Blairsville, GA
Meeks Park Share
Uploaded By: craigd Hole #4 (Taken 7/2009)
Hole #4 Long Tee: Short tee up and to the left. Slightly uphill and plays longer than you might expect.

Share URL:

1    12/29/2011   1/14/2012
Review By: bjreagh
Pros: Meeks Park has a very nice 18-hole disc golf course set on great disc golf land separate from the rest of the park (across the street actually!) Most of the holes are wooded and of the short-technical style, but there are few longer open holes mixed in to give the course some nice contrast and balance, which will give all players a chance to work on several aspects of their game in the same round. I enjoyed the hole design and found most holes to be interesting with little repetition. A straight shot (over length or shaping) is the most important shot here, but there a few holes that do require some versatility. Though this course is just in the foothills (and not actually in the big Appalachian Mountains that are nearby) there is still a good deal of elevation- holes play up and down, along the sidehills, and there are flat holes as well.

The course only has basic signs and non-concrete tees, but they are better than nothing and get the job done. Each hole has 2 tees- the longer tees not only add length of varying amounts, but also either change the angle slightly or move the tee back to where a couple more trees are in play right off the tee. And the Discatchers are in great shape.

Navigation is pretty easy, I skipped around my first time playing holes out of order to avoid some large groups (and the impending nightfall), yet I had no problem finding all the holes. *Note there are a couple places where paths to the next hole cross over (from 5 you pass 14 to get to 6, and from 13 you pass 6 to get to 14- look at or print the course map and you will have no problems).

There was interesting sculpture along one hole. A picnic pavilion with restrooms by holes 1-3 (they were closed in Winter, but there was a port-a-pottie).
Cons: Just some minor things- The placement of hole 1 is a little strange- the first thing you come to from the parking lot is #1's basket, then you must walk up 1's fairway to get to the tee (rather dangerous if someone is teeing off!). Holes 3 and 4 were kind of boring to me being just long and open (which is good to contrast the woods), but there are only 1 or 2 trees in play providing very little that could punish an errant drive of somebody who might try for that extra 20 feet off the tee. The flow does not return until hole #18, however, the course is not that taxing physically even with a couple of hill climbs.

There were supposedly 2 tees per hole, but there were a couple (3 and 8 for instance) where I was unable to find them both. (I was playing fast, so I assume they are there.) Having natural tees and only 1 tee sign made some of them harder to find.

There is a walking path throughout that is definitely in play on several holes. And also a fenced dog park area in the middle of the course- plays as O.B. and there is a gate to retrieve a disc if thrown into that area.
Other Thoughts: Meeks is definitely a solid public parks course, great for everyone. Though it is probably not a destination course, if you are in the area then check it out. If I lived here I would enjoy playing this course often!

Note- the course is not actually in Meeks Park, but across the street at the Community College entrance on the left just past the Sr. Citizens Center.

Also in this region there are lots of state parks, hiking trails, and waterfalls nearby, including the beginning of the Appalachian Trail.

Great Course!

1    11/14/2011   11/14/2011
Review By: Chigger Hamby
Pros: Two tees per hole
Nice Innova Double chain baskets
GREAT mix of holes (long, short, hyzer, anhyzer, wooded, open)
Easy to navigate
NO CROWD
Bathrooms at hole 1
Beautiful views
Benches EVERYWHERE
Cons: Tee pads can be uneven
Other Thoughts: First time I played here, I LOVE IT. I travel to Blairsville for work frequently and will play this course every chance I get.

Nice Technical Course

1    3/7/2011   3/15/2011
Review By: culinarywiz
This review was updated on 1/26/2012
Pros: Sexy Park

Fair fairways

A few long holes mixed in to keep the big arms happy

Sweet elevation

Smooth flow
Cons: Gravel pads

A bit unbalanced on the short side
Other Thoughts: No doubt this is a fun course.

If you can superbly control a midrange, you will do very well here. Not to say there is no lenght at all. There is a 700+ft. par 6 to contend with. Also, three more holes in the 400-500ft range. These will force you to keep your drivers in the bag and not in the car. But make no mistake, this course is layed out for tight, finese shots. Courses like this are cool, 'cause you dont need an arm cannon to compete. You need accuracy. This is a course you can bring some friends and no one gets left too far behind.

As with pretty much all the courses in this area, the elevation was top shelf. You toss up and down tight shoots as well as over hill crests to blind pins. There are some winding fairways, but no hard dog legs come to mind, except perhaps hole 8...and this is more of a tight left curve.

I played longs and still used my putter off of multiple tee's. Not just due to lack of distance, but the need for accuracy. You are constantly playing in tree lined fairways. Stay the path, even if you fall short. The recovery was actually not too punishing, but the paths to the pin were always clear.

This is definitly a worthy stop. I had a good time here. This course will expose weakness in your short game while still giving you some chances to break loose.

Great Course in the Mtns.

5+    9/6/2010   9/17/2010
Review By: htorbit
Pros: Beatiful Mtn views around course. Two sets of tee pads for different skill levels. Long and short holes. Technical and non-technical holes. Woods do not have much undergrowth. Bogies and birdies possible on most holes. Very fun course. A few benches around course. Restrooms next to hole 1. Many holes have elevation changes. You will have to throw most types of shots on this course. Course doesn't receive much play except for a few die hard locals.
Cons: Tee pads need to be taken better care of as they are soft and grassy. Concrete tees would make my rating of this course go higher. Dog area just created off left side of hole 15 fairway,changes how I appraoch this hole. People walk dogs through out course and most have no clue what disc golf is so be careful as their walking trail crosses several fairways. Tees could be longer on a few holes.
Other Thoughts: Pay no attention to par on tee signs. All holes except 3 and 9(long tees on both of these holes are par 4) are par 3.

Bring an Archangel

1    5/11/2010   8/9/2010
Review By: CatFish
Pros: Pretty course. Mostly open, wide fairways through the woods for the most part.
Cons: One long hole was just down a road. Kind of boring. I was able to play most of it with just my Archangel. Par was set too high. I had a number of eagles, and many birdies.
Other Thoughts: Course is next to an old folks home so par may be set higher for them. If so its justified. Pretty course, eat your wheaties and do some cardio before you go, it is very hilly. Very fun, I'll definitely go back.

Had a good time on this one.

1    9/18/2009   5/20/2010
Review By: BACKhand13
Pros: The course is in the mountainous region of north Georgia and the views and the park itself are beautiful. It really was very enjoyable to play on this course.

The holes have a lot of variety throughout the course. You start the round off with a few short and long wide open holes. As you keep playing through the holes they become more and more technical. Soon enough you feel like you're in the forest instead of Meeks Park.

After playing on my home course which has tees that are rubber pads the crushed stone teepads were awesome to throw from! The course looked as if it was taken care of regularly.
Cons: There aren't many of these but on a few of the holes (especially hole 9) the grass was almost high enough to make me feel like Indiana Jones cutting through brush.

A few of the holes were not easy to find. Where you would expect a hole to start at the end of the last hole, there were some holes where you would have to walk back almost to the previous teepad for the next hole. There is plenty land where they could have made this course's layout easier to navigate.

At my regular course, holes anywhere from 275' to 500' are considered par 3's. Something that bothered me about Meeks Park was that even from the far tees, a hole that I would have normally considered an easy par 3 would be a par 4. So, my score at the end of the day was something like -10 whereas on my regular course I normally shoot somewhere around even par.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed playing the course and would definitely go back and would recommend anyone to go play at this beautiful course.
I would recommend a guide or a map for this course.

Fun to play

2-4    3/13/2010   3/18/2010
Review By: dandaman
Pros: The course is very scenic with beautiful views of mountains and streams. There is good elevation change for most of the course and in general all signs, baskets and teepads were in good upkeep. The front nine (with the exception of #2) is one of the best opening sequence of holes for a course that I have played.
Cons: The back nine is the biggest drawback for this course.

Some of the shorter holes that were in the 200-250 ft.range, were border line fair.

Lots of low lying branches in the fairways, teeing areas and on smaller trees caused many 'no-see-um' wayward shots.

Several fairways come really close to one another and create traffic issues during tournament play.

Other Thoughts: The course is realtively well thought out. I would have asked for one more hole that was uphill, and not 'border line fair'.

The course is well-loved and taken care of, a definete plus considering that it is an "out-of-the-way" kind of course.

The land that was avaialble appears to be put in good use. Sometimes its tough to get 18 high quality holes on land that really supports about 14.

Mountain lovin'

1    12/19/2009   12/19/2009
Review By: billnchristy
This review was updated on 3/11/2010
Pros: A good variety with the challenge of tight woods and massive elevation changes.
A decent amount of left and right doglegs and definitely a lot of up and down.
Decent tees, not horrible, not fantastic
Adequate signage and benches at regular intervals.
Small next tee stickers tell you the general direction to go.
A couple mandos from the longs adding to the challenge a bit.
Cons: If this course was ever busy it would probably look like a cluster, several tees and baskets are very close, several fairways cross as well.
Crosses walking paths several times that seem to be frequented by senior citizens...while they certainly do not appear out of nowhere, they do take a bit to get out of range.
Some rough traversing up and down the side of the large hill which is a signature part of the back 9 when it is wet.
Other Thoughts: What a beautiful course. We played the longs and certainly got humbled. There were several holes which were just wow...like the bomb off the hill for 11 at 269' that you can practically putt off because the drop is so big...in fact I did and overshot the basket by about 100'. There are other holes that wind along the steep slope of the hill (12,13,14) that if your disc catches wind or you get a roll, you can end up all the way down the hill...it happened to me on 12 and to my wife on 13, she rolled all the way down the hill to the path and "saved" a 7.
Our drive took us up and over a mountain into an area that was more like upstate NY than GA...this took us back and made us very happy. It was a nice, relaxing break from the nerve fraying traffic of Gwinnett County.
It was well worth a 99mi trip and we will come back! On the way home we met a local at a BBQ joint that plays there all the time, it was nice to be able to chat about disc golf with a random stranger.

**3/11/10 Update**

We played the shorts last weekend in preperation for Meeks Madness 2010. Much more agreeable for mediocre/decent players. Just as fun and just as enjoyable though.

Really nice course

1    7/6/2009   7/15/2009
Review By: adam423
This review was updated on 7/20/2009
Pros: Well designed course that makes use of elevation and mixes open and wooded holes, with emphasis more on shorter, technical holes. Each hole had a long and short tee that were gravel, but were in great shape. Also there was a gravel ring around the baskets, I assume to help with erosion, but also kept the disc from rolling away. The walk between holes was quick easy to follow, and the baskets had arrows pointing toward the next tee. The park was well kept, and wasn't crowded when I was there. The pines also provided nice shade, and kept a layer of needles on the ground to kill off any undergrowth. Restrooms were located at the beginning of the course.
Cons: The back 9 had some really short holes (~200 or less). I wish they were longer because it was a let down after a solid front 9.* It took a few minutes to find the first hole(its on the left coming from the parking lot). Some of the baskets(15, 18) had two numbers on them and was a little confusing. I confused the 9 and 11 baskets(9 is to the left in the trees, 11 is in the open). The walk from 14-15 crossed 6's fairway, unless you walk behind the basket. There were a few holes we had to wait on walkers because the paths were in the fairway. Could have used some trashcans around the park. The big one for most people is probably the gravel tees, but these were in pretty good shape I thought, better than most I've seen, so it wasn't really a con for me.
Other Thoughts: I would love to have this course closer to me.

*I wrote this review having played from the short tees only.

Very Fun Course

1    6/27/2009   6/30/2009
Review By: Thundering Elephants
Pros: I liked the variety of this course! There was enough open holes to keep my sanity, but plenty of wooded holes to keep me challenged and cursing at the trees. There is also a good amount of elevation play both up and down. There are some really short holes, and there are a couple really long holes. I found I did not get bored as there seemed to always be a new challenge. The course was not crowded at all. I think I saw one other group as I was finishing up. It was very well maintained and the grass was cut. I really appreciated the clean restroom facilites and for those packing a lunch there is a nice picnic pavilion near the parking lot and hole 3. There are adequate signs and I was able to find all but one basket with no trouble. There are also gravel tees which are not great, but adequate and there are two tees per hole for pros & recs like myself. Adequate benches are spread throughout the course. I loved the fact that in the woods, there was not really any undergrowth to speak of. No poison ivy on steroids, which always makes things more enjoyable, and finding discs much easier.
Cons: This course is kind of in the middle of nowhere (no offense if you live in Blairsville), at least it's a beautiful drive there. I don't really have any personal problems with this course, other than the 2 holes I remember that were barely over 100 ft. My other complaint is that the tee boxes are short. I remember tripping on the landscape timber on one hole b/c of this, but if I were bright, I would have started further back.
Other Thoughts: I probably should rate this a 3 1/2 judging by reviews prior to mine by people more educated than me, but for me personally, this is one of my favorite courses I have played. Granted, I've only played about 20 courses, but this one just had me wanting to keep playing. I can't remember playing a course with such a good fun/challenge ratio. Most really challenging courses leave me in a frustrated cursing state, but I didn't find that here. I also appreciated the mailbox on hole 1 which had scorecards. The first tee: when you are walking towards the pavilion from the parking lot, take the gravel path to the left about 200' and 1st tee is on your left throwing back towards the pavilion.