Cedar Hill, TX
Lester Lorch Park - Coyote DGC Share
Uploaded By: cooleyes37 Hole #3 (Taken 3/2009)
Hole #3 Tee: Plays straight down the rocky path for maybe 175' before turning fairly sharply to the right for another 80-90' to the pin.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6
KICKED MY TAIL

1    11/23/2018   12/5/2018
Review By: Can't get right
Pros: *very technical
*good opportunity for a variety of lines and techniques on several holes
*good use of terrain
Cons: *not knocking the signage but it would be good to upgrade them a bit to help make finding tees a little bit easier.
*finding hole #1 for first timers is a little bit difficult. Maybe a billboard or something similar would help.
*limited parking.
Other Thoughts: This course kicked my tail HARD. I liked it!!

It was a challenge for someone like me who's a bit less than average player. Having not played in a couple months, this course was wicked tough for me!

The workout we got walking the course was cool too. Lots of good elevation changes.

All-n-all I really like both of these courses for a good challenge. On this course, there's several blind shots, but it's difficult to lose discs unless you throw a really bad hyzer straight into the woods. This course is not great for beginners but fantastic for pros. For the average guy, bring your A game and extra water.

Heavy Woods with a Bite

5+    9/11/2018   10/7/2018
Review By: LeftyPower
Pros: Good tee pads
Lots of trees, mostly a heavy woods course which is rare in the area
Well placed baskets
Lots of elevation changes
Next to a another 18 hole course
Good amount of difficulty
Cons: A little tricky to navigate
no multiple tees
A few of the baskets move occasionally but most never move at all
You need to know where to walk from the parking lot to find the start of this course.
A few of the holes are more just a plinko game with no decent fairway.
Other Thoughts: If it is not too hot, this is a good destination for 36 holes of disc golf. Coyote is the harder of the two courses and has very winding and narrow fairways with heavy woods punishing errant shots. There are a few mostly open holes but otherwise you will be deep in it. Lots of the holes need a flippy or dead straight midrange from the tee rather than a full drive as you need to stay out of the woods at all costs. Lots of hills and elevations changes and some memorable holes make this a fun course.

Great Couse

5+    7/14/2018   7/15/2018
Review By: 34blast
Pros: Lot's of terrain change
Naturally a beautiful course
Lot's of super tight technical shots
Cons: Walk to first hole through the Beaver Course
Short tee pads on some holes
Other Thoughts: I've played alot and wish this course was closer. It is a true gem on one of the best

Beaver's more technical sister course

1    3/19/2018   3/20/2018
Review By: Chained Evil
Pros: Good mix of both short, moderate, and longer holes.
Lots of nice elevation change is present here as well.
Tunnel shots, threat of roll away putts, and lines that need to be shaped in order to score well. Low ceiling shots are present and holes that play dog leg left and right are present as well.
Signage is adequate and the tee pads are ample. There are benches here and there and directional arrows to assist in your navigation.
Multiple pin placements on many of the holes. Hole 1 has a good bit of length when it is in the long position at 530+ ft.
Cons: Bit of a long walk from hole 18 to get back to the parking lot. If you are playing Beaver then you could save holes 17 and 18 on go play Coyote and finish up that way.
For those players that like to use a cart I would caution that you are going to have your work cut out for yourself. Its not impossible but its not easy either.
There are a couple of places where it can be easy to get turned around a bit but not too bad.
A couple of the holes have a long distance from basket to the next tee. All of these cons should not discourage you from playing here.
Other Thoughts: The holes here at Coyote are shorter than those on the Beaver course, however they are also more technical. You need to have a complete game and be accurate in order to score well here. The layout is fun and the golf is challenging so what more can you ask for.
When you couple this course with its sister right next door it makes for a nice day full of action.
If you prefer a course that is shorter and technical then Coyote will be right up your alley. Beaver offers more opportunities to air out some drives but also has some technical holes as well.
These course are both excellent and are must plays if you are in the area. Good quality Texas Disc Golf!

Technical disc golf at its best.

1    6/23/2017   11/10/2017
Review By: The Katana Kid
Pros: The course is mostly made up of hilly woods with tight lines. From a technical stand point it's one of the best courses I've seen. The course description of a "large nature preserve" says a lot. It's not only a well designed course through heavy woods, but a great piece of nature that's worth visiting.

Even though there are a few open grassy areas, the trees still come into play. For example, 18 is only 200 feet. One review calls it an ace run, which it is for better players. But when I looked at it I just shook my head. I'm predominantly RHFH but this line is made for a RHBH since the first 50 feet is a tight line between trees before opening to a field, then across it to the left the basket is set into the woods down the slope. It's an excellent challenge to end your round. I threw a Katana with my RHFH and got it through the trees then out of sight and with a perfect S curve it hit the chains. Although it didn't stay in for the ace that's still a very memorable shot which maybe causes more appreciation for the hole than it deserves. Anyway, my point is that with all the different lines and angles Coyote provides, you will be using all the shots in your arsenal and most of your discs to pull it off.
Cons: "Caution: Poisonous snake habitat-- rattlesnakes, water moccasins, copperheads, the coral snake." It is hard to say that snakes are a negative, but I kept thinking about it, especially when I was going after an errant throw in the rough. I had good boots on and it made me feel a little safer except for when I was reaching in a rough area without good visibility or walking under a thick canopy overhead which looked like a perfect hangout since some of these serpents like trees.
Other Thoughts: Eaarlier in the day I was at Harry Myers, which is a great Houck course. In a chat with some locals at Harry Myers, they said, "You should leave right now and go to Lester Lorch if you want the best around here. It's got the top 2 courses in the area!" After playing both Lester Lorch courses I have to agree that you don't want to miss this place if you're visiting the Dallas area and like good disc golf. But don't leave out Harry Myers since it's also phenomenal.

Not sure if the course designer has ever played disc golf before

1    2/12/2017   2/13/2017
Review By: jeffp
Pros: Holes 1 and 14 are pretty good with multiple lines and a clear fairway with some nice obstacles
Cons: This course is more luck than skill. Almost every hole is a tunnel shot. The "fairways" just aren't there and you're going to hit trees. You just have to hope you don't get bad kicks or bad lies. There really aren't options off the tee, just throw through the least dense part of the woods and hope for the best. The rough is really rough, if you get 5' or more into it you're just going to have to pitch out. A lot of the holes have oddly placed doglegs that don't match the flight path of any disc or throw I've ever seen in 15 years of disc golf. For example hole 9 has a dogleg right about 150' off the tee and it continues for at least another 100'. The only way you're going to get to the basket is if you get an absolutely ridiculous skip on a forehand and somehow manage to not hit any of the trees and bushes that you can't see from the tee. You're just as likely to get a bad skip and end up in a bush playing for bogey. On most of the holes on this course the strategy is "I'm going to throw at that tree and hope I miss it" which is to me the definition of a bad hole.
Other Thoughts: I played this course yesterday for the first time to practice for the Texas Amateur Championship. Unfortunately I'm going to have to play this course again during the tournament but I expect that this will be the last time I play this course. This is the first course out of the approximately 50 courses I've played that has frustrated me enough (and not in a good way) that I felt it necessary to write a review.

Fun and exciting tight-line course

1    1/1/2016   1/2/2016
Review By: radsnowsurfer
Pros: Awesome tree lines that forces a wide variety of shot shapes
Majority of holes offer risk/reward and a chance of birdie-->bogey score span
Nice tees and decent signage, easy navigation
Holes 9, 10, 14 are particularly nice, memorable holes
Challenging but fair, no reliance on OB for difficulty
Course is in really good shape, well-maintained
36 holes on the property make for a complete disc gold experience
Bathroom on sight
Cons: For some, lack of chance to air out big drives
A portion of the middle holes in the woods feel a bit repetitive in nature
Lack of decisions, many holes just have one core line you're sort of "forced" to take
Not the most naturally pretty course, not much elevation or scenic shots.
Other Thoughts: This course was a real gem on my trip through the Dallas/Fort Worth area, I had a relaxing round where I didn't have to look too hard to find the holes, the course sort of made natural sense, and despite the tough winter conditions the course was in really nice shape overall. The Coyote course is the more technical of the two courses demanding straight accurate shots through a dense nest of tight fairways. With the other, longer and more open Beaver course next door, they make for an action-packed day of disc golf. I was a little sad that the Coyote course couldn't share in the excitement of the water holes afforded by the lake, which were the highlight of the other course for me. One aspect I really liked about this course was the fact that most of the ~300 foot holes were laid out such that depending on your drive you could end up with a birdie, par or bogey very easily, with some of the rough on the sides playing very difficult and forcing me to make tough choices between mid-range and driver shots. This is my favorite of the Dallas-area courses I was able to play this winter.

Great Low-Distance Course!

1    6/13/2015   6/14/2015
Review By: Jacob.Warren.89
Pros: For a guy like me who's best throw is about 300', this course worked out great for me. I believe the longest hole was just over 400ft on the shorts (which is where the holes were when I played), so I was relatively competitive. It was still challenging too because of the trees, a couple tunnel shots, different elevation levels off the teeboxes, and a few doglegs. All the teeboxes had easy to read maps of the holes so that's a plus too!
Cons: With all the crazy storms within the past months a few trees have fell down, and it's pretty swampy with the hole by the ravine ( I believe hole 12) . Also some of the teeboxes don't have trash cans/benches , which isn't necessary but it helps keep the park clean. Also there was one teeboxes I can't remember the number of the hole but the teeboxes was like 4ft by 6ft -ish Real Small.
Other Thoughts: I think this will be a go-to for me now, especially since I got my 1ST ACE ON HOLE 18!! Thanks to whoever it was cleaning/fixing up the course, I'm sure all my little cons will be fixed by the time I post this &#128077;&#127996;

The Twisted Sister

5+    7/22/2014   8/1/2014
Review By: snunnone
Pros: More elevation changes than Beaver. Tighter lines. Shorter. Good use of elevation and foliage. Water is close on this course but no danger. Concrete tee pads. Well maintained. Nature preserve. Light traffic most of the time even though it is a popular course.
Cons: Snakes and poison ivy but have never seen snakes. Vandalism.
Other Thoughts: This is my other home course and is the twisted sister of the Beaver course. You will find this course is shorter than the other by a little but also has tighter lines to hit. If you have a long throwing friend, bring him/her here and make them be accurate.
Elevation changes are greater here than Beaver and you will have to play smarter. Two awesome courses side by side make for phenomenal disc golfing.

PS-First tee is around the corner past the pond.

Cedar Hill's younger smarter course

1    4/28/2014   4/28/2014
Review By: Slimrn
Pros: -Shorter but more technical.

-Good signage and tee pads.

-Portapotty in parking lot.

-Sister park on site for some variety.

-Beautiful park.

-Variety of shots needed to play this course well- no two holes are the same and the entire round was interesting.
Cons: -Can be confusing to find the next tee.

-Some shots are very tight (18) and have lots and lots of trees or doglegs!

-"MELK" has been here.
Other Thoughts: -If you use the iUdisc app, I created a course map for this one today. It should help
(me at least) find my way around next time.

-Probably my favorite course to date.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6