Grand Rapids, MI
Johnson Park Share
Uploaded By: FoleyT Hole #2
Hole #2 Target (#17 in the background)

Share URL:

The hills have baskets!

2-4    10/10/2017   10/10/2017
Review By: BuzzArmStrong
Pros: I played this course years ago with poles and was impressed by the elevation change and unique challenges presented by the dramatic changes. At the time I was super happy to have played it and was confused why other parks had baskets while this gem seemed to be neglected. Fortunately this conundrum no longer exists. Thanks to a number of sponsors this park is in tip top shape.

Brand new innova disc catchers. Brand new cement tee pads. Brand new tee signs. All the equipment is in great shape, no gripes.

I believe a few of the holes went through a re-design in the process of building this course. A lot of the holes I remembered from my first trip out and seemed familiar but I believe there may have been a few changes as well but the time in between my two rounds was long enough that I can't be sure beyond saying that a handful of the holes play the same.

Elevation change is used in a variety of ways. Two shots crossing ravines to hillside baskets one of which that forces a left to right hook. One straight uphill fairway that makes a 180 foot hole play like 300. Hard left hooks going uphill, soft left going downhill. Hills that drop off precariously behind baskets that force distance control. The long straight uphill fairway followed by the nearly 500 foot downhill bomb in holes 17 and 18.

Hole 18 is a super fun way to end your round. Certainly a tee that you can stand at and empty your entire bag and wish you had brought more discs to huck. From what I can remember every single course I have played that features significant elevation change seems to end with a big downhill hole to end the round. Maybe this is an unwritten rule of course design? Make us forget about that putt that rolled 60 feet down the hill after hitting the cage by making us feel like we can drive 500 feet. Is that it?

A couple of shots have blind baskets which I think adds to the desire to play a course over and over again as it rewards familiarity.
Cons: I felt as though a few of the holes would benefit from some more foliage. A couple of them just seem like the only real obstacle was the elevation and since every hole pretty much deals with elevation in some manner it seems kind of like a filler hole when that is really the only challenge.

A little bit heavily weighted on RHBH throws. Can only think of two instances that really favored a anhyzer line.

Some tough par 3's but no true par 4's on the course. The land is certainly there and I think throwing in a couple holes that require multiple drives to reach the pin would be great.

Other Thoughts: I wish I lived closer to this course. Super enjoyable round through all the ups and downs (see what I did there?). Thanks again to all the sponsors that made the restoration of this park a reality, great job.

One of my Favorites

2-4    8/5/2013   8/15/2013
Review By: myhouseinthewoods
Pros: - Great crazy level hills through-out the park - in which one hole you go down a steep hill just to go up another steep one.
Cons: - Hard to find for new people. The first time I've went to this park - even with my car - I couldnt find where to go for at least 20 minutes, and even got sidetracked walking into the forest lands. I even asked a few locals with no help.
- Can get really hot during the middle of summer being up top of some of these high level hills, so best to bring a drink.
- Can get confusing trying to find some holes, as it seems a couple have dissapeared - but it should be expected since as the park is old.
Other Thoughts: - In order to easily reach the park, just continue down past the local park until you feel you have reached a gravel drive way to your left - of course though most people come from that direction.
- The last time I've took a bike ride to, there were two strange kids, and my brother swears one had a axe in his pants, so be careful around this park, as it may be a good idea to bring a back-up knife.
- Theres only poles, no baskets.
- No concrete tee pads, mostly dirt
- Despite some of the cons I have put down, this park is still one of my favorites cause of the crazy terrain - gotta give the park credit for uniqueness.

Go early or late

5+    9/5/2010   3/28/2011
Review By: libertine5010
Pros: Great terrain and post layouts. Beautiful landscape with rolling hills and fantastic skylines. This is where I learned to play and this will probably always be my favorite course.
Cons: NO BASKETS. Stupid kids ruined them a few years ago so now we are stuck with posts for now. Also, avoid raining, humid days. Bugs and mud will be plenty. I suggest wearing high socks if you plan on wearing shorts because there are pricker bushes galore if you land in the rough. I personally thrive in this atmosphere however. This is the "manliest" course in the Grand Rapids region.
Other Thoughts: If this course had a bi-monthly mowing and baskets, it would earn a 5 without a doubt.

used to be good

5+    10/30/2001   10/30/2010
Review By: discdeviant
Pros: I'll give it a 4 because it used to be a really fun course before a bunch of scumbag lowlifes stole baskets and gutted the course. A cool mix of shots with good elevation changes. Hole 18 is a blast!
Cons: Last I knew no baskets remain--just pole targets. Some throwers will consider it too short
Other Thoughts: 97 Am Worlds course

memories

5+    5/1/2001   10/6/2009
Review By: nrohtlaw
This review was updated on 11/28/2009
Pros: Great views of Grand Valley(great spot to watch Grandville's 4th of July fireworks,can see radio tower by Brewer park from here as well).It has a very unique layout playing accross valleys and up and down hills.Lots of elevation changes,extreme hyzers,and risk reward putting.Could be compared to Flip City or some of the northern MI courses for the amount of elevation changes and views.
Cons: No baskets,no maintanance,no cement tee pads,no cares for the park by the local league or the township.
Other Thoughts: I started playing disc golf in 1994 at this course.There used to be a rope swing in the woods and I seen that they installed baskets.I had no clue as to what they were until I have seen people playing.Around this time there was 18 baskets and the park was very busy,almost as busy as Brewer Park.I took up the game there and have not stopped playing since.I guess I could say that Johnson park made me fall in love with the game.Through the years I have seen the baskets disappear but never stopped there playing for a while.A couple of friends and I took it upon ourselves to replace with what there used to be a basket to a 4x4 post.We would also during the game,fill in the tee pads with dirt or move the tee pads slightly because of dense foilage growing over them.I even took it upon myself to move the pins on #12 and #13 because of erosion and personal issues.After #12 don't walk up the hill to play #13,go to the left just downhill from 11's post and play it flat toward the post.I am sure anyone would find this helpful if they don't want to walk up the same hill twice.If you have a portable basket and a couple of willing friends I suggest lugging it around this park.It breaks my heart to see this park gone to hell,it is the best next to Flip City I have ever played.I wish now that the sport has grown so much since the good old days that someone would take the initiative, like I have, to get baskets back here.After there was 3 baskets stolen in one weekend I got fed up and stopped caring for it or playing it.I live in Florida now, but Johnson Park will always be in my heart and at the top of my list.Johnson Park is where I learned the game.