Frankenmuth, MI

< Prev 1 2 3 4
Best course for miles

5+    5/7/2017   7/16/2017
Review By: The Meech
Pros: -Great holes. This course is awesome because it allows you to throw shots you want to throw. Line-shaping is one of my favorite things in disc golf, and there are plenty of opportunities for it here. There are so many holes that you can attack a variety of ways.
-Open, but not boring. You get to air out shots without always worrying about clipping a tiny branch here, which is a ton of fun. Wonderful, diverse hole design always keeps the shots interesting, but workable.
-Course makes great use of the elevation changes here. Courses with actual elevation are nonexistent around this part of Michigan, so this course is a huge breath of fresh air.
-Great use of hazards without any real danger or losing discs. The creek that runs through the course comes into play on a ton of shots, and forces you to throw a shot that accounts for its presence.
-Course is very well-maintained
-Generally not very crowded
Cons: -Several tee sign distances are completely off for some reason. Numbers 9 and 11 are listed as 60+ feet shorter than what they actually are.
-The course has crappy cover bands come in and play smack in the center of the course every Sunday in the summer. Thousands of people flock in hours in advance, and being mostly senior citizens, people are almost totally oblivious to disc golfers and will walk right in front of you, set up lawn chairs, and even drive their car right in front of you to park on the course instead of just walking from the parking lot. It's extremely frustrating and obnoxious, and it really doesn't matter how early you play on Sunday because people will be doing this all day. People will even pick up your disc and pass it around to their friends wondering what it is, and you basically have to yell at them to put it back.
-That said, it's obviously a multi-purpose park. There will always be people walking around with no clue what's going on.
-The creek is actually pretty deep and very hard to access due to steep banks in some places, so you may have to do a little work to get your disc back if you throw it in there.
Other Thoughts: This is the best course in Mid-Michigan by quite a margin. I know my con list is pretty large, but it mostly revolves around the Sunday obnoxiousness. Other than that, this course is phenomenal.

Well manicured course

2-4    8/29/2016   3/3/2017
Review By: jmherman
Pros: This is a great course, lot's of hills, well manicured. Baskets are in great shape. Nearby city has lot to offer. This course is in a public park. Hole lengths vary and also some challenging wooded shots. Not a lot of hazards to lose your discs, but definitely still possible. I recommend this course for beginners.
Cons: Although not listed as a pay site, disc golfers are encouraged to leave a donation of $1. Not a huge con for sure. During the summer and nice days, the park fills up with people, making you cautious to ensure you know where they are and not hitting them.
Other Thoughts: I've enjoyed playing this course and will continue to play it regularly.

Top of the Line City Park

1    7/1/2016   7/1/2016
Review By: geodude
This review was updated on 8/25/2016
Pros: Beautiful City Park, in a Year-round Christmas-Bavarian style tourist town, Walk thru the Rose Garden between two holes, Lots up/down, reasonable trees, challenging enough for everyone in our group, Course map on line and onsite. Bathrooms were spotless, drinking fountain at bathroom. Great elevation changes, good layout
Cons: Could use one more drinking fountain at tee 12 let's say, or at the Rose Garden since irrigation is already there, I am nitpicking here folks. Could use some anhyzer/sidearm holes, I threw backhand on every tee. Oh, and they ask for a buck donation to play....
Other Thoughts: Good date getaway, Disc with your partner at day, ride the horse carriage for a romantic outing at night. You want her to like disc don't you? .

Fun Golf!

1    8/7/2015   8/10/2015
Review By: GetMeOutdoors
Pros: It's so much fun to play a course that is well thought out, has an interesting variety, and is well balanced. This course has all three, plus the signage and tee pads are well done.

No 2 holes stood out to me on this course as being alike and no hole was boring either. The terrain, water, and trees were used to keep holes and shots interesting. Still technical but not intimidating. The water is there and you have to pay attention to it but never in the fear of losing discs.

The $1 donation is happily given for a course of this calibur.
Cons: Multiple tee locations, for women and youth, would make this course spectacular. Would also suggest a map/scorecard sheet at the starting tee. It had everything else.
Other Thoughts: Whew! # 13 was a killer for me. Took 3 shots just to get into putting range. I'm not a long thrower so that was my least favorite but that's just my preference.

Ran into a few other players on the course and was struck by how friendly everyone was. Made it all the more enjoyable.

This is a MUST PLAY course if in the area!

hilly and fun

2-4    7/19/2015   7/27/2015
Review By: jamesdevin
Pros: good use of hills
in a clean park
some longer holes
good tee pads
aceable 18th hole
good tee signs
Cons: people may be walking on paths near some pins
cant go long on some holes
Other Thoughts: some really nice holes and good amount of elevation change. a good drive will be needed to score well here not many short holes. It's a well done course in a quiet park and I recommend this course. Will play again soon

Really Enjoyed This Course

1    7/23/2014   7/27/2014
Review By: rhelt100
Pros: As others have said, excellent use of the elevation. Not a lot of it to be had in most places out here but this park had huge hilltop throws, uphill throws, and everything in between.
Props for the friendly locals too. We were approached in the parking lot and offered a tour guide. He ended up in a match for plastic but we got some good tips.
Cons: No real cons that I can think of. I will comment though, that this course heavily favors RHBH throwers. This worked out well for me because I am a RHBH thrower.
Other Thoughts: Worth a trip to play this one. We were camping up at the tip of thumb and this was the closest course with a good rating. We drove almost two hours to play it and it was worth it.

east side gem... even in january

1    1/13/2014   1/13/2014
Review By: apdrvya
Pros: Aesthetic-- plays through a very very large multi-use park. I can imagine that this park is crazy busy during peak times.

Baskets-- discraft with orange reflective tape... all in great repair, who could ask for more.

Teepads-- from what I could see through the snow, the teepads are super nice. tapered to the follow through zone nice and level and in good repair.

Teesigns-- excellent. map, par, distance (accurate) and next hole...seriously, who could ask for more.

Routing and nav-- not bad with the map on here. I would seriously say to either bring a map or take a pic of the one at the kiosk.

upkeep-- the kiosk is super nice, the map is big and clear and the donation container is a really nice touch. I can't say that I donated but I had zero cash...

challenge/risk v reward-- the use of elevation is pretty amazing here. every ounce of elevation available is utilized. the creek is the focal point of the course, winding through and over many of the fairways.
Cons: Variety-- Yep. I have to say the overabundance of left fades got old really fast. kind of a yawn in the variety department. the elevation and water keep it interesting though.

proximity to other amenities-- course comes close to bridges, paths and parking lots. errant throws could be an issue.
Other Thoughts: the negatives are really nit-picky. this is a gem of a course that I surely will play in the spring/summer to see what (if anything) I missed.

Michigan's secret!

2-4    7/3/2013   7/9/2013
Review By: JBryant
Pros: Great use of elevation. The designer(s) should be commended with how they took the time to look at the property and use it to make it the best.

Some of the best concrete pads in the state of Michigan. If Flip City had these pads, it would be a 6!

Beautiful course. I saw one piece of trash and it probably blew out of the trash can. The course couldn't be better maintained. Trash cans, picnic areas, beautiful green hills were all throughout this course.

Great baskets. I think MACH Vs. I enjoyed these baskets the more I played on them.

Good use of road OB and water OB.

Great location that is close to an indoor water park and cool shops.

Cons: Being my first time, I'm so glad I met some locals who knew the course and were good disc golfers. Made my round more challenging and fun. They made for competition and really were great with my 10 yr old nephew who was just starting out. Thanks Nate and Kyle!

A few hole were quite long! I love bombers but I like that ace run just as much. This also made for a long round hence I did not have time for another :( I did play the first few holes and was two down after hole five. Reaaaallly wanted to finish that out.

Lot of backhand righty hyzer. Not complaining but I can see how it would make a forehander or lefty feel.

I really have no other gripes with Memorial. I did not have the long waits that you heard from other reviews.
Other Thoughts: I heard that during a tournament they had a hanging basket between holes two and three. I would put that basket back, change all the numbers, and make 18 be the current 17. The final hole (18) is a shorty with OB all around it. I would utilize that basket as practice. OR use 18's basket from 17's pad as the final hole. Take out 17's basket and move it near the start and use it as practice.

This course was 1 of 3 top rated courses I played while on my trip. I enjoyed this course very much and was sad I couldn't better my score with a second round (not enough time) I slammed chains on hole 10 and it spit out. Would of been one wicked ace!

This is a great town that now is a must visit with this disc golf course.

I love seeing all the positive course reviews! - Alex McCallum

5+    12/23/2012   1/23/2013
Review By: McC.Alexander
Pros: concrete tee pads
marked tees
elevation changes
variance of long and short drives
small water hazards
park is well taken care of
Cons: other park visitors frequent the fairways causing delays
occasional hole taken down in winter for sledding in the park

Other Thoughts: This course was started via my Eagle Scout project (Troop 275) where I introduced disc golf to the community via Parks and Recs meetings and a presentation given at the schools, designed a full 18 hole layout, found funding for 4 holes (thanks to the original hole sponsors: Frankenmuth McDonalds, the Zew Crew, Ron Schoen of Bridgeport Mini Storage, and Discraft and the former Dixie Cut Stone for the concrete), and installed holes 4, 5, 17, and 18 (to make for a nice 4 hole practice loop).

Frankenmuth News did a little article on the project and can be found in the archives here: http://www.frankenmutharchive...003-12-17.PDF
(obviously some things have changed since then :) )

It is very awesome to see all of the positive reviews everyone has given this course on here. Makes me proud to have started such a well loved course. it sure has come a long ways since it was started and the additions have seriously made this course one of the best in the area.

- Alex McCallum

Clean, big, and satisfying!

5+    9/6/2012   9/11/2012
Review By: apparition
This review was updated on 1/25/2013
Pros: + Always clean and well-maintained
+ Designed with a logical layout with varying distances, elevation changes, and with only minimal tree coverage makes this THE course for learning to control your drives
+ Pin placements make for slightly challenging drives, with the majority of them smack dab in the middle of a group of trees making for good putting practice
+ A creek winds through the course serving as a faithful water hazard
+ A couple bridges and stepping stones also add to the charm of the course.
+ The course is very forgiving; bad shots don't cause much of a problem with most of the holes have a couple decent approach options
+ The only course in the region perfect for night golf
+ Plenty of picnic tables
+ The Lager Mill store is nearby and carries a quality selection of Innova and Discraft discs
Cons: - Sports teams/groups practice here during different seasons (late August pee-wee football started practicing in the afternoons on hole #10, which is many people's fave hole)
- Tennis lights stay on too late and ruin hole #11 during night rounds
- Not the place to go for serious short game practice
- I wish #13 had a small gap in the trees for risky RHBH shots
Other Thoughts: This is my second favorite course in the area (behind Wickes Woods). It's just a fantastic place to play. The moderate elevation changes are very nice; they add the element that Saginaw, Midland, Freeland, and Sanford lack. The hills make for a decent walk, but it's easy to make the round a workout by jogging between some of the holes (uphill/downhill). My favorite thing about this course are the huge trees. Oh, the trees! The weeping willow trees are gorgeous and TREACHEROUS! I love them. The course is also big and spread out. It's so nice that such a big park in a such a small, charming town has a reputable disc golf course.

This is a course that beginners can enjoy learning on because it's not a complicated layout, they won't be losing discs left and right, they can practice big drives and accurate upshots, and putting is fairly straightforward (except #15, *sneer*). #15's pin placement on the hillside makes for a memorable hole :) It's also great for seasoned players and throwing new discs as almost every hole allows you to really air out your drives. The one really long hole (#13) can be frustrating for righthanders because of the cluster of trees in front of the tee.

I will continue to play this course again and again. I will play it solo, with people I want to introduce to disc golf, and with the rest of my friends who are in love with the sport. This is just a top notch course that isn't trying to be super technical or tight, a great change of pace from the other courses nearby.

Thanks for reading!