Cerritos, CA

< Prev 1 2 3
Putt & Approach practice

5+    12/26/2016   12/29/2016
Review By: Skyhumper
Pros: Well maintained park
Nice baskets
Great for beginners (I had one with me)
Good for practicing upshots
Can be played in 20 min
Cons: A few holes the next tee and basket are very close together
If it has rained recently the tee pads get muddy
Short/Minimal obstacles
Other Thoughts: I was visiting the area and this was fun course to get a few quick rounds in. As a newer player it was helpful in working on my approaches.

Not Enough Room

1    3/21/2016   3/21/2016
Review By: TommyGun'n
Pros: There are baskets and they are nice.
Tee Signs.
(Small) Teepads.
Introduction to the sport.
Cons: Not enough room for a Disc Golf course of any kind.
Tee's and Baskets are way too close together.
All straight shots. All sub 350 feet.
Other Thoughts: The amount of space here is laughable. I think one good disc golf hole could be made from this space. I understand the locals have long tees, but haven't played this layout.

Summer 2015

1    7/20/2015   7/20/2015
Review By: Questatement
Pros: All 9 baskets in place. Impossible to get lost. Ideal for kids or adults to get a taste of the sport.
Cons: A couple of next tee pads are literally less than 20' from the basket just played so you have to wait for the group in front of you to tee off and move down the fairway.
Other Thoughts: Three of the holes were so short that I ran them with a jump putt from the tee. Used a mid on hole 8 and the rest was putt and approach practice.

Good Intro course

1    10/13/2014   10/14/2014
Review By: aghanDG
Pros: -Concrete tee pads

-Defined course

-Well maintained grounds

-Little traffic on weekdays

-Free!!!

I took 4 people with me and they are all first timers. It wasn't busy on a weekday afternoon so it was really nice easy to provide a clinic for all 4 of them. I definitely recommend playing here with first timers.
Cons: - Baskets 6 and 8 are missing.

Don't over throw on 1 and 7, 1 is a fenced private picnic area and 7 is a car lot.

The Ground can get a little muddy if heavily watered.
Other Thoughts: Use this course to practice your mids and putting.

1    8/11/2014   8/29/2014
Review By: Art C
Pros: I've just started playing disc golf in the past 8 weeks. I've played Liberty Park about 6 times as it's good for a beginner, there aren't many trees to deal with.
Cons: The one disappointment is when I first tried this course there was one basket missing, since then two more have been stolen, and as I asked the grounds keeper if they were going to replace them. He said they may remove the rest of the baskets and remove the tee boxes as well due to finances.

Fun Little Pitch & Putt!

1    6/26/2014   6/26/2014
Pros: The park was a beehive of activity at 6:30 AM on a beautiful Wednesday morning. There must have been 20-30 people out walking or jogging on the track while others enjoyed other parts of this lovely little park. Besides the well used track, the park features a community center, ballfields, playground and picnic areas.

The disc golf course is set in an lovely grassy area that seems to be fairly isolated from the opther park users save the occasional walker/jogger passing through on the concrete pathway.

This pitch and putt features small than usual concrete tee pads. They suffice here as the longest hole is only 264'. The signs are great, unique to this course as far I can tell. They're larger than the basic fiberglass ones and show all the basic information, Hole #, distance, Par and a simple map showing a few trees. They're actually very nice looking.

The baskets are standard double chained older models, all in decent shape except for poor # 8 which has been taken for a ride.

The distances on the signs are slightly off in a couple of instances. # 2 sign says 235' and I estimate it at about 125'.

Most holes play under 200' making this less than a recreational course in my estimation and more in the line of a Pitch & Putt. All holes are flat and mostly just ACE runs.
Cons: The aforementioned # 8 basket currently missing.
Most holes playing under 200 feet.
# 3 sign is tagged.
Other Thoughts: Locals play a longer alternate version of the orginal 9 as well as a full 18. These are marked on sidewalks through the disc golf area. I think a local with knowledge of the course would be needed to play either of these alternate set-ups.

Beautiful little park. Enjoyable little 9 hole ACE run. Great place to bring that beginner or to come in search of those ACES!

Cool safari course; very short otherwise

2-4    8/13/2012   8/14/2012
Review By: TheSinator
Pros: Well-manicured grass park (in fact, they were mowing it when I walked up). Even though the park was very populated (over 100 other patrons), almost no one was near the disc golf stuff. I did see an old Asian couple playing together.

I don't know what else to put as a pro except for the fact that two of the safari tee shots are kind of cool: the one from the other side of the road (or alternate tee underneath the bridge) or the one that tees off between the power lines support.
Cons: In addition to the soggy, muddy ground, some of the baskets were in bad shape. #6 is tilted down on one side and up on the other. Normally I wouldn't care about this, but I actually had a near-ace on #6 hit the basket on the side that was leaning up. I don't know if it would have gone in or not, but it definitely would have been close. And I've never had an ace before, so that was a bummer.

I didn't like walking back to the beginning after finishing #9, but when I came back to the park the second time, I parked on Studebaker (in the park's alternate parking lot) to make the walk shorter.

The biggest con for the course is just how simple it is. Not only is it extremely short (I think almost all of the first 6 holes are under 200 ft), but there are minimal obstacles.
Other Thoughts: On #2, my disc landed in the path of the city mower, but the driver stopped and waited for me to putt. He also made sure throughout his sweeps that I wasn't impacted by the mowing. Very cool. After that, I left for an appointment nearby and when I came back an hour later, the sprinklers were on and the ground was soaked in many parts. I don't understand why they were running the sprinklers during the day. It felt good to get sprayed on such a hot day, but doesn't most of the water evaporate that way? Anyway, I tried a roller shot about 20 minutes later and wet grass ended that idea pretty quickly.

Lastly, if the original course is played as is, it should be considered Par 21 or so, instead of Par 27. When I finished the round, I used the safari course map on the links page and played that. It was much more challenging/enjoyable. I really appreciate whoever put that together. However, I had trouble finding some of the tees for the guerilla course. The tenth tee, for example (which was the one I was most looking forward to, since it's across the street), I could not find. If you stand where the map indicates, it seems like it would be extremely difficult to get your disc past the initial trees on the north side of the street, the trees on the median, plus the fence/trees/bushes on the south side of the street. Instead of going to where the bike path intersected the sidewalk connection, I moved up to just north of the street, between the trees. I still drove into a tree, though. Later, I teed off from under the bridge, which was a pretty unique spot.

Perhaps what was confusing was that there appeared to be multiple guerilla courses marked. Some of the tees were designated with white spray paint; others, with green or orange. And I didn't really see any that matched the guerilla map in the links section. Still, I think I will come back to play the guerilla course.

I'd give a 1.5 rating if it weren't for the well-maintained park and the availability of the guerrilla course.

Hehehe

5+    7/19/2012   7/27/2012
Review By: thugjitsu
Pros: Exceptionaly maintained
Great Area
Gorilla course is quite awesome and tee's for it are painted
Best for working on upshots
Cons: Public park, quite a few runners but never any random picnicers
Very short
Terrible baskets (makes you putt precise)
Crossing Fairways
Other Thoughts: It can be boring if you come here expecting too much, i love taking putters and mids out on the regular layout and bagging out working on controlled, accurate upshots.

The gorilla course is awesome and everything is painted, still can be tough to navigate but the locals are friendly and willing to help. the Gorilla course is not hard but its not terribly easy either and is worth trying out if you know someone who knows the layout.

Practice Mid-Range and Putts at a Beautiful Park

5+    12/15/2011   12/15/2011
Review By: SteveDG
Pros: This regularly manicured park has a designated area for disc golf. There is not much pedestrian traffic through the course. This is a fun place to practice your mid-range and putting game with three longer holes that you can let loose on a drive.

Holes one through three are a fairly basic. Throwing a ROC from the pad will get you close enough to birdie. Hole four is fun because it has more hazards like boulders and trees near the hole. It can easily bounce away from our hopeful position, even if you think you had a good throw.

Holes five and seven play near six foot chain-link fences. If your not careful you'll be climbing a fence to retrieve the disc and then get dinged for an OB. Hole six is on a little hill so if the disc doesn't land well it will roll twenty feet away.

Eight and nine are longer drives and a true Par 3. Hole nine is long and flat but the basket is right under an oak tree so there is a bit of technicality about it.
Cons: The park offers an additional "back nine" and an optional gorilla course. Unfortunately, the "back nine" was an afterthought which uses the 1-9 holes. It also crosses over much of the original nine drives. If you play this course on a busy day, the sand traps and OBs won't be the only hazards; watch your head.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course to warm up at if you plan on playing at El Dorado in Long Beach. This Cerrito course is only 10 minutes away from ElDo and plays in about 30 minutes if your by yourself. I've played it many times if I don't have time to play an eighteen. All in all a fun, little, quick course.

Putting Practice

5+    6/17/2011   6/20/2011
Review By: DocHaole
Pros: - Nice clean park with well maintained fairways.

- Mostly DG exclusive with a single path for other park users that are usually aware of the course and courteous.

- Ace opportunities on every hole, go ahead and pad your stats.

- Lights for night play, that goes a long way.

- Excellent putter course, this is a great place to take beginners and have the experienced play with a single putter.

- Navigation is relatively simple, not much chance of getting lost.
Cons: - Holes are super short
Tee pads are laughably short

- Baskets are in rough shape. Especially 4 and 6. Number 4 has been repaired, however with some chain that is a thinner gague, causing some good shots to go right through. Number 6 the chains are so tight that a good putt can bounce off the chains right back on to the grass.
Other Thoughts: This is an excellent course to practice your short game and I'm sure has a great gorilla layout.

The basic layout can get a big boring however is a nice course with little to no non DG traffic so it makes it a pleasant experience.

If you want a challenge it is a short drive to Eldo or La Mirada. But this is a great place to practice your short game with no crowds.

< Prev 1 2 3