Cedar Hill, TX
Lester Lorch Park - Coyote DGC Share
Uploaded By: cooleyes37 Hole #14 (Taken 3/2009)
Hole #14 Tee: Basket guarded by grove of cedars. The alternate pin placement is to the right, tucked into a grove of dense trees.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6
Technical disc golf at its best.

1    6/23/2017   11/10/2017
Review By: The Katana Kid
Pros: The course is mostly made up of hilly woods with tight lines. From a technical stand point it's one of the best courses I've seen. The course description of a "large nature preserve" says a lot. It's not only a well designed course through heavy woods, but a great piece of nature that's worth visiting.

Even though there are a few open grassy areas, the trees still come into play. For example, 18 is only 200 feet. One review calls it an ace run, which it is for better players. But when I looked at it I just shook my head. I'm predominantly RHFH but this line is made for a RHBH since the first 50 feet is a tight line between trees before opening to a field, then across it to the left the basket is set into the woods down the slope. It's an excellent challenge to end your round. I threw a Katana with my RHFH and got it through the trees then out of sight and with a perfect S curve it hit the chains. Although it didn't stay in for the ace that's still a very memorable shot which maybe causes more appreciation for the hole than it deserves. Anyway, my point is that with all the different lines and angles Coyote provides, you will be using all the shots in your arsenal and most of your discs to pull it off.
Cons: "Caution: Poisonous snake habitat-- rattlesnakes, water moccasins, copperheads, the coral snake." It is hard to say that snakes are a negative, but I kept thinking about it, especially when I was going after an errant throw in the rough. I had good boots on and it made me feel a little safer except for when I was reaching in a rough area without good visibility or walking under a thick canopy overhead which looked like a perfect hangout since some of these serpents like trees.
Other Thoughts: Eaarlier in the day I was at Harry Myers, which is a great Houck course. In a chat with some locals at Harry Myers, they said, "You should leave right now and go to Lester Lorch if you want the best around here. It's got the top 2 courses in the area!" After playing both Lester Lorch courses I have to agree that you don't want to miss this place if you're visiting the Dallas area and like good disc golf. But don't leave out Harry Myers since it's also phenomenal.

Not sure if the course designer has ever played disc golf before

1    2/12/2017   2/13/2017
Review By: jeffp
Pros: Holes 1 and 14 are pretty good with multiple lines and a clear fairway with some nice obstacles
Cons: This course is more luck than skill. Almost every hole is a tunnel shot. The "fairways" just aren't there and you're going to hit trees. You just have to hope you don't get bad kicks or bad lies. There really aren't options off the tee, just throw through the least dense part of the woods and hope for the best. The rough is really rough, if you get 5' or more into it you're just going to have to pitch out. A lot of the holes have oddly placed doglegs that don't match the flight path of any disc or throw I've ever seen in 15 years of disc golf. For example hole 9 has a dogleg right about 150' off the tee and it continues for at least another 100'. The only way you're going to get to the basket is if you get an absolutely ridiculous skip on a forehand and somehow manage to not hit any of the trees and bushes that you can't see from the tee. You're just as likely to get a bad skip and end up in a bush playing for bogey. On most of the holes on this course the strategy is "I'm going to throw at that tree and hope I miss it" which is to me the definition of a bad hole.
Other Thoughts: I played this course yesterday for the first time to practice for the Texas Amateur Championship. Unfortunately I'm going to have to play this course again during the tournament but I expect that this will be the last time I play this course. This is the first course out of the approximately 50 courses I've played that has frustrated me enough (and not in a good way) that I felt it necessary to write a review.

Fun and exciting tight-line course

1    1/1/2016   1/2/2016
Review By: radsnowsurfer
Pros: Awesome tree lines that forces a wide variety of shot shapes
Majority of holes offer risk/reward and a chance of birdie-->bogey score span
Nice tees and decent signage, easy navigation
Holes 9, 10, 14 are particularly nice, memorable holes
Challenging but fair, no reliance on OB for difficulty
Course is in really good shape, well-maintained
36 holes on the property make for a complete disc gold experience
Bathroom on sight
Cons: For some, lack of chance to air out big drives
A portion of the middle holes in the woods feel a bit repetitive in nature
Lack of decisions, many holes just have one core line you're sort of "forced" to take
Not the most naturally pretty course, not much elevation or scenic shots.
Other Thoughts: This course was a real gem on my trip through the Dallas/Fort Worth area, I had a relaxing round where I didn't have to look too hard to find the holes, the course sort of made natural sense, and despite the tough winter conditions the course was in really nice shape overall. The Coyote course is the more technical of the two courses demanding straight accurate shots through a dense nest of tight fairways. With the other, longer and more open Beaver course next door, they make for an action-packed day of disc golf. I was a little sad that the Coyote course couldn't share in the excitement of the water holes afforded by the lake, which were the highlight of the other course for me. One aspect I really liked about this course was the fact that most of the ~300 foot holes were laid out such that depending on your drive you could end up with a birdie, par or bogey very easily, with some of the rough on the sides playing very difficult and forcing me to make tough choices between mid-range and driver shots. This is my favorite of the Dallas-area courses I was able to play this winter.

Great Low-Distance Course!

1    6/13/2015   6/14/2015
Review By: Jacob.Warren.89
Pros: For a guy like me who's best throw is about 300', this course worked out great for me. I believe the longest hole was just over 400ft on the shorts (which is where the holes were when I played), so I was relatively competitive. It was still challenging too because of the trees, a couple tunnel shots, different elevation levels off the teeboxes, and a few doglegs. All the teeboxes had easy to read maps of the holes so that's a plus too!
Cons: With all the crazy storms within the past months a few trees have fell down, and it's pretty swampy with the hole by the ravine ( I believe hole 12) . Also some of the teeboxes don't have trash cans/benches , which isn't necessary but it helps keep the park clean. Also there was one teeboxes I can't remember the number of the hole but the teeboxes was like 4ft by 6ft -ish Real Small.
Other Thoughts: I think this will be a go-to for me now, especially since I got my 1ST ACE ON HOLE 18!! Thanks to whoever it was cleaning/fixing up the course, I'm sure all my little cons will be fixed by the time I post this &#128077;&#127996;

The Twisted Sister

5+    7/22/2014   8/1/2014
Review By: snunnone
Pros: More elevation changes than Beaver. Tighter lines. Shorter. Good use of elevation and foliage. Water is close on this course but no danger. Concrete tee pads. Well maintained. Nature preserve. Light traffic most of the time even though it is a popular course.
Cons: Snakes and poison ivy but have never seen snakes. Vandalism.
Other Thoughts: This is my other home course and is the twisted sister of the Beaver course. You will find this course is shorter than the other by a little but also has tighter lines to hit. If you have a long throwing friend, bring him/her here and make them be accurate.
Elevation changes are greater here than Beaver and you will have to play smarter. Two awesome courses side by side make for phenomenal disc golfing.

PS-First tee is around the corner past the pond.

Cedar Hill's younger smarter course

1    4/28/2014   4/28/2014
Review By: Slimrn
Pros: -Shorter but more technical.

-Good signage and tee pads.

-Portapotty in parking lot.

-Sister park on site for some variety.

-Beautiful park.

-Variety of shots needed to play this course well- no two holes are the same and the entire round was interesting.
Cons: -Can be confusing to find the next tee.

-Some shots are very tight (18) and have lots and lots of trees or doglegs!

-"MELK" has been here.
Other Thoughts: -If you use the iUdisc app, I created a course map for this one today. It should help
(me at least) find my way around next time.

-Probably my favorite course to date.

Best ever

5+    8/1/2013   8/3/2013
Review By: EL WORM
Pros: Best course of the two at the park.. One hole that me and my friends call the "Kunya" is my fav. Its a 200+ yards hole that goes down hill and tucks right under a big tree.. Best course ever played
Cons: Needs lighting for night time gaming
Other Thoughts: would be nice if they sold discs or equipment at the park

One of my favorites

5+    6/15/2013   6/15/2013
Review By: JeremyKShort
This review was updated on 6/18/2013
Pros: This is one of my favorite courses in the DFW area. It is a very tight, wooded, technical course. It's a course to show off al your mad tree hitting skills. This is very much a finesse over power course. There are just enough open holes to keep it from getting repetitive.
Cons: The terrain can be a bit rough. At some holes it almost appears that a hiking trail was slightly widened to allow a disc golf course. If you throw or skip off into rough, it can be unpleasant finding you disc. The course is very popular and parking can be very tight.
Other Thoughts: It's also nice to have Beaver, the other course at the park. Beaver is much more open and is a nice compliment to Coyote. You can play both at the same visit.

1    5/25/2013   5/26/2013
Review By: TheHipstick
Pros: Concrete tee pads. Signs on every hole. Very well kept course.
Cons: Seemed to me that there to many tunnel shots on the course. A bigger area for parking would be nice. The course layout didn't seem to flow very well. Had to search to figure out where the next hole started.
Other Thoughts: Personally I thought some holes were to long to be par 3's. course requires you to be very accurate with your drive or the course will make you pay.

My new favorite course.

1    4/8/2013   4/8/2013
Review By: FairwayBeast
Pros: This course is amazing! My buddies and I have been touring DFW and this is the best I've played yet. A really nice mix of technicality. I'm a huge fan of bear creek but this course is way better. Not to mention it has two courses on one plot. Also the first time a sank a 106 foot fairway drive. I counted every foot.
Cons: I really didn't find anything that I disliked here. It's a really fun course and well planed.
Other Thoughts: It's a bit of a drive but you can play ALL day here and not be disappointed.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6