Kenai, AK
Kenai Eagle DGC Share
Uploaded By: Discette Hole #2 (Taken 8/2019)

Eagle Eye Birdie Bender

1    8/22/2019   9/2/2019
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Kenai Eagle DGC plays fast and fun. There are two or three holes that toe the 300 foot line, but there are a lot more that are in 150'-250' range. Quite a few trees will be in play so shot shaping is important, but you can go low if your putter is working. I had several marginal tee shots that still left me with makable putts. The layout is 18 holes and they're all par 3. Apparently some holes do have longer alternate tees, but they're not on the map and I didn't seek them out.

There are tee signs that list the distance for each hole. The boxes have rubber mats that are installed well and provide a nice level surface to get a drive off. Baskets are yellow DISCatchers that are sound and reliable.

There is some gentle elevation change on a couple of holes. Between that and stands of trees, you have to throw blind from time to time. Luckily it isn't a long walk if you want to walk up and take a peek. Grass can be tall, but it is usually not covering large areas that are hard to search. Balance of left and right turns from the tee with a few that are pretty straight forward.
Cons: This isn't an expert level course. I only used a driver 3 or 4 times, it's mostly mid range or putters here for me. A lot of fun and has technical elements, but not what a pro player is wanting to visit on the regular.

Some of the holes are fairly close together. It wasn't at all crowded when I went but if it ever is, you should be on the watch for other players on adjacent holes. While you don't want to hit other disc golfers, do make sure to throw at the right basket. Usually it's obvious where to aim from the tee, but I almost threw the wrong way from the box once.
Other Thoughts: I was bummed out that I finished one shot over par for my only round on Kenai Eagle DGC. I bogies 9 and 11, and I birdied 12. Par everywhere else, but I two putted on nine other holes. They just weren't dropping for me on that morning. If you're on point it could turn into a mid forties number on the scorecard.

It is a great little course that is well maintained and a lot of fun. Luckily the bugs weren't an issue at all for me. I wish I could have played a few more laps, but there were so many other courses to play and not enough time.

If you find your self in Kenai with plenty of time to disc golf, play this one and then go play the North Peninsula Rec. DGC in Nikiski. It's a short drive to a long course, that is the flip side opposite of Kenai Eagle DGC.

my new home course!

5+    8/12/2019   8/16/2019
Review By: mhulkman
Pros: rubber tees and real baskets! Tee signs with yardage, easy to navigate. The course is in great shape at the moment, fairly easy to find your disc unless you shank it. Mosquitos were not an issue in August!
Cons: The only con is safety. Altho I really like the overall design of the course several baskets/fairways are right on top of each other. So if the course is crowded it can be quite dangerous, especially baskets 1-4. When teeing off on #1 you need to wait til group in front of you has finished the first 4 baskets. Might have been a better and much safer course had they just put in 12 baskets but as long as its not crowded I like it how it is.
Other Thoughts: Due to its short holes this course is very beginner friendly and very tourist friendly!

Best In The Peninsula

2-4    8/28/2015   9/13/2015
Review By: Mr. Butlertron
Pros:
- Free course
- Free parking
- Course map rubber tees
- Signs with distances
- 18 holes
- Bright baskets
Cons:
- Not a huge variety of hole lengths
- Slight overlapping of fairways
- Some tees in the line of fire of previous hole
- No map on tee signs made for confusion
- Blind tee offs
Kenai Eagle's course holes average out under 300 ft, with mostly spruce trees filling and shaping the fairways. It was short, but not too short. It was challenging, but it didn't rely on luck to navigate the through fairways. I dislike short 18s mostly because I feel a longer 9 holes with multiple tees would be better, on this course you could argue either way. It says there's red and white tees on here, but I only saw one set. Regardless, this course was by far the best in the Kenai/Soldotna area and defiantly the only tournament ready course. Broken glass was an issue around a few baskets, but for the most part, the fairways were clean. I was really loving the rubber mats too.

I think they could do a little better job making the baskets more visible by doing a little tree/branch trimming. The course wasn't especially thick with vegetation, but I still had a hard time figuring out where to throw nonetheless. There were often blind or partially blind views from the tee to basket, even though the fairways were straight and shortish. Some of these holes I had to walk way up the fairway to figure out where to throw to. Also, it would have been nice if more holes had multiple lines instead of what the fairway forces. Another thing I disliked was the proximity between baskets and tee pads, especially on blind shots. Holes 16-18 are good examples of this.

Overall, I had a fun time playing Kenai Eagle. I had been looking for an excuse to finally see what DG was like south of Anchorage. I'm not saying I'd come here just to play the course, but I'd probably make the trip from Anchorage to see what a tournament would be like. If you're already in the area it's defiantly worth checking out.

Somebody cares for this course.

1    8/16/2011   8/23/2011
Review By: Steve West
Pros: Well-marked, and maintained, easy to navigate, and lots of shot shaping. Some length variety.
Cons: Some holes are situated too close to other tees or fairways. Not a lot of variety in types of hole.
Other Thoughts: You'll be throwing around and through a lot of trees.

I was there when some blue tees and mandos (some for red, some for blue) were marked with paint. I hope these become permanent.

Overall, it feels like someone squeezed the course into some unused land between the baseball field and the golf course - and did a good job of creating the only kind of course that could go here. I'd like to see what they would do with a more interesting landscape.

DG in the winter!

5+    4/1/2010   4/1/2010
Review By: iamharrythehat
Pros: I have played this course all winter long, one game it was -8. The discs really fly long in the colder air. It is for sure a technical course as a lot of the baskets you can't see from the T-box. We marked our discs with flourescent orange carpenters chalk so we could find them in the snow.
Cons: The out of bounds are really deep thick brush, easy to lose a disc in but I guess that's part of the challenge, stay out of the brush!
Other Thoughts: There is no policing of the area consequently it gets trashed and vandalized. Lots of litter accumulates so we have to carry trash bags with us to help keep it clean.

DG in the land of the midnight sun

2-4    7/16/2009   8/21/2009
Review By: DGWookie
This review was updated on 8/24/2009
Pros: The Kenai Eagle is a great little DGC. It is not a very long course, but accuracy is required. There are a lot of trees to play around and hill ledges to be aware of. One good roller and you're hunting for your disc.

Can easily play two games in a row
Bright yellow topped DISCatcher baskets
Beautiful woodsy course
Not very crowded
Cons: Mosquitoes, mosquitoes, mosquitoes - don't forget the bug spray!!!
Other Thoughts: Be aware of wildlife in the area. The second day I played there was a moose on hole #6. Take your camera, maybe you'll see one too!