Skamokawa, WA

Review By: palfalvy
Pros: * great hosts
* beautiful diverse scenery
* two courses
* lots of fun challenges
* well-marked, scorecard has a good map
Cons: * yes, be careful not to lose a disc but I don't know if you really need a spotter. I've played others that more readily eat discs.
* some shared baskets but doesn't really matter since so few people play at once
Other Thoughts: I played on a lovely fall day. There was no one there. I liked both courses. Each was of interest for different reasons. "Woodpecker" is shorter and enjoyable -- 10 baskets. "Raven" is longer, more challenging and more in the woods -- 18 basketswith three being added.

Lucky Mud DGC

1    8/30/2016   9/6/2016
Review By: reezyF
Pros: My three pros:

+Considering how remote this course is, i was unsure what to expect with the pads/baskets but all holes had hole number signs, some had concrete tees but most were dirt, there were several different basket types but they were all metal, good baskets no home-made ones like in the pictures. There were benches on several holes, a map at the course start, the BnB is onsite for staying overnite and they are in the works of building affordable cabins to rent. There is also a driving range, a small 9-hole course i didnt get to play and plans for another 9-hole course soon.

+Easily one of the most beautiful courses I have ever played. There are slight elevation changes from the rolling hills, moss covered trees and waist high ferns everywhere. I have always valued the natural beauty of courses and generally enjoy the course more when there's nice things to look at along the way.

+Really cool owners/operators- greeted us as we pulled in chatted and gave us some maps, pointed us on our way and even met us mid-round to send us off with some local goodies.
Cons: My three cons:

-The property is huge so maintenance has got to be pretty hefty, needless to say some of the rougher areas off the fairways were very overgrown and very capable of eating discs. The deep woods I expected to be thick with trees and plants but the more open holes were somwhat frustrating due to the search required to find the discs in the tall grass.

-There is a cool pond onsite that would be cool to throw over but it didnt really come into play (yet my GF still found a way to lose a disc in there)... It would have been cool to move a teepad or basket placement to get the pond into play somehow.

-Not so much a con, but a general annoyance that comes with a course like this is the required spotter. Its tempting to throw without one but every hole has potential to eat a disc, even if you see exactly where it went. As the course signs say "For the love of humanity use a spotter!"
Other Thoughts: I planned a trip to this course into our washington road trip and we were glad we did. Adam and his wife were really cool owners and wish all courses had friendly people like that to greet you. The course was as beautiful as expected with fun holes requiring different shots. Some holes were wide open fields, some super tight woods and all in-between. They have done a great job of taking a peice of property and putting a fun course all through it. While in town we stayed at Vista Park which is truly awesome also and pretty cheap, though we wish we couldve stayed at the inn for the views and cool people. We were so glad we came out- you should check it out too

Best Course I've Played on

2-4    8/6/2016   8/9/2016
Review By: Dlaxdaddy
Pros: Great diversity, lot's of ups and downs, driving range, friendly people/staff and the scenery.

Love the layout and the challenge that this course gives. Can be technical (which I need a lot of practice with) and provides an ample amount of distance driving as well.

I can't say enough good things about this course.

Make sure to call/email ahead of time!
Cons: Can be a pain looking for your disc(s) at times. There are a few patches that can get overgrown, and several ferns that are disc magnets.

Magic

1    5/26/2014   7/8/2014
Review By: humchris85
Pros: - On the grounds of a beautiful B&B. The owners were very nice and happy to have visitors.
- Elevation is used well. There are up-hills, down-hills, side hills, even some shots that were kind of flat.
- A healthy balance of lefts, rights, and straight ahead shots.
- Well maintained grounds. The fairways were nicely mowed.
- The course had a nice mixture of wide open holes and tightly wooded ones.
- Concrete tees on the original holes and natural tee pads on the new holes on the hill.
- Bob the caretaker of the course is both super nice, as well as being a great guide to show you around the course
- The course is beautiful, from the meadows to the woods, the ferns to the fawns. I could be happy hanging out there even without disc golf.
- New holes feel like an ancient forest with huge ferns and cool old trees throughout.
- Baskets on all 27 holes
- Distance markers along the longest hole, gave you some idea of how far you had thrown.
Cons: - Off of the fairways, some of the holes had waist high grass.
- Ferns on the new holes could easily swallow a disc.
- Signs drop off after hole 14(?).
- Without Bob with you, this could be extremely hard to find your way around on.
- Long drive out here from any major city (not really much of a con)
Other Thoughts: What can be said about Lucky Mud that hasn't already been said? It is amazingly beautiful. You make your way to the course along a narrow road that follows a creek up a valley. It all seems very rustic, then you turn up the driveway to Lucky Mud, and you are greeted by a house that to say the least, looks out of place for the rural nature of the place. The whole place is beautifully manicured. Grass is cut short along all of the fairways. We got there and introduced ourselves to the owners of the B&B before we took off to play. If you have the chance I would recommend staying out there for at least a night to truly get the experience. The front part of the course, up until hole 14 (I think), we played by ourselves, and did pretty well. But as luck would have it, Bob showed up right as we were about to go into the holes that weren't marked well to show us around. Bob is a great guy, always ready with a story and a smile. The golf was excellent, making you think about most of your shots quite a bit before you just huck wildly. You needed to use quite a few shots out of your bag to perform well out here. I've heard some people complain that there weren't enough long holes, but I felt the mix was ok. There is a great amount of risk vs. reward on this course. I took some chances going for aces on a couple holes, and ended up paying for it.
This course should be a must play for anyone traveling through WA. It is truly a labor of love, and you can see by all Bob, and the owners have done out here. Make sure to drop them a few bucks in the lawnmower fund.

Calling ahead for Bob is a must

1    6/17/2013   6/17/2014
Review By: 12thManJustin
Pros: Beautiful course, my buddy and I stopped here on our way to the Oregon coast last summer and it was the perfect start to our road trip. I called a couple days ahead of time and Bob was there waiting for us, he stopped mowing the lawn to play a round with us. I highly recommend playing the round with Bob, he was a great guide, and pretty good player, you need him to get around the course without getting lost. Additional holes were added as well.
Cons: Pants are not a bad idea, they're medal like plants but worse that'll sting you good if you're not aware; Bob was good about pointing those out. If Bobs not around then don't even bother, the only time he isn't there though is one or twice a month for grocery shopping in Astoria. I've spoken with one other disc golfer who has been to this course and he went on a day that Bob wasn't there; after getting lost a few holes in and losing two discs he bailed. My buddy and I were pretty fortunate not to lose a disc with all the ferns.
Other Thoughts: It was well worth checking out this course, Bob was a great host. The course was really, really peaceful and beautiful. We saw a couple of deer while we're playing the round. I hope to be back again one day.

Tranquility/Challenging

2-4    7/6/2013   7/21/2013
Review By: Steve G
Pros: Diversity! Wide open, closed-in, dog legs in both directions. Quiet ..........
Cons: Dense ferns and tall grass = spotters needed.
Signage not up to date makes getting around the backside cumbersome. (never did play the back 10 or so holes.)
Other Thoughts: My gal and I stayed two nights at the Inn and got in some Disc, a couple of times.Jessica and Sunrise are wonderful hosts. The surroundings of the home and the disc course are very peaceful. We'll be back, to stay longer and play more.

2-4    2/11/2011   2/14/2011
Review By: 503myles
Pros: An amazing variety of shots! This course has long shots, short tech shots, and half the holes are in a somewhat open fields, then the last half in the beautiful woods.. Theres an amazing little bed and breakfast to stay at on the course(and the owners are awesome!) Needless to say one of the most beautiful places I've ever been!
Cons: The signs could definitely be better, but luckily Bob( the maintense guy and co-course designer) lives on the land and is there to help navigate if needed.
Other Thoughts: Stay at the lucky mud inn and disc at least once in your life- it's a memory you'll remember forever!

one word; Ferns

2-4    7/20/2010   7/21/2010
Review By: Grublam
Pros: By far the most challenging course I've ever played. The amont of trees and ferns in the way is near phenonimal. The fairways are often about <5 feet. Extremely Challenging. The maintainer of the course; Bob, will play the course with you which is needed. And, he is spot on which helps finding the basket.
Cons: Not the best signed course. This is the only reason I gave it a 4.5 and not a 5. Without bob directing us around the course we would have had a hard time navigating it. And, if you dont like looking for discs, dont play here....Ever.
Other Thoughts: Each round (24 holes) took us about 2.5 hours for three players due to looking for discs and the occasional beer break. And, I was exhausted after one round.

Bob is the greatest guy to play with ever.

Most if not all baskets are now Chainstars

1    5/16/2010   5/20/2010
Review By: jaemes
Pros: I could try to say it better than everyone else that has reviewed the course but I wouldn't come close. The place is beautiful and I look forward to staying. I did not play the entire course but all the holes I did play (and could see) were Chainstar baskets.
Cons: None really. The drive is long but the whole point of this place is to get away from it all.
Other Thoughts: If you are couple that plays this would be great place to overnight on your way to the coast, or just stay for a couple nights as a destination.

Call ahead and please be the best possible person you can be, this is a private course that they graciously allow the public to play. I could see how just a couple of bad apples could ruin it for everyone.

lucky

1    5/5/2010   5/5/2010
Review By: joshkns
This review was updated on 3/25/2013
Pros: - Beautiful setting
- Well designed course
- Elevation shots
- Lots of wildlife

Everything great about this course has already been mentioned by other reviewers!!
Cons: None for me!!
Other Thoughts: It was nice to play a round with Bob, he is about the nicest person I have ever met. Make sure before you go, give them a call, they are very nice and help with directions.
The homemade baskets or the dirt teepads did not bother me at all, everything just kinda fits into place, a very relaxing and laid back experience.
Make sure you come prepared, the course is secluded and there is not any stores around for snacks or drinks.
Make the trip and play the course, I am kicking myself in the a** for not playing it sooner.

< Prev 1 2 3