disc, it is still up in the trees. The pace can be a little slow if there are a lot of people out there. If it has rained you will get mud on your shoes especially in the wooded areas.
Other Thoughts: I highly recommend this course. It is a great course for beginners and old pros. A good mix of easy birdies as well as bogeys. I am looking forward to playing the second 18 that seems to be almost finished.

I almost got my 1st ace on #16, hit the top ring. And the crowd goes wild....